Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I need help in preventing and fixing upper lip lines!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
Each day I am watching upper lip lines developing and do not know what to do! I am not a smoker! I have searched this topic and could not find anything recent other than shaving! Has anyone out there tried a product that truly works for upper lip lines other than lips to kiss! Thanks!
Justine1900
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
Two things have worked, independently of each other: Dysport, which only lasts 6 weeks in the lip area, and Juvederm, which lasted a year.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
Resty and Juve injected into vertical lines. Both last about a year and seem to improve the skin over time. I seem to need less of it as time goes by.

However, if you do not want injections, you can minimize them with Retin-A or Taz and some peels.
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
Justine and Abbey: I would love to get Restylane but my lines are just coming up and visible only in the morning so the doc. will not do anything until things get much worst! I would love to prevent lines from forming and make the existing ones improve!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:56 pm      Reply with quote
Starlight,
Even though it's off label, Botox can help in the area above the lip. It will keep wrinkles from developing, but you will need a VERY experienced physician to do the injections.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:45 am      Reply with quote
I had Juvederm for lip augmentation. It was injected from the inside. But it also worked to get rid of tiny lines above the lips. I think it was very worthwhile. I had one vial which cost me about $400, and it lasted a year.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:42 am      Reply with quote
Drinking from straws can cause these lines too.

I think I would start of with retin-a and vit c serum. It will take a while but you start to see improvement after about 6 months or so (from what I have read).
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Starlight,
Even though it's off label, Botox can help in the area above the lip. It will keep wrinkles from developing, but you will need a VERY experienced physician to do the injections.

I am amazed at how many areas botox is used for! I am scared of bad results such as droopiness. You are right about finding a experienced physician! Living in a small town there is not very much choice of experienced physician, and I do not know how to go about finding one. If you know of any tips please share! Thanks
cacipony
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:13 am      Reply with quote
omg...im suffering fm 'smile lines' and im like only 22!!! i hate it when those lines stay!!

any product recommendations?
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:41 am      Reply with quote
cacipony wrote:
omg...im suffering fm 'smile lines' and im like only 22!!! i hate it when those lines stay!!

any product recommendations?

Expression lines on a young person does not make the person look old. Age related lines are very diff. since those are due to loss of elasticity and collagen. My advice is wear a good sun screen and a moisturizer. Most important of all enjoy your youth and do not worry. I promise you when you are middle aged you will wish that those care free days were back!
Justine1900
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
You will need deep pockets for Botox around the lips. As I said, the Dysport only lasted 6 weeks, and that lasts longer than Botox.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
Starlight wrote:
kims wrote:
Starlight,

I am amazed at how many areas botox is used for! I am scared of bad results such as droopiness. You are right about finding a experienced physician! Living in a small town there is not very much choice of experienced physician, and I do not know how to go about finding one. If you know of any tips please share! Thanks

Starlight,
Are you close to a larger city where you might be able to look into a good derm or plastic surgeon. Sometimes, your best bet is word of mouth: ask friends, co-workers, etc. if they know of one. And sometimes, you just have to take your chances! Is it possible for you to schedule a consult with someone? A lot of times, and initial consult will be free of charge.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:55 am      Reply with quote
I had Restylane injected into marionette lines (lines from nostrils to the lips) and it was fabulous -- after two treatments, it stimulated my own collagen and I haven't had any further injections for five years.

I'm also not a smoker but I have those little lines above my lips and I also have two lines below my bottom lips. I had Restylane injected there too, but it was disappointing for me and didn't do much.

I also tried Botox, which not only didn't fix it, but made it impossible to drink out of a straw or directly from a soda can or water bottle for months because I was unable to purse my lips. Awkward!

I'm now trying copper peptides. Along with the cps, I'm using an eyebrow brush for targeted intense exfoliation on those pesky lip lines. It is too soon to say whether it is working, but I'm hoping to post back here in a few months with positive results.

(Please keep your fingers crossed for me, y'all)

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
I had Restylane in my nose to mouth lines and it did not last but a few weeks (what a waste of money). Next time I had Juvederm and I am going on 1yr. and it still looks very good! I tried CP's very slowly a long time ago, and I started noticing enlarged pores and strange lines appearing so I gave it up!
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
Starlight, do you ever chew the inside of your cheeks? I used to do this when I was on my own and reading a newspaper. I did it on my own because I knew it looked inelegant but I didn't realize, until I caught a reflection of myself in the mirror, just what the action does to the top my lip! Forcing my lips to one side to chew on my inner cheek, creates a worse action than smoking does! I now give myself a strong telling off if I catch myself trying to do it.. I suppose it's a form of stress.

Another thing, do you pout your lips? Even just a little bit to make them look bigger? This can also cause lines. It could also just be past sun exposure, stress, plain old ageing, etc.
Some topicals do help with fine lines and of course sun protection will prevent new ones if they're due to the sun.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
Camelia OMG I do both of those things! I do chew on the inside of my lips and sides without knowing. I also pooch my lips out whenever I am concentrating on something. I have done this since I was a child and my mother always corrected me. I try to correct myself whenever I realise that I am pouting. This may be the culprit for the lines! WOW! I still do not know what to do about the lines because I can not seem to stop them from forming!
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:47 am      Reply with quote
I was just starting to see minute lines forming above my lips and with the aid of Lips to Kiss and retin-a, I do believe that I have nipped those suckers in the bud. I think the Lips to Kiss helped stop the lines at the border of my upper lip and the retin-a got rid of the ones that had actually crossed over the border on my skin. Granted, my lines were not noticeable unless looking from a very short distance, but I figured I had better do something about it before they were worse.

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
Ah hah! Puff-puff on large pipe. Just call me Sherlock.

Seriously though Starlight, just take a look in the mirror next time you chew on the inside of your lips or cheeks. I was horrified at how wrinkled my top lip looked when I was doing it!

And if you want another shock, have a look at what happens when you're resting the side of your head on a pillow in bed. This is where those vertical creases you see on people's faces come from! I always make sure that the pillow isn't squashing the side of my face and try to sleep on my back. It haven't been fully successful yet but I'm working on it.

Why do you pout your lips? I do it because I feel that my lips aren't big enough and it makes the gap between my nose and upper lip look a little smaller. It's a bad habit, you must try and stop, I know how hard it is though! I wish I could just go for some permanent lip cutting to make them look bigger as I can't do the downtime from resty and the Meg Ryan look is a deterrent to this option for me.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
camelia: I do not intentionally pout. My lips just pooch out when I am doing any task that requires concentration (bad habit)! I know that laying on my side with my face snuggled to that comfy pillow is so bad but it feels soooo good. I have tried sleeping on my back but all I do is jump every few minutes. The lines above my lips are strange because some of them are not vertical but cross ways! I have olive skin and I do not have any sun related damage. No one in my family has these horrible lines including older people.
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:50 am      Reply with quote
I'm sure there must be an answer out there for you.

If you want to see wrinkles that are in uncoventional places, have a look at the chef, Gordon Ramsay's face. He's only 42 and yet he has so many lines all the stress he has, he always seems like he's fit to burst. He's said that people have asked him outright what has happened to his face. A waitress in LA asked him if he'd been in an accident Shock How rude. But then perhaps he'd wound her up. I've always wondered what has caused them though, is it holding and squeezing the chin a lot, stress, malnutrition, alcohol?

He's had some botox recently and it does look better. Excuse the tabloid newspaper link

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2009/07/05/gord-s-botox-115875-21495529/

Botox around the mouth worries me. I've seen some very strange lips that can barely move and it can affect a person's speech.
Resty or Juv in the lines along with a peel might help.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:38 am      Reply with quote
Holy cow!! He's only 42?? It is amazing what havoc stress can do on your face and body. I can attest to that after my rough last few years. But luckily I was able to intervene before it was too late when I joined this forum last year and things are looking better than they ever did (well, minus the sagging cheeks, but I am determined to take care of that as well!! Laughing)

Starlight....I have also tried sleeping on my back and there is no way possible. I have mild sleep apnea and back sleeping really affects my breathing....so for those of us that are stuck side sleeping, I really recommend the "Save my Face" pillow. I bought it about 4 months ago and love that thing. It really does relieve any pressure on your face and I don't wake with sleeping lines any more. It took a bit of getting used to, maybe a week, but now I can't sleep without it. I have the smaller "Pillowette" that you place over top your existing pillow, but may try the large one that replaces your pillow completely...

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
bren21: The pillow sounds good! I have asthma and I sleep with my head elevated, so the small pillow sounds like the right fit! Did you purchase yours online or at a department store? Thanks
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:52 pm      Reply with quote
I was able to remove my lip lines with Valmont Lip Repair. It took about 12 months of use and the lines have not returned.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:15 am      Reply with quote
Starlight.....I bought my pillow at Home Trends, I've included the link below:

http://www.shophometrends.com/product.asp?pn=808641

This is the home page for the pillow where you can also purchase:

http://savemyface.com/cart/

Every once in a while they show up on Ebay, but I haven't seen any as of late. But you should really give it a try. I think the pillowette would work great for you too as you need the extra elevation for your asthma. It's quite thin but thick enough to keep your face elevated to relieve pressure so it shouldn't be all that noticeable in terms of extra height for you. It really does work well and I love it. Kind of expensive for a tiny pillow, but when you think about the long term effects of face sleeping and the lines it causes, worth every darn penny! Very Happy

harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:06 am      Reply with quote
bushy. Did the Valmont Lip Repair work on the lines above the lips as well as the lines on the lips? and is that the one in the pump dispenser? thanks. Harriet
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:00 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |