Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Do you drink sugary drinks?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
BellaKai
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:48 pm      Reply with quote
I am trying to get to the point where I drink only water and it's so hard!

I used to love Coca Cola but I finally kicked the habit. I don't drink sodas anymore.

I've tried mixing a bit of carbonated water with a splash of juice in it or a splash of vitamin water...but that doesn't taste that great to me.

It's like I need that sugary kick/flavor to feel satisifed and I hate that I feel like I need this. I don't drink coffee and I'm feeling as though maybe I need to start adding some kind of caffeine because it's really hard to get going in the morning lately..maybe this is a sign of age? Sad

Just curious to know what you ladies like to drink every day and if you drink only water, how do you stay satisfied with that??
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
Water... often with a Fizz Tab, or an emergen-C, sparkling water with the juice of 1/2 Lemon, or lime... Oh, and Ice tea, with lemon no sugar.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:23 am      Reply with quote
I'm lucky as my parents never allowed me to drink Coke/sodas as a child (or eat candy), so never developed a sweet tooth.

I drink a LOT of water every day, one or two cups of coffee, and try to get a green tea in as well. If I have time to treat myself with other than plain water, I love ice water with a slice of lemon or lime and maybe a sprig of fresh mint (basil is nice too). Also love green tea with ice and a sprig of mint.

Congrats Bella on kicking the Coke habit! Smile I do believe it is possible to retrain your taste buds (easy for me to say as I was forced into anti-sugar mode as a kid). But if you're accustomed to sweet drinks, maybe try iced lemongrass or green tea, with a dash of sugar syrup, and gradually cut back on the sugar? Even if you don't cut back on the sugar, it's still better than the chemicals in canned sodas. At least you know what you're drinking...
Justine1900
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
I drink black tea all day long. There is now research that shows that the liquid in tea can be considered part of your daily liquid consumption like water.

I would never drink sugary drinks because of the risk to my teeth as well as the kilojoules.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hello BellaKai,
First of all... congratulations for kicking the soda habit!

I was never into sodas much but at some point I was starting to drink too much juice and was craving the sugar, etc.

So what worked for me was... just religiously having at least a cup of water per hour. I would sort of "force" myself to drink it at the beginning. Since I was ingesting abundant water, then I didn't feel thirsty throughout the day and I didn't feel the craving for sweet drinks. So my suggestion would be not to wait to be thirsty. Have water every hour almost as if it were a medicine... it gets better after a month Smile

You say you feel like you need some kind of caffeine to "get going"... what do you eat for breakfast? In general, a breakfast with milk, cereal and fruits should provide you with more than enough glucose to get going.

Finally... I used to be a sugar addict. I could eat a huge plate of anything, but if it didn't have sugar/flour/carbs, my body would rebel and tell me... "I need something else!" (i.e. carbs!). It was weird... if I ate a huge meal with no carbs I could feel my stomach "tense" from all the food I had eaten but I still felt "hungry".

I ended up cutting my carb intake drastically. No more bread, sweets, pasta, rice... nothing! For 2-3 weeks it was torture! I felt horrible, always hungry, I had strong migraines, etc, etc.
But... after those 2-3 weeks... my life changed! I could not believe how light and full of energy I felt. I hadn't felt that good in ages. And I stopped craving sugar and carbs.

Now I do eat carbs like brown/wild rice, or whole grains, but I really try to avoid breads, pastries, sweets, etc. If I start eating them... it's like my body starts craving it again and going crazy. I guess my body is very inclined to get addicted to carbs and I don't want to go back.

So I guess my second suggestion would be to see if you can cut your carb intake.. you'll feel full of energy!

All the best,
Josee

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:57 am      Reply with quote
Just remember that sugar causes glycation, which causes WRINKLES (it's how I weaned myself off sugary everything in a hurry Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:30 am      Reply with quote
I was like you soda addict. I switched to green tea mostly (besides water) if you need the fizz you can brew it double stregnth and add carbonated water after it cools. I find many brands of carbonated water with no salt added. I live in a hot climate so I do not tend to drink anything hot except my one cup of coffee in the am. It is great you are giving it up, just don't beat yourself up if it is a once in a great while treat.
I know during four pregnancies it nearly drove me nuts having to quit coffee and soda but I managed. Baby of the bunch will be 20 soon!

Hang in there and best of luck..... you can do it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:43 am      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
Water... often with a Fizz Tab, or an emergen-C, sparkling water with the juice of 1/2 Lemon, or lime... Oh, and Ice tea, with lemon no sugar.

Claudia, what's a Fizz Tab?

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
Josee, that sounds like exactly how I felt giving up gluten! It's even possible you have a gluten intolerance. I feel the exact way you described feeling after quitting carbs (which must have included wheat/gluten products).

I still ate a little carbs, but obviously far far less, as wheat is in almost everything other than what you prepare at home, where I mostly stick to veges, fruit and lean protein, good fats.

I too am a changed woman. I used to crave food relentlessly. Now, never. I eat about 1/8th of the food I used to, as I was always feeling ravenous!

Great about the soda quittin' ! Keep it up Very Happy
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
Fizz Tab... I get these tabs from Arbonne, part of their "figure 8" line, but I've seen something similar at the store... They are flavored, and have some vitamins in them. They recommend 1 full tab for an 8oz glass of water.. Which to me is too sweet, and you'd BLOW through them. I use 1/2 tab in my 27oz water bottle... I get the pomegranate splash... It just adds a little flavor to your water... which seems to make me pick up my bottle over and over 'till it's empty. I don't mind drinking straight water... I just tend to do a better job at consumption when it's a little flavored... Say with just lemon juice...

5% products discount

Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:37 pm      Reply with quote
I used to drink SYZMO its an certified organic energy drink sweetened with Blue Agave Nectar, but i think its been discontinued. Crying or Very sad
michxly
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
Omigosh- tim horton's french vanilla capp's can get addicting. You know you're in trouble when you start to crave sweets constantly and look forward to dessert when you eat your meal! I need to start cutting my sugar intake and force myself to drink more water like mentioned above. I rarely reach for my water bottle anymore and these dangerous habits will catch up to me later.
maiea
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:48 pm      Reply with quote
I kicked my 1-2 cans of coke habit about 2 years ago and lost about 40lbs. If's that's not a good enough reason to stop drinking sugary drinks for me, I don't know what is. XD

It was hard at the beginning, but now I do pretty much only drink water or green tea.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
Never. Plain water all day at work, coffee for breakfast, tea for supper.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
I'm loving Stevia for sweetening my cold drinks, (thanks Toby!), but hate it in hot beverages.

Haven't been able to kick the spoonful of sugar in my coffee twice a day, and I do have an occassional Pepsi. For me moderation in everything is key, and so far, so good.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
newbiely
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:28 am      Reply with quote
Sometimes in dinner. Ordinarily just plain water or tea all day
miss mei
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:45 am      Reply with quote
Fizzy drinks contribute to osteoporosis so I'm glad that I don't really drink them. I'm only 25 but at the same time I know that maintaining my bone density is going to be much easier and better for me than trying to replace is once it's gone. The phosphrous in the fizzy drinks displace the calcium in bone therefore making it more brittle. Not to mention you get much more than your daily intake of sugar in one drink. I reckon that if you want something sweet, maybe just have one square of dark chocolate.
LondonLucyGeorge
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:57 am      Reply with quote
Sorry Miss Mei - There is no substantial proven science behind our comments about fizzy drinks at all. Just like those old rumours about diet coke being used to clean aeroplane engines (and I know that as my brother and father worked for BA) and they laughed when I told them that story. I've spoken to doctors and they say its nothing but a scare tactic. Sure surgar in drinks is one thing, but trying to say it contributes to osteoporosis is quite another!

miss mei wrote:
Fizzy drinks contribute to osteoporosis so I'm glad that I don't really drink them. I'm only 25 but at the same time I know that maintaining my bone density is going to be much easier and better for me than trying to replace is once it's gone. The phosphrous in the fizzy drinks displace the calcium in bone therefore making it more brittle. Not to mention you get much more than your daily intake of sugar in one drink. I reckon that if you want something sweet, maybe just have one square of dark chocolate.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:05 am      Reply with quote
LondonLucyGeorge wrote:
Sorry Miss Mei - There is no substantial proven science behind our comments about fizzy drinks at all.

miss mei wrote:
Fizzy drinks contribute to osteoporosis so I'm glad that I don't really drink them. .

Here's a study on the link between carbonated beverages and low bone density (which leads to osteoporosis.)

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/84/4/936

This article is interesting, and elaborates a bit on the protocol used in the study; (Diet Coke was the choice of many in the study!)

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Endocrinology/Osteoporosis/4247

ETA: Google "carbonated drinks + bone loss" for much more info.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:19 am      Reply with quote
The only carbonated drink that I see linked in the study to bone density loss is cola. They state more research is needed to confirm these findings!

Conclusions: Intake of cola, but not of other carbonated soft drinks, is associated with low BMD in women. Additional research is needed to confirm these findings.

LondonLucyGeorge wrote:
Sorry Miss Mei - There is no substantial proven science behind our comments about fizzy drinks at all. Just like those old rumours about diet coke being used to clean aeroplane engines (and I know that as my brother and father worked for BA) and they laughed when I told them that story. I've spoken to doctors and they say its nothing but a scare tactic. Sure surgar in drinks is one thing, but trying to say it contributes to osteoporosis is quite another!

miss mei wrote:

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:06 am      Reply with quote
Also from the second link the following:

Non-cola carbonated-beverage intake did not decrease BMD in either men or women, the researchers reported.

However, cola intake had a significant effect on BMD. Cola drinks were associated with significantly lower (P<0.001-0.05) bone mineral density at each hip site, but not the spine, in women but not in men, the researchers reported.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:51 am      Reply with quote
I gave up sugary drinks in my mid twenties, but I'll occasionally have a coke (twice a year maybe, since I don't like to be fanatic about anything.
Since cutting all sugar from my diet on daily basis my blood sugar is stable and my energy level much better, it was really a big difference for me
usually I drink water, but if I really crave a sugary drink I'll mix some carbonated water with a splash of apple juice, delicious!
lobo

Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
I used to drink lots of orange juice, but now I drink only water and sometimes fat free milk, much better!
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:32 am      Reply with quote
Just saw this article "Soft Drinks Could Boost Pancreatic Cancer Risk":

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/healthday/635774.html

BTW, the article points out the deficiencies in the study.

I gave up carbonated drinks a long time ago and it was the best thing I've ever done for myself.
Moonface001
5% products discount

Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:23 am      Reply with quote
Just think about the savings. Not just saving your health but saving money. More to spend on skin care Laughing .

Seriously tho maybe a slow approch is best. Cut a little every second week and in a few months you will be free forever. You could be addicted in a way to the way that the caffein and sugar hit makes you feel. Eat more fruit for natural sugars. If you feel like a soft drink then drink water first, work thru the feeling and don't be too hard on your self if you have a sip. It's better to have half a glass and then stop then feel like you want it so much and drink 2 cans in a day.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:02 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |