Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS this process of obagi really worth it?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
spinney
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
I need encouragement, this is week 11 starting the19th, of oct., my skin is so red, peeling, i am still striped, i am cracking, along upper jowl area, anddown further on check, i look awfull, i take a day off, use atopalm, still having breakouts, help please. Sad
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
The irritation that often occurs on the obagi system frightens me quite a bit, especially since hydroquinone is often known to cause rebound hyperpigmentation once use is discontinued. I would give your skin a break and let it heal for a week or so and see where that puts you; you'll also be able to see if any rebound effects are going to occur and continue or stop the regime.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
spinney, the only help I can offer is to stick it out. You are almost 3 months in. I am not sure why you are having breakouts. The only thing I can think is that you are still in the "out with the old phase". This can take longer for some people than others. Also, if you are not using the recommended amount of the products and using moisturizers, then that phase will definitely take longer. So, you might not be "done" in 18 weeks if you are taking a less aggressive route. I would put some Aquaphor on areas of your skin that are cracking. That will heal those spots up nicely. Also, don't use the Nu Derm products on any broken areas of your skin. Good luck to you! I will say that almost everyone who uses the products the correct way and for the entire amount of time are usually very happy with their skin at the "end" of it. Very Happy
Blue skies
5% products discount

Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:10 am      Reply with quote
I so know how you feel - I am on week 10 of Obagi Nu derm. I started back on the regime one week ago after having one week off (as I wanted to look good for a big party Embarassed - and everything cleared up and my skin was pale and calm and I was very happy Very Happy

But it is very hard to continue with the regime, as I am now of course bet red and peeling again. And struggling with myself if I should continue or not ... Hope the week-long break has not put me too much off track? I think I will continue but OMG this is difficult Rolling Eyes

And I also HAVE to use moisturising on areas that are sore, typically my chin and sometimes in the evening all over my face ...

Best of luck to you!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:22 am      Reply with quote
That's the reason that I haven't gathered enough courage to try obagi. Why not just give your skin a short break and after it heals I guess your skin would be more adapted to Obagi.
spinney
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:26 am      Reply with quote
rilelygirl, i know you think, putting oil on face once aweek, for 15-25min., is a mistake, but it sure feels good, thanks for letting me know what you think. blue skies, it sure is hard, my skin is so red, dry, flakie, and so darn stripped, i look like i have burns on my face, i took two days off this week, what if the redness never goes away, that worries me, i keep having breakouts, thought this system would stop that, but has not, i am going to keep going, but doing it SLOW, lets keep in touch, please, i counted wrong, this next week is wk. 10 , the exfoderm, wk. 8 , i was late in getting on that, thanks every-one.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:36 am      Reply with quote
spinney wrote:
rilelygirl, i know you think, putting oil on face once aweek, for 15-25min., is a mistake, but it sure feels good, thanks for letting me know what you think.

Yes, you are correct. I believe in using the products as they are supposed to be used per the professionals. However, everyone is different, and has to find what works best for their skin. Very Happy Good luck.
spinney
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks rileygirl, i am still going to need your advice, i is 3:50 pm , i went in to brush my teeth, from a earl dinner, let me say, - if tonite was holloween, i could go as one scarry old women, my gosh, the peeling!!!!I took a pair of tweezers and pulled soooooooo much peelies off, wow. Surprised
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
spinney wrote:
Thanks rileygirl, i am still going to need your advice, i is 3:50 pm , i went in to brush my teeth, from a earl dinner, let me say, - if tonite was holloween, i could go as one scarry old women, my gosh, the peeling!!!!I took a pair of tweezers and pulled soooooooo much peelies off, wow. Surprised

Be careful, spinney. You don't want to pull the peelies off. My nurse always recommended the standing in the shower with face under the water, and gently rub the dead skin off, or the enzyme product from Biomedic. That product is really gentle. A microfiber cloth really works well too if used very gently and I think Kims has great luck with the Clarisonic with the nu derm.
spinney
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
I have the clarisonic, i find it not to do such a great job with the peelies, isn't that odd how it helps with one person and not the other, , i do have a tube of yes to carrots scrub, i wonder would that be okay to try?
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
spinney wrote:
I have the clarisonic, i find it not to do such a great job with the peelies, isn't that odd how it helps with one person and not the other, , i do have a tube of yes to carrots scrub, i wonder would that be okay to try?

Hi Spinney! Sounds like you're having a rough time with Nuderm right now! I don't know anything about the Yes to Carrots scrub, but I would be very hesitant to use it. Another thing I did to help with the "peelies" was to mix a little Exfoderm with the cleanser and use it gently on my face. I also second Rileygirl's suggestion to use Aquaphor. I used it on really raw and irritated areas like around my mouth and chin areas. You may have already answered this, but what percent of Retin A are you using? I think 0.025% would be strong enough for you.

Also, be careful with the tweezers. Removing the loose skin like that can result in scarring! I know you don't want that!

I think the redness and irritation will settle down, but this is a really harsh treatment and can be a rough journey at times.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
I have only used the whole system of Obagi for one month, so I really can't say at this point.
spinney
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:55 am      Reply with quote
Hi, kims, renova 0.025%, from medmex, yeah, as you know, not a easy skincare line to do, can use all the help i can get, i used a dry wash cloth last night, then took a shower, and used a little of the yes to carrots i have, helped a little. I saw rileygirls reply about microfiber cloths, i have many cloths, for cleaning the house, how do the ones from the place differ from others you can buy?
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:19 am      Reply with quote
Hi Spinney,
You might want to check out the microfiber cloth thread going on right now. I've never used them so I don't know a lot about them. Forum members seem to like the ones at NCNproskincare.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Hi Spinney,
You might want to check out the microfiber cloth thread going on right now. I've never used them so I don't know a lot about them. Forum members seem to like the ones at NCNproskincare.

I love the NCN one. It is the best I have used! Spinney, I think some may use the ones you can buy for cleaning and it may work just fine. I agree with kims, maybe check out the microfiber cloth thread and see what everyone else is using!
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:24 am      Reply with quote
Spinney, I did Nu Derm last year and believe me it was worth it!!

Most of my redness and peeling ended at about week 10. When my face got a bit to irritated I would either skip a night of Nuderm or use a moisturizer that night. I tried not to moisturize but I had to use something occasionally.

Good luck to you and try to stick it out.

I did find that the two products that irritated me the most were the Sunfader, which I stopped using and just used the Obagi sunscreen instead and the Exfoderm. I cut down on the Exfoderm to 3 times a week but kept using everything else daily. That really helped Nuderm work better for me.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:25 am      Reply with quote
KELI, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN MY DEAR, I KNOW YOU WERE NOT FEELING WELL, HOW ARE YOU? I TOOK YESTERDAY OFF THE PROGRAM, PUT ATOPALM ON, WOKE UP THIS MORNING, SKIN JUST A LITTLE PINK, NOT MUCH PEELING, FELT SO GOOD, NOW BACK TO PROGRAM!!! Neutral
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:05 am      Reply with quote
I'm so glad your skin is feeling better Spinney!!

I haven't been posting much lately but will be around more starting next week.

Keep it up with Nuderm and just skip a night every once in awhile when your face gets really irritated. You can always make up for the days you skip by using Nuderm for a little while longer. Maybe like 20 weeks instead of 18 weeks. You know what I mean. It makes the regimen more tolerable. Especially if you have social functions coming up where you want your skin to look halfway normal.

I'll talk to you soon!!

Keli

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:24 am      Reply with quote
Thanks keli. Wink
Jeffiner13
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:02 am      Reply with quote
Coconut wrote:
The irritation that often occurs on the obagi system frightens me quite a bit, especially since hydroquinone is often known to cause rebound hyperpigmentation once use is discontinued. I would give your skin a break and let it heal for a week or so and see where that puts you; you'll also be able to see if any rebound effects are going to occur and continue or stop the regime.

I have a question. What do you mean rebound hyperpigmentation?
I have used the system for over a year now and I love it. I just wanted to know what the rebound thing is?

I recently visited my Dr. and she told me to lay off on the clear and sunfader and anything with the hydroquinone....I am thinking of incorporating other Obagi's products into my line. But definitely the results are worth it.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
Jeffiner13 wrote:
Coconut wrote:

I have a question. What do you mean rebound hyperpigmentation?
I have used the system for over a year now and I love it. I just wanted to know what the rebound thing is?

I recently visited my Dr. and she told me to lay off on the clear and sunfader and anything with the hydroquinone....I am thinking of incorporating other Obagi's products into my line. But definitely the results are worth it.

Rebound hyperpigmentation is when the sun spots or brown spots return after one has stopped using the Nuderm products -- or any
others that may have rid the skin of hyperpigmentation. I guess that's why maintenance is such an important part of the Nuderm program.

Have you been doing the entire regimen for a complete year? How long does your doctor want you to stop using products with hydroquinine?

Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:29 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |