Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
new to retin a, weirdness
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mex0050
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:56 pm      Reply with quote
I bought some retin a from ADC a while ago and didn't start using it right away, it hasn't been very long since I got it and it has been stored properly...I've been on it about a week now. Every night before bed on clean dry skin I use the pea size amount. I am experiencing no flaking at all...and yet everywhere I read experiences people complain about the flaking and redness and irritation. My skin seems to be stuck in a time warp...the pimples I had are sticking around it seems a bit longer than they would, but no new ones are appearing (unusual) but the non irritation and flaking is worrying me since I was under the impression this started pretty much immediately. My skin isn't even dry feeling...wth? I read that the flaking is when it starts working...so mine is not working? Has anyone experiences this or might have an idea of why this is happening? Hmmm, I thought I had sensitive skin too. I feel like a dork complaining that I'm not having horrid side effects...but I kinda thought that was a good thing and showed it was working. Have I not given this long enough? Oh...if it matters, it's the .05 cream.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:39 am      Reply with quote
It can sometimes take a couple of weeks for the irritation to really kick in.
What is your skin type? Its possible if your skin is resistant that you will not have much irritation.

Also, the cream is usually not the best choice for acne prone. So just keep them in mind if you get more breakouts then usual.
MarieIG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:08 am      Reply with quote
Hi, Are you able to list what percent Retin A you are using, and whether it is a gel or a cream? What other products do you use on your face? What exactly is your skin type, and what is the purpose of you using Retin A? Was it prescribed to you by your doc.? (But, in the meantime, you should not worry about not having adverse side effects.)

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:18 am      Reply with quote
MarieIG - Mex0050 said that she is using the 0.05% cream, which I also use.

Everyone is different and react differently to everything. I have never had any irritation at all using Retin-A. So I wouldn't worry - you're probably one of the lucky ones. Keep going and see how your acne responds. If there is no difference in a month, you may have to reassess the situation.

5% products discount

Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:19 am      Reply with quote
I started using Retin A gel .025, 4 weeks ago, using the recommended "pea-size" amount. For the first three weeks I had no peeling or flaking, but my skin became incredibly oily! It's normally, combination but with no real shiny spots. But it was shiny all over with the Retin A, and somewhat red/pink, but no flaking. I had started the Retin A by using it every 2 days, but with no flaking I went up to every day in the first week - and still nothing - until the end of week 3.

At the end of week 3, it seems like my skin suddenly just 'cracked': tons of flaking, stinging, redness and extreme tightness everywhere - and still shiny on top of it all. It was so painful that I went 2 nights without using it. And 2 days without leaving the house! I started back and now (at the end of week 4) I have no oiliness whatsoever (thankfully), and mild flaking on my cheekbones, jaw and chin. I can definitely deal with this; especially since my skin feels so smooth now.

I can only speculate that my skin was very tough/resistant, and it took 3 weeks to really start working. But when it did, it started with a (painful) bang. I'm really glad that I stuck with it so far.
mex0050
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
hmmm kmy1, I kinda suspect we have the same skin type. Do you have to exfoliate with a belt sander too? I think my skin might be very thick for my ethnicity. I can build a really nice tan but it takes quite a while, and recently I don't dare go in the sun without something on my face...the melasma is ridiculous! I don't have bad acne as long as I don't do anything stupid like fall asleep with a bunch of makeup on and not wash it off asap in the am. One exception...I have the hormonal breakout once a month on my jawline, hopefully the cream works out bc I bought a lot of it. I wouldn't really consider myself too acne prone though, but who knows what will happen. My skin has been getting filmy...I just thought it was the retin a itself sitting on my skin like a layer of saran wrap emphasizing the oil my face makes, but it kinda seems like there is more oil too. I'll update around 3 weeks and let you guys know what happens. Thanks for the experienced info! Very Happy
kmy1
5% products discount

Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:11 am      Reply with quote
mex0050 - sounds like we definitely have the same skin type. You could be describing my skin exactly. I am using the Retin A primarily for melasma and hyperpigmentation from old acne. I also have some very fine lines and general uneven skin tone - which I'm hoping will improve with Retin A.

After reading alot of the posts on this board, and reviews elsewhere, I also ordered (and expect in the mail this week) the Obagi Nu-Derm Clear. I'm hoping that the addition will help further with melasma/hyperpigmentation.

One further note - my 3 week breakthrough on Retin A may have happened as a result of passage of time, but it does also coincide with my being a bit more generous with the application. One night (only) I almost doubled the 'pea-size' amount - trying to force a reaction from my resistant skin. Two days later, the cracking began. Whatever the cause, I am definitely happy with it.
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:46 am      Reply with quote
I am also on retin-a .05% cream and have been on it since March of this year. It took me a good 2 weeks or so before the peeling and redness kicked in and it lasted about a month. The only place I had the redness and peeling was around my mouth area. The corners of my mouth were the worst. It hurt like hell and looked like fever blisters. After a month of dealing with that, it finally subsided and I am able to apply retin-a all over nightly with absolutely no issues. Have to say I love, love, love the stuff!

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:45 am      Reply with quote
The lack of dryness and peelies may also have a little to do with the weather where you are. If it is very humid, that will help you not dry out too much...(but trust me, it WILL come!) If it was winter time and you were doing this regiment, I guarantee you, you would be peeling like crazy.
PS...don't double the amount you are using. Stick with the pea size!

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:49 am      Reply with quote
Question about the pea size amount....are there any side effects from using more? I have a very difficult time using the recommended pea size and I know I use more...I just cannot get a pea size to spread all over my face no matter how lightly I smear it so end up slapping on a bit more.

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
WCSmurfette
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:30 am      Reply with quote
bren21 wrote:
Question about the pea size amount....are there any side effects from using more? I have a very difficult time using the recommended pea size and I know I use more...I just cannot get a pea size to spread all over my face no matter how lightly I smear it so end up slapping on a bit more.

The "pea-sized" recommendation is a general guideline. I use a tad bit more than pea-sized and don't have issue doing that.

Some faces are larger than others and will require more product. As long as the layer is even and thin, there should be no problem.

Yes, using too much could cause those negative side effects; every skin type is different and there are varying degrees of sensitivity using retinoids. Prescription retinoid manufacturers recommend very small amounts to prevent side effects, and you really don't need much product for it to be efficacious.
kmy1
5% products discount

Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:40 am      Reply with quote
With the Retin A gel (not Micro) it is very hard to spread before it dries on my skin. So I squeeze a bit on my finger and apply on my forehead and temples; then a second bit for my cheeks. I'm sure it's slightly over a pea-size in total, but not by much.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
As I understand it peeling is not a necessary sign of something happening. In fact recently I read that you don't need or should want that to happen for the best effect. for this reason I kicked back to .05 and did not order .1 from ADC again. It made me peel like crazy and the .05 did not.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:26 am      Reply with quote
My experience is that ADC only has the 0.1% gel, not the cream. The gel formula is sooooo much stronger than the cream. I was using the 0.1% cream and my skin handled it very well - but the gel really made my skin peel and feel very dry.

Then my doctor told me that because I live in a hot climate, I shouldn't use anything stronger than 0.05% - so now I'm just using that in a cream.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:19 am      Reply with quote
Just to echo here what others have said, don't worry if your not getting the flaking, Retin A will be doing its stuff.

Interestingly enough flaking dosen't happen at the same time for everyone, and I have some friends who used it for over a year without any flaking whatsoever (and the same strength during that time) and then bang - overnight flaking. I got flaking within a relatively short period of time, but I know others who have got it much later on.

Sean

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
Funny to see people talking about accidentally doubling amount and being careful not to use more. Against my better judgment, I decided to use double the amount one night just to see if I felt anything at all, and although I didn't see anything right away, a couple days later I could tell I got some (maybe a glob Confused ) on my earlobe crease where it meets my face which became kinda like a scabby paper cut (sry gross) which peeled very fast and is fine. It didn't hurt, but I was happy to see that, it kinda made me feel ..er.. normal or something. My face is looking very clear and feeling very smooth...but also pale...no redness, no irritation, even though I apply to edge of lips and around nostrils. So, I say this cautiously, but I really don't think I am going to peel at all. My skin does feel a bit thinner though, so maybe at some point I can exfoliate like a normal person. Rolling Eyes

Oh, and I have to say it is awesome how fast any tiny escapee zits heal up, like overnight, which helps me stay away from picking them, plus they're weaker versions of what I used to get, not as big and painful or inflamed, so I don't feel the need to make them go bye bye. I can't wait to see how my skin looks when the old acne pigmentation marks fade and with a way to not make new ones. YAY Retin A! I just wish I could make them fade faster, I'm thinking about looking into a TCA after a while, I think one decently strong one of those might clear up 99% of my skin problems if I can just find 2 weeks to spare (maybe xmas vaca) I have some very fine lines, lighter but still there melasma, and now just a rotten skin texture from all my foolish picking.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:10 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |