Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Micro-current devices vs manual facial exercises...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:28 am      Reply with quote
These competitions were on the American scene, it was international competitions held in the US. Like many things in bodybuilding, there is often a secret underground knowledge that doesn't get written up. For example I have heard some great stories about pre contest preping, that I absolutely loved where people used different techniques to get into their zones, but if you look at literature, there is never any mention of these.

Also I suppose they can't write things up like EMS for dangers of legal action and slander etc being brought against them/publishers.
cm5597 wrote:
Cool! Thanks, Sean Smile I've only followed the American bodybuilding scene, so I was unaware that a few famous Russian, Japanese, and Swedish bodybuilders use EMS. I still suspect they are just are using it for muscle toning and recovery, not muscle building. This is not to say EMS is good or bad, but rather to just be as correct as possible as what works specifically for what, so that people can get the best results Very Happy I don't have a particular angle on EMS, as I've never tried it, but I know that different people have different needs as regards muscle toning, muscle isolation, and muscle building, so I just felt strongly that we should all contribute whatever pieces of information that we have to the discussion, so that people can have as much information from a variety of sources as possible. Additionally, most usefully, hopefully more people who have actually had experience with both can chime in! Smile As you and Toby have so well said, EMS may work better for some people and/or for certain applications, whereas facial exercises of varying types may work better for other things. Best of luck to all Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
The only thing that worked in a reasonably short time (a few months) was facial exercise and I see improvements on a regular 3 month basis I would say. It's the most encouraging thing I've done and I would give up all of my skin care and anything else before I would give up facial exercise.

Is that manual facial exercises, sister sweets or do you do some type of EMS as well?
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
I don't have any EMS devices but am a faithful user of facial exercise: Ageless and Flex effect as well as a bit of Carole Maggio.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:33 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
I don't have any EMS devices but am a faithful user of facial exercise: Ageless and Flex effect as well as a bit of Carole Maggio.

Thanks! I did Ageless for about 6 months, but didn't do as well as some...

Glad it works for you. Smile
semayden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
Sean, when you met Tina Richards, you've said that she had amazing skin. Did she have amazing muscle tone as well? That's pretty important to me! Very Happy
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:02 am      Reply with quote
Yes both her muscles and skin were fantastic. They weren't bulked up as when I have seen Deb or Eva Fraser, but they were toned, she looked great!
semayden wrote:
Sean, when you met Tina Richards, you've said that she had amazing skin. Did she have amazing muscle tone as well? That's pretty important to me! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:25 am      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:
Yes both her muscles and skin were fantastic. They weren't bulked up as when I have seen Deb or Eva Fraser, but they were toned, she looked great!

Sean, when you say the word "bulked up", are you meaning it to have positive, negative, or neutral connotations? More specifically, did it look like Tina has

(a) good muscle tone and good facial volume, and equally good as Deb and Eva, but in a different way.
(b) good muscle tone and good facial volume, but Eva and Deb still looked better in your opinion
(c) good muscle tone but slightly lacking volume in her face (slightly underdeveloped)?
(d) good muscle tone but seriously lacking volume in her face (thin and tight)?

Sorry, I wasn't sure how I should understand your exact meaning. Thanks so much! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:46 am      Reply with quote
I’m not intending it to have any connotations at all (positive or negative) and would rather not get caught in arguments over who looks better or worse, as all the names you mention have their own strengths.

Its kind of like comparing apples and pears for me. All the above have pictures on their websites so I think people should make up their own minds.

Sean

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:04 am      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
SeanySeanUK wrote:

Sean, when you say the word "bulked up", are you meaning it to have positive, negative, or neutral connotations? More specifically, did it look like Tina has

(a) good muscle tone and good facial volume, and equally good as Deb and Eva, but in a different way.
(b) good muscle tone and good facial volume, but Eva and Deb still looked better in your opinion
(c) good muscle tone but slightly lacking volume in her face (slightly underdeveloped)?
(d) good muscle tone but seriously lacking volume in her face (thin and tight)?

Sorry, I wasn't sure how I should understand your exact meaning. Thanks so much! Smile

Interesting comparisons. For my money, I don't want bulk anywhere but on the cheeks and a bit of upper lip. The rest will be fine just toned and fantastic. Very Happy My opinion on this is that some appear to me to have over-built facial muscle. As with body bulk some will admire it and some won't. I, personally, don't. But, each to their own... Neutral
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:22 am      Reply with quote
Sure, thats an opinion and your entitled to it, but the trouble is that when I have said things innocently in the past, words can often be given an additional or hurtful meaning where there was no intention of doing so - so I tend to shy away from making such comments about people. Its kind of like comparing facial exercise systems, in my mind they are all valid, and different ones work for different people which is great. Smile [quote="semaydenInteresting comparisons. For my money, I don't want bulk anywhere but on the cheeks and a bit of upper lip. The rest will be fine just toned and fantastic. Very Happy My opinion on this is that some appear to me to have over-built facial muscle. As with body bulk some will admire it and some won't. I, personally, don't. But, each to their own... Neutral[/quote]

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:30 am      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:
I’m not intending it to have any connotations at all (positive or negative) and would rather not get caught in arguments over who looks better or worse, as all the names you mention have their own strengths.

Its kind of like comparing apples and pears for me. All the above have pictures on their websites so I think people should make up their own minds.

Sean

Sure, I totally understand. I just wanted to clarify, since I know many people often associate negative connotations to the word bulky. But I know you admire both Deb and Eva, so then I was wondering whether you then were using the word "bulky" in the opposite sense, as youthful fullness and as a very positive term, implying that Tina could do with more volume in her face. Hence my wonderings Smile

But now I realize that I was doubly wrong in trying to figure out what you were saying Smile.

I don't think most people would mind if you made tactful comments on what seems to be working, based on people's faces...but I totally understand about the "misunderstandings" and how easy it is to misunderstand or think someone else is discounting the results of a particular system, even though you see merits to them all.

Anyhow, that's why I asked what you meant, because I think many people associate bulky with negative connotations, and I was pretty sure you didn't mean any such thing Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:43 am      Reply with quote
I’m glad you understand. Actually its because of my comments in the past I have learned the hard way its best not to make any comments on such things, as things can get greatly expanded upon or exaggerated from what was originally said.

I know I have had people pass on comments made about my photos before from other people (and even though the words may have been changed to be insulting, it was still a compliment compared to some of the things I have been called). But at the end of the day everyone is entitled to their own opinion and shouldn’t be lead to any conclusion on my words alone.

Sean

cm5597 wrote:
SeanySeanUK wrote:

Sean

Sure, I totally understand. I just wanted to clarify, since I know many people often associate negative connotations to the word bulky. But I know you admire both Deb and Eva, so then I was wondering whether you then were using the word "bulky" in the opposite sense, as youthful fullness and as a very positive term, implying that Tina could do with more volume in her face. Hence my wonderings Smile

But now I realize that I was doubly wrong in trying to figure out what you were saying Smile.

I don't think most people would mind if you made tactful comments on what seems to be working, based on people's faces...but I totally understand about the "misunderstandings" and how easy it is to misunderstand or think someone else is discounting the results of a particular system, even though you see merits to them all.

Anyhow, that's why I asked what you meant, because I think many people associate bulky with negative connotations, and I was pretty sure you didn't mean any such thing Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
I found this level of detail about the Tua Viso on Tina Richard's site, and thought people may be interested. Here is part of the text, with the link below that:

'The extremely advanced miniaturized electronic circuitry of Tua Viso generates trains of modulated sinusoidal wave pulses which are specific for delicate facial muscles and indicated by a green LED. Thanks to their particular form and frequency, these waves induce precise muscular exercises, in complete comfort even at high intensity and with extremely evident movements.

Tua Viso exploits a high-frequency sinusoidal wave current (7500 Hz), which produces a very valid muscle contraction before any unpleasant sensation is felt. This way, the stimulation is both effective and very pleasant at the same time.

The intensity of the impulse produced is adjustable so either very delicate or very intense contractions can be obtained: such contractions are clearly visible and will guide you during operation. What is more, the contraction rhythm (3-second muscle contractions with equally long intervals) has been studied and fine tuned to ensure that facial muscles are toned up as quickly as possible. Clinical studies show that facial muscle increases in volume after about ten sessions of Tua Viso electrostimulation; each session lasting only a few minutes'.

http://www.tinarichards.com/products/tua_viso/tua_viso_electrostimulation/

I actually send her a message the other day asking for help with choosing between the Tua Viso OR the Tua Trend, and saying I wasn't sure either would help me. I haven't heard back yet. Will let you all know when I do. Very Happy
lisacollins00
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried the Stimulec Facial Plus. It seems to be an alternative to the TUA Trend at a lower price.

http://www.win-health.co.uk/stimulec-facial-plus-microcurrent-face-lift.html
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
semayden wrote:
I found this level of detail about the Tua Viso on Tina Richard's site, and thought people may be interested. Here is part of the text, with the link below that:

Tua Viso exploits a high-frequency sinusoidal wave current (7500 Hz), which produces a very valid muscle contraction before any unpleasant sensation is felt. This way, the stimulation is both effective and very pleasant at the same time.

Thanks Semayden, I missed the part above which is interesting. I don't like to use the Tua Viso anything above 3 (out of 10) as the twitch is too strong but it's good to know that when I start to use it again (I'm on a rest period), even of low settings, it should be doing good. I was thinking of selling mine but will keep hold of it alittle while longer thanks to you!
Jackie284
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

can anyone actually tell what the main differences are between the tua viso and trend ? The placement of the pads look to be pretty much the same for a facial workout,

thanks

Jackie xx
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
lisacollins00 wrote:
Has anyone tried the Stimulec Facial Plus. It seems to be an alternative to the TUA Trend at a lower price.

http://www.win-health.co.uk/stimulec-facial-plus-microcurrent-face-lift.html

I have the Stimulec Facial Plus and the Tua Viso and hands down prefer the Tua Viso. The Stimulec just stimulate with a rotation of pulses not targeted muscle contractions. It is a great massage but I prefer the Tua toning and lifting.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
I must be going mad. I could have sworn I posted a Youtube link here (last night) which showed Tina being interviewed. Could it have been deleted for some reason - or did I put it somewhere else... Rolling Eyes
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
semayden wrote:
I must be going mad. I could have sworn I posted a Youtube link here (last night) which showed Tina being interviewed. Could it have been deleted for some reason - or did I put it somewhere else... Rolling Eyes

You're not going mad....sort of. You posted it on the 'Tua viso users....' thread!

semayden wrote:

Hey, look what I found! It was put on Youtube in 2008 but I don't know when it was made - and have no idea how old Tina is in the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAXll96wPNw&feature=related

semayden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
This is Miranda wrote:
semayden wrote:

You're not going mad....sort of. You posted it on the 'Tua viso users....' thread!

semayden wrote:

Hey, look what I found! It was put on Youtube in 2008 but I don't know when it was made - and have no idea how old Tina is in the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAXll96wPNw&feature=related

He he, I knew it was somewhere around here... thanks Miranda. You're a pal!
decent
5% products discount

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:18 am      Reply with quote
Hello everyone! My jaw line and my chin don't look noticeable now like it used to be. My eyebrow bone are not defined anymore. I didn't reshaped my eyebrows just for some FYI. My eyelids are drooping esp. the right. This is the reason why I become shy with the camera. It's a long story to tell... Guys, could you help me decide which facial exercise program or device to choose? I prefer the exercise though. My target is to improve my eye and jaw appearances. Thank you so much. Very Happy
Creamcheese 123
5% products discount

Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:57 am      Reply with quote
I'd like to share an observation this past Spring. I do serious bodybuilding (though not competively). I over-extended my left arm in one exercise.By the end of the day I couldn't use my left arm, it was my shoulder. The chiropractor, told me I would not be able to use it at its fullest, I needed to do everything minutely until it healed. Which she estimated would take a few weeks.
I was concerned about my muscle tone and the sculpted look I had achieved. At 62 I wear short sleeves with impunity. I pictured myself 3months out. A right arm molded and buff and a left arm puny and emaciated. I recoiled in horror to the very thought.
Meanwhile the D.O.C. had me purchase an EMS to aid in rehabilitation. I used it daily.

It took four months to be able to use my arm fully.To my amazement and pleasure, the left arm stayed pretty toned and muscular. I attribute this to the EMS. It was not comparable totally to the right fully used arm, but it certainly still allowed me to be envied by all my girlfriends and to retain my title of Killer Arms!
I was so surprised by the results that I figured this could also apply to my face. I bought a Slendertone Face and I do declare that my face is now seeing some lift and toning, might I add sculpting? I do some facial exercises and they give me my Killer Cheeks, but the EMS has been an added bonus. I am an advocate of both.
And a poster Girl to prove it! IMO, EMS does build some muscle.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:11 am      Reply with quote
How are you so sure its building muscle? I did the TV and it did nothing really major for my face, and I found the sponges and placement things more annoying than anything else so gave it up. But in your example, your arm was strong already so I can completely understand how EMS would keep the muscles from atrophying in that case, but I'm not so sure I can see it actually being able to build muscle.

Don't get me wrong, not again EMS, just trying to understand it more. I know its used by some doctors for people with bells palsey, but they usually don't have voluntary control of their muscles so are unable to do facial exercises and EMS is the next best thing for that, but to actually build muscle I'm not so sure I can see how it could achieve that. I'd love to see photos though if your willing to share!
Creamcheese 123 wrote:
I was so surprised by the results that I figured this could also apply to my face. I bought a Slendertone Face and I do declare that my face is now seeing some lift and toning, might I add sculpting? I do some facial exercises and they give me my Killer Cheeks, but the EMS has been an added bonus. I am an advocate of both.
And a poster Girl to prove it! IMO, EMS does build some muscle.
Creamcheese 123
5% products discount

Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:35 am      Reply with quote
Greetings ,TheresaMary

My whole story is that 3 years prior I had a knee replacement that kept me in pain ,depressed and immobile for 5 months, 4 months out I lost most of my muscle mass in my calves and arms . I was not exercising at all. Getting through each day with my crisis was all I could do.

When I resumed exercising I was discouraged with pert near all my hard work lost! I persevered with determination and was back to fit and muscle bound. ( I'm not grossly rippling and veiny like people you see in the magazine, I'm more very defined)

So when I heard how long this shoulder injury was going to take, I already new what 4 months of not working that arm was going to do!! I had seen it before.

Now mind you, I totally did not lift any thing with the left arm for 2 months , I simply did brief small non invasive exercises assigned by the Chiropractor. I could not move it back, sideways or up.Three months out still no lifting only added exercises confined to the arm.Fourth month I was starting to exercise with 2 pound dumbbells, which does nothing to build muscle.

I can only explain the lack of muscle loss to the EMS device. Its just a humble observation. Maybe there is no correlation. But I now find my sag lifted on my face. And what lifts sag but muscle. Maybe its the syndrome of "the sun rising because the rooster crows". Perhaps All the changes were going to happen anyway, irregardless of the device both for my face and biceps. Just like the sun rises irregardless of the rooster.Simply sharing my experience and trying to find an explanation. Came up with one that ,I believe, might fit.
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:37 am      Reply with quote
Very impressive, Creamcheese..what were you using to build up your arm muscles while recuperating/rehabilitating.

glad these devices are working well for you..as with everything on this forum..certain devices/products work for some and not for others

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |