Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
Best Starter Retinol cream?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
brooklyn

Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:17 am      Reply with quote
My skin may be too sensitive for Retin A and am starting with a Retinol creme. Here's the list of suggestions from you folks - it is long! could you tell me which one worked for you (for fine lines) and specify your skin type. Thanks!

- Green Creme number 3
- Avene's Retrinal
- PSF Retinol O.5
- RoC Retinol Correxion
- Garden of Wisdom's Retinol Product
- SkinMedica's Retinol Complex
- Afirm 1 or 2
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:35 am      Reply with quote
brooklyn,

I started with Green Cream 6. It worked just fine for me and I have what I consider to be pretty sensitive skin. I have combo skin - quite oily in my T-zone.
oranges
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:25 am      Reply with quote
I also really like philosophy on a clear day retinol cream. It has some other great ingredients in it.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
There is also SkinCeuticals .5% to consider. I started with RX so I cant comment on personal experience with any of the products that you listed but when it comes to retinol products I prefer products that actually list the % so you know what you are getting.

If you feel your skin is sensitive it might be best to start with green cream 3. I think its always best start off with the lowest % and work your way up as needed.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
I have used some of the products you listed.

- Green Creme number 3 - I used 6 and 9. I had serious redness with 9 and did not see results with 6. If you go to the green cream forum; they will encourage you to stick with it (even if your face is a mess).

- Avene's Retrinal - available from doctors or in the US only
- PSF Retinol O.5 - have not tried
- RoC Retinol Correxion - used a tube of the eye cream - no results
- Garden of Wisdom's Retinol Product - have not tried. Beware Markey can have slow shipping.
- SkinMedica's Retinol Complex - have not tried
- Afirm 1 or 2 - have not tried

The retinol product I like the best is either Avene Ystheal or Avene Eulage. I have repurchased many times. I do have quite sensitive skin. I can use the Eulage cream around the eyes. I top it with a little of the Eulage gel and it really does make a difference with fine lines.

Edit to add: Avene is available in Canada at SDM or Pharmaplus stores.
WCSmurfette
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:34 am      Reply with quote
The OTC retinoid I started out with was by Alpha Hydrox called "Retinol Night ResQ".

It is low strength, at .15%, and is inexpensive, around $14. It's a good starting point if you have never used a retinoid before, are wanting to "test" your sensitivity to retinoids, in general, or don't want to try or use Rx retinoids. You can then, move up from there to any number of other brands and retinoid strengths.

Smile
frozenstrawberrypie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:20 am      Reply with quote
I just started on the RoC, it seems pretty mild. Avene is always good for sensitive skins.
*mirjana*
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
Autumn1995 wrote:

The retinol product I like the best is either Avene Ystheal or Avene Eulage. I have repurchased many times. I do have quite sensitive skin. I can use the Eulage cream around the eyes. I top it with a little of the Eulage gel and it really does make a difference with fine lines.

Edit to add: Avene is available in Canada at SDM or Pharmaplus stores.

I just started with Eulage cream tonight, so your info is very useful. I also use it around eyes and can't wait to see what morning will bring Cool

About ROC - I use it for some time (retin-ox) - with no side effects of retinoids at all - so I suppose that those creams are really to mild or just retinol is very buffered - but I didn't see any results or improvements on my skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
Mirjana wrote:

"I just started with Eulage cream tonight, so your info is very useful. I also use it around eyes and can't wait to see what morning will bring Cool"

Sometimes you can find bonus packs with Avene gel (usually 3ml) with the Avene cream. If you have the gel; I apply a little on fine lines. Works very well together.

Do post about your results.
*mirjana*
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:38 am      Reply with quote
Autumn1995 wrote:
Mirjana wrote:

"I just started with Eulage cream tonight, so your info is very useful. I also use it around eyes and can't wait to see what morning will bring Cool"

Sometimes you can find bonus packs with Avene gel (usually 3ml) with the Avene cream. If you have the gel; I apply a little on fine lines. Works very well together.

My eyes looks alright for now, but complete face skin is extremely dry and I think if I going to rub it - there be some flakes.
OK - that's mean that my skin is reacting on retinoid inside.
So, what will be when I will try with Retin A as I planned to? Shock

Few weeks ago I bought Avene soothing moisture mask - it is excellent, I tried it twice - and I think that it will work for me to help in this adjustment time. It doesn't have to be washed - just wiped the excess (if there will be any) and it is good for skin condition like this.
I will try it this afternoon.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
brooklyn,

I started with Green Cream 6. It worked just fine for me and I have what I consider to be pretty sensitive skin. I have combo skin - quite oily in my T-zone.

Yes I to started with Green Cream 6 and liked it, have moved on from it though simply to see if there are better and more affordable options with results.
HTHS
annesun
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
use philosophy for a while, it works
oranges
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:20 am      Reply with quote
The magazine New Beauty has an article about retinol. I was glancing at in the store but Skin Medica Retinol complex was included as one of the better ones. Can't remember all the others. If I make it back to the store I think I will buy the copy of the magizine.
woshididi
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:56 pm      Reply with quote
I am a little bit sensitive with combination skin. I used roc and avene and they all fine.
MarieIG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:30 am      Reply with quote
*mirjana* wrote:
Autumn1995 wrote:
Mirjana wrote:

My eyes looks alright for now, but complete face skin is extremely dry and I think if I going to rub it - there be some flakes.
OK - that's mean that my skin is reacting on retinoid inside.
So, what will be when I will try with Retin A as I planned to? Shock

Few weeks ago I bought Avene soothing moisture mask - it is excellent, I tried it twice - and I think that it will work for me to help in this adjustment time. It doesn't have to be washed - just wiped the excess (if there will be any) and it is good for skin condition like this.
I will try it this afternoon.

If you are dry and are thinking Retin A - get the Renova, Retin A in a cream base, low concentration - .025.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:19 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |