Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Study: LED Light And Green Tea Cream Smooth Facial Wrinkles
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:19 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
Kassy is there another way of doing this minus the microwave. Its just that I'm completely against microwaves after learning that anything you microwave changes and when you put it in the body, it leeches stuff from the body to complete the microwaved item.

This topic came up on one of the 302 threads (I think the original). At any rate, Dr. Huber did not believe this to be true. I had to warm up the 302 drops in the microwave to get them to penetrate my skin. You may want to check out the 302 thread and see if you can find his post regarding that issue (all his info is in blue text).
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:22 am      Reply with quote
Great thanks - on my way over to look at that now.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
You can easily heat gently on the stove in a water bath, Pyrex or any heat proof glass in a pan of water until just warmed. I would suggest watching carefully so as not to over heat and stir often!

HTH
DM

TheresaMary wrote:
Kassy is there another way of doing this minus the microwave. Its just that I'm completely against microwaves after learning that anything you microwave changes and when you put it in the body, it leeches stuff from the body to complete the microwaved item. I'm kind of thinking the same would happen with a lotion we use on the skin. Sorry not very scientific I know but there are a few people who can probably explain it better than me.

Does anyone have experience of premade ready Greentea lotions we can purchase?
Kassy_A wrote:
Great info caboodle, thank you!

So for anybody that wants to experiment with this, here's the LED treatment recipe I posted here a while ago.. We'll just take out the "optional" on the green tea.. Laughing (And yes, this recipe works well with the LED, I promise you!)

PRE-TREATMENT SERUM FOR LED USE

3oz distilled water
1 TBS AHA cream (I use Alpha Hydroxy Souffle, but I guess any would do)
1 TBS SKB (Sea Kelp Bioferment)
1/2 tsp HA Serum (Hyaluronic Acid)
1/4 tsp Green Tea Extract

Gently warm the water in the microwave for 5 or 6 seconds and set aside.

Mix the HA + Green Tea into the SKB, add that mixture to the AHA cream, then very gradually add the water, while stirring constntly.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
Apologies if I'm not quite getting this right, but seeing as the original study used brewed green tea with warm/hot water, is there an advantage to using green tea extract instead?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
neondaze wrote:
Apologies if I'm not quite getting this right, but seeing as the original study used brewed green tea with warm/hot water, is there an advantage to using green tea extract instead?

I am thinking just more for convenience, neondaze?
neondaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
I am thinking just more for convenience, neondaze?

Ahh great! thanks rileygirl you're always so onto it! I was beginning to think I was missing something real important and there was a special reason for using green tea extract Smile
lynnn
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:59 am      Reply with quote
It is amazing how much you have researched ingredients and combinations, etc. You pretty much have to be a chemist to figure it all out. I am amazed at the wealth of knowledge on this site!! I have been using my led for 2 weeks now with various green tea mixtures. Last couple of times I used matcha green tea diluted with a little distilled water (which I find dries my skin especially around the eye area - which concerns me a bit) Once I have added my day cream the dryness seems to leave, but I wonder if it is doing any good and if I should be adding specifics to the green tea like many of you. I've tried mixing green tea with shea butter, CQ10 which is rich and oily but pure. I have also tried mixing it with other creams which have actives - but I get nervous that I am doing more harm than good. Right now I am just using the matcha, a little water, then the light treatment serum after 20 min. After my led treatment I put on my day cream which contains hyalouric acid, matrixl 3000 and Argireline to name a few. Do you think that is enough to see results. With my device I am suppose to use it daily for a month until I see the results I want to. Sorry for the long post. Thanks for your help.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:17 am      Reply with quote
Lynn,
I am reposting Kelilu's post containing a response via email from Steve at Light Stim, I think it will chase away any worries:

DM

Keliu
VIP Member

I emailed Steve at Lightstim and asked him which occlusive ingredients in serums and creams we should steer away from and also how long we should wait before commencing treatment. Here is his reply:

Thanks for your questions. Stay away from Retin-A or products with Retin-A in them. Other than that, we have not heard of any problems. As far as serums and creams before using your Light: This almost always enhances the benefits and results. The important thing is to make sure that you have worked the product INTO the skin and that there is not moist residue on the surface of the skin. Then, as long as it's dry you can start. Waiting 10 minutes is long enough to insure penetration and dryness in most cases.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to use us as a sounding board whenever you have questions.

Best wishes, Steve

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Lynn,
I am reposting Kelilu's post containing a response via email from Steve at Light Stim, I think it will chase away any worries:

DM

Keliu
VIP Member

I emailed Steve at Lightstim and asked him which occlusive ingredients in serums and creams we should steer away from and also how long we should wait before commencing treatment. Here is his reply:

Thanks for your questions. Stay away from Retin-A or products with Retin-A in them. Other than that, we have not heard of any problems. As far as serums and creams before using your Light: This almost always enhances the benefits and results. The important thing is to make sure that you have worked the product INTO the skin and that there is not moist residue on the surface of the skin. Then, as long as it's dry you can start. Waiting 10 minutes is long enough to insure penetration and dryness in most cases.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to use us as a sounding board whenever you have questions.

Best wishes, Steve

What a relief. I have been shying away from my LED because my skin gets so dry. Cleansing my skin, waiting 20 minutes with no moisture added and then doing the LED is way too drying for me. If I can use a serum before use, that will be much better.

Thank you for posting, Dark Moon.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Lynn,

DM

Keliu
VIP Member

Best wishes, Steve

Does that mean that we have to completely avoid Retin A products or just avoid them prior to using the LED? Would it be okay to use Retin A at night and the Green Tea Serum with LED in the day?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
breezy,

That seems to be Steve's recommendation, Retin A as well as any retinol containing products are the only products he mentioned that should not used prior to the use of LED, I corrected his wording as Retin A is a specific product where retinols can be found in OTC products like ROC ect. and generic brands, many members buy from over seas pharmacies.
I hope that clears it up!

DM

breezy42 wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
Lynn,

DM

Keliu
VIP Member

Best wishes, Steve

Does that mean that we have to completely avoid Retin A products or just avoid them prior to using the LED? Would it be okay to use Retin A at night and the Green Tea Serum with LED in the day?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
breezy42 wrote:

I took it to mean not to use Retin-A prior to treatment. That would make sense because Retin-A is supposed to increase the skin's sensitivity to light. I apply it after my AALS treatment.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
breezy42 wrote:

I took it to mean not to use Retin-A prior to treatment. That would make sense because Retin-A is supposed to increase the skin's sensitivity to light. I apply it after my AALS treatment.

LOL I took it to mean Retin-A or other prescription retinoids in a pre-treament. I agree with Keliu; using them after your LED treatment or in the evening (if you use your LED in the morning or during the day time) would be perfectly fine.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
LMAO I took it to mean Retin A and all prescription strength retinoids or the OTC products prior to LED use should be avoided, I guess I'm just erring on the side of caution!
Funny we all read it differently, just like 10
witnesses to a crime, 10 different recollections of the events!
DM
Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:12 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry,
I should have phrased that better both times! It should not be used as a pre treatment with the LED! As both Lacy and Kelilu pointed out you can still use it after treatment. I didn't intend to cause any confusion!

DM
Embarassed

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much DarkMoon for the post - that is reassuring. It's good to hear that I am not the only one with dry skin too - thanks. I will stay from retinA before (now I just have to make sure my creams don't have a form of it in them. Thanks all, lynnn
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
I took it to mean no retinoids preceeding use of the light.

Can anyone tell me Steve's educational background, etc with regards to skincare, chemistry, and similar things? I think it must be somewhere but I missed it. Thanks.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
I'm getting a little confused here. This is a quote from the original article:

Quote:
Recently the scientists showed that use of high-intensity LEDs, similar to those used in automotive tail lights and computers, could help reduce skin wrinkles when applied daily for several months. But exposure to intense LED light is also involved in generating high levels of reactive oxygen species as byproducts that can potentially damage cells. To combat that effect, the researchers combined the LED with a potent antioxidant in green tea extract called epigallocatechin gallate.

I thought the whole point of using green tea is to protect our skin cells from exposure to LED light. Would using anything else prior to treatment protect the cells? We're not using the LED for product penetration, right?
breezy42
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone, for clarifying the question of when to use Retin A. I will not use it prior to LED (I haven't actually started yet, but DH got me one for XMas, so I'm very excited). Has anyone experimented and found that they like or have seen better results with one thing or another (Kassy's serum, plain green or white tea brewed and applied, green tea extract, Nanci's green tea serum)? Thanks! Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
The Green tea does help through antioxidant action, I think the point was that with the exception of Retin A ect. any serum or moisturizer is fine to combat dryness when using the LED. He recommended a 10 minute wait time after application and prior to treatment with the LED.
This came up due to a discussion of occlusive agents possibly being in the products that are being made for use specifically as a pre-treatment prior to LED use.

HTH
DM

Skippie wrote:
I'm getting a little confused here. This is a quote from the original article:

Quote:
Recently the scientists showed that use of high-intensity LEDs, similar to those used in automotive tail lights and computers, could help reduce skin wrinkles when applied daily for several months. But exposure to intense LED light is also involved in generating high levels of reactive oxygen species as byproducts that can potentially damage cells. To combat that effect, the researchers combined the LED with a potent antioxidant in green tea extract called epigallocatechin gallate.

I thought the whole point of using green tea is to protect our skin cells from exposure to LED light. Would using anything else prior to treatment protect the cells? We're not using the LED for product penetration, right?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie,
I think what you want to look at here in the last sentance is where it says To combat that....
That is why they produced a serum with Green Tea antioxidants, to combat pro-oxidation or damage caused by using the LED!
That is my take on what is being said, just my opinion! I am guessing here but I think other appropriate antioxidents could be effective as well.

HTH
DM

But exposure to intense LED light is also involved in generating high levels of reactive oxygen species as byproducts that can potentially damage cells. To combat that effect, the researchers combined the LED with a potent antioxidant in green tea extract called epigallocatechin gallate.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Skippie,
I think what you want to look at here in the last sentance is where it says To combat that....
That is why they produced a serum with Green Tea antioxidants, to combat pro-oxidation or damage caused by using the LED!

Yes, that is my take, as well that the green tea is used to combat the pro-oxidation from the LED's.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
Skippie,

Yes, that is my take, as well that the green tea is used to combat the pro-oxidation from the LED's.

LOL Thanks Riley!
After all the Retin A confusion I seemed to have contributed to I'm glad this seemed to be clear to you as well! Hope it is for everyone!

DM
Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:56 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, DM. I think I'll stick with pure green/white tea prior to treatment. I don't really know why I wanted to try something else anyway, since that's been working for me. I just get side-tracked really easily. Sometimes I think I ought to change my name to Mikey - it's obvious I'll try anything. Rolling Eyes
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:18 am      Reply with quote
Skippie,

I hear you on that one all too well, you are not alone! LOL

DM

Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:11 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |