Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
NSAIDS & Collagen
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
secretly
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
I was reading an interesting piece on athletes taking Ibuprofen and how common practice it is but how they're seeing it actually increases inflammation and then I read this paragraph:

NSAIDs actually slowed the healing of injured muscles, tendons, ligament, and bones. “NSAIDs work by inhibiting the production of prostaglandins,”substances that are involved in pain and also in the creation of collagen, Warden says. Collagen is the building block of most tissues. So fewer prostaglandins mean less collagen, “which inhibits the healing of tissue and bone injuries,” Warden says, including the micro-tears and other trauma to muscles and tissues that can occur after any strenuous workout or race.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/01/phys-ed-does-ibuprofen-help-or-hurt-during-exercise/

Just thought I'd share because we all are interested in building collagen and reducing inflammation!

I can't take Ibuprofen because it tends to give me instant gastritis, but it does work well for pain doesn't it?

Here's some food to increase collagen:

Dark green vegetables (raw): Kale, Spinach, collards, and asparagus

Red fruits and vegetables (raw): Berries, Tomatoes, red peppers, and beets. Also Blueberries and Blackberries for their antioxidant properties. Fewer free radicals = more collagen production.

Omega fatty Acids such as: Salmon, tuna, cashews, pecans, almonds, Brazil nuts, and avocados.

Rich in sulfur foods, such as: Black Olives, Cucumbers, celery, carrots, cantaloupe, and sweet potatoes.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
I guess this explains why Toby is having great skin results from her intense use of Green smoothies - and I'm all about them these days myself.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
YES! Also I forgot to put beans on the list, I love to have beans cooked and in the freezer to take out when I have nothing to eat. Here's a recipe for beans and for tomato soup that's also SO GOOD:

Yum Yum Comfort Chili

2-3 cups black beans or mixture of beans/barley
Ground beef or sirloin
1 Red onion
1 Bell pepper
2 Zucchinis
2 Yellow squash
4-5 Celery stalks
4 Carrots
5-6 large tomatoes-or large can of crushed tomatoes and sauce
4 cloves garlic
Cumin
Cayenne pepper
Dried chilies (the kind you sprinkle on pizza)
Ground pepper
Salt
Oregano
Parsley
Olive oil

Brown beef, onions, and garlic in olive oil (in a large soup pot). Add seasoning, water, beans, chopped bell pepper, chopped carrots, chopped celery, and chopped tomatoes. Cook till the beans are almost done and then add the chopped squash and zucchini, season more if needed, then finish cooking. Serve with grated cheese on top and sliced avocados.

Tip: set timer every 15 minutes so you can stir it. If you need to add water you can do it when stirring, chili should not be soupy when done.

Tomato (anti-oxidant) Soup
Makes 3 Quarts

1 eight-ounce jar sun dried tomatoes in olive oil
1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
12 ripe beefsteak tomatoes, washed and scored into quarters
3 quarts homemade or ready-made organic chicken broth
1 large handful fresh basil, washed, stems removed
2 tablespoons freshly grated nutmeg
cayenne pepper, to taste
sea salt and pepper, to taste
whole cream, optional

In a large soup pot, over medium-high heat, heat the sun dried tomatoes and all of the oil. When hot, add the onion and sauté until soft, about five minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add tomatoes to pot, cover with chicken broth and cook over medium heat for one hour, until very mushy. Turn off heat, add basil and cover. When completely cool (or soup will splatter out of the blender), purée soup, about 60 seconds per batch, until very smooth. Rinse pot and wipe dry. (You may strain the soup for a smoother consistency if desired.) Return soup to the pot. Season with nutmeg, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and pour cream into the center of each bowl.

5% products discount

Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:56 am      Reply with quote
wow, thanks for the info on NSAIDS. I've been taking them for a long time due to back pain/surgery.

As well as worrying about my skin, the operation I had was a joint fusion on both sides of my back and it's critical that the fusion knit and grow into the exising joints - you'd think my doc would have mentioned the effect of NSAIDS!!! I'm on quite strong ones but I might try and cut back and introduce more of the foods listed.

Really appreciate the post x
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:00 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |