Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

B5 Treatment for Acne
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Skitahoe
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:37 pm      Reply with quote
An esthetician told me that B5 really helps prevent and stop acne. She said that people with acne suffer from low levels of Coenzyme A. Coenzyme A if produced in the body. Low levels of Coenzyme A cause acne: excess oil and clogged pores. Supplementing with a high amount of B5 (especially because you excrete it out) helps to actually shrink the pores and reduce the oil. The skin becomes fine and less oily. You are to take 20 500 mg of B5 every day for 2 months, then you take 10 500 mg B5, then you maintain every day with 5 500 mg. I am on the maintaining route of 5 a day as I started the program in mid-March.

I can't really say if I see results or not. I do believe it raises your metabolism (especially if you take it late at night).

You divide the doses (except the 5 500 mg pill part) between morning and night.

Please let us know if any of y'all have tried this and if it worked!
Songbird
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:14 am      Reply with quote
Skitahoe,

I tried this well over a year ago for approx. 3-4 mos. and for me personally I feel it was a waste of time and money. I saw absolutely no results. I know some people are claiming wonderful results with the B5, but for me it didn't work. Plus, I'm not sure what the long term side effects would be staying on such high doses.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:27 am      Reply with quote
I did this about 5-6 years ago and it did work. I did lots of research before deciding on trying it. IMO 5,000mg a day is not enough, you need higher doses when you first start out. Usually 10,000 is recommended but for me I found that 8,000 worked well. I also had major purging when I started. I forget the exact protocol but I think I did 8,000 for 3 or 4 months and then slowly started cutting down on the amount. Eventually I ended up with 2,000 a day for maintenance. Again, please keep in mind this is what worked for me and I encourage you to do lots of research.

If you are going to use this I would get powder. It taste horrible but its alot easier then taking so many pills. I mixed it with a small amount of orange juice which helps cut the taste. There are a few companies that sell powder promoting it for acne, if you google I'm sure some will come up. I forget the name of the company that I bought mine from.

This really did work for me. I really believe the key is higher doses when you start out and then slowly cutting back till you find the right dose.

Anyway, I got lazy and stopped a while ago and of course I have acne again. I had actually forgotten about B5, I think I will look into it again.
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
I did 8,000 for one month, then took a break for another month. 5,000 is not enough.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
I know some people take B complex and zinc as acne supplements, and I hear a lot of positive feedback. I myself tried these days, one month, I think. I feel less oily till now.
catsull
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
I did some reading on this as well. My skin was so oily this summer I couldn't deal with it. I read that combining the B5 with L-Carnitine allowed you to you smaller doses of the B5 because of the synergy between the two. I've been taking just under 1000 mg of B5 combined with about 800 mg of Acetyl L-Carnitine, broken into two doses. I think it's really helped the overall oiliness of my skin & I'm having fewer breakouts.

Just my experience. Those wanting to try this may want to do some research on combining it with L-Carnitine.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:12 am      Reply with quote
I’ve just learned that some adult acne sufferers on acne.org take 500mg of no-flush niacin (vitamin B3) a day to prevent and stop acne. Some of them report on great success with this dose.
You can find the reports in the adult acne section of the acne.org forum.

Remember that taking one of the B vitamins in isolated form, whether it be B3, B5 or B6, over a longer period of time can create a deficiency of the other B vitamins in your system. So always take a vitamin B complex supplement together with the isolated form of the vitamin B you are taking.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:28 am      Reply with quote
Hey Jimm, yes it is pantothenic acid (B5) that can cause a deficiency....I wrote a post on taking this to shrink pores, but it went with no responses since last I checked.

Also on acne.com some people were mentioning megadosing b vitamins can go right through a good period (when you're deficient) and right out the other side if the dose isn't dropped, spiraling the skin back into poor health due to an excess. Scary Confused

I'm definitely going to try b5 soon and see what it does for my pores. I seem to remember reading this is the only thing that can actually SHRINK pores other than accutane ...maybe someone can clarify.
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
I'm another one that tried this with little to no results. Sorry

Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |