Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Please Critique My Regimen -
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
This is a self-designed regimen specifically oriented toward preventing further aging (as much as reasonably possible) and repairing past age-related skin damage for persons 40+

The regimen centers around evidence-based topicals and may occasionally be supplemented by Botox, dermarolling, peels, etc. - but those are not included in this discussion for now.

It is not intended for treatment of acne, pigmentation issues, etc.

Please let me know if you see room for improvement and provide an explanation. Thank you.

Cleansing - an appropriate soapless cleanser AM & PM

For repair:

Vitamin C serum (LAA and distilled water, 15-20% concentration, pH <3 applied immediately) -possible addition of ethanol to enhance penetration.

Retinoids - Retin A and Tazarotene - covers all receptors

For prevention:

High PPD & SPF Sunscreen - applied every day

For barrier repair following extended retinoid use or over-exfoliation- a barrier repair cream such as Epiceram, Epionce Renewal (reverses inflammation)

What else?: please suggest an appropriate use for niacinamide and peptides.

Thank you, BF
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
You seem to have covered all the bases. You could try adding the niacinamide to your Retin A as suggested on a thread on the skin care forum. And, you could add a peptide serum in the morning to help plump up your skin during the day.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:08 am      Reply with quote
The most important vitamins are A, C and E. So I would incorporate the E into your C serum.

I apply a Niacinamide and Glucosamine Serum after the C serum.

I think you need some more anti-oxidants - I use allot of oils which are good for this. But you could look at incorporating some CoEnzyme Q10.

I also use a Copper Peptide in the PM because you can't use it with Vitamin C - they negate each other. HTH.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:59 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I think you need some more anti-oxidants

I agree. Though you do look to have all the basics covered, BFgirl, and could most definitely stick with that routine for a few months to see if it gives results. I think possibly alternating the C with other anti-oxidants during the week.

(Niacinamide could be used to counteract any irritation you have from the RA/Taz - see Nia24, but people also use this for pigmentation problems.)
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:12 am      Reply with quote
Thank you so much!

I was thinking the same thing about antioxidants. I do take them as oral supplements.

After dermarolling, I apply a DIY antiox topical "cocktail" of oil soluble E,A,C in a base carrier oil - usually one made from avocados, pomegranate, rice bran, etc.

By the way, I now dermaroll (home use short needle roller) at least once or twice a week. From my own research, I have determined there is no risk of chronic inflammation here if I follow the right protocol.

Thanks for the tips on niacinamide and peptides. I have not been able to decide between purchasing those in pre-made serums or adding them to my own - thoughts?

Also, will post later on some other topicals recently recommended and with some research to back them -

Tks, later, BF
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:27 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
After dermarolling, I apply a DIY antiox topical "cocktail" of oil soluble E,A,C in a base carrier oil - usually one made from avocados, pomegranate, rice bran, etc.

By the way, I now dermaroll (home use short needle roller) at least once or twice a week. From my own research, I have determined there is no risk of chronic inflammation here if I follow the right protocol.

The oil cocktail sounds good. You can also add the CoEnzyme Q10 to an oil - I put mine in Emu Oil.

I'm also using a shorter needle roller (0.5mm) now, about once a fortnight. I also choose to use my LED directly afterwards. Whilst researching the benefits of Green Tea along with LED treatments I read that Green Tea is the only known thing that will kill a staph infection. Whether this is correct or not I don't know. But I figure it would be great to apply to the skin after rolling and before the LED.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:05 am      Reply with quote
I think your regimen looks good for the most part.

I would use Retin-A/Tazorac on its own PM without any moisturizer underneath or on top (unless your skin requires it). Since this is the very best anti-aging product, I would let it work on its own.

I also agree that a vitamin C serum is the best product to use AM. The question is what to apply on top of it. The two moisturizers that you mentioned seem fine, but I have a couple of suggestions you may want to consider, as well:

Atopalm MLE
http://www.skinstore.com/p-986-atopalm-mle-cream.aspx

This is a dermatologist favorite with clinical studies to back up its effects on dry skin, eczema and skin barrier repair. It contains vitamin E (which is great on top of a C serum), the potent antioxidant grape seed extract and the skin lightening agent licorice root. Atopalm MLE is reasonably priced and has got rave reviews on skinstore.com.

Another alternative is

NIA24 Intensive Recovery Complex
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/nia24-intensive-recovery-p_8785.htm

It contains 5 % pro-NAD (Myristyl Nicotinate, the form of niacinamide that penetrates the skin better), as well as ceramides, liposomes, antioxidants and vitamin E. Ingredients-wise, it's perfect. The only drawback is the high price of this product. I hope you have a lot of money.

In case you are interested, here is a thread on pro-NAD vs niacinamide
-Why pro-NAD is better than niacinamide
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=32567&highlight=pronad

and two independent studies demonstrating that pro-NAD (Myristyl Nicotinate) strengthens skin barrier

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17927576

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17518989?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=1&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:13 am      Reply with quote
BFgirl, have you decided to add anything into your routine?
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
nah, still in the research phase, but I am coming around to one conclusion - in my opinion, the subject of sunscreens doesn't come up often enough around here on EDS Smile

I have to think sunscreens are the best beauty product of all Smile

More later - thanks, as always, for your comments, input and good thoughts!

BF
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
nah, still in the research phase, but I am coming around to one conclusion - in my opinion, the subject of sunscreens doesn't come up often enough around here on EDS Smile

I have to think sunscreens are the best beauty product of all Smile

More later - thanks, as always, for your comments, input and good thoughts!

BF

I used to think this way, as well, regarding sunscreens. What makes me want to think about this is the fact that I have seen some women with great skin (talking in probably their 50's) who don't use sunscreen. Makes me wonder!
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
It's hard to tell with some people because you can't be sure of their lifestyle or genetic background - but whenever I see someone with premature aging - I usually guess smoking and sunbathing has been part of the lifestyle.

BF
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
I ordered a Relastin product to try it out. It does have some research behind it, albeit limited in scope.

Also thanks for the info on the other form of pro-Nad, I had not heard of this one. Is there more research on it?

I've been using Avene Emulsion sunscreen, following the highest PDD recommendations.

Anyone care to share their tips on sunscreen? Tks

BF
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
I ordered a Relastin product to try it out. It does have some research behind it, albeit limited in scope.

Also thanks for the info on the other form of pro-Nad, I had not heard of this one. Is there more research on it?

I've been using Avene Emulsion sunscreen, following the highest PDD recommendations.

Anyone care to share their tips on sunscreen? Tks

BF

Have you looked at this website, BFgirl?

http://niadynepharma.com/

It may give you some info?

What kind of tips on sunscreen are you looking for?
faeriedust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:31 am      Reply with quote
Why do you have to use both retin a and tazorac? Can you choose to use either one?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:40 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the link.

I am always on the look out for new and effective sunscreens - seems they change formulations every few months!

...and sunscreen technology is ever evolving.

I use both Taz and Retin A because different receptors in the skin respond to each formulation and so if I use both, I have most, if not all of the receptors covered.

BF
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Thanks for the link.

I am always on the look out for new and effective sunscreens - seems they change formulations every few months!

...and sunscreen technology is ever evolving.

I use both Taz and Retin A because different receptors in the skin respond to each formulation and so if I use both, I have most, if not all of the receptors covered.

BF

Hi BF; I just wanted to say that the question of Taz and Retin-A acting on "different" receptors has been mentioned in another thread on EDS. From what I have gathered from reading it:

Josee wrote:
Tretinoin bind to the three subtypes of retinoic acid receptors (RAR), alpha, beta and gamma, while tazorac binds selectively to the beta and gamma receptors.

keli13 wrote:
Here's a good article about the different retinoids like Taz. They are in the process of testing Taz to see if it really is more effective. In this article they did do one test comparing .05% Retin-A to .1% Taz. Taz did better. I would have liked to see the results if they would have tested the same strength in both products, .1% Retin-A against .1% Taz. Here's the article.

http://www.smartskincare.com/treatments/topical/retinoids.html

Josee wrote:
The study the article is quoting is the one carried out by Lowe et al. and published in 2004 in Journal of Cosmetic and Laser therapy.

One of the first problems of the article is that the researchers involved are actually supported by Allergan, and the study was PAID by Allergan the maker of tazorac. So actually if you read the whole article, the "enthusiastic" writing, does not correspond to the results!

In the article, in the discussion section, it says: "The results from this study suggest that tazarotene 0.1% cream offers significant superiority over tretinoin 0.05% emollient cream in the treatment of photodamaged skin". However if you read the results, in reality tazarotene did not actually do better than tretinoin.

In addition, there is a problem with the statistical analysis. They use repeated measures (since they measure the same skin over a period of 24 weeks) but they don't use a repeate-measure analysis... thus their confidence intervals are artificially narrow.

For e.g... let's take the "global improvement" outcome. This score was measured in weeks: 2,4,8,16,20,24. From all those days, only on week 16 there was a "statistically significant" difference between tazarotene and tretinoin. Now... is this difference by chance or a true difference? We can't know since they didn't apply the correct statistical tests. Since there seems to be no trend, it seems that the difference observed at week 16 could have just been an artifact.

For these reasons... we cannot conclude based on this study that tazarotene is superior than tretinoin.

My question to you is this... is your decision to alternate or rotate Retin-A and Taz based on the information provided by Dr Todorov on his smartskincare site, or was it based on other additional information you may have found? You stated that Taz and tretinoin act on different receptors in the skin; Josee seems to be saying they act on the similar receptors (Taz does not bind to the alpha RAR; both bind to beta and gamma RAR). TIA

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
Lacy,

As you pointed out, it's unfortunate that there is no true head to head comparison study for tret vs. taz.

All the more reason *in my opinion* to use both.

From what I have read,
tretinoin is taken up more by RAR and RXR and the subtypes alpha, beta and gamma. Tazarotene is selective for gamma.

BF
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:43 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone have any updated info on the differences and advantages/disadvantages of pro-NAD vs. Niacinamide?

Tks, BF
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:47 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
It's hard to tell with some people because you can't be sure of their lifestyle or genetic background - but whenever I see someone with premature aging - I usually guess smoking and sunbathing has been part of the lifestyle.

BF

That is a possibility, and I know it has been shown with pictures that sunbathers/smokers age more than their twins. However, I have know women who smoke, don't use sunscreen, and look great - meaning no wrinkles at all. I think it may have a lot to do with genetics.
faeriedust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:23 am      Reply with quote
What strength are you using for retin a? Is higher necessarily better?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
faeriedust wrote:
What strength are you using for retin a? Is higher necessarily better?

No, it depends on what your skin can tolerate. It's best to start off on a low percentage and increase it as your skin gets used to it. I use 0.05% which is the highest allowed in Australia - we don't have 0.1% here because of our incidence of skin cancer. I could get it on the internet, but my doctor advised me to just stick with the lower percentage.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:02 am      Reply with quote
Again, thanks for the responses!

I think this is the regimen I will stick with for now until more studies are done on topicals using niacin or peptides (other than copper peptides). It's my understanding that there just isn't yet a consensus on these two - somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

I did order the Relastin, but notice it contains a lot of silicone...so that brings up the penetration issue again. I am going to ask them the question.

I don't believe any of the gadgets or facial exercises yet have enough science behind them for me. I realize there are lots of different opinions on this, but this is mine Smile

So..it's sunscreen, retinoids, homemade C serum and occasional rolls until further notice.

Please feel free to share the details of your own regimen.

Thanks, BF
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:35 am      Reply with quote
Update -

I have decided against any more DIY C serums, C alone or in combination with E, etc., unfortunately. I realize this is controversial, but after much research and discussion with other "skin people" lol, too much potential for oxidation, pro-oxidation, questions about elastin, etc. I also do not trust any commercial C serums that contain water - so it looks like I will be sticking with Skinmedica C & E unless some other equally validated formula comes long or is made known to me.
I will still use oil based Vitamin C when rolling.
I have decided to add Relastin to my regimen.
I am also only using sunscreen when I leave the house and any foundation on top of that. Nothing else.
I will rotate the retinoids, Skinmedica and Relastin the rest of the time - when not rolling, when rolling I use a DIY oil based cocktail of vitamins/antioxidants.

That's it for now Smile

BF
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:40 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Update -

I have decided against any more DIY C serums, C alone or in combination with E, etc., unfortunately. I realize this is controversial, but after much research and discussion with other "skin people" lol, too much potential for oxidation, pro-oxidation, questions about elastin, etc.

BFgirl, care to share what exactly changed your mind in more details? Was there something specific that you read/heard?

I have decided to use l-ascorbic acid, but at night, not during the day. I also don't use anything in the morning, other than sunscreen.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:07 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

My decisions were based on all that I have read over the past few months and lately, both in the dermatology textbooks (Skin&Aging, Photoaging,forget the name of the third textbook etc.) and on the various forums.

When I added up all the problems with Vitamin C, I just decided it wasn't worth the risk or the hassle...of potential skin damage, wasted money, etc.

In the end, Vitamin C is helpful, but it's usefulness is outweighed by retinoids and effective sunscreens. The textbooks do mention the importance of antioxidants for additional photoprotection - so I am going to stick to the formulations (non-aquaeous or oil based) that are not known to *cause* problems, only potentially help the skin.

Hope my explanation here makes sense!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:12 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |