Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Clarisonic + Rosacea + Broken Capillaries =
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Charmed1
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Should you use the Clarisonic system if you have rosacea or broken capillaries? The short answer in my opinion is no.

I am writing this lengthy version for people with rosacea and/or broken capillaries. My hope would be to give some useful strategies that I have learned through practical experience.

What to avoid and why:

1. The sun, use a sunscreen ~ the left side of my face has more broken capillaries and two (!!!!!!) developing moles/ brown spots, whereas the right side of my face with the correct care is flawless. Why? I think it is from incidental sun exposure while driving daily. Bottom line ~ daily use of sunscreen is essential.
2. Avoid strong acids. I went through most of my life not using any acids on my face, then my dermatologist recommended a cleanser with glycolic acid (I have combination skin with a tendency towards blackheads on my nose). At first my skin looked great. After several months, I had the worst rosacea flare – up of my life. It took a long time to realize that the skin barrier had been damaged and that the glycolic acid in the cleanser had done the damage; it took so much time for the damage to appear that I did not readily attribute the flare – up to the glycolic acid cleanser. It took months to calm my skin and to find the right products after this experience. Acids in concentrations higher than 2% are too much for rosacea in my opinion.
3. The Clarisonic is not your friend. It took one week for the Clarisonic to cause my broken capillaries to be more pronounced (from barely visible to a dark reddish color). My skin also looked blotchy; I took a week off and tried again being exceptionally careful with timing, pressure, etc. = same result. In my case and in my opinion, the Clarisonic is not helpful to rosacea and can actually make it worse.
4. Finally, you know your skin best. I see one of the top dermatologists in the Washington, DC area and yet she has recommended two things which I think are damaging to rosacea ~ the glycolic acid cleanser and the Clarisonic. I continue to see her because unfortunately I have “bigger fish to fry” than my rosacea (which is pretty much under control) and that is skin cancer, she is an expert on skin cancer and treatment.

What I do now at 53:

Cleanse with ReVive Gentle cleanser in the AM. Put on ReVive Serum Protectif with a great antioxidant (SOD) and finish with ReVive Sensitif Cream with an “acceptable – to - me” sunscreen. I use the ReVive neck cream on my neck and chest.

The basics are a gentle cleanser, an antioxidant serum, and a sunscreen. I don’t think it has to be ReVive, just what works for you. I have found that for me the Serum Protectif is the keystone of my regime and it totally eliminates my redness. It does have glycolic acid of 2% concentration ~ I have used it for almost two years with no problems.

Finally, my dirty little secret Shhh ~ I only cleanse once a day in the AM, I don’t wear make-up (I do get my eyelashes tinted) and I don’t cleanse at night. I do add stuff at night, like Aldara (skin cancer treatment for six weeks once a year three times a week) on my nose or Avage (Tazorac) on my nose three - five times a week when I am not using Aldara. In the winter, I sometimes use ReVive Fluid Superbe on dry spots at night.

My skin is still combination skin and normally not overly dry. I am very, very fair with greenish-brown, hazel eyes and chestnut, reddish-brown hair if that helps. I burn in the sun at first, but, will tan very slightly over time. I know this from my pre – sunscreen days.
Charmed1
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
I e-mailed ReVive and will let you know the percentage of Vitamin C in their serum (ReVive Arrete Booster C) as soon as I know.

I found out the percentage of glycolic acid in their Serum Protectif by submitting an inquiry on their website at Live Chat.

For the Clarisonic ~ I understand that some people with rosacea use the Clarisonic with success. I am just speaking from my personal experience. I had such a bad reaction that even though I was using the Sensitive brush that came with the Clarisonic ~ I was not even remotely tempted to try the Delicate brush.

P.S. ~ I really don't work for ReVive! I am just sharing what works for me. For some reason when I reached perimenopause and after the damage caused by my glycolic acid cleanser, my rosacea became very reactive. I spent a lot of time and money searching for a product that would heal my skin and keep it calm. I was so pleased when I found ReVive and it evened out my skin tone, seemed to prevent further damage, and kept my skin calm and happy. Truthfully, I was just thrilled that my face was no longer constantly red! Embarassed

P.S.S. I also love other products ~ I used the Babor two step cleansing system for 20 years and loved it. It just became increasingly difficult to find for me after my esthetician passed away at a very young age. They do sell Babor here at EDS!!!
I also used Creme de la Mer for 10 years and received so many compliments on my skin during most of my forties thanks to Babor and Creme de la Mer. But, for some reason the La Mer stopped working for me ~ I still miss it, it was such a part of my routine ~ that and the La Mer Concentrate kept my rosacea under control for ages, but, then stopped working for me Sad

I just hope that my experiences might be helpful to someone else.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:46 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |