Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

So what is topical Vitamin C good for?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Peggotty
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
I'm starting out the anti aging process now that I am 30 and I have been reading around the board that it seems that the standard to start out with is Vitamin A and Vitamin C. I have read the collagen producing properties of Vitamin C, but I'm still not sure what Vitamin C is good for in the skin? Does it also help with wrinkles and collagen? I was using it for a while (actually using an oxidized serum. I didn't know it was oxidized until I came to this board. I thought it was supposed to be brown!) Anyhoo, I wasnt sure what I was using it for other than an added skin protection from the sun.

Like I said, it seems that the consensus I see on this board is that Vitamin A and C are good. What else should I incorporate (besides a good SPF)?

Thanks again to all the very smart ladies on the board.
Jentle
5% products discount

Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:57 am      Reply with quote
First of all you need to know about the types of vitamin C that are used in skin care preparations. Not all Vitamin C is created equal. I read SuperNatural Solutions to Adult Acne and Aging recently and she explained it really well. You should only use products with one of two kinds of vitamin C: Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate or Ascorbyl Palmitate. Other forms of vitamin C are unstable and are free radical generators that will cause more harm than good. The best products will incorporate nano-technology to get the C into the aged, damaged cells to repair and pump up collagen production. One company, Arbonne has a whole line of vit C products that claim they can boost collagen production over 300% in 6 months. That's huge. Haven't found anything better. supernaturalskincom for book
Peggotty
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
sooo
Vit C also helps with collagen production? Got it! Anything else I should start incorporating into the routine?
flyflyonly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
I think most of people use vitamin c to make skin whiter.
Besides, I can not tell any other effect that vitamin c could do.
kikiw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:28 pm      Reply with quote
I think Vit C helps bightness, fine lines and collagen production.
Jentle
5% products discount

Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:50 am      Reply with quote
I'm quoting the book "Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (MAP) is converted by the skin to a biologically active form of vitamin C that stimulates living cells in the dermis, and regulates melanin production. MAP improves skin clarity by balancing pigmentation, performs free-radical-fighting antioxidant action, AND increases collagen and elastin production and ground substance (improving the strength and elasticity of the skin.)" Ascorbic acid on the other hand can not penetrate the skin, but can certainly irritate it--it is acid--and is potentially harmful due to fast oxidation and release of free radicals ." when the MAP is delivered using nanotechnology, the results are astounding. This isn't some DIY kitchen serum.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:52 am      Reply with quote
Peggotty wrote:
Anyhoo, I wasnt sure what I was using it for other than an added skin protection from the sun.

Like I said, it seems that the consensus I see on this board is that Vitamin A and C are good. What else should I incorporate (besides a good SPF)?

Here are a few articles on topical C from smartskincare that you can read.

http://www.smartskincare.com/treatments/topical/vitamin-c-vitamin-e-ferulic-acid.html

http://www.smartskincare.com/treatments/topical/anhydrous_vitc_combo.html

http://www.smartskincare.com/treatments/topical/vitcderiv.html

And a little more info:

"Vitamin C, also known by its chemical name (ascorbic acid), plays an important role in healing wounds in the skin and in preventing scurvy. There is strong evidence that applying topical vitamin C will help "rejuvenate" the skin and make it appear younger by activating the oxidizing influences to which the skin is subjected.

Vitamin C (found in citrus fruits and vegetables) is the simplest form of antioxidant. Antioxidants may help prevent skin damage from free radicals, a dangerously mutant form of oxygen that in large doses (from pollution, sunlight, etc..) can break through the membrane that protects the skin's cells and cause inflammation, visible lines and wrinkles, among other damage. Vitamin C helps accelerate skin healing.

Topical vitamin C must be in the form of L-ascorbic acid to be useful to the body and skin. Recent studies indicate that vitamin C derivatives do not perform the same way as topical L-ascorbic acid. These studies show that derivatives are either not absorbed or not converted to L-ascorbic acid in high enough concentrations to have an effect. L-ascorbic acid is unstable and tends to break down rapidly, reasons why it is so difficult to produce for cosmetic preparations. Wanting to offer vitamin C products, many companies have used derivatives of vitamin C, such as ascorbyl palmitate and magnesium ascorbyl phosphate. Derivatives are easier to stabilize, but they are not L-ascorbic acid, which is the only form of vitamin C the body can use.
"
myamax
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:14 am      Reply with quote
The book Jentle references indicates magnesium ascorbyl phosphate as being the 'wonder form' of Vit. C...yet Rileygirls post notes the opposite (notes it is L-ascorbic acid that is useful to the body).

It is difficult to wade through the available and sometimes conflicting literature on this subject!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:07 am      Reply with quote
myamax wrote:
The book Jentle references indicates magnesium ascorbyl phosphate as being the 'wonder form' of Vit. C...yet Rileygirls post notes the opposite (notes it is L-ascorbic acid that is useful to the body).

It is difficult to wade through the available and sometimes conflicting literature on this subject!

I personally would stick to more scientific sites to get your information from. Skin enzymes have to convert Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate into Ascorbic Acid. There is a ton of information here on the forum on topical C, it will just take your time as you have to search for the info!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:07 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Miss Riley,
Great links and information! Guess I will stick with my ascorbic acid per application for now!
Very Happy
DM

PS You should post this on the 2 DIY Vitamin C threads, might be of great interest to a lot of people trying to decide what to use in their recipes.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Peggotty wrote:
Anyhoo, I wasnt sure what I was using it for other than an added skin protection from the sun.

Here are a few articles on topical C from smartskincare that you can read.

http://www.smartskincare.com/treatments/topical/vitamin-c-vitamin-e-ferulic-acid.html

http://www.smartskincare.com/treatments/topical/anhydrous_vitc_combo.html

http://www.smartskincare.com/treatments/topical/vitcderiv.html

And a little more info:

"Vitamin C, also known by its chemical name (ascorbic acid), plays an important role in healing wounds in the skin and in preventing scurvy. There is strong evidence that applying topical vitamin C will help "rejuvenate" the skin and make it appear younger by activating the oxidizing influences to which the skin is subjected.

Vitamin C (found in citrus fruits and vegetables) is the simplest form of antioxidant. Antioxidants may help prevent skin damage from free radicals, a dangerously mutant form of oxygen that in large doses (from pollution, sunlight, etc..) can break through the membrane that protects the skin's cells and cause inflammation, visible lines and wrinkles, among other damage. Vitamin C helps accelerate skin healing.

Topical vitamin C must be in the form of L-ascorbic acid to be useful to the body and skin. Recent studies indicate that vitamin C derivatives do not perform the same way as topical L-ascorbic acid. These studies show that derivatives are either not absorbed or not converted to L-ascorbic acid in high enough concentrations to have an effect. L-ascorbic acid is unstable and tends to break down rapidly, reasons why it is so difficult to produce for cosmetic preparations. Wanting to offer vitamin C products, many companies have used derivatives of vitamin C, such as ascorbyl palmitate and magnesium ascorbyl phosphate. Derivatives are easier to stabilize, but they are not L-ascorbic acid, which is the only form of vitamin C the body can use.
"

Thank you for sharing. Very informative. I am currently using skincelluarRX VC firm serum and I like it very much.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:20 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |