Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Ancestry.com
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
InkyProse
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:53 am      Reply with quote
I've been a little MIA around here because I've gotten addicted to ancestry.com. I took them up on their 2 week free sign up and haven't gotten off since. I've found some cousins and found out a lot about my family that I never knew. Something I never knew: a lot of my family came from Jamestown! Also, I've traced back to some English and French royalty. But the most gratifying part has been finding a cuz who I should've known growing up. We are strangely alike and email each other every day. I'm not emotionally able to get in contact with my mom who is in a nursing home in Wyoming (long story), but cuz is and she loves mom. No one had been in contact with mom till cuz and I found her. I now have peace of mind over that situation.

Anyway, ancestry.com is a lot of fun. And sometimes you find out some dark secrets too... mwah hahahaha

49*~~dark auburn, light, blue/green*~~ Red/Infrared/Amber LED*~~ Dermarolling*~~ Retin A*~~ Cupping*~~Homeopathic HGH*~~Ionic Footbaths*~~About to put my Incline Table Together**** See what all you people are driving me to???****Don't get me started on the supplements, you'll regret it**** Love Wins...
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:24 am      Reply with quote
Wow, this is great - but it's expensive isn't it. I might take out the 14 day free trial too and see what I can come up with.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:29 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Wow, this is great - but it's expensive isn't it. I might take out the 14 day free trial too and see what I can come up with.

Keliu,

You can buy a month for $19.95 or $29.95. I'm just going month to month right now.

49*~~dark auburn, light, blue/green*~~ Red/Infrared/Amber LED*~~ Dermarolling*~~ Retin A*~~ Cupping*~~Homeopathic HGH*~~Ionic Footbaths*~~About to put my Incline Table Together**** See what all you people are driving me to???****Don't get me started on the supplements, you'll regret it**** Love Wins...
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:42 am      Reply with quote
InkyProse wrote:
Keliu wrote:

Keliu,

You can buy a month for $19.95 or $29.95. I'm just going month to month right now.

Ok, that's a good way to do it - I thought you had to take out a whole 12 months subscription.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:24 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
InkyProse wrote:
Keliu wrote:

Keliu,

Ok, that's a good way to do it - I thought you had to take out a whole 12 months subscription.

Yeah, I did too. The way they try to communicate it is misleading. I called to make sure I could do 1 month, and made sure that my membership expired automatically in case I forgot to cancel it myself.

Don't forget to cancel your membership after the 2 free weeks. I did mine manually because I wasn't sure if it was automatic. Some companies lure you in that way for more money (as I'm sure you already know). Still, I've found that ancestry.com has exemplary service. I am very pleased with that company.

cookie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:35 am      Reply with quote
I have been wanting to do this for some time but was wondering if they really have a lot of access towards your family in other countries. I am Greek and Spanish and the Greek I cannot understand or read at all, but the Spanish I can.

I am going to check out the trial period, but I know once I get on that will take up all of my free time. I know there are a lot of skeletons in our families closet.
InkyProse
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:41 am      Reply with quote
cookie wrote:
I have been wanting to do this for some time but was wondering if they really have a lot of access towards your family in other countries. I am Greek and Spanish and the Greek I cannot understand or read at all, but the Spanish I can.

I am going to check out the trial period, but I know once I get on that will take up all of my free time. I know there are a lot of skeletons in our families closet.

The $19.95 subscription gives access to domestic sites, the $29.95 subscription gives access to international sites (these are mostly databases I believe). The 2 week freebie gives access to only domestic sites.

cookie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:47 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Inky Rose, I am going to get the subscription. I have wanted to do this for so long but I know that I will get totally obsessed with it.
InkyProse
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
cookie wrote:
Thanks Inky Rose, I am going to get the subscription. I have wanted to do this for so long but I know that I will get totally obsessed with it.

I hope you have a lot of fun and find a lot of family!

secretly
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
Sounds really fun, I have very little family left. One thing I did which helped a lot is I "interviewed" my grandma a few years before she died (at 97 1/2 years old). I wrote everything down and also read back drafts to her and asked questions. Just never know when you want to find out something it might be too late!

She told me some very interesting stories about immigrating to the US prior to WWI and being sold by her dad to be married at age 14 etc. I also learned a lot about my dad too, he died when I was 18 months old so that info was really interesting.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
secretly wrote:
Sounds really fun, I have very little family left. One thing I did which helped a lot is I "interviewed" my grandma a few years before she died (at 97 1/2 years old). I wrote everything down and also read back drafts to her and asked questions. Just never know when you want to find out something it might be too late!

She told me some very interesting stories about immigrating to the US prior to WWI and being sold by her dad to be married at age 14 etc. I also learned a lot about my dad too, he died when I was 18 months old so that info was really interesting.

Sold by her father? No way! You've gotta tell the details. What country?

Also, you never know. You might have more family out there than you realize! You might find a cuz who doesn't think s/he has much family left and s/he might be wanting to connect. I did!

secretly
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
All my relatives came from what was Russia Poland now Poland. He sold her here in the states to a "rich" banker when she was 14. He woke her up in the middle of the night and took her on the train to meet him, she had no idea what was going on. They made her go through a huge wedding etc. She refused to be his slave and made his life so miserable that he let her leave and go back to her parents (not parents of the year by far!).

I then remembered the big church wedding and party that took place when I was five years old. The old banker had died then so my grandma and grandpa could get married in the church (Catholic), they were in their fifties then.

Her dad (my great-grandpa) murdered a man in Poland and served time in prison but when he got out he wasn't able to get work and also there was a war brewing so he left the family and came to the states to work on the railroad in the wave of Eastern Europeans that immigrated through Ellis Island then. When he saved enough they came over, long story but missed the ship that they had booked passage on because a wheel broke on the horse drawn wagon.

My grandma told me that the murdered man said, "I curse you and your children and your children's children." Scary and creepy for some of the stuff that happened after.

My dad was her only child, an officer in the Navy, fighter pilot, served in WWII and flew 63 missions in Korea (I have a lot of them detailed on paper, dropping napalm and all kinds of disturbing stuff). He came back to the states and was assigned to teach pilots how to bomb targets, two months later he was flying a solo flight and his plane malfunctioned so he ejected but his chute didn't open so he was killed. He was only 26 so my mom was really destroyed and our family sort of imploded after that. I do have a relationship with my cousin so I do have family just not immediate family.

I'm going to do the ancestry.com when I get a chance because the stories are really interesting and who knows there may be some really interesting people that I would so love to hook up with. I really believe that every family has interesting stuff that's probably why that site does so well.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
secretly wrote:
All my relatives came from what was Russia Poland now Poland. He sold her here in the states to a "rich" banker when she was 14. He woke her up in the middle of the night and took her on the train to meet him, she had no idea what was going on. They made her go through a huge wedding etc. She refused to be his slave and made his life so miserable that he let her leave and go back to her parents (not parents of the year by far!).

I then remembered the big church wedding and party that took place when I was five years old. The old banker had died then so my grandma and grandpa could get married in the church (Catholic), they were in their fifties then.

Her dad (my great-grandpa) murdered a man in Poland and served time in prison but when he got out he wasn't able to get work and also there was a war brewing so he left the family and came to the states to work on the railroad in the wave of Eastern Europeans that immigrated through Ellis Island then. When he saved enough they came over, long story but missed the ship that they had booked passage on because a wheel broke on the horse drawn wagon.

My grandma told me that the murdered man said, "I curse you and your children and your children's children." Scary and creepy for some of the stuff that happened after.

My dad was her only child, an officer in the Navy, fighter pilot, served in WWII and flew 63 missions in Korea (I have a lot of them detailed on paper, dropping napalm and all kinds of disturbing stuff). He came back to the states and was assigned to teach pilots how to bomb targets, two months later he was flying a solo flight and his plane malfunctioned so he ejected but his chute didn't open so he was killed. He was only 26 so my mom was really destroyed and our family sort of imploded after that. I do have a relationship with my cousin so I do have family just not immediate family.

I'm going to do the ancestry.com when I get a chance because the stories are really interesting and who knows there may be some really interesting people that I would so love to hook up with. I really believe that every family has interesting stuff that's probably why that site does so well.

You will probably find military records on your dad-- they have loads of those. You might also find the ship your grandparents came over on-- I found my g-g-grandfather's name on the ship manifest he came over on. There are censuses that tell you a lot too-- some show the addresses of where your ancestors lived, and now with google map, you might be able to find the houses. I found the house my grandmother grew up in, and the one my father grew up in. It's amazing what the internet can do these days.

That's a great story about your grandma. She must've been a pistol!

marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
cookie wrote:

The subscription works out to $299/year. I'm a bit leery if something goes wrong and I don't cancel in time...these thing always happen to me Rolling Eyes Anyway, I read and write Greek so, if you need help, ask away!
cookie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
Marina thank you, I know that I still have a lot of family in Greece. WOW, $299.00, that is a lot. I am in the process of moving right now so when I get settled in I will look into it. I know that once I get on the site I will never get off my computer.
Secretly, that was a fascinating story. My spanish side has a lot of secrets and nobody ever talked about them. My cousins and I are trying to piece somethings together. Their grandmother who we were lead to believe was my great Aunt, is now the daughter of the maid.
InkyProse
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:06 am      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
cookie wrote:

The subscription works out to $299/year. I'm a bit leery if something goes wrong and I don't cancel in time...these thing always happen to me Rolling Eyes Anyway, I read and write Greek so, if you need help, ask away!

Marina,

You can get one month alone, and that would be only $19.95 or $29.95. You don't need to sign up for a whole year. Plus, you can get the first 2 weeks free, but that is only for US records, tho you do have some access to foreign records too.

They are a great company.You can see your account directly online and it shows when your account expires. If there is a problem with the expiration date, you can call or email the company. It's run out of Utah, mostly by the Mormon Church, and I have found the service to be some of the best I have ever encountered. They are very much on the up and up.

InkyProse
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:09 am      Reply with quote
cookie wrote:
Marina thank you, I know that I still have a lot of family in Greece. WOW, $299.00, that is a lot. I am in the process of moving right now so when I get settled in I will look into it. I know that once I get on the site I will never get off my computer.
Secretly, that was a fascinating story. My spanish side has a lot of secrets and nobody ever talked about them. My cousins and I are trying to piece somethings together. Their grandmother who we were lead to believe was my great Aunt, is now the daughter of the maid.

Cookie,

You don't need to sign up for a whole year. See my post to Marina.

Sounds like you have some great stories and secrets!!!

Here is a good website that is free:

http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start

It's run by the LDS church too.

secretly
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:40 am      Reply with quote
cookie wrote:

When you know there are secrets then for sure there are some humdinger stories!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:31 am      Reply with quote
secretly wrote:
cookie wrote:

When you know there are secrets then for sure there are some humdinger stories!

Yep, that's proven true in my family too! In fact, I just thought of a mystery that I can look up now...

TTD
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
Can't call them as it's out of their office hours. Hesitant to sign up as really wondering how well they will do on the China front. They might do Europe decently only..
InkyProse
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:22 am      Reply with quote
TTD wrote:
Can't call them as it's out of their office hours. Hesitant to sign up as really wondering how well they will do on the China front. They might do Europe decently only..

You can try the 2 week freebie. Just make sure you cancel your account at the 2 week mark. You can do that online. I did it with no problem.

fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:46 am      Reply with quote
InkyProse wrote:
TTD wrote:

You can try the 2 week freebie. Just make sure you cancel your account at the 2 week mark. You can do that online. I did it with no problem.

Hey TTD, please let us know how it works out on the China front! I'd be interested in trying it out too, but my family is all Asian. Thanks to Inky for recommending this site to us! Smile

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
TTD
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
fat_swan: enquired on prospects for investigating Chinese ancestors and they wrote the following:

[quote]We only have Chinese Surname Index for Jiapu Collection Dictionaries, Encyclopedias & Reference and China Country Study Dictionaries, Encyclopedias & Reference collections. Only if some members have put their trees online to check if they are related would be the only way to see any records from China.

You would need either a monthly or annual membership in order to view other member's trees.[/quote]

Think I'll give it a miss as that's the area I really need help with. Glad others are having fun
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:08 am      Reply with quote
TTD wrote:
Think I'll give it a miss as that's the area I really need help with. Glad others are having fun

Yeah me too. Thank so much for taking the trouble to contact them! Smile

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:51 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |