Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

which oil is most similar our own natural oil?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mex0050
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:01 am      Reply with quote
I heard Emu Oil and Jojoba....which one is better....or is there another one?
vananners

Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:11 am      Reply with quote
I've always been told jojoba is the closest. Emu is more moisturizing and occlusive. Also, emu oil is not humane since they boil the bird's flesh to obtain the oil by skimming it off the top of the water.
NOTCH
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
That is an excellent question mex0050, and it is probably the FIRST thing all cosmetic consumers should think about before buying any cosmetic product.

Your skin's natural sebum is made up of several ingredients including: Triglyceride Oils (Fatty Acids of rather defined amounts: 2% Myristic Acid, 20% Palmitic Acid, 4% Palmitoleic Acid, 11% Stearic Acid, 31% Oleic Acid, 5% Linoleic [Omega 6] Acid, and less than 1% Linolenic [Omega 9] and other fatty acids), Wax Esters, Cholesterol Wax Esters, Squalene, some phytosterols and ceramides. But the major components are Fatty Acids, Wax Esters and Squalene.

Now, Jojoba Oil is the ONLY source on earth of botanical wax esters. And these wax esters have the same composition as skin wax esters. Emu Oil does have a fatty acid composition similar to that of humans, essentially because it is a living creature. But, there are also more polyunsaturated fatty acids in Emu oil which means one thing... it is an inherently unstable oil. It will oxidize, rather quickly into short chain aldehydes and ketones and these molecules smell bad. That is the definition of becoming "rancid". There is just no way that I would formulate with, or put, animal fat on my skin. The FAR better choice is Macadamia oil which has a fatty acid profile extremely close to that of human sebum, and it is an inherently stable oil. It does not go rancid.

So, look for cosmetic products that combine jojoba oil, macadamia oil, squalene, and other inherently stable oils and you will have found a very "skin friendly" cosmetic product that not only will function very well as a moisturizer, but will not disrupt normal skin function like most other creams and lotions on the market today. This is scientific fact, and it is backed up by a study from the University of Sweden that was published last fall.

I hope this helps answer your question,

John

5% products discount

Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
I love, love, love jojoba. Have tried tons of other oils, keep coming back to jojoba. My very close second is Camellia. Emu does not seem to sit well with my skin. I use copper peptides, and I use jojoba with mine instead of Emu.
NOTCH
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddict75, I'll bet what you are in love with is: how "dry" jojoba seems to feel on the skin rather than oily or greasy like other triglyceride oils. As a matter of fact, Jojoba isn't an "oil" at all, but a liquid wax ester. Using this in creams and lotions can help achienve a true "oil free" claim. Also, the speed at which it penetrates the skin is amazing, due to the extreme compatibility to natural skin sebum. This makes it a fantastic emollient for carrying "actives" into the skin.

That's why I feel it is just as important, if not MORE important to use products with botanical, stable, and skin friendly emollients... rather than just looking for the "active" ingredients. Without good skin friendly emollients, most active ingredients don't stand a chance of penetrating deep into the skin to perform any function.

John

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
I would also say that jojoba and macadamia oils are the best for skin. I tried Emu oil and my skin break out with hives and blisters. On the top of that reaction I felt nauseous because of the smell of Emu oil. I have to say that oil was fresh and a smell is not very strong and it is probably just an allergic reaction to Emu protein as my allergist said.

Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
NOTCH wrote:
skincareaddict75, I'll bet what you are in love with is: how "dry" jojoba seems to feel on the skin rather than oily or greasy like other triglyceride oils. As a matter of fact, Jojoba isn't an "oil" at all, but a liquid wax ester. Using this in creams and lotions can help achienve a true "oil free" claim. Also, the speed at which it penetrates the skin is amazing, due to the extreme compatibility to natural skin sebum. This makes it a fantastic emollient for carrying "actives" into the skin.

That's why I feel it is just as important, if not MORE important to use products with botanical, stable, and skin friendly emollients... rather than just looking for the "active" ingredients. Without good skin friendly emollients, most active ingredients don't stand a chance of penetrating deep into the skin to perform any function.

John

John, do you think that since jojoba is closely related to skin's natural oils that it's bad for oily, acne prone skin? A lot of acne prone individuals are swearing by it but it makes me a little cautious. Is jojoba beneficial or harmful for oily, acne prone skin?
skincareaddict75
5% products discount

Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
I have acne prone skin and i use clarified jojoba.
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using hemp oil to massage my face. However, I do not use it where I have enlarged pores. Any thoughts on hemp oil?

5% products discount

Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
you know, i love hemp oil, but it gets rancid way, way too easily for me. Sad
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
Camelia oil is good for acne prone skin.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, hemp oil is highly unstable with far too many polyunsaturated fatty acids. It will go rancid quickly.

If you used refined Jojoba Oil, you will find that it is not pore clogging and will not flare up any type of acne. Of course, if your skin is already "oily" I would not overload any liquids on the skin. A very fine coating of jojoba surely wouldn't hurt though. Or, a good lotion that contains jojoba and other non-comedogenic emollients.

John

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
Anyone knows about Apricot oil?
vananners

Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:51 am      Reply with quote
NOTCH wrote:
Yes, hemp oil is highly unstable with far too many polyunsaturated fatty acids. It will go rancid quickly.

If you used refined Jojoba Oil, you will find that it is not pore clogging and will not flare up any type of acne. Of course, if your skin is already "oily" I would not overload any liquids on the skin. A very fine coating of jojoba surely wouldn't hurt though. Or, a good lotion that contains jojoba and other non-comedogenic emollients.

John

Thanks, John. Do you have a good moisturizer in mind for oily, acne prone skin? I normally wouldn't even use a moisturizer (just a 'moisturizing' toner) but BP has left my skin pretty dried out and flakey.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
NOTCH wrote:

John

How long can you keep hemp oil for? And do you have to keep it chilled?
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Notch,
Does the macadamia oil have to be refined/ cold pressed/ extra virgin/ or have some fancy term? The only kind I found here in Asia is for plain old cooking. Will that do? Thanks!
And can you please share with us your opinion on grapeseed oil (the cooking kind)? I'm interested in incorporating that into my routine for the antioxidants as well. Thanks!
Swan

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
qiongsh
5% products discount

Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
try rosehip oil~~ Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
I don't trust synthetic oil. And even plant's oil still could not be similar with the oil from our skin.
Maybe, I think oil from some animal, who has the similar DNA with us, may has the oil that you need.
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
I know no one asked for my opinion... but using animal oil (including emu) is gross and inhumane...
mex0050
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:54 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, thank you NOTCH for all the information. Very Happy
NOTCH
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:51 am      Reply with quote
fat_swan wrote:
Hi Notch,
Does the macadamia oil have to be refined/ cold pressed/ extra virgin/ or have some fancy term? The only kind I found here in Asia is for plain old cooking. Will that do? Thanks!
And can you please share with us your opinion on grapeseed oil (the cooking kind)? I'm interested in incorporating that into my routine for the antioxidants as well. Thanks!
Swan

I would look for "refined and pasteurized" Macadamia Oil for one very critical reason...nut allergies. It is critical to de-nature the nut "proteins" out of the oil so that only the fatty acids remain. It is these fatty acids that the skin needs. The nut "proteins" are what cause allegies, some of which can be quite severe. I would caution against using the "raw" macadamia oil.

There is no doubt that Grape Seed oil (Vitis Vinifera) has antioxidant properties. The only problem is Grape Seed Oil has approximately 73% polyunsaturated fatty acids, which means it is going to be a highly unstable oil. It can oxidize and go rancid very easily (losing activity). If you choose to use Grape Seed Oil, buy the freshest supply you can, keep it refrigerated, and try to use it up as quickly as possible.

Hope this helps,

John

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:41 am      Reply with quote
Wow thank you for the informative posts, John! Smile
samantha185
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:18 am      Reply with quote
How about olive-oil derived squalane?

I used Squalane before and it certainly was absorbed into my skin fast without leaving the usual oily-feel...

There was still the 'film' feeling but it's more of the silky feeling as opposed to the sticky feeling? Haha sorry but that's the best description I can give at the moment Razz

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:46 am      Reply with quote
I recently discovered chaulmoogra butter/oil from garden of wisdom and it is definitely at the top of my list now, and I've tried every oil mentioned thus far except macadamia oil. It is very healing and plumping, almost the consistency of vaseline, but it absorbs quickly and leaves a non greasy dewiness to the skin. I'm also really liking hazelnut oil.

It's odd though, I've found certain varieties of jojoba oil I've loved, and others I absolutely hated, so often times it may depend on the source of your oil, it's origin, how it is produced, level of refinement, etc...I think this makes a bigger difference than one may expect.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
I've seen lanolin quoted by medical sources.

BF
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |