Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Can you ladies check over my routine?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Lemon
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there, longtime lurker and first post. I would really appreciate it if you all could give me your opinions on my skincare routine.

I am 22 with normal skin (but gets oily or dry depending on the weather/seasons) and I am looking at mostly preventative measures but also a little bit of corrective. I started wearing sunscreen fairly regularly about a year and a half ago even though I almost never burn. However, due to my recent job as a rock climbing instructor at a summer camp, continuing my normal skincare routine was really impractical. I ended up getting a lot of sun exposure and can tell some early signs of wrinkles have been accelerated just from that!

Since camp has ended I have returned to my regular routine of washing my face with a salicylic cleanser, and using Neutrogena's Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle treatment (does contain retinal) at night (I'm hoping that's enough to turn back the clock on the faint forehead lines I'm starting to see). In the morning I use some Alpha Hydrox souffle (an AHA) and of course, sunscreen.

I feel like the one thing I am missing is an antioxidant. I am thinking of using vitamin E capsules, but where in my routine should I put them? They are too oily for daytime use for me, but I'm not sure if they are compatible with the retinal cream at night. Can I use both at the same time, and if so which one should I put on first?

Some additional questions:
Do you guys think starting out with the Neutrogena is a good idea considering I am young, have never used a retinal before, and my lines are very faint? Or should I just dive straight into prescription for real results?

Also, I am looking for a more cosmetic sunscreen...I am currently switching between Badger SPF 30 and the Neutrogena Dry-Touch but they both give my face an oily look. Any good recs for that?

Please feel free to add any other suggestions. Thanks so much!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:49 am      Reply with quote
Welcome to the forum, Lemon.
It's good that you start to take care of your skin and use sunscreen every day. What strikes me, is that I think you overdo exfoliation. You may end up with a rough skin texture and over-sensitized skin if you exfoliate too much when you are so young. I do believe that you can benefit from the Neutrogena retinol cream PM, but I would skip the AHA product AM, and substitute it with a good antioxidant serum, which is the best anti-aging preventative available. Look for a good and stable vitamin C serum. I would suggest CellularSkinRX C+ (the cheapest), SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic or SkinMedica C Complex.

Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice Septembergirl. Do you think I should use AHAs say, once a week or just scrap it all together?

I am very inspired by some of the vitamin C serum recipes I see here and would like to try them out!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
DIY vitamin C serum is a great and much more affordable alternative than the ones I mentioned.

If you don't want to stop using your AHA product, you can alternate between Alpha Hydrox Souffle and Neutrogena Healthy Skin PM. They are both sun sensitizing exfoliants and should preferably be used at night.

A vitamin C serum and sunscreen AM and AHA/retinol PM would make a great skin care routine.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Lemon,with all the heat that you are getting, I think you are better off to use your AHA products at night time. Maybe keep your face with enough moisture and re-apply sunscreen at work to block the UV damage. You may want to use a hydrating mask during the weekend.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:00 am      Reply with quote
I totally agree that adding a Vit C serum in the AM is in order and DIY is the best. I would also try Devita's moisturizing sunscreen (not the proper name) especially if you wear any mineral based makeup.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Lemon
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone! For those of you familiar with the DIY vitamin C recipes on the board, are there any in particular that you think might be best for my skin (youngish, normal, living in the sunny south, would like to avoid anything making my face look oily)?

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
Sometimes when you're exposed to that much sun, just 1 layer of sunscreen isnt enough.
Hence you need a stronger sunscreen.
During summer here, the sun is remarkably strong, so when i have to stay out a lot, i apply my SPF50 face sunscreen and another product called 'Smart Protection Cream' from Oya's Methode Suisse. It's absorbs UV rays as well and best of all, it stays on your skin for 24 hours upon application, unlike a normal sunscreen which you have to apply every 3 hours.
Only thing, if you use that, you have to double cleanse your face when you wash your face.
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:00 am      Reply with quote
Lemon wrote:
Thanks everyone! For those of you familiar with the DIY vitamin C recipes on the board, are there any in particular that you think might be best for my skin (youngish, normal, living in the sunny south, would like to avoid anything making my face look oily)?

Here's one for 1oz @ 15% concentration that is simple - if you find it too oily you could substitute glycerin with SKB (Sea Kelp Bioferment)

1 tsp LAA
3 tsp distilled water
2 tsp glycerin

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:21 am      Reply with quote
Ok so I have ordered supplies needed to make a basic C-serum (yay so excited!).

Additionally, I have cut back on using my salicylic cleanser and switched instead to a castor/jojoba mix at the suggestion that I might be too stripping and harsh on my skin (which by the way it's only been two days but I can really see the gross plugs coming out when I wash!).

Afterward I apply a homemade ACV/green tea mixture (toner?) on my face, and then continue to my nightly Neutrogena retinol.

Keeping in mind that soon I will be adding a C-serum, does this sound better?

Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:16 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |