Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
topical niacinamide
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
natefan87
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
hey everyone, i saw a discussion in a previous thread (it had to do with retin-a irritation) about using a topical niacinamide cream and how it helped with the skin (even tone, acne etc).

I was wanting to know more about this, like who has used it, what were your results and where can i buy it??

Thanks!
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
I am a huge Niacinamide fan. I have mild rosacea- the redness part, not the acne- and Niacinamide is essential for me, in order to use retinoids. You can find it in NIA 24 which I buy here. The Niacinamide in NIA 24 is stronger than the Niacinamide in some Olay products. It has a lipid attachement which allows the niacinamide to penetrate better into the deeper layers of the skin. NIA 24 is a bit pricey but you only need a bit to get the benefit. I use less than a dime size on my face.
It has helped me with redness and irritation, evened out my skin tone, and increased the moisture levels of my skin, making it more hydrated and plump looking. Results do not happen overnight, but if you give it a few months, you will be pleasantly surprised. At first you should start slow, ie once a day, and then start using it both morning and night. I first use NIA 24, then i wait a half hour, then add some Tazorac overtop.I think you could probably add the Retinoid first too though.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
I use tretinoin (generic Renova) in the night time and NIA24 Skin Strengthening Complex in the daytime as a moisturizer. I have also made my own Niacinamide/N-acetyl glucosamine serum with hyaluronic acid as a base and mixed with a drop of emu oil for application(both hyaluronic acid and emu oil are penetration enhancers and I know that the Niacinamide is having an effect because I get tingling of the skin and flushing at the 4% concentration). Whilst I like the concept of combining Niacinamide with NAG, I do not like the other ingredients of the Olay product (eg polyacrylamide etc) so the homemade serum is a compromise.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
What NIA24 products do you guys use? I am finishing a very long regimen of Obagi Nuderm and was thinking about incorporating some of these products into my maintenance routine. Thanks for sharing!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:38 pm      Reply with quote
I use the skin strengthening complex as well. That is the only one I use. I tried the NIA sunscreen but it was too mattifying for me and it was hard to remove with cetaphil, and I didn't want to switch to a harsh cleanser. Also its a pure mineral sunscreen so the PPD is not that high. But I know some people who really like it.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:45 am      Reply with quote
I didn't like the NIA24 sunscreen either. Although it's touted as a cheaper way of getting the Niacinamide but it didn't sit well on my skin and as mentioned, the PPD is not that great, so I would rather use the Skin Strengthening Complex. It works well for my combination skin as a moisturizer.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:18 am      Reply with quote
I have used the sunscreen briefly, and I really liked its texture and how it looked on my fact. Unfortunately, I think I'm sensitive to something in it, because I got an angry red rash from it! Not a breakout, just a lot of little red marks. So I've been reluctant to try the other niacinamide products just in case its that ingredient that caused my reaction. Really too bad, though, because it has had such good effects for some here.

(thinking of ordering anyway and taking a chance...)

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:39 am      Reply with quote
flitcraft,

I've had the same problem using both the sunscreen and the skin strengthening complex. I only use them on the back of my neck which is very sun-damaged, but they both break me out to some degree. I finally figured out those were the culprits when I stopped using them for awhile.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:42 am      Reply with quote
What a shame, skippie, since I do believe in the efficacy of niacinamide. And I thought I was the only one! Really too bad...

Well, you just saved me the cost of another experiment. Thanks for confirming that for some of us, niacinamide seems to be a no-no.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
If you want to use it in combination with an AHA product, how long do you have to wait to assure the pH is not too acidic for the niacinamide?
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
Monica34 wrote:
If you want to use it in combination with an AHA product, how long do you have to wait to assure the pH is not too acidic for the niacinamide?

If your acid product is very strong and has a very low pH, I would give it a wait time of around 30 minutes. It would probably be best to use them in separate sessions though (eg AHA at night, niacinamide in the morning or vice versa).
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks - in general, are you supposed to use the niacinamide-glucosamine serum just once daily?

Or is twice, morning and night, better?
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
Monica34 wrote:
Thanks - in general, are you supposed to use the niacinamide-glucosamine serum just once daily?

Or is twice, morning and night, better?

I think it would vary for different people. If you want faster results, I suppose you can use it twice daily. But if you have sensitive skin or using other strong actives, then once a day would probably be sufficient. I only use it once a day.
*mirjana*
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:42 am      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:
I use tretinoin (generic Renova) in the night time and NIA24 Skin Strengthening Complex in the daytime as a moisturizer.

I talked with my pharmacist yesterday about this matter and she recommend me Avene Clean-Ac Hydrating Cream for daily moisturising for case of using Retin A. She said that by her experience this cream works excellent.

But in the ingredients I can't find any mentioning of niacin or niacinamide

Question

Anybody knows something about this cream?

Ingredients
Water (Agua), Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Carthamus Tinctorius, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed OiI (Carthamus Tinctorius), Butylene Glycol, Sucrose Stearate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Glycerin, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Sucrose Distearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Acrylates C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, BHT, Bisabolol, Butylparaben, Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, Crosspolymer, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance (Parfum), Isobutylparaben, Isopropylparaben, Phenoxyethanol, Triethanolamine, Xantham Gum, Zinc Gluconate.

Thanks in advance Smile

Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:30 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |