Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Ingredients to combat gray hair
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:02 am      Reply with quote
I'm wanting to try adding some ingredients to my shampoo which would be helpful to keep my hair from graying. I know this is probably a lost battle, but I'd love to hear from anyone who has some ideas. Studies are welcome! Wink Razz
Songbird
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:00 am      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
I'm wanting to try adding some ingredients to my shampoo which would be helpful to keep my hair from graying. I know this is probably a lost battle, but I'd love to hear from anyone who has some ideas. Studies are welcome! Wink Razz

Are there such ingredients?? If so, I'd be interested to hear as well. I seem to be graying very rapidly as of late. I guess stress takes it's toll in many ways. Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:11 am      Reply with quote
Songbird,

I go through periods where I find lots of gray hair, and then they fall out and my hair isn't so gray again. My hair color is the one thing I like about myself, so that's why I'd like to find something to restore it naturally (I know, I know - if I ever make that discovery, I'd be rich).
havana8

Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:55 am      Reply with quote
The SA July issue had a little article on a new product they are working on for preventing gray hair that might give you some ideas:

Hannah's Notes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    New scientific findings about gray hair and, soon, a new SAS product

SAS will be soon presenting a hair serum to help prevent gray hair.

Gray hair happens because there is little or no melanin incorporated in the hair as it is formed in the follicle. It has been known for some time that oxidants were implicated in the damage and death of the melanocytes in the follicle. New evidence shows that hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) accumulates in the hair shafts of gray-white hair. Two enzymes are involved in the prevention and repair of oxidative damage: catalase and methionine sulfoxide reductase. In gray hairs they are almost completely gone.

Catalase breaks down hydrogen peroxide, preventing damage to the cell's DNA and membrane lipids. Conversely, methionine sulfoxide reductase (MSR) repairs protein damage. For example, MSR can fix a damaged amino acid in tyrosinase the key enzyme of melanogenesis. Another way of preventing damage of tyrosinase by hydrogen peroxide is to have L-methionine in the environment.

Our SAS no-gray serum will contain, among other actives, catalase, methionine sulfoxide reductase and L-methionine. The objective of our no-gray serum is to prevent the loss of hair color.

There is no evidence that anything can restore the original color to gray hair, but there is room for hope. If the color loss is relatively recent, the non-oxidant environment provided by our serum may prevent the death of melanocytes and allow tyrosinase in those melanocytes to do its job again.

Wood, J. M., Decker, H., Hartmann, H., Chavan, B., Rokos, H., Spencer, J. D., Hasse, S.,
    Thornton, M. J., Shalbaf, M., Paus, R., Schallreuter, K. U. (2009) Senile hair graying: H2O2-mediated
    oxidative stress affects human hair color by blunting methioninesulfoxide repair. FASEB Journal online.
    http://www.fasebj.org/cgi/content/abstract/fj.08-125435v1

http://www.skinactives.com/forum.aspx
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Havana.

I did find one study that said lotus flower essential oil may be useful in preventing gray hair. I'm having trouble finding a place to buy it, though.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
Wow Havana,

That actually gives some hope to those of us who are beyond prevention! Very interesting information. Thanks for posting.

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
DM,

Have you ever run across lotus flower essential oil?

Thanks.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie,
I have heard of it but never run across it, I can't swear to this but I think it is one of those really pricey ones. Might be able to special order it.
I will check out what I can and let you know.

HTH
DM
link to a seller:
http://www.bluelotus-export.com/index.php?lay=show&ac=article&Id=333952&Ntype=1

here is another:
http://www.essentialoil.in/lotus-essential-oil.shtml

t
They are pricey as suspected, but if it was cheep it would probably be a "fragrance" oil artifical which unless all you want to smell it, you need the actual essential oil to receive benefits.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie,
here is the link to full study about effect on hair:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2721149

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, DM. I just ordered some, so we'll see how it goes.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie,
That was fast work LOL I'll be interested to know how it works for you! I wish my grey (snow white) would magically disappear sometimes! Your hair sounds quite unique!

Good Luck

DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
I think lotus oil is even more expensive than rose.
My ingredients that work well are the ones in the bottle of Redken EQ. Rolling Eyes I would dye my hair even if it were not gray. Its rather drab.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
SansSouci572,

I know how you feel my grey is snow white against really dark brown with auburn highlights. I wouldn't mind my natural color but the mix is hideous on me! No choice but to color.

DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
I just discovered those crayons at Sally's, for in between...they work surprisingly well!
neondaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
I have heard that for some people grey hair can mean that they are deficient in vit B, and/or copper.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
I take a vitamin B complex, but unfortunately, I'm still greying at 37. Who knows I may be greying at a slower pace?
neondaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
I'm greying at 37 too...! snap!
I've only just recently started taking a B complex (and feel sooo much better - wish I'd been onto that a little earlier!) and I could swear that my dark brown hair is not nearly as ash, and has more copper and red highlights - more like when I was younger.
MSM has also made a huge difference in how much hair I have - it was getting really thin, now it's nice and thick again.
I've also found out that I have thyroid problems and copper is one way to fix that, so have just started taking that too - as of yesterday, so way too soon to tell if it will do anything for the grey.
But Skippie if your hair is sometimes greyer and sometimes not, and then falling out at times, you might want to get your thyroid checked out too.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:26 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
But Skippie if your hair is sometimes greyer and sometimes not, and then falling out at times, you might want to get your thyroid checked out too.

Thanks, neondaze. I was tested for thyroid problems not too long ago and was ok. But I like your suggestion of taking a B complex. Can you tell me what you take?
neondaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Skippie. I take a powdered B formula that you can only get through a naturopath. We have brands in Australia that are 'practitioner only' ones. Not sure if you have the same thing wherever you are - the vits/herbs are presumably in a higher dosage than normal and only a professional can put you on them. So giving you the label is probably not much use to you.

Some people think that B12 *might* be the key, so maybe look for something with a reasonable quantity of that.
Though there is some indication that it is a combination of a few of the Bs that is important:
http://hubpages.com/hub/Why-Does-Hair-Turn-Grey

HTH!
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:01 am      Reply with quote
That was a very interesting article, neondaze. Thanks for posting it. I'll take a look and see what I can find here in the U.S.

I found these vitamins by Reminex that are supposed to help with gray hair: http://www.reminex.com/index.html

Just wondering if anyone has tried these.
htian21
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie,

How has the lotus oil be working so far? Any improvements with the grey hair? How do you apply it? Directly on the scalp?
Thanks!
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
Sadly, htian, I had to file a claim with Paypal to get my money refunded, because the company never sent me the lotus oil or responded to emails. I'm a little leery of ordering from somewhere else without knowing anything about the company. Thank goodness for Paypal.
htian21
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
I am sorry to hear that, Skippie.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:24 am      Reply with quote
Me too Skippie! Sad

DM

Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:14 am      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
Sadly, htian, I had to file a claim with Paypal to get my money refunded, because the company never sent me the lotus oil or responded to emails. I'm a little leery of ordering from somewhere else without knowing anything about the company. Thank goodness for Paypal.

Oh no! How irritating. Confused I am not sure if it is the same as the Lotus Oil that you were originally purchasing but Nature's Gift has the Pink, Blue and White Lotus Absolutes:
http://www.naturesgift.com/essential/Lotus-Absolute.htm
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:42 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |