Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

calling all experienced retin-a users
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
LAT
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:29 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

I just started using retin-a 0.05% this past summer and was doing ok up until now (really DRY skin Sad ) I know that the change in weather is a factor and it will only become harder to adjust to the retin-a with the winter months coming on.

Any suggestions out there from retin-a users? Should I drop down to 0.025% or try retin-a micro ($110.00 at inhouse pharmacy Shock ) Wondering if anyone has switched from retin-a to retin-a micro and if they saw a big difference in irritation level, not sure if I should just lessen the number of applications per week or drop down a level just for the winter months. Anyone have experience with this?

I will be ordering niacinamide this week to see if that helps. Also, does anyone know of a good moisturizer, either OTC or DIY that I could use to combat my parched skin? I don't mind one that is oily for night time use but prefer something less greasy for am use.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Smile
Lin
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:44 am      Reply with quote
Lin

I would stick with 0.05% for the moment, although I don't know exactly how long you have been using it, as you say it could be more related to weather changes. Avoid switching to the micro until your really sure your skin can handle it. The micro gel is great but generally from memory it is usually available at 0.1% which is much stronger than the 0.05% your using (unless your lucky to be situated near a derm who can prescribe you it in a weaker strength) but not everyone is able to tolerate the 0.1% straight off.

I used Retin A cream - 0.05% for a year and did have some iritation stages, like peeling and redness but they didn't last long. I didn't switch to the Retin A Micro for about a year - as the cream suited my purposes well up to that point, but I must admit with my oily but sensitive prone skin - the microgel does seem to work wonders for it.

How often are you using it? Ideally for Retin A you work up to using it every other night, but dropping back on the number of applications your doing a week is a good idea, but I would also try using an oil to moisturise the skin, but the trouble is that you have to wait ½ hour after applying the Cream before applying anything on top as it inteferes with product penetration. Nicacinamide I tried a couple of times but found it a little awkward as it didn't desolve and I found it scratchy. Squalene is my favourite oil, as its not heavy or as shiny as emu etc.

Sean
LAT wrote:
Hi,

I just started using retin-a 0.05% this past summer and was doing ok up until now (really DRY skin Sad ) I know that the change in weather is a factor and it will only become harder to adjust to the retin-a with the winter months coming on.

Any suggestions out there from retin-a users? Should I drop down to 0.025% or try retin-a micro ($110.00 at inhouse pharmacy Shock ) Wondering if anyone has switched from retin-a to retin-a micro and if they saw a big difference in irritation level, not sure if I should just lessen the number of applications per week or drop down a level just for the winter months. Anyone have experience with this?

I will be ordering niacinamide this week to see if that helps. Also, does anyone know of a good moisturizer, either OTC or DIY that I could use to combat my parched skin? I don't mind one that is oily for night time use but prefer something less greasy for am use.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Smile
Lin

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:46 am      Reply with quote
LAT I actually stopped using a Rx strength Retin-a and switched to Afirm OTC because my skin was so irritated.

Things to try to help your skin out
1. use a carrier oil such as avocado oil, jojoba etc. on your face for a couple of hrs after work or I like to leave it on over night. You will be shocked at how well it hydrates parched skin.
2. cut back the frequency of the retin-a until you find what your skin can tolerate.
3. I used to use Obagi Action when the irritation from retin-a was really bad but I would think any moisturizer (something without a lot of actives) would also do the trick.
HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
LAT, I bought the Osmosis medi-facial powders niacinamide from Joella Milan. http://www.karinherzog-jmilan.com/Osmosis-Organic-Medifacial-Liposome-Powders_bymfg_42-0-1.html It is a professional product but she was selling it on her website. Osmosis has just introduced consumer medi-facial powder blends and she has just started selling them instead. But, if you call her or send her an email she has said that she will still sell the professional jars, she just can't put them on her website any more because Osmosis does not want her to. The niacinamide is fantastic! It comes in a small jar for $30 and will last a long time, she sends a small scoop to use with it and I use 1/2 scoop to put in my pea size amount of Retin A micro on the nights I use it. It absorbs easily-you can't even tell it's there. It really adds extra moisturization but I still get peeling so I know the Retin A is working as it is supposed to. I'm really happy with this addition to my routine!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
jom, is this the only powder you have used from Osmosis? I just got the Osmosis Boost. I was thinking about getting the ascorbic acid, but I don't have anything I can put it in right now!
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
jom, is this the only powder you have used from Osmosis? I just got the Osmosis Boost. I was thinking about getting the ascorbic acid, but I don't have anything I can put it in right now!

I ordered the Beta Glucan last week, I'm still waiting to get it. I'm really excited about these powders.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, jom. I like the look of the powders, but everything seems to already be in the Boost, so I am not sure if I would benefit from them or not. What are you going to put the Beta Glucan in?
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Thanks, jom. I like the look of the powders, but everything seems to already be in the Boost, so I am not sure if I would benefit from them or not. What are you going to put the Beta Glucan in?

I'm going to put it in either an antioxident serum I use in the morning or my sunscreen. Some days I don't use the serum and just use sunscreen.
LAT
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:05 am      Reply with quote
Hi All

SeanySeanUK: Inhouse pharmacy carries retin-a micro gel 0.04%

Alley: I don't know much about carrier oils, do you use them full strength or added to something?

Jom: How many oz is the jar of niacinamide? I can get 4 oz for $6.65 from lotion crafter, I wonder if it is the same Confused

Thank you all for the advice Smile

in regards to using the niacinamide, I was thinking of using it added to a moisturizer (Keliu's recipe)instead of adding it to the retin-a. I would apply it in the morning and again at night an hour after the retin-a, I think it would still help with irritation using it this way, what do you think?
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:16 am      Reply with quote
LAT I do use the carrier oils full strength. It is essentials oil you have to be very careful with.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:39 am      Reply with quote
Dont change the percentage, just use it less frequently. I use Retin 0.05% once a week in winter and twice a week is summer.

And add fish oil to your diet.
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:05 am      Reply with quote
LAT wrote:
Hi All

Alley: I don't know much about carrier oils, do you use them full strength or added to something?

Jom: How many oz is the jar of niacinamide? I can get 4 oz for $6.65 from lotion crafter, I wonder if it is the same Confused

in regards to using the niacinamide, I was thinking of using it added to a moisturizer (Keliu's recipe)instead of adding it to the retin-a. I would apply it in the morning and again at night an hour after the retin-a, I think it would still help with irritation using it this way, what do you think?

Wow LAT, I just looked at the Lotion Crafter website, what a nifty place. That seems like a great price on the niacinamide. I think your plan to add it to a moisturizer sounds good.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:33 am      Reply with quote
As many have stated, I would just reduce your usage... no reason to look like a lizard.

As long as you're not red and irritated, I would probably GENTLY manually exfoliate... just to get rid of any flakys. Then I would use a nice moisturizer... like squalane. (or a serum with squalane... + non irritating actives)

I don't use Retin-A at all in the summer... but I'm in a very sunny location that makes me spend lots of time outdoors... so I just don't risk the extra sun exposure with retin-a... which is like BEGGING for skin cancer.

I use in the winter... but dry conditions call for extra moisture... Good luck!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:04 am      Reply with quote
I have been wanting to use retin-a for a long time but have not because of very dry skin. After reading this post I decided to give Renova a try. I placed an order for the 0.025% Renova for around $32.00 including shipping with Medsmex and used a credit card. The site seemed secured but I am still scared about any fraudulent use of my card! The price was really good compared to retin-a here in USA. I can not wait to get my order! EDS is such a wealth of info. Thanks!
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
I have found that a great way to exfoliate and get rid of the flakies from Retin A is to use a facial oil or oil-based cleanser. I use Karin Herzog professional cleanser at night and I put it on my skin and the dead skin just rolls off as I'm massaging it into my skin. I have also found the same to happen when massaging facial oil.
TTD
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
Has anybody diluted retin-A of a certain strength so that it became weaker?
I have tubes of .04, .05 and .1% retin-A but I just heard that anything over .025% is of no better use than just the .025%. I am thinking of using half or a quarter the amount I would use for the .025% and mixing it w another cream then using that.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
I do dilute my Retin-A. I always used to do so with the cream, and now I use micro but I add a bit of my homemade facial oil to it. I find that my skin gets less irritated when I do this, I think both because I'm adding a moisturizing ingredient and because I'm using a slightly less concentrated product that way. Plus a tube lasts much longer.

One thing I want to mention is that you do still need to keep the gap between wash/dry time and Retin-A application. I'm a bit of a fool and I had never read the paperwork properly during YEARS of Retin-A use, and I had no idea you were supposed to wait 30 minutes after washing your face to apply it! It makes a big difference, and even though my dermatologist said that the micro was typically less irritating, and that you could probably apply it right after washing, I find that my sensitive skin still gets dry and flaky if I'm not strict about the wait time.

I hope this helps you -- good luck!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
LAT
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:05 am      Reply with quote
I LOVE this forum Very Happy
no where else would I get so many helpful replies, thank you all for taking the time to respond. I will take everyones advice and see what works best for me.

A few more questions though Rolling Eyes What exactly is squalene and does it clog pores? (I tend to have break outs) Which carrier oil do you all use, if any?

Lin
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:30 am      Reply with quote
LAT wrote:
Hi All

I dont think you should mix Retin A with anything. What I do is I apply the Retin A first, then apply a moisturizer that has niacinamide about 30min after Retin A application
oranges
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:28 am      Reply with quote
Does the moisturizer already have niaminacide in it? If not to you premix it in or mix niaminacide fresh daily? Anybody mixing it directly with retin a??
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
Regarding the strengh retin a, several years ago, my derm told me for the treatment of lines and wrinkles, you have to use .05%.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
Mars wrote:
Regarding the strengh retin a, several years ago, my derm told me for the treatment of lines and wrinkles, you have to use .05%.

I don't know if that's necessarily true, Mars. I started using retin a last April, and my plastic surgeon prescribed 0.025% -- which I thought was fine. I've since bought some 0.05% from ADC and am working up to that level at the moment.

One thing I've always heard about retin a is that stronger doesn't always mean better but just more irritation. Just my thoughts...

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:05 am      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Mars wrote:

I don't know if that's necessarily true, Mars. I started using retin a last April, and my plastic surgeon prescribed 0.025% -- which I thought was fine. I've since bought some 0.05% from ADC and am working up to that level at the moment.

One thing I've always heard about retin a is that stronger doesn't always mean better but just more irritation. Just my thoughts...

Amen - I thought it was just me but I saw no difference when I started using .1% retin over the .05% except for the fact that my face was as red as a beet and flaking.!!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:35 am      Reply with quote
I also read somewhere that you need to use .05% strength for wrinkles and collagen production, thats why I went from green cream right to the higher strength.
oranges
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:09 am      Reply with quote
I'm FINALLY ordering my retin-a. What do you all generally prefer cream or gel? Also what is the difference from the retin-a micro?
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:58 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |