Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Natural Toothpaste
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! I was wondering if anyone here uses Natural Toothpaste? EX. Tom's Toothpaste. Do you think it's any better or worse than regular toothpaste?

Thanks Very Happy
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
I used Weleda's toothpaste, it was OK, nothing special. It has a very fresh minty smell, but I prefer Colgate toothpastes, as they are very well balanced and provide your teeth with fluoride, also they clean much better.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:21 pm      Reply with quote
I have and continue to use Toms and Burt Bree's toothpaste, I like both and find they work as well as any other toothpaste. The flavor is good for both brands, leaves teeth clean and breath fresh. I prefer no Fluoride or other added inorganic as much as possible.

HTH
DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:12 am      Reply with quote
Tom's of Maine for me, too. I love the "fennel" flavored one. Smile
samplelover
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:07 am      Reply with quote
I like GoSMILE Lemonade Whitening Protection Fluoride Toothpaste. Probably not entirely natural.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:33 am      Reply with quote
GoSMILE PM Toothpaste Ingredients:

Sorbitol, Purified Water, Hydrated Silica, Glycerin, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Flavor, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Monofluorphosphate, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Saccharin, Valeriana Officinalis, White Cranberry Powder

the lemonaide flavored one:

Ingredients: Sorbitol, Purified Water, Hydrated Silica, Glycerin, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Essential Oil of Lemon, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Monofluorophosphate, Lemon Extract, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Saccharin, Titanium Dioxide, White Cranberry Powder

The sodium lauryl sulfate is on my major no no list. I don't even want it on my face or body much less in my mouth.
It has a lot that is not natural.
But to each his/her own!

DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! Thanks for the replies! I didn't know Burt's Bee's and Weleda made toothpaste. I believe I've always used toothpaste with fluoride.

I'm trying to use more natural products. I'm just scared to change toothpaste because I've never had a cavity.

Maybe I should try Tom's toothpaste with Fluoride included.

Dark Moon I've been trying to avoid SLS as well! Tom's toothpaste does have SLS but it says it's derived from Coconut and/or Palm kernel oil.

http://www.tomsofmaine.com/products/ingredient-detail.aspx?id=21&name=Sodium%20lauryl%20sulfate
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Skincare,
I know nothing is perfect, short of using my Dr. Bronners Peppermint Oil Soap (which I have done) it is hard. I try to get the Burt Bees when I can, things in my life are a bit crazy now so a bit housebound (caretaker). I have to grab what I can.
For those of you reading the peppermint oil soap can be used safely as toothpaste, but you taste Castile soap not peppermint! Shock Shock

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:54 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare,
if you read down a bit on the site you linked to Toms of Maine does also offer a line of SLS free toothpaste as well as the ones with. I thought what I bought was free of SLS, you are just trying to make me crazier than I already am LOL JOKING!!!!!

Laughing
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
This bums me out Burt Bees discontinued their toothpaste! It is on their own site!
From healthy diet.com:
http://www.ezhealthydiet.com/burts-bees-toothpaste.html
If you use Burts Bees Toothpaste you will never have to call the poison control center. What, you didn't know most of your everyday toothpaste is poisonous if swallowed? Don't believe me? Stop right now and go read the label on your toothpaste.
Now, try Burt's...

Notice: Our supplier, Vitamin Shoppe, no longer carries Burt's Bees Toothpastes. However, you can get your favorite flavors such as Cinna Mint and Lavender Mint from eBay below. If you don't want to wait for an auction to end, search for the Buy It Now items so you can get it right away.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Skincare,
if you read down a bit on the site you linked to Toms of Maine does also offer a line of SLS free toothpaste as well as the ones with. I thought what I bought was free of SLS, you are just trying to make me crazier than I already am LOL JOKING!!!!!

Laughing
DM

Hi Darkmoon,

I remember when I looked at Tom's toothpaste in the health food store I thought it didn't have SLS. Yeah I probably should have looked more on the website.

Sometime all the beauty stuff makes me feel crazy too Very Happy Very Happy
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
SkinCare,
I know how you feel, the "great debate" on the Vitamin C is really enough to make your head spin, I had major info overload on Sunday! LOL@ME. Bad Grin

DM

ETA I am really mad Burt Bees discontinued the toothpaste!!!!! I can't imagine why.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
SkinCare,
I know how you feel, the "great debate" on the Vitamin C is really enough to make your head spin, I had major info overload on Sunday! LOL@ME. Bad Grin

DM

ETA I am really mad Burt Bees discontinued the toothpaste!!!!! I can't imagine why.

DarkMoon,

I had a whole list of skincare products I wanted to buy. The more I read the list would change. Then I got depressed about it, I had to stop reading about skincare/beauty for awhile. LOL Razz

Anyways thanks for letting me know about Burt's Bee's. I was actually going to look for that at Target.

Next time I run out of toothpaste I think I'm going to try Tom's. My boyfriend used it once and said it tasted like booty. Laughing

He told me it worked good, but he owes his success to his Sonicare.

Very Happy
SKYDAGZ
5% products discount

Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
If your tube of toothpaste has a warning label "contact a poison control center immediately if you swallow" it's probably not a good choice. Always go with a natural toothpaste and do your research on fluoride, sodium benzoate, and the other toxic chemicals contained in all the other mainstream brands.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:06 am      Reply with quote
SkinCare,Your boyfriends comment made me think BOOTY PASTE LOL Them reminded me there is a diaper cream called Butt Butter I end up on the baby isle as dad I am caring for is bedridden and in diapers so have to get supplies there! Thanks for my morning chuckle went quite well with my cup of coffee!
I right there with you on that, as soon as one raves about a product I am interested in, someone else shoots it down as it did not work for them! I am waiting on a few things to see if more members chime in and see if the yay's are higher than the nay's.
As far as Vitamin C the debate continues on so I will not waste a dime buying a ready made one, and the DIY is back and forth, I live where the orange trees grow so I may just buy from local growers and eat my C for now. There are other antioxidants to use on the skin! I'll keep it on my watched list and if a reasonable conclusion is reached I will try a DIY then.
Toothpaste filled with artificial sweetners and flavorings are what we became accustomed to ao it takes some getting used to a natural alternative, and flavor choice makes a diffrence! Change is always hard.

DM Laughing Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:37 am      Reply with quote
I liked the taste of Crest but it always made my lips burn and peel. That can't be great for the body. And when my asthma was at it's worst I would get attacks from using Colgate or anything minty. I switched to Tom's and whatever grabbed my fancy at the health food store. I did get cavities but apparently if you eat lots of cheese (which I don't) it has an enzyme that gets rid of the bacteria.

I don't get cavities now but I would get one a year when I stopped using fluoride toothpaste. Now, fluoride is another debate on whether it's good or bad. It's also genetics too. We have bad teeth in our family.

You can also make your own with baking soda, glycerin and EOs for flavor.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
SKYDAGZ wrote:
If your tube of toothpaste has a warning label "contact a poison control center immediately if you swallow" it's probably not a good choice. Always go with a natural toothpaste and do your research on fluoride, sodium benzoate, and the other toxic chemicals contained in all the other mainstream brands.

yes as posted above:

If you use Burts Bees Toothpaste you will never have to call the poison control center. What, you didn't know most of your everyday toothpaste is poisonous if swallowed? Don't believe me? Stop right now and go read the label on your toothpaste.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
Sakura,
eating apples after anything else also cleans teeth, and just so all is clear the cheese has to be HARD cheese.

The baking soda and glycerinn would do the trick, I am sure it tastes about as good as my Dr. Bronners Peppermint Soap, it works but it definatly tastes like soap. I used the baking soda and peroxide deal for a while and that tasted like a$$ !!! LOL Not picking on you it just tastes really bad.
Oh the joys of going organic.

DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:57 am      Reply with quote
I've been using Dentiste Nighttime Toothpaste (http://dentiste.imf-wellness.com/) for about a year+ now.

I'll say in terms of keeping breath fresh and the health of the teeth and gums, natural/herbal toothpastes like the Dentiste toothpaste does quite a good job. My gums used to be quite sensitive and prone to bleeding easily if I brush too forcefully but now it's not really a problem anymore. It also doesn't hurt that the natural/herbal toothpaste tastes/smells quite nice (though I think it might be subjective as it is a herbal toothpaste).

My grandmother and mother also swears by this natural bamboo salt toothpaste for toothaches. I've never used it personally myself but judging by the way my grandmother & mother stock up (2/3 boxes per trip to the supermarket), I guess it does work well enough haha Razz

However I think if you're looking for a toothpaste that does whitening then a natural toothpaste probably wouldn't work too well. At least though the Dentiste toothpaste also claims to help with whitening, I don't see much of an effect for that aspect Neutral

Otherwise for general teeth/gum care and hygiene, I don't see why a natural/herbal toothpaste will necessarily lose out to other brands like colgate. Afterall I would think for the most part the usual key ingredients like flouride would be present in both types of toothpastes Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:30 am      Reply with quote
There are some natural toothpastes minus Fluoride. You may wish to check a little blog on fluoride and toxicity there are more sites but here is one for a start.

http://undergroundscience.blogspot.com/2006/06/dangers-of-fluoride-in-toothpaste.html

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:14 pm      Reply with quote
I have never heard of bamboo salt toothpaste. sounds interesting.

Fluoride in toothpaste does not bother me - so long as you avoid swallowing. SLS is best avoided.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:03 am      Reply with quote
Hello Sis,

I just wonder over years how much we swallow by accident and does any absorb through membranes in the mouth? Most of the regular brands with fluoride also contain SLS.

I just err on the side of caution if I find my non fluoride brands locally I buy it instead.
Most of us more mature ladies and gents have swallowed more than our fair share in drinking water over time. Now some cities stopped adding it to the water supply, but not all.

DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
SKYDAGZ wrote:

Yeah good point! I never thought about that before.
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
SkinCare,Your boyfriends comment made me think BOOTY PASTE LOL Them reminded me there is a diaper cream called Butt Butter I end up on the baby isle as dad I am caring for is bedridden and in diapers so have to get supplies there! Thanks for my morning chuckle went quite well with my cup of coffee!
I right there with you on that, as soon as one raves about a product I am interested in, someone else shoots it down as it did not work for them! I am waiting on a few things to see if more members chime in and see if the yay's are higher than the nay's.
As far as Vitamin C the debate continues on so I will not waste a dime buying a ready made one, and the DIY is back and forth, I live where the orange trees grow so I may just buy from local growers and eat my C for now. There are other antioxidants to use on the skin! I'll keep it on my watched list and if a reasonable conclusion is reached I will try a DIY then.
Toothpaste filled with artificial sweetners and flavorings are what we became accustomed to ao it takes some getting used to a natural alternative, and flavor choice makes a diffrence! Change is always hard.

DM Laughing Laughing

I laughed so hard when I seen Butt Paste in the store!

As for Vitamin C, I take a supplement. I was going to buy ascorbic acid, then I decided I didn't want to have anything to do with acids.

Like I told someone else I believe skincare had trends just like fashion does. Also people have to keep their skin type in mind. I once bought proactive. I didn't even have Acne! I just thought it was going to be a mineral product! Laughing

As for toothpaste it's nice that Tom's has many choices. I've noticed that it's a bit more expensive. Although sometimes you do get what you pay for! Very Happy
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Hello Sis,

I just wonder over years how much we swallow by accident and does any absorb through membranes in the mouth? Most of the regular brands with fluoride also contain SLS.

I just err on the side of caution if I find my non fluoride brands locally I buy it instead.
Most of us more mature ladies and gents have swallowed more than our fair share in drinking water over time. Now some cities stopped adding it to the water supply, but not all.

DM

My head is still spinning about the Fluoride issue. I used to get Fluoride treatments at the Dentist when I was younger.

I've drank well water most of my life. So I believe I didn't get any Fluoride. Like I said the toothpaste I use now does contain Fluoride. I can't remember if I've always used a toothpaste with Fluoride. ANYWAYS, Very Happy I must have done something right because I've never had a cavity.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |