Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

- 7 ingredients to watch in 2009
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:02 am      Reply with quote
I came across this article

http://www.latimes.com/features/image/la-ig-beauty-0201-pg,0,3799972.photogallery

about 7 ingredients to watch in 2009 (I think the article was published a few months ago), and thought I would share. The list is based on recommendations from 25 experts.

Personally, I find growth factors the most interesting of the ingredients mentioned, but so far, none of the ingredients are backed by studies that make them outperform the gold standard in topical skin care products, vitamin A and C.

These ingredients are listed in the article:

Growth factors
Carnosine
Resveratrol
Argan oil
Gatuline Expression
Acai Berry
Asthaxanthin

Please share your experience with the products mentioned in the article!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:13 am      Reply with quote
The Topix Citrix Serum with Growth Factor they mention is also a vit c serum. I'm tempted with this one. But its in a silicone base which my skin does not always like.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:51 am      Reply with quote
Asthaxanthin can be found in Krill oil (Omega 3) supplements and Carnosine is being touted on at least one of the supplements thread. I don't know how much research (like you mention) is behind these but I know I take them both internally.
Off to read the article in it's entirety. Thanks September girl.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:42 am      Reply with quote
Interesting. Thanks for the link, septembergirl. I have the Neocutis, but have not used it!
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
I'm always on the lookout for good plant oils/butters, but argan oil just didn't do it for me, I didn't like it much and I ended up using it on my hair.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
Coconut wrote:
I'm always on the lookout for good plant oils/butters, but argan oil just didn't do it for me, I didn't like it much and I ended up using it on my hair.

And, it stinks to high heaven to me! Laughing I could not take the smell, and my dogs did not want to be near me when I had argan oil on!
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:01 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Coconut wrote:

And, it stinks to high heaven to me! Laughing I could not take the smell, and my dogs did not want to be near me when I had argan oil on!

Laughing
In the article it's focused on skin care products containing argan oil as one of the ingredients, such as the brand Kaeline. I believe that's a better alternative than the pure argan oil. I am sure your dogs agree with me. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:17 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
Laughing
In the article it's focused on skin care products containing argan oil as one of the ingredients, such as the brand Kaeline. I believe that's a better alternative than the pure argan oil. I am sure your dogs agree with me. Very Happy

I think you are most definitely right, septembergirl! Laughing
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:04 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:

My Argan Oil has no smell whatsoever - and Lulu, my chihuahua loves licking it off my face when I get into bed. In fact she loves all my oils, especially Emu Oil. I'm really relying on chihuahua spit to be my best hope for anti-aging because that's all I tend to have left on my face when I go to sleep! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:12 am      Reply with quote
This morning's email from Dr. Weil adds one more to the list for topical application: ellagic acid from berries.

It's looking more and more like the same ingredients that help on the inside may also help on the outside - how's that for a simplistic statement lol

BF
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:44 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
This morning's email from Dr. Weil adds one more to the list for topical application: ellagic acid from berries.

It's looking more and more like the same ingredients that help on the inside may also help on the outside - how's that for a simplistic statement lol

BF

I had read about ellagic acid, which is supposed to help with diminishing pigmentation. I can't remember where I read this, but you were supposed to eat 1/2-1 c (something like this amount) of strawberries every day for so many weeks. I tried this, and it did not do a thing for my pigmentation (at least in the amount of weeks you were supposed to eat this!). I wasn't aware that there was a product of ellagic acid for topical use. Is this is one of his products, BFgirl?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:42 am      Reply with quote
I found out about the Asthaxanthin a few years ago and take it as a supplement, as well as adding it to night moisturizer, not to great for the day time as it is very orange in color! Lol
Not most peoples best look. I have read it is much more potent than Vitamin E, I don't remember the exact quote as to how much more so but it was quite a bit.

DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:46 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the link Smile
yobi
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
Interesting, thanks for posting. Its time to update my skincare.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
About astaxanthin from inside cosmeceuticals

http://www.insidecosmeceuticals.com/articles/2009/06/anti-aging-with-astaxanthin.aspx

Worth reading for supplement use as well as skin care!

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
rileygirl wrote:

My Argan Oil has no smell whatsoever - and Lulu, my chihuahua loves licking it off my face when I get into bed. In fact she loves all my oils, especially Emu Oil. I'm really relying on chihuahua spit to be my best hope for anti-aging because that's all I tend to have left on my face when I go to sleep! Laughing

Kelilu,
What is the Brand of the Argan oil you buy? I don't want to have it stink to high heaven! I am interested in giving this a try!

TIA
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:50 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

Kelilu,
What is the Brand of the Argan oil you buy? I don't want to have it stink to high heaven! I am interested in giving this a try![/quote]

I purchased it on Ebay and put it into another bottle, so now I don't know what brand it was - sorry. Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:58 am      Reply with quote
Keliu,
Been there done that! Thanks for your reply I guess I will ask Riley and make sure not to get that brand! Laughing

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:58 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Keliu,
Been there done that! Thanks for your reply I guess I will ask Riley and make sure not to get that brand! Laughing

DM

I got a sample from natures gifts. I also used 1 from Kiehls (sp?) and they both stink to me! Some people love the smell, DM, but I do not like it!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:20 am      Reply with quote
Riley,
I guess I will have to be bad and sneak a sniff at the health food store LOL if they have it! I may just have to order it and take my chances, at worst I can use it to condition hair!

DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
GoW Concord Grape AntiOx Serum contains 3 of these 7 ingredients:

Acai
Resveratrol
Carnosine

Will be my next try.
MarieIG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:24 am      Reply with quote
Growth factors - have not tried, but have in the past not now, taken products which are supposed to stimulate your own growth hormones.

Carnosine - I'm taking this - I believe it's anti-glycation (I could be wrong, I take so much stuff I tend to forget which is doing what).

Resveratrol - I take this - morning and night. There was a segment done on this over on 60 minutes. This is supposed to have some of the same benefits of a reduced calorie diet.

Argan oil - have not tried but have read a lot of reviews about this. Adrienne over at HSN has a product line featuring argan oil

Gatuline Expression - not familiar with this

Acai Berry - have this in one of my supplaments, supposed to be a good anti-oxidant

Asthaxanthin - first heard about this from Dr. Perricone, also taking this in one of my supplements.

Now the bad news, I can't tell you how the individual supplements are affecting me - I take so many.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:37 am      Reply with quote
MarieIG,
LOL, I can so relate to what you are saying there! I take all the Garden of Life supplements plus a ton of added stuff, I know things feel better, and skin looks great but I have not a clue what is helping what!
Shock
DM

Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |