Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Recs for wedding beauty diet book/plan
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
HeavenLeigh
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all,

I'm getting married in January and I want to start eating suberbly good and nutritious stuff for radiant skin, thick hair, bright eyes, strong nails etc (and to shed maybe 5 pounds)...are there any books anyone can recommend that I can use as guidelines? (on a budget that is)

- What should I eat - meal ideas etc

- Most the books (and dr. google) out there talk about wedding Weight loss. Weight loss is the last thing on my agenda - getting radiant skin and thick healthy hair is the TOP of my agenda. What do people think of the Gillian McKeith wedding countdown diet? I have heard it requires buying a heap of expensive supplements etc...that just won't cut it for me.

- What kind of foods should I stay away from, apart from the usual chips, cake, ice-cream etc...which I don't have a lot of anyway.

Really need help...I'm stressed and busy at the moment trying to write my scary thesis, and eating well and exercising is the last thiing on my mind at times. But I NEED to do it if I wanna look fabulous on my big day. At the moment, I look pale and tired (despite sufficient sleep), limp hair and breakouts..dark circles, lacklustre skintone (my skin care is good, but there is no inner glow and I used to have this glow). I just look drained overall... You name it. Any tips?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:22 am      Reply with quote
Eat lots of fish ( tuna, cod, salmon) and add beans and lenthil to absolutely everything! This is my number one diet food now. I know some people even make cakes using beans instead of nuts. Embarassed

Also, drink lots of water and visit sauna/steam room regularly and do lots of massages!! Very Happy
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:54 am      Reply with quote
The Eat to Live book is AWESOME! I highly recommend. And I think you will achieve most of your goals between now and then...

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
How about adding a green smoothie in first thing in the morning, and eating cantaloupe (cantaloupe is great for a glow!).
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry, did not make it back in time to edit, but here is something that may help you, too.

http://realage.typepad.com/food_bites/2008/04/foods-that-make.html
secretly
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
It's simple, real whole food. Go to your pantry with a trash can and throw away anything that has a label with chemical and processed ingredients.

Once you switch to a real whole food diet you weight will drop, your energy will rise, you'll sleep better etc.

So much of the nutrients are taken out of processed food and the other ingredients DO NOT cause your brain to think, "oh I have what I need, now signal to stop eating." Instead your brain is going, "what the ?, I need more food I don't have all the stuff I need yet." That's why people binge on crap but they don't binge on a real whole food diet, when you're done with a meal you're 100% satisfied.

Here's what I eat in a typical day:

Green Tea
Oatmeal with blueberries & milk or coconut milk, a little honey
Cut up grapefruit for snack
Salad with a little grilled chicken, fish, cheese for lunch and or dinner

Other things I eat are really simple like homemade quiche, soups, beans, guacamole, mexican food.

Here's a great dinner that you can stretch over days.

Roast a whole chicken
Serve with:
Black beans (buy in a can if you don't have time to make and add salt and pepper to them)
Salsa (recipe below)
Guacamole (recipe below)
Organic Blue Corn Chips

Tomato Salsa
4 small tomatoes
½ onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeños pepper finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
2 TBS. chopped cilantro
½ teaspoon coarse ground pepper

Dice tomatoes and mix with all ingredients.

Salsa Mango
4 small tomatoes
½ onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeños pepper finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
2 TBS. chopped cilantro
½ teaspoon coarse ground pepper
1 chopped mango

Dice tomatoes and mix with all ingredients.

Guacamole
Chop up onion, jalapeno pepper, cilantro in a small food processor, add 1 whole avocado, juice from 1/2 lime, and salt and pepper.

Here's a quickie:

Five Minute Salad

Bag of mixed salad greens
1 Avocado
Cherry tomatoes
1 cucumber
4-5 green onions
1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
¼ cup dried cranberries

Dressing
3/8 cup olive oil
¼ cup vinegar (white wine, red raspberry, apple cider, balsamic, etc.)
2 TBS honey
1 TBS Dijon mustard
3/8 teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper

Peel and slice the cucumber into a large bowl. Chop the green onions and avocado and add. Toss in the rest of the salad ingredients.

In a bowl or container with a lid whisk or shake up the dressing ingredients and pour desired amount over salad.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
HeavenLeigh wrote:

- What should I eat - meal ideas etc

If you start eating really healthy and mostly all kinds of vegetables, your energy levels will go up, and you will "glow" Smile

So make sure you eat at the very least 5 servings of vegetables and/or fruits per day (make sure you eat at least one orange, one red, and one green vegetable among those 5 servings).

Don't eat fried food, try to limit your carb intake, don't go overboard with proteins.

Eat at least twice per week a fish rich in Omega 3 (salmon is a good choice, 75 grs is a portion). Be careful with high-mercury fish (e.g. tuna).

HeavenLeigh wrote:
At the moment, I look pale and tired (despite sufficient sleep), limp hair and breakouts..dark circles, lacklustre skintone (my skin care is good, but there is no inner glow and I used to have this glow). I just look drained overall... You name it. Any tips?

If your skin care routine is good then that's one less thing to worry about Smile I don't know if you already do it or not, but gentle glycolic (or lactic acid) peels could help make your skin radiant in time for the wedding and make your skin nice and even.

As far as supplements go... any supplement containing Choline-stabilized orthosilicic acid (Ch-OSA) will be good for your skin and hair... there are a couple of randomized controlled trials attesting so. If I could buy only one supplement for my skin/hair, this would be it (I would make sure I get lots of antioxidants through my diet!).
Biosil is a source of Ch-OSA... I can't remember how much it's selling for.

All the best,
Josee

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
The Eat to Live book is AWESOME! I highly recommend. And I think you will achieve most of your goals between now and then...

I'm going to check this out myself, it looks like it might be a useful weight loss plan for chubby vegetarians like myself Embarassed

A couple of great books on beauty / nutrition I'd like to reccomend are The Ciminelli Solution by Susan Ciminelli and my favorite: The Truth About Beauty by Kat Taylor.

http://www.amazon.com/Ciminelli-Solution-7-Day-Plan-Radiant/dp/0060778377/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251328802&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Truth-About-Beauty-Transform-Inside/dp/1582701954/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251328734&sr=1-1
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:24 am      Reply with quote
Josee wrote:
As far as supplements go... any supplement containing Choline-stabilized orthosilicic acid (Ch-OSA) will be good for your skin and hair... there are a couple of randomized controlled trials attesting so.

Josee, do you have any links to these studies/trials? I read about the biosil, and see that they claims reduction in micro-wrinkles and improved elasticity, but I don't see where they provide any of the actual studies on this.
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:24 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:

Josee, do you have any links to these studies/trials? I read about the biosil, and see that they claims reduction in micro-wrinkles and improved elasticity, but I don't see where they provide any of the actual studies on this.

Hello rileygirl,
Here are the references... I hope it helps!
There are other studies that have seen increase in collagen markers, but were focused on bone collagen and others done in animals.

------------------------------------------
Effect of oral intake of choline-stabilized orthosilicic acid on skin, nails and hair in women with photodamaged skin.
Arch Dermatol Res. 2005 Oct;297(4):147-53.

Skin roughness parameters increased in the placebo group (Rt:+8%; Rm: +11%; Rz: +6%) but decreased in the ch-OSA group (Rt: -16%; Rm: -19%; Rz: -8%). The change in roughness from baseline was significantly different between ch-OSA and placebo groups for Rt and Rm. The difference in longitudinal and lateral shear propagation time increased after 20 weeks in the placebo group but decreased in the ch-OSA group suggesting improvement in isotropy of the skin. VAS scores for nail and hair brittleness were significantly lower after 20 weeks in the ch-OSA group compared to baseline scores. Oral intake of ch-OSA during the 20 weeks results in a significant positive effect on skin surface and skin mechanical properties, and on brittleness of hair and nails.

-----------------------------------------

Effect of oral intake of choline-stabilized orthosilicic acid on hair tensile strength and morphology in women with fine hair.
Arch Dermatol Res. 2007 Dec;299(10):499-505.

The elastic gradient decreased in both groups but the change was significantly smaller in the ch-OSA group (-4.52%) compared to placebo group (-11.9%). Break load changed significantly in the placebo group (-10.8%) but not in the ch-OSA supplemented group (-2.20%). Break stress and elastic modulus decreased in both groups but the change was smaller in the ch-OSA group. The cross sectional area increased significantly after 9 months compared to baseline in ch-OSA supplemented subjects but not in the placebo group. The change in urinary silicon excretion was significantly correlated with the change in cross sectional area. Oral intake of ch-OSA had a positive effect on tensile strength including elasticity and break load and resulted in thicker hair.

-------------------------------------------
Colloidal silicic acid for oral and topical treatment of aged skin, fragile hair and brittle nails in females.
J Int Med Res. 1993 Jul-Aug;21(4):209-15

In an open study, women with biologically aged skin and fragile or thin hair, or brittle nails were treated orally with 10 ml colloidal silicic acid (Silicol) once daily for 90 days and applied colloidal silicic acid to the face for 10 min twice daily. Of the 50 subjects treated, three withdrew from treatment after 30 days because of excessive drying of the facial skin due to topical application. In the remaining 47 subjects there was statistically significant improvement in the thickness and turgor of the skin, wrinkles and condition of the hair and nails. The number of mottles also declined, but the change was not statistically significant. Ultrasound measurements did not detect any statistically significant change in the thickness of the epidermis or elasticity of the skin, but there was a significant increase in the thickness of the dermis.

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:57 am      Reply with quote
Thank you, Josee.
HeavenLeigh
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
awww....thank you all so much for the suggestions!!!
I'm going to make a meal plan and go shopping for the week and buy all these wonderful things. I hope I get glowy from all of it - I have noticed that I do look much better from eating well, so why don't I do it more? Smile

I miss the fact that I used to have much prettier skin (i.e. brighter tone) and much thicker, stronger hair... Sad that is before I started these 6 draining years of university life Sad And then It's Just gone downhill from there. Well, getting older doesn't help - BUT I'm only 25, I shouldn't look this lacklustre and have this little energy! Anyway FINAL KILLER UNI SEMESTER NOW!!!

Another factor contributing to all of this could be the fact that I'm just a bit thinner now compared to before (bout 3-5kg thinner maybe?? not much and am definitely not anorexic in case anyone is wondering), but that probably also means I lack certain amounts of nutrients now, whereas in the past I would eat everything, had a great appetite. lol.

But thank God for 302 skincare, it's the only thing close to maintaining things at the moment though its certainly not enough to optimize what I want to achieve.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
Dr. Perricone's book is great. I skimmed through it recently at a used books store. I'm kicking myself for not buying it that day. He had meal plans in there that could get you through weeks. He suggested LOTS of fish and wrote about how the changes in peoples' faces after eating a lot of salmon and fatty fish made their faces look so much better. He even suggested what exercises to do. There was a lot of weight training and bone bearing exercises.
HeavenLeigh
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
Ahhh yesss! The perricone book Very Happy I totally forgot about that! I have it in my garage somewhere, I stopped following the diet because it was tooo restrictive without the carbs. I love my rice, noodles, pastas, bread etc...I would compensate by eating wholemeal versions of these but not cut it out completely. That would be superbly impossible to maintain, as I've found with lots of famous diets.
Anyway... Smile I will keep posting to let everyone know my progress with this healthy eating thing.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |