Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Ingredients to combat gray hair
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Zenity
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.examiner.com/x-28833-Birmingham-Fountain-of-Youth-Examiner~y2009m11d15-Prevent-and-reverse-gray-hair-now

Quote:
Earlier this year scientists uncovered strong evidence that suggests graying tresses are preventable and reversible.

Researcher Karin Schallreuter, a professor of clinical and experimental dermatology at the University of Bradford in England, and her colleagues found that grey hair was caused by a chemical reaction triggered by a decrease in an enzyme called catalase. A sharp decrease in this enzyme causes peroxide to build up in the hair shaft, bleaching the hair internally.

Dr. Schallreuter noted that the introduction of the free form amino acid L- Methionine stopped the hydrogen peroxide from interfering with the body’s ability to produce tyrosinase. Schallreuter, and her colleagues are researching a protocol for L Methionine and stated: “ We know that it is not possible to get high enough levels of this amino acid through the diet”. Therapeutic dosages of L methionine should not be taken for longer than three months and are listed as 840mg to 1000mg depending on gender, health, and body weight. L- Methionine should be balanced with choline, inositol, B5 and B12. Caution should be used as methionine can convert into homocysteine, which elevates cholesterol levels and can lead to atherosclerosis. Please conduct your own research and consult your physician before beginning any supplementation program.
Zenity
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
Good info here:

http://www.smartsport.info/index.php?option=com_kunena%26Itemid=101%26func=view%26catid=3%26id=860
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
Anyone heard of the chinese herb: Ho-shou-wu? It's supposed to help with graying hair, among many other benefits.

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/hoshouwu.htm

It's in this product, HairVive: http://www.activeherb.com/hairvive/
jedder
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:16 am      Reply with quote
Good find zenity.
Dr schallreuter is the inventor of the pseudo catalase cream for vitiligo too.
Steffita
5% products discount

Sun May 16, 2010 4:46 am      Reply with quote
Okay, maybe something totally different, but talika relaunched their eyelash product and added an extract coleus.
There has been research on coleus and increase in melanin production. And the trials have shown that 100 % of the people with blonde or light lashes had a very noticable increase in lash darkening.
Of course this would work on bigger areas but I think you can make something effective ( like a hair lotion, cream,....) yourself. I just don't know how or where to start. But If there's been significant research that found out it significantly darkened lashes. It could be a big step forward.

http://www.talika.com/PDF/Lipocils-Expert-Tests-EN.pdf
Zenity
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 16, 2010 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
About this active: Coleus forskohlii in talika, I've found this:
http://www.raysahelian.com/forskolin.html

Quote:
Topical forskolin
Treatment with forskolin can promote skin pigmentation and protect against the UV light-induced damage. Fair-skinned individuals do not tan when exposed to UV light due to a defective melanocortin 1 receptor (MC1R) gene -- one of several genes that regulate skin, hair and eye color. The gene plays a key role in determining if a person has red hair, light skin and sensitivity to UV light. However, a functional MC1R is not required to achieve skin pigmentation. Dr. David E. Fisher, from the Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston, and colleagues investigated the effects of UV light in mice lacking a working MC1R gene. UV light exposure induced melanocyte stimulating hormone expression in keratinocytes (skin cells) of these red / blonde-haired mice, but pigmentation did not take place. Melanocytes are a type of skin cells that produce pigment. Topical application of forskolin, however, caused pigmentation to occur without the need for UV light, showing that functional MC1R is, in fact, not required. Testing in skin cancer-prone mice showed that forskolin treatment protected the animals from UV light-induced skin DNA damage. Nature September 21, 2006.

It looks to me like a self-tanner... Really is like the combo of lotions that doc used to get his greys back to its colour. I wonder if by doing this topically on your scalp your skin will turn darker.
If anyone tries this keep us posted!
Zenity
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 16, 2010 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
Zenity wrote:
Jedder,

That makes me think on a patent pendind process involving some topicals to, somehow, produce such an induced release of melanin over the scalp.(Though this point is not that clera to me... I am not sure if is the real melanin thing or an effect similar of what you get with self tanning lotions) The proccess is quite simple and I have been meaning to test it on myself few times but got lazy, and, suspicios... if it was so good, how is that is not marketed yet????
The Dr. who discovered this claim that his hair did not turn grey since using this.... Really??? Same question arises, how is that is not at the market?
I am always arguing between the "believer" in my and the "skeptical" one Very Happy

Since the beggining of this thread I want to do it as now I have the topicals I need, but I don't find the moment. I guess I should give it a try and report back.

Good findings BTW.

What worries me about these methods is about the skin.
If the skin increases melanocytes does make sense that hair follicles do the same.

According to my previous research a doc found accidentally how to use topical tretinoin and ammonium lactate (12%) to increase melanocyte activity producing a self-tanning effect AND reversing greys:

I couldn't find my notes about this subject (it has been a while since I found about it, and can't remember the name of this plastic surgeon... but here is the result of a quick google search.

A patent pending extract describing the process:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5273739.html

I have been about to start this experiment a while ago. I even have the lotions to do it but I keep going back. Intuition or laziness? Confused
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 16, 2010 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
Zenity wrote:
According to my previous research a doc found accidentally how to use topical tretinoin and ammonium lactate (12%) to increase melanocyte activity producing a self-tanning effect AND reversing greys:

Hmm...I can just see myself with a "tanned" halo of skin around the outer edges of my face, plus dark facial hair where it rubbed off while I was sleeping. Embarassed

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 17, 2010 10:39 am      Reply with quote
Tanned halo! lol! People would think those are your dirty ideas leaking out of your head....LOL!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 17, 2010 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
Zenity wrote:
Tanned halo! lol! People would think those are your dirty ideas leaking out of your head....LOL!

LOL...you might be right! Bad Grin

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 19, 2010 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
It is interesting to note that people taking large amounts of glisodin reported their hair darkening. Glisodin increases superoxide dismutase which in turn increses catalase.... both of which reduce hydrogen peroxide. I read these online reports in 2008. Last year scientists made the discovery between hydrogen peroxide and graying. The problem is glisodin is very expensive in large doses.
jedder
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 19, 2010 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
Dr schallreuter said that it is practically impossible for natural catalase extracts to penetrate the skin..... so synthetic catalase was needed. There is a compound that has excellent catalase and superoxide dismutase activity and is synthetic.... it is called EUK 134.The only place i have seen it sold is chemical wholesalers....i would definetely try it if i could obtain it in smaller amounts. I think this and a dermaroller could do the trick?
Steffita
5% products discount

Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:23 am      Reply with quote
any updates on the hair darkening? I've been using the talika for more than a week now. Probably too early to notice results but I'm willing to experiment with other things too. so let me know

ps that glisodin thing: does it also darken non grey hair like blonde, strawberry, red,....hair?
MR001
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
They say jojoba oil is extremely good for the health of your head skin and hair.
But for combatting gray hair, merely put something on hair is not the solution. You should also eat some black niger seed. According to Chinese medicine, that's good for darken your hair and the fitness of body too.
evescafe
5% products discount

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
Massaging the scalp every night with a teaspoonful of Indian gooseberry juice, mixed with a teaspoon of almond oil and a few drops of lime juice, also proves beneficial in the prevention and treatment of premature graying of hair.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:10 am      Reply with quote
I haven't read this whole thread, but I thought I'd just say to anyone out there who is still young - try eating eggs in the morning!

Okay, I know it's not scientific, but I'm sure that's what has staved off my grey hair. I am 47 years old, dark brunette, and I don't have to dye my hair. I have just a few greys, but they are barely visible. The rest of my family (mom, dad and sister) went grey early, so my colour doesn't seem to be heriditary.

I started eating a boiled egg almost every day for breakfast when I was around 30, simply because I'm lazy and it was the easiest grab-and-go item to take to work. The few grey hairs I have now made an appearance then; I was sure I would be white by 40. But they greys seemed to have stopped in their tracks.

Much later I read that hair follicles really love protein, specifically in the morning, so I put my lack of grey down to the eggs!
Zenity
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
Karenlee,

That's very interesting. Could you tell us where did you find that info regarding follicles liking protein taken early in the morning?

Thanks and welcome to EDS Wink
jedder
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:35 am      Reply with quote
Egg whites contain a large amount of catalase...
Steffita
5% products discount

Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:47 am      Reply with quote
I'm opening a new thread on hair darkening, because this is mainly about darkening grey hair, but it's also important to discuss how to darken non grey hair. Thanks
Zenity
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
Good idea, but I guess you mean darken the hair without using dyes or external coloring, right?

Also, could you post the link to the new thread you're opening?
Steffita
5% products discount

Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:52 am      Reply with quote
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=38673

Here it is
Zenity
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:23 am      Reply with quote
Gosh! This two threads are obviously linked:

Here is what tarapaca wrote on the thread Stef just opened:

Quote:
I use folligen, which contains copper peptides, and the hair regrowth I've seen so far has been dark brown rather than gray. I only use it where my hair is thinning, so have no idea if it would work all over.
havana8

Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:48 am      Reply with quote
Just sharing this post from Angela from another thread:

AngelaE8654 wrote:
I am 47 and would like to maintain my natural strawberry blonde haircolor as long as possible (and use several supplements to do this) and one thing I added recently was Catalase XP. It doesn't ONLY contain catalase, which is alleged to keep one's hair from graying but it also has a pretty good list of 'good for you' ingredients, which is one thing that made me decide to go ahead and use it.

https://www.getcatalasexp.com/Catalase-XP-About.dtm

Edited to add:

Regardless of taking several supplements, I was getting some gray strands in the left front portion of my hair and some in my bangs. Those appear to have pretty much gone away (or are a lot less noticeable) since taking the Catalase XP; I've been taking it for about four months now.

Anyone else try this? I would love to hear more about it! Smile
AngelaE8654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:29 am      Reply with quote
I did recently start the Catalase XP but I've been taking other things for a while to hopefully keep gray at bay. Those things are:

L-methionine
Fo Ti (He shou wu)
Pueraria Mirifica
Liquid Sulfur

I get the Fo Ti tablets (as well as everything else but the Pueraria Mirifica) from Swanson Health products but I have found that the actual Fo Ti tea bags work much better. They are hard to get, however. I am 47 and have many colors in my mainly strawberry blonde hair but not much gray. I had some gray strands near my hairline on my left side but those seem to have gone away. I've never colored my hair in my life. My sister is 36 and has quite a bit of gray in her dark brown hair. She's had the gray for at least 5 years.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
unsulphured blackstrap molasses.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:07 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |