Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
White tea vs. Green tea
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:25 am      Reply with quote
As I sit here drinking a cup of Starbucks berryblossom white tea, it occurred to me that I had heard that white tea is even better for you than green tea. So, I started looking for some proof and found some interesting information.

Quote:
studies have shown that the young, white tea leaves retain antioxidants in higher concentrations than green tea does. Studies have shown that white tea has a concentration of antioxidants that is three times higher than in green tea. Essentially, white tea contains the same concentrations of antioxidants as the young and fresh tea leaf buds that are still attached to the bush. This makes white tea the tea with the highest antioxidant content, which for many is the main reason for drinking white tea. For comparison, one cup of white tea contains approximately twelve (12) times as much antioxidants as fresh orange juice.

http://healthnewsreport.blogspot.com/2009/07/white-tea-vs-green-tea.html

Quote:
Nine of the major constituents found in green tea also were detected in white tea, including high levels of epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) and several other polyphenols. When these major constituents were mixed to produce "artificial" teas, according to their relative levels in white and green teas, the complete tea exhibited higher antimutagenic potency compared with the corresponding artificial tea. The results suggest that the greater inhibitory potency of white versus green tea in the Salmonella assay might be related to the relative levels of the nine major constituents, perhaps acting synergistically with other (minor) constituents, to inhibit mutagen activation as well as "scavenging" the reactive intermediate(s).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11448643

So, what do you think? Would it be better to use white tea with our LEDs?
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:28 am      Reply with quote
Here's another study:

Quote:
Owing to their roles in tissue remodelling in health and disease, several studies have reported investigations on plant extracts as inhibitors of proteinases and as anti-oxidants. METHODS: The anti-ageing and anti-oxidant properties of 23 plant extracts (from 21 plant species) were assessed as anti-elastase and anti-collagenase activities and in selected anti-oxidant assays along with phenolic content. RESULTS: Anti-elastase activities were observed for nine of the extracts with inhibitory activity in the following order: white tea (approximately 89%), cleavers (approximately 58%), burdock root (approximately 51%), bladderwrack (approximately 50%), anise and angelica (approximately 32%). Anti-collagenase activities were exhibited by sixteen plants of which the highest activity was seen in white tea (approximately 87%), green tea (approximately 47%), rose tincture (approximately 41%), and lavender (approximately 31%). Nine plant extracts had activities against both elastase (E) and collagenase (C) and were ranked in the order of white tea (E:89%, C:87%) > bladderwrack (E:50%, C:25%) > cleavers (E:58%, C:7%) > rose tincture (E:22%, C:41%) > green tea (E:10%: C:47%) > rose aqueous (E: 24%, C:26%) > angelica (E:32%, C:17%) > anise (E:32%, C:6%) > pomegranate (E:15%, C:11%).Total phenolic content varied between 0.05 and 0.26 mg gallic acid equivalents (GAE)/mL with the exception of white tea (0.77 mg GAE/mL). For anti-oxidant assessment, the Trolox equivalent anti-oxidant capacity (TEAC) assay revealed activity for all extracts. White tea had the highest activity equivalent to approximately 21 microM Trolox for a 6.25 microg aliquot. In addition, seven extracts exhibited activities = 10 microM Trolox with witch hazel (6.25 microg = 13 microM Trolox) and rose aqueous (6.25 microg = 10 microM Trolox) showing very high activities at low concentrations. A high activity for white tea was also found in the superoxide dismutase (SOD) assay in which it exhibited ~88% inhibition of reduction of nitroblue tetrazolium. High activities were also observed for green tea (86.41%), rose tincture (82.77%), witch hazel (82.05%) and rose aqueous (73.86%). CONCLUSION: From a panel of twenty three plant extracts, some one dozen exhibit high or satisfactory anti-collagenase or anti-elastase activities, with nine having inhibitory activity against both enzymes. These included white tea which was found to have very high phenolic content, along with high TEAC and SOD activities.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19653897?ordinalpos=6&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum
Elvisshops
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:17 am      Reply with quote
I drink white tea, too. It is less bitter than green. I have long suspected white tea to be superior to green tea and wondered why only Origins touted white tea (as opposed to green) products.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
It is surprising, Elvisshops, that more companies haven't jumped on this bandwagon. I may try one side of my neck with green tea and one side with white tea to see if there's a difference.
carmina
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
I know other brands useing white tea in their products. They just don't advertise with it...Maybe there are other reasons, such as white tea are not grown evreywhere...
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:54 am      Reply with quote
Carmina,

Could you please tell me which other brands use white tea?

Thanks.
TTD
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:25 am      Reply with quote
I want to drink white tea too but whereas I know types of green tea leaves eg Bancha, Genmaicha I do not know any types of white tea leaves. Seems less inf out there on it too. Does anybody know a type of leaf to aim for in white tea leaves?
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:29 am      Reply with quote
TTD,

I just ordered Shu Mee White Tea Extract fromwww.HappyHerbalist.com. If you click on Tea-Organic and Premium, they have two kinds, Shu Mee and Silver Needle and do a good job of explaining the differences. I was specifically looking for an extract which is why I ordered from this site.
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:48 am      Reply with quote
I am a huge fan of green tea and have been drinking it for years (after my mother in law(japanese) told me all about its anti cancer power)but when my friend came back from hong kong with a bunch of white tea for me I decided to give that a try ...I had heard all about how white tea was great too so...
anyway a few weeks later I started to feel horrible and seemed to catch one thing after another..Now that could have just been coincidence but when I resumed my pot of green tea every morning I felt so much better.
I love having a cup of white tea here and there but will never give up my green tea. Plus I am addicted to its flavour now.
yum!
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:53 am      Reply with quote
Let us know how you like the white tea extract Skippie when you receive it...I have been drinking white and green teas for some time now and as Elvisshops already mentioned, I've noticed that white tea has a "smoother" taste than green and I quite enjoy it more than the latter.
How do you plan on using the extract Skippie? I never really thought of purchasing the extract, sounds interesting.

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
Songbird
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:01 am      Reply with quote
annachan wrote:
I am a huge fan of green tea and have been drinking it for years (after my mother in law(japanese) told me all about its anti cancer power)but when my friend came back from hong kong with a bunch of white tea for me I decided to give that a try ...I had heard all about how white tea was great too so...
anyway a few weeks later I started to feel horrible and seemed to catch one thing after another..Now that could have just been coincidence but when I resumed my pot of green tea every morning I felt so much better.

annachan,

Since the white tea is supposed to be such a powerful antioxidant, I wonder if you weren't experiencing some detox effects when you felt so bad?? I've seen some friends get very sick while detoxing. Maybe something to consider.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:20 am      Reply with quote
maybe but I dont think so...as I said I drink A LOT of green tea (organic loose leaf) every day so how toxic could I have been?...I am sticking to it...I know white tea is good for you so are a lot of herbal teas (which I drink too) but if it comes to green or white I will stick to my green.
And now I love the taste ....I also try and drink oolong at least a few times a week though should try for every day after eating as it does work wonders for cutting fat .
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:45 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
How do you plan on using the extract Skippie?

I'm going to try it on my neck before using the Warp 10 (an LED I just ordered). I'm going to try half my neck with green tea and half with white tea.

For anyone who loves tea in general, the Berryblossom White from Starbucks is delicious. It's flavored with blueberry and white cranberry. I buy a box of it and make tea at work.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:32 am      Reply with quote
I still haven't received the Shu Mee White Tea Extract fromwww.HappyHerbalist.com. I ordered it on Sept. 17th. I'm not happy. Mad
leathal
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:08 am      Reply with quote
What are you using now? You have gotten great results with what you are using.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:59 am      Reply with quote
Currently, I'm using white tea bags that were cheap from wherever I bought them. I ordered them from some internet site awhile back, so I don't remember exactly where. I just brew one bag in some distilled water for five minutes.
leathal
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:11 am      Reply with quote
I am going to try the white tea also. I should have my LightStim by the weekend. Need to add it to my grocery list.
TTD
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 05, 2010 2:07 am      Reply with quote
Skippie: any update on how you got on w this? If you had positive results, please let me know how you did it/ method
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 05, 2010 7:09 am      Reply with quote
For what it's worth White Tea and Green Tea are from the exact same plant the White Tea is picked while the buds are still closed and the Green Tea is picked right after. Basically White is just a bit younger when picked. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 05, 2010 10:09 am      Reply with quote
White Tea vs. Green Tea

The main difference between the two types of tea is that the white tea leaves are harvested at a younger age than the green tea leaves (same plant.) They both undergo very little processing. White tea is not fermented at all, while green tea is partly fermented.

However, studies have shown that the young, white tea leaves retain antioxidants in higher concentrations than green tea does. Studies have shown that white tea has a concentration of antioxidants that is three times higher than in green tea.

Also, white tea contains less caffeine than green tea, about 15 mg per serving compared to the 20 mg for green tea.

Here's a nice research article on the skin benefits;

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6882/9/27

Skippie, try your hand at a green + white tea spritz... It's fabulous to spritz throughout the day, keeping the free radicals from UV exposure at bay! (You can easily mix fresh tea with extract also.)

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 05, 2010 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
Suprised by this as I honestly thought Green Tea isn't fermented at all either, this link says only oolong is and others mention that fermentation begins the moment the leaves are picked. Boy the subject of Green and White Teas has been quite confusing for some time. hmm

First of all, what is green tea? Just like black tea, it comes from the Camellia sinensis plant. Black tea is fermented and green tea is not (oolong tea is partly fermented). Green tea is very popular in China and Japan and is gaining favour in other nations too. They have been drinking green tea for health reasons for over 5,000 years in Asia.

http://www.tenren.com/fermentation.html

http://www.o-cha.com/health.htm

http://coffeetea.about.com/library/weekly/aa100501a.htm
Some of the various chemical compounds in green tea:

5% products discount

Thu May 06, 2010 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
This is interesting. I never thought there was white tea.. Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 06, 2010 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
ishay wrote:
This is interesting. I never thought there was white tea.. Smile

LOL Yeah same plant just the youngest leaves, regular black tea, green tea and white are all from the same plant. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 06, 2010 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
I drink Japanese or Chinese green tea for more than 10 years, and I drink 6-7 cups a day because I don't like drinking water. I have started visiting a Chinese herbalist 2 months ago, because of the following symptoms:

1. Sweating feet (sweat too much and cold feet in April)
2. Swollen tongue with teeth-mark on the sides
3. Wake-up in the mid-night and hardly fall asleep again
4. Stool (never in banana shape, it has been a year, I thought it is very common)

Dr. said I am too damp and spleen is not working very well (very easy to tell from the tongue), and the biggest mistake that I have made was drinking too much green tea. it is too sad for me to quit drinking green tea, even when I was drinking the herbal medicine, I still drink 1 cup a day, but I have totally quit drinking since last week. Green tea is too cold for the body. So, what am I drinking this week? few slices of fresh ginger + 7 red dates + 7 dried dragon eyes. It taste very good!

Disclaimer : the above is just apply to my case, not referring to everyone. I still miss my green tea though!
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
White tea has become my latest beauty must-have. It inhibits MMP which breaks down our elastin. I drink white tea matcha and am using Chanels La Solution 10 which has quite a high concentration. Anyone else loving white tea in 2016?

Curent Regime: Cosmetic Skin Solutions CE Ferulic and Phloretin/ Revale Intensive Serum / NIA 24 Intensive Recovery Complex cream / Jojoba and Squalane oils / Avene Emulsion SPF 50 & Prevage City Smart SPF 50 / Skinceuticals Retinol 1.0/ Dermaroller / Facial exercises
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:47 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |