Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Re: Skin getting de-sensitized to products/ingredients??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
samantha185
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:31 am      Reply with quote
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has faced/is facing similar problems as I do...

I'm 25 this year and have hit the post-teens spotty-yet-dry-skin stage Mad sigh... quite an irony since I was never that bothered by spots even during my puberty years Confused

I've tried many types/brands of skincare but as my habit has always been to go on one skincare brand fully at a time (i.e. only use products from that same skincare range - which means a heavy $$$ investment at a shot), I don't switch brands until it's confirmed that the brand does not do anything for my skin. My skin is also not sensitive - too date I've not gotten any allergic reactions with the exception of Decleor products (probably due to the high EO content more than any specific ingredient allergies).

And usually when a skincare line works, i stay with it a few years... I stuck with Shiseido Pureness through my late teens & Haba products through my early twenties etc... Usually it'll take roughly about 2-3 years per product range before problems crop up...

Howver lately I've been feeling/sensing that my skin seems to be getting de-sensitized to products very quickly... For example, I was on Dr. Hauschka skincare regime for about a year+. At first the products worked great, balanced out my skin and helped with the dryness. But after the year+, the products just lost their effectiveness somehow... My skin went back to the spotty-yet-dry-skin stage though I did not make any changes to my lifestyles nor did I add in any new products to my skincare regime.

So I decided to try Shu Uemura Deepsea range and have been on the range about half a year... Initially the products worked fine as well - helped to balance out my skin (though not so much with the dryness) and no other major issues. But now half a year later, the same problem of the products losing their effectiveness, again without any changes to lifestyle or skincare! I actually feel my skin is worse now than half a year ago i.e. more irritable/prone to spots - the dryness is more or less constant.

I'm thinking of going back to Dr. Hauschka but am just afraid of the same process happening again... Anyone faced similar issues or have any ideas why? Is it because of skin changes during this mid-20s period? Is this a sign I should be starting to take supplements/vitamins etc?

Appreciate any ideas/comments from anyone! Thanks in advance Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:45 am      Reply with quote
our skin tend to change over time, especially if we live in multi-seasonal countries.
so we need to have different product types to cater for each season, else it'll either be too dry, or too oily.
generally, i change my moisturiser every 1-1.5 years, or about after 1-3 bottles of usage, because your skin will get too used to one.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:21 am      Reply with quote
Some of the skincare experts recommend rotating products. For example, I read that Daniel Yarosh (founder of the Remergent skincare line and now in charge of product development at Estee Lauder) advised to go on 6 weeks of retinoid product then switch to 6 weeks of AHA (alpha hydroxy acids) and back again in a cycle. Perhaps you might try and get hold of his book to read.
oranges
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:59 am      Reply with quote
I keep hearing more and more about your skin "getting used to products". I do know alot of people who switch products with the seasons.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with the above posters (different products for different seasons/rotating products out). Do you take 1 day off a week and let your skin rest - Meaning no products, other than washing and sunscreen? I think 1 day of rest a week with no "actives" is good for your skin.

Do you use a lot of heavy moisturizers? I don't believe in moisturizing the skin (unless is truly needs it, every once in a while).

What do you mean by "spotty" yet dry?
samantha185
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
Firstly, thanks for all the responses!

I do know of changing products to meet the seasonal needs of the skin but that's the problem - Singapore has no seasons... It's equatorial hot & humid all year round. Probably the only difference in the weather is rainy vs. sunny days Confused The temperatures stay largely the same all the way through the year so there are no major fluctuations at all.

Rileygirl - actually I don't really use heavy products i.e. between a cream or a serum I'll take the serum anytime (partly also because I'm a texture freak and I can't stand the heaviness/stickiness of creams most times). When I was on Dr. H it was either rose cream light or quince day cream for the morning & then nothing else at night (following the brand philosophy of letting the skin breathe). This past year when using Shu Uemura I've only been using the Deepsea Moisture Serum after the toning lotion for the day and only some nights when I turn on the AC.

Spotty yet dry... by that i mean i'm much more prone to getting bumps/little breakouts on my skin (esp on my forehead) even though my skin is dry. My skin type is combi - T-zone oiler than my cheeks but the oiliness has gone down a lot. In fact most times I hardly get any oily-shine (like during the puberty/teen years!).
I suspect the bumps/breakouts are due to skin dryness but the serums etc don't seem to have any effect sigh...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:38 am      Reply with quote
Samantha, I know what you mean with no seasons. I live in FL and we really don't have a change of seasons either. It is either hot, or hotter, and very humid!

You sound like you are doing everything right with using lighter products, etc. Have you seen a derm to possibly help with your skin? The only other thing I can think of is how is your diet? Do you eat lots of fruits and veggies, and good fats? Drink lots of water? Sorry, can't be of more help here to you. It sounds frustrating! I think if your diet is lacking in any of the above you could give that a try. Otherwise, I am not sure what could be going on! Hopefully more people will chime in to help you.
samplelover
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:20 am      Reply with quote
I don't know if putting on a serum after toner is enough for your skin. You might wanna try using a mask for the breakout once a week.

Perhaps using a lotion after the serum or use a lotion alone might help.
Y34963
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:24 am      Reply with quote
I believe our skin does get used to products - some more than others - very quickly. I rotate my skincare. I live in an area that has 4 seasons and winter is very dry so I need a lot more moisturizer than the summer. I find it works well rotating. Now that I am using a lot of the DIY recipes it will be a lot easier to adjust those products myself by adding/deleting different oils, etc.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:14 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |