Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

essential oils
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
doinita
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:56 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone know where to buy pure essential oils at good prices?Thanks
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:59 am      Reply with quote
Mountain Rose Herbs.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:18 am      Reply with quote
Here is a link to DIY recipes Havana8 put together for us, what a load of work!
Near the bottom is a list of suppliers for everything including essential oils.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

HTH
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:22 am      Reply with quote
This is a good question. I am interested in the input on reliable therapeutic grade EOs suppliers.

I was looking into it recently with focus on internal EO intake. From what I understand the info on a label does not necessarily reflect actual contents, and the best thing to go by company reputation. Many companies add synthetic content, or dilute EOs while putting labels such as "pure" or "therapeutic". Somebody involved with EOs told me that there are only 2% of EOs on the market are really therapeutic grade, e.g. best quality suitable for internal use.

There are two companies in US that are trustworthy, and supposedly sell best grade oils, unfortunately they are very expensive. One company is Young Living, and the other one doTerra. doTerra broke off from Young Living some time ago because they in turn felt that at some point some batches of Young Living EOs were not the highest quality as it should be. Both companies heavily sell though their consultants, and I do not feel that good about their selling approaches. Nevertheless I got some of doTerra's oils.

Even if EOs do not contain any synthetic matter it is still not that simple to get the right EOs. Good EOs should be produced from the right plant parts, during particular time of the season (when the thought after properties are in their prime), should be processed in a timely manner (so that the properties are not lost because of the time delay), right temperature, etc. In other words the entire process is very important and should be closely monitored.

The companies should test each and every batch with 60 m scale. I looked at mountainroseherbs web site and they state that they sell therapeutic grade oils that are tested, but because of all the info listed above I am on a fence about it.
doinita
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you.
What is the opinion about Oshun from Canada?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
It seems not everyone, even those selling EO's thinks this is a great idea, I think more research is needed, one link add what is said about ingesting EO's
http://www.naturesgift.com/internal-use.htm

Can we use your oils internally?

We do not make claims that the oils should be used internally. In fact, our labels clearly state not for internal use.  Why? Because one large essential oil company has taken to carelessly recommending gross over use of these powerful substances. The oils were never developed for internal use, and it is NOT the most advantageous way to get their benefits.  

Now, I use and have used our oils internally, upon rare occasion, and with great respect for their power.   The ancient greek term "pharmakopea" has two meanings... "medicine' and 'poison'...because anything powerful enough to heal is also powerful enough to do damage.

Our bodies were not designed to metabolize the oils... period...not in their distilled form.  Some people will think nothing of adding multiple drops of an eo to a glass of cold or warm water, and equating it to, let us say, an herbal tea or tisane...where in actuality they are drinking the equivalent of gallons of the tea in that one bottle of water...is this a good thing?  NOT ALWAYS.

I cook with the oils occasionally.  I keep a jar of honey w/ ginger oil in it to add to tea for health reasons. once or twice a season...   and it is two drops of ginger to 8 ounces of honey. that is ENOUGH for the results I need.

The most ardent recommender of Oregano oil that I personally knows recommends it's rare and occasional internal use to combat "big bad bugs"...  flu, etc... but HE recommends one drop of a 10% dilution  on a spoonful of sugar (to get it down...can burn the mucous membranes.)

This rare and "respectful" use of the essential oils is not what I see recommended, and is not what the people asking about internal use have been mistaught.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:07 am      Reply with quote
Actually, I want to buy some EO for my steam sauna, not for internal use.
Thank you for the info, anyway.I appreciated.
Doese anyone used Oshun for sauna or any other supplier?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:14 am      Reply with quote
Here is a brand I am familiar with there are other suppliers I have purchased from as well will post links later, running out the door in a few. This is a brand Whole Foods carries and they are picky about what they carry and purity.

http://www.auracacia.com/

you can order online as well.
I will post other links later.

HTH
DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
My favorite of all time is Young Living. If you get say, orange or something cheap and compare the two you will see the difference.

I used the oshun one a few times, it is pretty good.

I use some of them internally and in cooking. I used to work in a health food store, in the cosmetics section; and the different vendors gave us stuff for free to try out; that was how I saw the difference.
There is another pretty good one called Oshadhi and it is almost as good as Young Living. Young living is multi-level marketed unfortunately.
I am not a fan of auracacia. They arn't any where near as potent or as nice smelling; they are not food grade either, though i suppose you could put a drop of grapefruit in your water, it just seems really flat to me, it does not have the dimension as some of the other brands.
I thought i liked it, until I was exposed to the other brands.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:15 am      Reply with quote
SansSouci572,

I eat a ton of fruits and veggies, plus I have a juicer and the old style Vita Mix so make home made juices and mixes. I also take Garden of Life supplements, if you look them up they are loaded with goodies for the body. With all that I don't need to take the EO's internally. Maybe my nose isn't as sensitive as yours but I find The Aura Cacia brand works quite well in my DIY mixes.

DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:41 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
SansSouci572,

I eat a ton of fruits and veggies, plus I have a juicer and the old style Vita Mix so make home made juices and mixes. I also take Garden of Life supplements, if you look them up they are loaded with goodies for the body. With all that I don't need to take the EO's internally. Maybe my nose isn't as sensitive as yours but I find The Aura Cacia brand works quite well in my DIY mixes.

DM

I don't take EO's because I need them internally either.

If I want some basil flavor though, and don't have any, I use it, but not as a supplement.
If I had a seriously compromised immune system or something I would look into it though. Or say, around a bunch of people with the flu...I would want one that is therapeutic grade.

Some people kind of use them like drugs without doing the basics, like you are saying, having vegetables and all that. I used to be on a forum, and that was all they talked about..say for example, they had "something wrong with them" and it was obvious it was from the way they ate..they would expect the EO to just fix it, instead of changing their diet.

Aura Cacia is not therapeutic grade. Its more for making the house smell nice, etc.
If I was sick, and needed oregano for example, I would not use Aura Cacia. I wouldn't even use it in cooking to be honest, it has a nasty flat taste to it. It does not hold the scent as long either, so i think the cheaper price is just not worth it.

But even the difference in smell was quite noticable, its not me having a better nose;
its the oil, lol...Kind of like canned vegetables and fresh ones, it was a huge difference.

Since I have about 50 bottles of Aura Cacia around, as they gave it to me, I'm not going to waste it, but having it side by side with all the other brands, having 50 of those as well... I would not buy it either. Maybe some teatree for dog fleas or something...

I put it on candles, or powder for the sheets just to use it up.
(I gave a few seminars on eo's for the managers and the public at the store I worked at) and at the time was really into it, even made my own perfumes.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:59 am      Reply with quote
Question for the knowledgeable ladies - which EOs would you recommend for flu prevention for home and office?

TIA

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
I would suggest to go to the Young living site.
They have some that are blended, and if you look at the ingredients list, they show which oils are in the forumulas, so you can then pick out which ones you like and make your own. They tell you which ones are in there and why. Thieves and Purification are two blends that I remember off the top of my head.

The only thing about Young Living, I might have mentioned before, is they are multi-levled marketing...
I ended up joining years ago, because people kept wanting it, and they really did have the best oils ever.
The good thing about multi-level marketing is, after awhile, you end up getting product free.
I had people joining under me, and after about a year or so, I was getting about $100 worth a month free. Even getting pure rose oil, and other pricey ones, jasmine, etc... that is still quite a bit of free product each month.

They made me mad, I had all those people and could not buy anything for a few months, due to financial circumstances, and they dropped me from their entire load, all those people who signed up under me.
I am not a person to go around signing people up for things, I let them come to me.
So that was a big deal to me, that they would not let me just get back in where I was, I had to start over. Not gonna do it. I felt sleezy doing it like that in the first place, they are really pushy. But they did have good oils!
That is why i went ahead and did it.

I would like to find a company i like just as much. Sometimes I think about signing up again, just because they are good oils, I have never seen any others that are as nice.

I degress however...just look at the site to read up the information and make your own using their ingredients list....it is way too long to print out here.
Just plain old lemon works good, to be honest, and its only $3 and a very useful one to have!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
Whatever brand you choose, I personally am not convinced of the safety of using them internally at all. I have read many books over the years so some recomended for colds and flu are:

lemon
tea tree
elemi
marjoram
myrrh
bergomont
rosewood
Ginger
helichrysum
basil
black pepper
eyculyptus
pine
frankinsence
Rosemary
thyme

you can mix a blend to use as an inhalant, use in a diffuser or for a chest rub add when cool to a blend of melted beeswax and oil of choice. The recipe I have calls for 10oz. oil 2oz. beeswax. This can be made thicker if you like with the addition of more wax. As this makes a large amount either use extra instead of vaseline. Or cut recipe.
Melt the wax in double boiler or Pyrex in a hot water bath blend in oil mix until almost cool add EO's when just warm enough to stir as heat evaporates the EO' rapidly.

We all like the brands we like! To each their own! But cooking with essential oils, sorry they are to fragile to withstand heating. From years of research from a multitude of sources.
Just my humble opinion

HTH
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
There are different schools of thought on Essential Oils use:

Three Schools on EOs
* English - massages with diluted EOs
* French - ingestion (internal use of therapeutic grade EOs), also topical undiluted applications
* German - aromatherapy, inhalation

In the US most EOs uses comply with English and German approaches, not so much with French. French approach is not well known in the US. Even more it is quite difficult to find information on internal uses.

People might be willing to provide verbal recommendations on internal use, but not in writing. I was able to get cancer protocols from someone. Essential Oils Desk Reference 3-d edition contains a variety of internal uses for all sort of conditions including cancer protocols. However this part is no longer found in later editions. Used 3-d edition books costs way more then later and nicer looking 4-th edition. But again in US it is mostly about aromatherapy, and topical massages with EOs
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
Ladies,

I did not mean for cooking or internal use.

I am more concerned about getting sick - it is very cold in NYC and considering using public transportation with so many sick people around you ...

Thanks,
sigma

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
sigma - as soon as anyone in my family starts feeling sick we take oregano oil. I am getting Carvacrol-EX from Bio-alternatives. It contains 93% carvacrol:
http://www.carvacrol-ex.com/

I need to look up in my EOs reference books if they recommend anything else.
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
I completely agree with SansSouci572 that EOs quality matters, and it does differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. For both topical use, and even more so for internal use it is better to be on a safer side, and use the best quality oils possible.
SansSouci572
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="DarkMoon"]Whatever brand you choose, I personally am not convinced of the safety of using them internally at all. I have read many books over the years so some recomended for colds and flu are:

lemon
tea tree
elemi
marjoram
myrrh
bergomont
rosewood
Ginger
helichrysum
basil
black pepper
eyculyptus
pine
frankinsence
Rosemary
thyme

you can mix a blend to use as an inhalant, use in a diffuser or for a chest rub add when cool to a blend of melted beeswax and oil of choice. The recipe I have calls for 10oz. oil 2oz. beeswax. This can be made thicker if you like with the addition of more wax. As this makes a large amount either use extra instead of vaseline. Or cut recipe.
Melt the wax in double boiler or Pyrex in a hot water bath blend in oil mix until almost cool add EO's when just warm enough to stir as heat evaporates the EO' rapidly.

I am convinced they work internally, however, I don't see the need to..why, it goes in the skin or you can breathe it just fine!

I would not have thought of several of those you listed to be used for the flu: elemni, and rosewood for example. helichrysum is just way too expensive, I save that one for emergencies!
Sane with Myrh, seems more like a skin one to me, but probably again, as its so expensive, the pines and such are so much cheaper, I save the pricey ones for looking pretty, lol!
I had not thought of bergamot that way either.
I love bergamot!
Really, they are all healing though.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks to all.

Dr. Marshall recommends to gargle with Carvacrol and Lemonene - but you just gargle and spit it out.

Mpstat - how do you use Carvacrol and how does it work for you?

TIA

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
sigma wrote:
Ladies,

I did not mean for cooking or internal use.

I am more concerned about getting sick - it is very cold in NYC and considering using public transportation with so many sick people around you ...

Thanks,
sigma

I agree! In fact, at home, what I do is put my crockpot out, and drop a few cheap but good quality oils in there. Cinnamon is good, lemon..they all purify and if you can't breathe that well, add some kind of tree like pine.
There are immune booster ones you can put a few drops on, on your feet, for example.
Sometimes people get really stinky ones though, like the oregano, and me, I would go for a nice smelling one, haha. Unless I were really sick, then I'd do it at home where nobody would smell me, as it is one of the more powerful ones.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
Sigma the inhalant would be convenient to carry in a small bottle, just open and take a few breaths whenever you like, no blending just mix the oils, do not have to use all the ones I listed. But lemon and tea tree absolutely, put some of each in small dark glass jar and that is it!

HTH
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks you all for all the wonderful ideas.

I can easily try to put some in a glass bottle to carry with me. I just hope it will be enough.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
They are nice for cooking though...
I used lemon and orange in some kind of sauce, and I cannot tell you how nicely it opened up the flavors! OMG!
Same with the basil. However, one time, two drops of basil must have come out by accident instead of one, and an entire pot of tomato sauce had to be doubled to match the basil I had put in there!
I was stunned though, with the citrus flavors. Again, using the good oils, not the cheap ones.
Try it sometime!
Yeah, and add it at the last second...kind of like miso, you don't want to kill the good things in it. Might as well take advantage of the good properties!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
SansSouci572,

Those I listed are listed in a reference book on holistic healing, yes some are pricey some not.
People can choose what is in their price range.
You are untitled to your opinion about Aura Cacia, but they are carried at Whole Foods, knowing a manager of one of their stores they are extremely picky about the brands they carry! They are not cheap price wise. I also find them recommended in almost every book on the subject. Enjoy your preferred brand, I find the quality of Aura Cacia to be just fine for me. I use some other brands as well.

HTH
DM

Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:31 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |