Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Study: LED Light And Green Tea Cream Smooth Facial Wrinkles
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
caboodle
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:37 am      Reply with quote
Study Shows: LED Light And Green Tea Cream Smooth Facial Wrinkles

Scientists in Germany are reporting a major improvement in their potential new treatment for facial wrinkles that could emerge as an alternative to Botox and cosmetic surgery. The non-invasive technique combines high-intensity light from light-emitting diodes (LEDs) and a lotion made of green tea extract. It works ten times faster than a similar anti-wrinkle treatment that uses LEDs alone, the researchers say.

Andrei P. Sommer and Dan Zhu point out that researchers have used light-therapy, or phototherapy, for more than 40 years to help heal wounds. Recently the scientists showed that use of high-intensity LEDs, similar to those used in automotive tail lights and computers, could help reduce skin wrinkles when applied daily for several months. But exposure to intense LED light is also involved in generating high levels of reactive oxygen species as byproducts that can potentially damage cells. To combat that effect, the researchers combined the LED with a potent antioxidant in green tea extract called epigallocatechin gallate.

They applied a daily combination of LED light and green tea extract to the facial wrinkles of a human volunteer one month. The combination treatment resulted in smoother skin, including "less pronounced wrinkle levels, shorter wrinkle valleys, and juvenile complexion," the scientists say. The treatment showed promising results in only one-tenth of the time it took for LED therapy alone to reduce wrinkles. The study could form the basis of "an effective facial rejuvenation program," and lead to a new understanding of the effect reactive oxygen species on cellular aging, they note.

Article at: http://j.mp/44ONt
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
Great info caboodle, thank you!

So for anybody that wants to experiment with this, here's the LED treatment recipe I posted here a while ago.. We'll just take out the "optional" on the green tea.. Laughing (And yes, this recipe works well with the LED, I promise you!)

PRE-TREATMENT SERUM FOR LED USE

3oz distilled water
1 TBS AHA cream (I use Alpha Hydroxy Souffle, but I guess any would do)
1 TBS SKB (Sea Kelp Bioferment)
1/2 tsp HA Serum (Hyaluronic Acid)
1/4 tsp Green Tea Extract

Gently warm the water in the microwave for 5 or 6 seconds and set aside.

Mix the HA + Green Tea into the SKB, add that mixture to the AHA cream, then very gradually add the water, while stirring constntly.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
That's great information. Thanks for sharing, caboodle. This statement does concern me, though:

Quote:
But exposure to intense LED light is also involved in generating high levels of reactive oxygen species as byproducts that can potentially damage cells.
ricayhermosa
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
That's great information. Thanks for sharing, caboodle. This statement does concern me, though:

Quote:
But exposure to intense LED light is also involved in generating high levels of reactive oxygen species as byproducts that can potentially damage cells.

Perhaps it means too much light will cause damage, for example, using more than 3 minutes per area every day?

I wonder if it works the same to apply the green extract after LED treatment. I am using Paula's Choice Super Antioxidants and it contains epigallocatechin gallate, but it also contains cones so I can't use it as pre-treatment.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:

Quote:

Does this have anything to do with the "collagen digesting enzymes" that I've read about?

I swear, there is always something bad, to go along with the good.. Crying or Very sad

I think if tools and gadgets are just kept spaced with a day of rest between it's much safer all the way around.. Many of these tools we use energize the cells in one way or another, and I really believe that a day of rest to allow it to do it's thing will not only give better results, but will not put us in the 'chronic inflammation' arena.

Personally I don't overdue anything, and I never use my LED or Tua Viso more than once or twice per week.. And I'm fanatical about my topical antioxidants + beneficial oils etc, so I'm giving those cells exactly what they need to build, and fight the free radical damage..

So far I've done nothing but improve, so something is working...

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
You do look great, Kassy. Did you ever have any sag and if so, how did you get rid of it?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:

Quote:

I'm thinking it has to do with free radicals?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_oxygen_species

Slightly OT, but speaking of LED's, I read on Truth in Aging that red LED with GHK has been shown to increase collagen production by fibroblasts.
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Skippie wrote:

Quote:

I'm thinking it has to do with free radicals?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_oxygen_species

Slightly OT, but speaking of LED's, I read on Truth in Aging that red LED with GHK has been shown to increase collagen production by fibroblasts.

What is GHK please?
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
Riley girl - what do you mean by GHK? Thanks.

Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:

I'm thinking GHK Copper Peptides, maybe?

ETA: Here's the TIA link RG mentioned...
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:
sister sweets wrote:

I'm thinking GHK Copper Peptides, maybe?

ETA: Here's the TIA link RG mentioned...

Yep, copper peptides. GHK is supposedly the active copper and sometimes called copper tripeptide (developed by Pickart).

ETA: Thanks for the link, Havana. You are always on top of things! Very Happy)
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
Just found this regarding the LED and GHK. I have not tried to find this study, but putting it here in case any one else wants to!

Effect of LED lights and GHK-Cu on fibroblasts Cultured fibroblasts were treated with red LED lights and GHK-Cu. The combination had an additive action increasing cell viability 12.5 fold, beta-FGF 2.3 fold, and also collagen production.

Huang PJ, Huang YC, Su MF, Yang TY, Huang JR, Jiang CP, In vitro observations on the influence of copper peptide aids for the LED photoirradiation of fibroblast collagen synthesis. Photomed Laser Surg. 2007 Jun;25(3):183-90.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:37 am      Reply with quote
I see that the GHK study used red LED lights. I wish I knew what lights the green tea study used. Do you think they were red, too?
milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:18 am      Reply with quote
I've been using Kassys' LED Pre-Treatment and alternating with Kassys' 15% Vit. C, E + Ferulic with my AALS and there have been noticeable improvements in the texture and luminance of my skin.

Went to see a long time friend for lunch during the holiday weekend and she was stunned that I do not have any brown spots on my hands!! I have been using the AALS on the back of my hands as well as my face/neck/decolletage.

Even Hubby has made positive compliments over the past weeks and admits he was wrong about LED treatments.....he is an engineer so you can understand how preoccupied he is.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
I think I may have found a related article by Andrei Sommer and Dan Zhu. I don't understand a lot of what I'm reading, but I love the before and after picture. The interesting part of the article (to me, anyway) is that they used a WARP 10 LED which was originally developed for pain alleviation for soldiers.

Quote:
Operating in the range 600−720 nm (central wavelength 670 nm, 50% relative spectral output 660−680 nm), it covers a 10 cm2 area with an integral light intensity of 728 W m−2. To exclude adverse effects, that is, inhibition of cellular functions,irradiation times were adjusted to doses around 4 × 104 J m−2, known to temporally increase blood circulation.

They also said they had used another LED which was ineffective.

Quote:
Prior to utilizing the WARP 10, we irradiated the same facial zones according to the same protocol for a consecutive period of three months using a home-built 660 nm LED array, delivering an intensity of 70 W m−2. Importantly, the irradiation was ineffective, presumably because the intensity was simply too small to produce a substantial change in the interfacial water organization.

Another interesting quote:

Quote:
We found clear observational evidence for the existence of light intensity thresholds, that is, the capacity of the light to change the order of interfacial water. It may be noted that the WARP 10 operates in the wavelength window which has been used for more than 40 years in wound healing, far from both ultraviolet and infrared radiation. According to recent research high doses (360−720 × 104 J m−2) of infrared radiation (760−1440 nm) possibly contribute to photoaging.

Here's the link to the article (maybe you can explain it to me): http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/cg8000703?cookieSet=1

I then took a look at the Warp 10 and am now thinking about buying it (price is $575.95 without charger and batteries - they offer a flexpay option, too). Would love your input.

http://www.warplighttherapy.com/WARP10_ProductsPage.htm
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
Can't find the before/after picture. Anyone want to post the link?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
Frodo wrote:
Can't find the before/after picture. Anyone want to post the link?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090909103013.htm
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Rileygirl, but the way I read the post was that the before/afters were associated with the Warp 10. BTW,love the name of the Warp 10.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:47 am      Reply with quote
Frodo,

There are actually two pictures showing before and afters using the Warp 10, one is after 9 weeks and the other is after 10 months. They are both on this page: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/cg8000703?cookieSet=1

Maybe copy that in your browser if you can't get to it by clicking on the link.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:28 am      Reply with quote
Kassy...is the green tea extract something that you can get in the health food store as a vitamin supplement, or is it one that is designed only for topical application that should be purchased from a skincare supplier?

Kassy_A wrote:
Great info caboodle, thank you!

So for anybody that wants to experiment with this, here's the LED treatment recipe I posted here a while ago.. We'll just take out the "optional" on the green tea.. Laughing (And yes, this recipe works well with the LED, I promise you!)

PRE-TREATMENT SERUM FOR LED USE

3oz distilled water
1 TBS AHA cream (I use Alpha Hydroxy Souffle, but I guess any would do)
1 TBS SKB (Sea Kelp Bioferment)
1/2 tsp HA Serum (Hyaluronic Acid)
1/4 tsp Green Tea Extract

Gently warm the water in the microwave for 5 or 6 seconds and set aside.

Mix the HA + Green Tea into the SKB, add that mixture to the AHA cream, then very gradually add the water, while stirring constntly.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:51 am      Reply with quote
I've ordered the Warp 10, so I'll provide some feedback when I have used it. They offer a 60-day money back guarantee, so that gives me plenty of time to see if it's making a difference.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:03 am      Reply with quote
Good luck, Skippie. I will be watching for your progress. Will you be using any green tea product with that light? (Wonder if the company that sells the Warp 10 would know what topical was used in the study?)
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:52 am      Reply with quote
Yes, Rileygirl, I do plan to use green tea with it. I actually have a green tea lotion that I may try, but I'm also going to order the extract. I'm going to trial it on the back of my neck which has a major deep wrinkle running across it. I have had short hair most of my life, have very fair skin and do a lot of gardening, but didn't start being serious about sunscreen until this year, so I have major damage on the back of my neck. The prolight platinum hasn't helped at all.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:07 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mountaingirl - I think (?) Kassy gets her green tea extract from skinactives (website). They have ferulic acid also and hyaluronic acid - great site for us DIY'ers.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
Kassy...is the green tea extract something that you can get in the health food store as a vitamin supplement, or is it one that is designed only for topical application that should be purchased from a skincare supplier?

When it comes to DIY, always use the actives from a DIY supplier.. Supplements always have either gylycerin, preservatives, gelatin or other fillers, and just don't measure up..

You can get great green tea extract from any of the DIY suppliers. It's best to use the pure extracts/actives for formulating. Lotioncrafters.com is a good one also.

System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:45 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |