Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Aging faster in Arizona type climates
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
I have noticed people who are in Az and NV etc... seem to look a lot older than people from cooler climates...am I wrong?I think being in the sun obviously ages you but I think the heat makes you age prematurely...lots of lizard skinned women in the West!
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
You are so funny!Lizard skin women!
Women in very dry air climate whether hot or cold tend to show signs of aging much earlier. The skin stays very dry and dehydrated looking due to lack of moisture in the air. Women in humid environment have plumper less wrinkled skin!
milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
I live in the lower Sonoran Desert of AZ. It is true that it is dry with brutal heat much of the year. Even when the weather is cooler into the 80s it is still extremely dry.

It is important to stay hydrated and out of the sun, if you can help it. Sunscreen and sunglasses are very important as well.

Lots and lots of water and very high quality products including 100% Shea butter, Vit C serum, really anything to seal in the moisture.

Not kidding, you can feel the moisture suck right out of your skin when you get out of your car.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
I hide from the sun ,no kidding! I wont go out when its full sun I only garden at 500 am or in the early evening.My sister is worse than I am...she said she had a Vitamin D deficiency because of no sun exposure so now she takes supplements. She doesnt have a lot of wrinkling either for being in her 50's.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
I used to live in Seattle and people who would visit told me they loved it because their skin always looked better. Moist air! Not great if your hair gets frizzies (mine does - but did adapt over time or I did). Hydration - Great for the skin.

Still would love to live in Arizona.

LucyLuc - Can't imagine never going out in the sun. It's such a lovely experience. I'm not a sunbather - never have been but just even being on my porch when the sun is out is so rejuvinating. That's why so many people without sun get SAD. Lots i Seattle btw.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
I always make sure my face is in shade.I get melasma from the sun and its hard to get rid of!
milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
We lived in the Seattle area for 5 yrs before moving to AZ. Everyone looks younger than their age. My skin loved all the moisture.

It takes getting used to living in AZ. You take an ice chest to do your grocery shopping so things don't melt or spoil on the way home. Mostly, I go out after dark this time of year. Up to 104 I am OK but over that and I hibernate at home Cool
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that drier climate can be a cause for skin to age faster.
I went to Seattle and I loved the humidity and warm temperature. Where I live is also very humid year around, but it is almost 9 months of cold winter too.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:43 am      Reply with quote
I have always heard that English woman have lovely skin because they live in a moist climate without a lot of sun. I would think that Arizona would be the opposite. There you have both hot sun and dry heat.

It may pay to put a humidifier in the house!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
I live in So. Cal. and even though it's supposed to be ideal weather I really am sick of 9-10 months of summer and the rants I go on about the heat are not pretty! When it's 69 on the coast it's most often in the 80s-90s here (10 miles inland). I really love fashion and forget it when it's boiling hot.

I LOVE being outside and walking/hiking at a beautiful serene quiet lake 5 minutes from my house, but half of the year I can only go in the very early morning or before sunset, which makes is less fun because it's hard to work out after working all day.

I'm enormously conscious now of getting sun damage so I worry when my arms get tan etc. I don't want that lizard look! I lived in the desert for a year and I had names for the different sorts of people there, lizards, salamanders etc. So many have dried up/roadmaps faces and they brag about how they love to soak up the sun.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
Seriously,if one lives in the cave and avoids sunshine for the life time, his/her skin perhaps will not age a lot.
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
carmina wrote:
Seriously,if one lives in the cave and avoids sunshine for the life time, his/her skin perhaps will not age a lot.

The bad part is that lack of Vitamin D from the sun is causing lots of serious illnesses. For example breast cancer and other types of cancers and autoimmune diseases are associated with lack of sunlight. A brisk 20 minute walk in the sun is very beneficial for our health unlike sun bathing,tanning beds and staying outdoors for long periods of time. If a person did not have wrinkles but got cancer, the treatment for cancer would lead to horrible aging!
milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
It is too hot go walking any distance here this time of year. You cannot even walk the dogs because the pavement will burn their paws. People go hiking or climbing the trails up the mountains and run out of water and have to be rescued.
A family from out-of-state was hiking earlier this month and ran out of water and into trouble and their son died on the trail.

Kids also drown in pools here every week it seems like.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
Vitamin D insufficiency is becoming more and more common now that folks are getting fanatical about protecting themselves from the UVA/B rays..

To get all the vitamin D requirement your body needs, you need only to expose your (unprotected) wrists and/or ankles for 15 or 20 minutes, 3 times per week.

It's especially important for woman to have plenty of vitamin D because without it, calcium cannot be absorbed.

On the 'humidity' front, even though I live in hot, humid Florida, most of my time is spent indoors in the A/C... I've found that a glass/bowl of water, in an inconspicuous place in the bedrooms, puts back all the moisture I need to breathe easy and keep my skin moist.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
I suspect that the amount of sun needed for good health varies according to latitude, with those lucky enough to live in southern latitudes needing less than we up north. It's no coincidence that the highest rates of multiple sclerosis, for example, are in places like Canada, Scotland, Norway, Finland, etc. And that the US city that leads the pack by a long way is Seattle.

I make sure that I get a reasonable amount of sun exposure on my bare skin, but keep my face and the backs of my hands sunscreened. That's the compromise I make between getting some sun and avoiding the skin damage it can cause.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
I think most people would get enough sunlight just driving around during the day in a car. Drink milk and take D supplements too if you are worried,I am worried more about the sun than anything else. I know Tucson is the skin cancer capital of the US!I know the sun prematurely ages you ,people in AZ especially ladies over 40 are just more wrinkled!Notice how baby smooth your tummy and boobs are, no wrinkles, no age spots...because they never see the sun!(except of course you wear a bikini and are a topless bather.)
Zoftig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
I've lived in "Aridzona" for the past 5 years and I have aged to look my age in that time. Seriously, I have always looked young for my age until now. I avoid the sun and the heat as best I can but it makes no difference - dry is dry!
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
Geez I would like to move to Seattle, that weather will keep your skin looking young!I live in S Calif. but its not as hot and dry as AZ. I been to Tucson several times, own a house there and I HATE it there Mad Its so stinkin impossible to live there good god I am always so happy to fly back into san diego!!! No offence but Tucson is like living in one big HOT johnny cat litter box Embarassed
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing Laughing Lucy, you crack me up..

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
I am further North in the Scottdale area but I travel to Tucson several times a year.

It is too hot to poke out your wrists and ankles for 15-20 minutes. Sunscreen or not your skin would get too hot. Even if the rest of your body is in the shade it would be difficult to endure that amount of time outside in 105+ F weather with the sun blazing down.

On Saturday I had to move some not heavy boxes out in the garage and by the time I finished and swept up I was just covered moisture. My clothes were soaked and it was just running down my face and onto my glasses!! This is from being in the garage with the door up. I only dashed outside in the driveway to toss stuff in the trash can.

By the time I was done my arms, face, neck were red

There are the diehards that will brave any weather. Some surf in hurricane force winds, some ski with avalanche danger, some hike in the desert. It is all the same... if you are not careful it will kill you.
carmina
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
Starlight wrote:
carmina wrote:
The bad part is that lack of Vitamin D from the sun is causing lots of serious illnesses. For example breast cancer and other types of cancers and autoimmune diseases are associated with lack of sunlight. A brisk 20 minute walk in the sun is very beneficial for our health unlike sun bathing,tanning beds and staying outdoors for long periods of time. If a person did not have wrinkles but got cancer, the treatment for cancer would lead to horrible aging!

That's very nice to learn that. I actually learned this fact in high school but I have forgoten it. Wink

I hear that people in German are rushing to Spain in the summer, crazy for the sunshine...
Zoftig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
I know what you mean about Scottsdale, Milbader. I live in the mountains and come down to Trader Joe's and Sephora about once a month. Last time I parked at Fashion Square to run into Sephora, I could barely stumble in. By the time I got to the door I was beet red, my head and bangs were wet and my eyes burned from the salt in them. I looked like a drowned rat and this from just crossing a parking lot! I had gone in for some Juice Beauty Serum but I looked like I needed CPR. I think it was 107. WHEW
milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
Zoftig: I go to the same Sephora in Fashion Square. It is too hot to order products to arrive by mail. They would be out in direct sun in the metal mailbox and would be a melted mess. I am waiting for the weather to cool down enough, around Halloween, to reorder DIY ingredients.
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:56 pm      Reply with quote
I know it gets very hot in some parts! I live in the deep south so I know about heat. Unlike Arizona we have lots of humidity which feels like a pressure cooker. I do not get that much sun either! I try to go for a walk or work outside in the garden in early morning sunlight and 15-20 minutes is all I can take. The sunlight and fresh air does feel very good and healthy. After 10:00 I try to avoid the sun like a vampire. Afternoons are completely out of the question! I think sunlight coming through a glass window while you are driving does not count. Can you believe that? It has to be direct sunlight without a barrier to get the vitamin D! I try to get some sun exposure and I take cod liver oil daily! It is the best I can do!
blesstd
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Vitamin D insufficiency is becoming more and more common now that folks are getting fanatical about protecting themselves from the UVA/B rays..

To get all the vitamin D requirement your body needs, you need only to expose your (unprotected) wrists and/or ankles for 15 or 20 minutes, 3 times per week.

It's especially important for woman to have plenty of vitamin D because without it, calcium cannot be absorbed.

On the 'humidity' front, even though I live in hot, humid Florida, most of my time is spent indoors in the A/C... I've found that a glass/bowl of water, in an inconspicuous place in the bedrooms, puts back all the moisture I need to breathe easy and keep my skin moist.

Thanks for the tip about a bowl of water to add moisture to the air! Never thought it could be so simple & will definitely give it a try when we run the heater during the winter. We've tried a room humidifier but even with a light mist, running it for several hours still results in everything getting damp.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:19 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |