Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
question about chemical peels
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mex0050
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
I want to do a chemical peel at home. I am on retin a right now if that matters. The problems I want to improve are fine wrinkles and some pigmentation problems like old acne scars (mostly coloration scars, not so much textured) and very light sun damage coloration, the tiniest bit of melasma. I have some overall texture issues...pores showing on my cheeks around my nose is probably the worst...but also visible pores filled with junk on my nose, and more scattered here and there, gunk in them that retin a doesn't seem to get out, they look enlarged...gunk is really in there. Years of picking. I could pick all day and not get it out. When I do get any out, it fills back up immediately. I have done the crushed aspirin mask and it doesn't seem to help me. Basically I have every skin common problem imaginable, but none of them are bad...collectively they all have the overall effect of bad skin, a little bit of every problem. I think from my reading a TCA might help me, and I would love to do a medium peel...but I cannot afford more than 5 days off work, and I can't work with any kind of bad peeling. I could afford a sunday through a thursday at most. The peel I think would help me a lot would be probably a good 10 days off work. I could cover with makeup, but snakeskin is not an option. Flaking is pushing it. I want to do something asap about this. What are my options...a high strength glycolic? I do not have an issue with having to repeat a peel over and over, as long as it gets the job done. Would numerous light peels have the same effect as a medium strength peel...or do they just effect the same layer of skin and never quite get the same results?

Here is a pic....
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/Mex0050/lindsayeds.jpg
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
I would try some less aggressive options first to see if you can deal with some of your skin's issues without the big guns of TCA peels and their side effects. So, have you thought about combining a BHA lotion with a physical exfoliation for the nose pore issues? BHA should help loosen the plugs, and manual exfoliation sweep them away. Lots of people have had good luck with microfiber facecloths--PSF makes some very cheap ones available online at EDS, and there are others as well. Another physical exfoliator that has gotten good reviews here is Epidermx--a slightly abrasive cream, also available here on EDS. Then of course there's the Clarisonic for those of deep pocketbooks. Again, you can order it here.

As for the hyperpigmentation, you can try adding vitamin C serum and or whitening agents like kojic acid or mulberrry extract products or the gold standard for hyperpigmentation--hydroquinone, which is controversial but which many people swear by.

A board search on any of these may help you decide if you want to give them a try. Then, if all else fails, you can give a deep TCA peel a try. I have never done so myself, but my impression is that a deep peel is not simply the equivalent of several shallower peels--it is quite different in effect. (But then again, as you noted, there is the downtime associated with a deep peel, too.)

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
Eek. Your skin is pretty nice. For fading those hyper-pigmentation marks and (tiny) blackheads you might want to try a C serum and an LED or I can suggest Alpha Beta Peel by MD Skincare for pigmentation and pore size. Take good care of your skin - it's quite nice and you don't want to destroy it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
I would suggest doing a Lactic Acid peel. Lactic Acid is very good for the skin. I use the 65% from Makeup Artists Choice. It's very easy to do. Just be careful though - don't leave it on for too long because of the fact that you're using Retin A.

Before you try that though, why don't you have a series of microdermabrasions. I also suffer from congested pores, lumps and bumps. Microdermabrasion can do wonders in cleaning out the pores. I was so impressed with my treatment that I've ordered a home microdermabrasion machine so I can vacuum away to my hearts content!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:06 am      Reply with quote
Would suggest spot treating the clogged pores area with BHA peel (I've used 8%, its stings alot)and then all over lactic peel (get the least % to start).

I've purchased both of these from MakeupArtists Choice. Definitely go very slow and listen to your skin. Results will be cumulative.

I would stop retin-a atleast they day before you do the peel, 3 days is really ideal.
mex0050
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for the compliment callalily! And thanks to all of you for the great information. I feel confident in what to do now as all of your suggestions basically point in the same direction, which is very nice for me because I am new to skincare and totally confused.

Ok, so gathering all the great info from these comments, it looks like I should try some AHA/BHA combo before trying the TCA and see what I can get accomplished. I'm definitely going to be making a diy c serum soon too.

I do have a couple of questions for anyone who might know:

1. Are the at home dermabrasion kits (eyeing olay/philosophy) even comparable to professional treatments? What about the cloths? I just can't afford $100 microderm treatments at the moment, but if the AHA/BHA peels aren't enough, I will add this before TCA, but I'd like to know if it's worth trying the cheaper options.

2. I'm tempted to buy the 65% lactic acid and the 8% BHA, and dilute it to a lesser strength to begin so I don't have to do a repurchase...I can dilute these with water correct? Also...how many treatments do you get per ounce generally?

You guys are awesome! Thank you so much!

Very Happy
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:53 am      Reply with quote
mex0050 wrote:
1. Are the at home dermabrasion kits (eyeing olay/philosophy) even comparable to professional treatments? What about the cloths? I just can't afford $100 microderm treatments at the moment, but if the AHA/BHA peels aren't enough, I will add this before TCA, but I'd like to know if it's worth trying the cheaper options.

2. I'm tempted to buy the 65% lactic acid and the 8% BHA, and dilute it to a lesser strength to begin so I don't have to do a repurchase...I can dilute these with water correct? Also...how many treatments do you get per ounce generally?

IMO the home microdermabrasion kits aren't nearly as effective as a professional microdermabrasion treatment. But if you are strapped for cash I would do a Lactic Acid peel first - it comes in different strengths so you can start off with a weaker one first. One little bottle of LA will last you absolutely ages and do a large number of peels so it's very economical. After you've done a peel and your skin has recovered, then you could look at using a home dermabrasion kit.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
As far as at home type peels are concerned would this be the level of intensity:

3. Lactic
2. Glycolic
1. TCA

Thanks!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:28 am      Reply with quote
Whatever you do be careful! I suggest going to realself.com. I love looking at the before and after pictures and different peoples advice. I think it's better to be safe then sorry.

http://www.realself.com/Chemical-peel/reviews

You are a real cutie! I don't think you would need to do much to get your skin in optimum shape.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:00 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |