Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Moisturizer
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
LAT
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:45 am      Reply with quote
Hi All,

I am interested in making my own moisturizer and looking for some help.

I would like the consistency to be a gel or serum and one that absorbs well and leaves me with a matte finish after applied. I don't like moisturizers that leave me with a shiny face, so that is my biggest concern.
Does anyone who has experimented with different actives have any ideas for me?

Thanks Smile
Lin
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:11 am      Reply with quote
Lin,

Thanks to a recipe I found posted on EDS sometime ago (and I'm sorry I can't remember who it was, but I'm very thankful to that person), I make my own moisturizer which is very mattifying. In fact, I consider it almost a primer. I start with the vegetarian cream base from Gardenofwisdom (Ingredients: deionized water, coconut milk, broccoli seed oil, watermelon seed oil, polawax, emollient esters, galactoarabinan (polysaccharide), glycerin, allantoin, optiphen).

2 tablespoons base
2 tsp. oat beta glucan
1 tsp. pearl powder
1/8 tsp. phytolift
seamollient
Jim's liquid seaweed

I bought all the ingredients from GOW, I think. The original recipe called for sea kelp bioferment, but I didn't really care for it as an ingredient in this cream (although I love using it as a mask), so I bought the seamollient and seaweed. I start with small amounts of those and add until I'm satisfied with the consistency of the cream. The end product isn't a gel or a serum but it almost feels like one when you put it on, and it does absorb very quickly. I have combo skin and this mattifies my skin better than any primers I have tried.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:13 am      Reply with quote
Check out the sticky at the top of these posts. Lots of recipes there.
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:47 am      Reply with quote
Hi, girls! I have a similar recipe, but mine is more of a gel/cream. The gel base is from GOW, as are the liquid oat beta glucans. Sometimes those are backordered and a great substitute is the mushroom extract (beta glucans from Reishi and Shiitake mushrooms w/kelp in liquid form) from Lotioncrafter. All peptides, silk amino acids and Metabiotics Resveratrol are from Lotioncrafter.com. I buy my hydrolyzed pearl powder from TKB Trading.

Oat Beta Glucans Pearl Powder Peptide Cream

1 level T. GOW Gel Base for Actives
1 tsp. base cream, any kind (GOW or Skinactives)
1 1/2 - 2 tsp liquid oat beta glucans
1/2 tsp hydrolyzed pearl powder
1/2 tsp silk amino acids
8 drops Snap-8
1/4 tsp. Resveratrol
1/4 tsp. Matrixyl
10 drops Renovage
9 drops Decorinyl
8 drops Syn-Coll

Dissolve the pearl powder in the beta glucans and silk amino acids by mixing it and waiting for 5 minutes, then whip in the gel base and/or base cream, then mix in remaining ingredients.

I use my little Fit & Fresh Portable Drink Mixer to mix up my "potions."

This is a fabulous tightening matte primer - your skin will look like porcelain, yet will still feel moist and flexible. It works equally well as a night cream. When used as a night cream, I top it off with a "chaser" of emu oil, hempseed oil or avocado oil, depending on how dry my skin is.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:18 am      Reply with quote
That sounds like a good recipe, jjbeacham. I'll have to give it a try next time I'm ready to make another batch of pearl cream. It's all I use under my foundation so it has to act as my primer and my moisturizer.
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi, Skippie - it really is a fabulous little concoction. I wanted the firming and nutritive aspects of the pearl powder, but with that stuff, a little goes a long way. I also wanted cumulative results from the gel-cream, thus the beta glucans and peptides. I hate putting a firmer on my face only to find that my skin feels almost inflexible - that horrible mask-like feeling. This tightens and firms so well, but your skin will feel amazing, and it works beautifully either with or without a moisturizer on top.

It's also a recipe in which you can substitute other actives that you prefer; in other words, as long as you have the base, the beta glucans and the pearl powder, any actives in liquid (such as Skinactives' Dermagen) will be great in it. Also, if you prefer less of a matte look, substitute the gel base for Markey's veggie base with the watermelon in it or SAS's Canvas cream. I hope you enjoy it if you whip some up!!! Very Happy ~ JJ
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
JJ,

Do you think it would be ok if I substituted the GOW gel base with Isomers matrixyl 20% collagen boosting concentrate? It's a serum with 10% of each of the two matrixyls. These are the ingredients:

Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Extract, Glycerin, Water, Butylene Glycol, Carbomer, Polysorbate 20, Palmitoylpentapeptide-4, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7, Phenoxyethanol, Tropolone

I already have it on hand and it would save me from having to buy the gel base and matrixyl.

Thanks.
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie, that looks like an excellent substitute. It is also probably a bit silkier than the GOW Gel Base. I added silk amino acids for some slip because the Gel Base is not silky enough, but you won't really need them unless you just like the idea of them. What I love about DIY potions is that you can generally use what you have and make it work beautifully. This is a very flexible little recipe. JJ Smile
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:07 am      Reply with quote
JJ,

Thanks for your help. Another question - where do you buy the hydrolyzed pearl powder? I noticed on the other thread that you take pearl powder internally. Are you using the same powder for your cream?
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:54 am      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
JJ,

Thanks for your help. Another question - where do you buy the hydrolyzed pearl powder? I noticed on the other thread that you take pearl powder internally. Are you using the same powder for your cream?

You're so welcome - this is where I buy mine:

http://www.tkbtrading.com/item.php?item_id=314

$7.00 for an ounce; however they have a $19.50 minimum order requirement. This is the hydrolyzed pearl powder that is water-soluble. It is the kind that is taken internally, so you could order this to use as a cosmetic ingredient and/or as a supplement. An ounce goes a very long way when used as a skincare ingredient.

I will do this next time. This time, I ordered other things to meet the $19.50 requirement, and I ordered my pearl powder capsules elsewhere. This is a good link about the therapeutic and beauty benefits of pearl powder, oral dosage, etc.:

http://chinesepearlpowder.com/default.aspx

JJ Smile
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:22 am      Reply with quote
JJ,

I made some of this and it makes my face a little shiny. I think it's the Isomers matrixyl that's causing the shine. Do you think if I added more pearl powder, it would keep the shine down?

Thanks for your help.
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:39 am      Reply with quote
Hi, Skippie! Yes, more pearl powder will give you a matte texture. It's a strong mattifier, so I would add about 1/4 teaspoon at a time mixed in about a teaspoon of your already-made cream. I would think 1/4 tsp. would be all you need to get the results you want, but if you do this and it's still shiny, do the same thing once again. That would give you a total of one entire teaspoon of pearl powder in this cream, and I can't imagine that you would need more than that.

BTW, have you ever made a pearl toner using just the pearl powder and distilled water? It's amazing and the water itself has a silky feel. I have a little one-ounce bottle that I use for this. I put 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. of pearl powder into 2 Tablespoons distilled water and shake well. I keep this in the refrigerator, but you could add a drop or two of Germaben or Optiphen and leave it out on the counter.

JJ Smile
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:39 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, JJ. I'll try adding some more. My face is combo anyway, so I don't like the added shine. My face doesn't glow - it glistens. I like the sound of your pearl toner. I wonder how it would work in green/white tea.
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie, I think it would be excellent in any of the teas. I made a spritzer for my mineral makeup recently with green tea and pearl powder in a cucumber toner base. It's lovely and refreshing and best of all, it's actually doing something good for my skin. Let me know if you make a good one, okay? JJ Smile
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:36 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, JJ. I added more pearl powder and that seems to have done the trick. My face is not nearly as shiny.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |