Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Can ultrasound ruin tissue with long term use?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:20 am      Reply with quote
yes, you are right riley, media bandwagons can be misleading too! Very Happy (new breakthrough, news coming up at 11PM!!)
What I am more referring to are stories that get picked up and then become part of our common knowledge - like Retin A or chemical peels for example (although people have had mixed results with these - they have provided lots of visible benefit to many, many, many people)

As far as my own successes:

Retin A and Vitamin C serums, Botox and fillers...these have stripped at least 5-10 years away from my appearance.
Only time will tell if anything else I do will help, like dermarollers and antioxidants (have not tried peptides yet).

I am coming to accept the fact that I can keep up the good fight on wrinkles and skin texture. What I will likely need help with in the future is sagging. I will likely get surgery at some point to preserve my jaw line and maybe neck area. Some people collect antiques or great cars - I collect skincare Smile

Somec
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:23 am      Reply with quote
how could I leave out sunscreen?? eek, yes that is crucial to - but harder to measure Smile how do you measure something that never came to be? LOL

All I know is that I trust in it and no longer freckle when I go out into the sun - so it must be effective!

BF
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:30 am      Reply with quote
I need to repeat that because I believe it is very important. I used to tan and freckle before I became a skincare believer Smile

Now, I never see any freckles or increased pigmentation..so this gives me a sense that I am fending off further damage. If I do not apply sunscreen to my arms - they freckle up within minutes of sun exposure.

I rarely put sunscreen on my legs - preferring to get my natural Vitamin D that way.

As far as Vitamin C, yes, I either make my own fresh and apply it immediately and discard the rest of the batch OR I use the tetrahexydecylascorbate form of the vitamin. I realize the jury is still out on this form of the vitamin, but it is already in use by dermatologists whose work I respect, so I use it as well.

Also, I do not use it during the daytime. I realize this is controversial, so I will leave it at that.

BF
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:49 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:

What I am more referring to are stories that get picked up and then become part of our common knowledge - like Retin A or chemical peels for example (although people have had mixed results with these - they have provided lots of visible benefit to many, many, many people)

Retin-A is a slightly different case in point. Because it is a pharmaceutical drug it comes under stringent guidelines and clinical testing. A drug must do what it states.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:01 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
I need to repeat that because I believe it is very important. I used to tan and freckle before I became a skincare believer Smile

Now, I never see any freckles or increased pigmentation..so this gives me a sense that I am fending off further damage. If I do not apply sunscreen to my arms - they freckle up within minutes of sun exposure.

I rarely put sunscreen on my legs - preferring to get my natural Vitamin D that way.

BF

I only use the sunscreen on my face, and I do have the freckles/damage on my arms, which I intend to work on this fall! I am horrible with body care.

What sunscreen are you using that is working so well for you, BFgirl?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:05 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Well the efficacy of Vitamin C is yet another contentious issue. The general opinion of the scientific community is that Vitamin C oxidises almost immediately when exposed to light or air, rendering it completely useless. A chemist, whose opinion I value, told me that all of the OTC Vitamin C products are a waste of time.

I have read this a lot, and I have also read that is why it is necessary to mix up the antioxidants and use not just 1 but a whole variety of them.

I wonder if a product like skinmedica's C that combines the water and oil forms of C is not a better way to go?
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:14 am      Reply with quote
I think Sigma makes a very important point for those of us with a history of skin cancer:

Quote:
Just wanted to mention - that after using Stop (which did not do too much to improve my skin) I developed a spot on my nose that definitely was not there before. I had to have it checked by the dermatologist (and now will have to check it regularly in addition to all other ones I have).

We need to be very careful about anything we use on our skin. In my readings about ultrasound, I have read that skin cancer cells can regenerate more quickly (and I'm sorry I can't find the cite right now and don't remember the conditions under which that occurs - I'll add it later). I also read that what you use as coupling gel is important.
faeriedust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:50 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried putting the bellaire 2mhz ultrasound in water to see the bubbles? But wouldnt it be damaged by the water?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:24 am      Reply with quote
Let me clarify - water is a conductor, what needs to be immersed in water is not the entire unit, but the transducer part only (in case of spatula - it is that protruding thing that touches the face, in case of smallish units - the end part that touches the face). They should sealed and thus water proof (otherwise they are not worth anything at all), most of Bellaire products look to be sealed.

HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:54 am      Reply with quote
Thanks!!!

I dont actually own any ultrasound device from Bellaire. I was planning on getting one but now Im unsure.
Why did you say something is not technically right on the Bellaire website? So Bellaire is not a good brand?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:03 am      Reply with quote
I never said Bellaire is not a good brand. I do not know if it is or not, since I do not own their unit, and had never evaluated them.

I did point out their website to people (bio-medical engineers), who mentioned that some info was not entirely correct. At the time I did not bother to pursue it further, so can not elaborate more on that. I have to go back and talk to them.

Not knowing what kind of quality control they have in the absence of FDA regulations and testing, and just relying on the word of the manufacturer may be risky.

Also, there are no studies to confirm the safety of prolonged use of ultrasound device - that is another risk.

These are the basic points I was trying to make.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:17 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Here's a PubMed study that's encouraging.. (I think.. Embarassed )

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17372061

I read the abstract, and that is not necessary an encouraging study; it's a safety test study designed to see when ultrasound damages tissues and when it does not. The punchline was that they were using ultrasound to inflict tissue damage, but trying to understand the extent of that tissue damage for safety reasons and how much intensity is needed to inflict tissue damage. They found that 5 Joules of energy was enough to damage the dermis (but not the epidermis), so anything below that should theoretically not cause tissue damage. Also, they found that the penetration depth does not depend on the intensity of the ultrasound, so the good news is that a more intense ultrasound unit does not inflict tissue damage at deeper levels than would be expected by the frequency or MHz rating of the unit.

HTH Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:45 am      Reply with quote
faeriedust wrote:
Has anyone tried putting the bellaire 2mhz ultrasound in water to see the bubbles?

I'll try later today with the 2 MHz and the ezzi-peel and see what it looks like. The 2 MHz model does come with a low and high button, as well as a continuous or pulse mode - so I'll check it all out and report back.
red head
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:39 am      Reply with quote
sorry to also be the spoiler but since not using 302 my skin has never looked better and i get compliments once again I also have been using NIA 24 Skin Strengthening Cream at night and have seen a huge improvement in the tone and clarity of my skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:52 am      Reply with quote
You're not a spoiler Smile if it works for you, it works for you Smile

It's good to get feedback on a product with niacin. I am planning to add that to serums I make.

For sunscreen, I alternate between Blue Lizard for faces and Avene Emulsion.

I use spray sunscreen on my arms and body. - usually something with AvoTriplex or Heliocare such as Neutrogena and Banana Boat.

BF
Justine1900
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
This is so scary.

Probably very naive question here: does any of this apply to the Clarisonic or Sonciare toothbrush?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
Alright. Just performed the test with the transducer head in water. On the 2 MHz ultrasound both low and high intensity, this did not create any bubbles at all for me. Both intensities pushed a column of water straight down. The high intensity just made the water move a little quicker. Bottom line is that no bubbles were created.
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
sigma wrote:

One can do a simple test - put it in a glass of water and see the bubbles. If the bubbles are intense - the advice is to use the machine sparingly, otherwise it should be low enough not to be dangerous.

4). I believe (and feel free to correct me) that there is no long term studies of the effect of the frequent use of the Ultrasound devices for facial applications (i.e. use at your own risk).

HTH

Thankyou so much for sharing this info, sigma!

What would be considered "frequent" use, though, I wonder? I've rarely used my 2mhz due to just being too tired to bother, but I was planning to use it once or twice a week for awhile.

Barefootgirl, I remember you posting that info (and thankyou for sharing, too). I hope Dr Fernandes is mistaken about home units being ineffective Neutral I guess time will tell, though.

(If I ever get around to using mine on a regular basis, that is Rolling Eyes )

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:52 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Alright. Just performed the test with the transducer head in water. On the 2 MHz ultrasound both low and high intensity, this did not create any bubbles at all for me. Both intensities pushed a column of water straight down. The high intensity just made the water move a little quicker. Bottom line is that no bubbles were created.

Thanks for doing that test! So I guess homeheld ultrasound devices should be okay for long term use because they seem milder?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:53 am      Reply with quote
red head wrote:
sorry to also be the spoiler but since not using 302 my skin has never looked better and i get compliments once again I also have been using NIA 24 Skin Strengthening Cream at night and have seen a huge improvement in the tone and clarity of my skin.

Hi what else do you use with NIA skincare? I have a problem with uneven skintone.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:54 am      Reply with quote
faeriedust wrote:
rileygirl wrote:

Thanks for doing that test! So I guess homeheld ultrasound devices should be okay for long term use because they seem milder?

That would be my own personal take on it, faeriedust. I would think that if the device had created major bubbles you would not want to use that on your face, because it would doing the same thing to your skin as it is doing to the water. It would definitely have to have some major power to create bubbles. That said, I at least feel that the Bellaire units are safe to use.
faeriedust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
Does ultrasound penetrate the top of the skin or just the bottom?
This ultrasound machine targets a specific area within the deep layers of the skin, supposedly leaving the top layer untouched. I wonder why. So ultrasound is not good for the upper layer of the skin?

http://www.ulthera.com/international/for_patients/questions_answers.html

http://www.ulthera.com/pdfs/news/DermatologyTimes2007.pdf

http://www.ulthera.com/pdfs/news/European-Aesthetic-Guide-Spring-2009.pdf

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
Anyone else have the ultrasound/galvanic unit from Rita at Prolight? I thought I remember seeing a way to test it, but I can't find it now. And because it doesn't operate by battery, I don't want to stick it in water.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
Anyone else have the ultrasound/galvanic unit from Rita at Prolight? I thought I remember seeing a way to test it, but I can't find it now. And because it doesn't operate by battery, I don't want to stick it in water.

Skippie, the 2 MHz doesn't operate on battery either, you plug that in. I used a clear glass, filled it up with water, and stuck just the transducer part in the water.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
OK, thanks, Rileygirl. I'm going to write you into my will first, though, leaving you the Warp 10 so that the green tea experiment can be carried on. Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:21 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |