Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sodium Lauryl Suflate = cheap detergent
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
BellaKai
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:40 pm      Reply with quote
So basically this stuff is like a cheap detergenet put in hundreds of cleansers and shampoos. It's what makes them lather and get sudsy. I'm sure this won't even be news to tons of you.

I didn't realize until recently just how many products contain this! It is the second ingredient listed on my shampoo that is a professional product purchased in salons (BioSilk). I looked it up and SLS will make your hair frizzy, look drab, and can strip your hair and make it so that your hair color won't last as long.

I'm going to be purchasing shampoos without this in it now...I know that I won't be able to expect as much lather, but that's okay with me.

I noticed Cetaphil also contains some SLS. Sad
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
Most brands use it for shampoos, face, wash, body wash ect. ect. This is one of many reasons to go organic! I have read that it gives off formaldehyde once you mix with water and air, that is a bit too much preservation for me.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:46 am      Reply with quote
I was careful to avoid SLS in the shampoo I got (Faith in Nature) but that has ammonium laureth sulphate from a vegetable origin. I looked up what this was and found: http://www.salonweb.com/pro/shampoo.htm

[quote]Look at the label!!! Here is a guide to how gentle your shampoo is according to the surfactant used:
Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate - very, very, harsh
Ammonium Laureth Sulfate- very harsh but better than the above
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate- better than the above, but still a little harsh
Sodium Laureth Sulfate-gentle, great pick!
TEA lauryl Sulfate-good pick
TEA Laureth Sulfate-good pick [/quote]

The quoted worried me a bit - does this mean that the shampoo I now have is harsher than the previous SLS one I had?? I'll need to figure out a bit more re the chemistry of shampoo ingredients.

In the meantime does anyone recommend a shampoo and cond w/out any of the above?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:59 am      Reply with quote
I use pure Castile soaps they make your feel stripped but the secret here is a really good organic conditioner. Most regular shampoos actually leave more stuff on your hair than what they do clean off. Even regular baby shampoo is really harsh, when I worked as a stylest we used it to help lighten overly dark dye jobs!!!

HTH

Dr Bronners has many scents and it is pure Castile soap natural oils and essential oils for the scent.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:55 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |