Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)
Retin A Eye Use - Burning and Redness!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
DuckDuck
5% products discount

Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Everyone!

I've been looking at this website for ages so I decided to join!

I'm 20 years old, but due to my wonderfull genes, I look much older than I am. I already use Retin A for my acne until I read about using it on under eye circles.

I use Retin A 0.1%. I know it's the strongest so I diluted it with eye cream, first I did 50% eye cream and 50% Retin A. Then I moved onto 40 eye cream to 60% Retin A.

My under eyes look darker, the wrinkles are more pronounced and the deep line that I've always had, looks deeper. I'm terrified to go out. I used it on my top and bottom lids! The top lids have more pronounced lines than ever before!

I need some advice and some support from Retin A users...others just don't get it Sad

ALSO, if I stop using Retin A for my eyes and just moisturize A LOT will the lines go away, or do I have to tough it through with Retin A?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
Some may well disagree but if it is making your eye area react that way I would say don't use it there! Try some Emu oil or Avocado oil and give things time to calm down. If you are that concerned get a recommendation to a good dermatologist. Drink plenty of liquids, avoiding alcohol which is very dehydrating.

HTH
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Duckduck,
I think your under eye area is having a typical reaction to retin a. The area may often look dry, crepey, wrinkles or lines appear that you swear were never there before, and any other existing line or wrinkle is heavily accentuated.
It takes some time for the eye area to acclimate. You can use moisturizer or eye cream upon stopping the use of retin a and your skin will return to the way it was. I think it takes at least six months of usage to see results.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
Ok...No Retin A on eyelids! Shock I hope a Doc didn't tell you to do that. That skin is waaaay too delicate and the Retin A could also leach into your eyes. Lay off the Retin A altogether for a week or so, or until your skin recovers then gradually reintroduce it around your eyes (crowsfeet area and under eye, but NOT around lower lids.) You haven't done any permanent damage...your skin is just irritated. Even though you are diluting it, IMHO I wouldn't use the .01% around the eyes (at age 20!) How long have you been using RA?
Ok Duck Duck...Just be gentle on yourself and thanks from coming out of the shadows and quacking Smile

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
I use Renova and I am often tempted to use it under my eyes and on top of my eyelid but I am too scared!
*mirjana*
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
I am using retinaldehyde (Avene Eluage) for a five days now in the low and upper eye area. So far so good - it is just little sensitive and burning a little in the morning when using moisturiser.

But DuckDuck, you are only 20 Sad
I am 44 and need this for some improvement and to slow aging.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
Ahhh! My skin was doing surprisingly well on Retin-A until I decided to do a green clay mask because I thought it would help ease some blackheads out...nope! It completely tore up my skin with tons of peeling and burning. My skin is all clogged and ruddy now. I've really got to be more careful with my skin, I feel like I totally abuse it sometimes.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
Coconut,
Sorry you are having to deal with that! I hope it calms down soon. I think we can all get a bit over zelous at times, but the old adage seems to be true " sometimes less is more"!

Rolling Eyes
DM

5% products discount

Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
Ok...No Retin A on eyelids! Shock I hope a Doc didn't tell you to do that. That skin is waaaay too delicate and the Retin A could also leach into your eyes. Lay off the Retin A altogether for a week or so, or until your skin recovers then gradually reintroduce it around your eyes (crowsfeet area and under eye, but NOT around lower lids.) You haven't done any permanent damage...your skin is just irritated. Even though you are diluting it, IMHO I wouldn't use the .01% around the eyes (at age 20!) How long have you been using RA?
Ok Duck Duck...Just be gentle on yourself and thanks from coming out of the shadows and quacking Smile

so i CAN use it on crows feet and under eyes, but not top lid? thank the lord. I'm deathlyyy afraid of wrinkles. My mother had some issues with her skin and never took good care of it. It's made me an extreme skin fanatic. I was on RA probably 3 years ago for a couple of months, but the peeling wasn't something I could take during high school (ah yes, I'm sure we all remember those horrid, horrid days). Luckily, my doctor reintroduced me to it after she saw all the scars and persistent acne. I must take the "be gentle" more seriously...mother always said patience was a virtue... *quack* :P thanks Smile

5% products discount

Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you all so much! I've been moisturizing and I'm trying bio oil...seems to be okay thus far. Sigh* I know some are shocked that I need it at age 20. But bad skin runs in the family, Sad. I look muchhh older. And I have wrinkles. Well, at least the acne is going away?

must remember "less is more.."

5% products discount

Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
Coconut wrote:
Ahhh! My skin was doing surprisingly well on Retin-A until I decided to do a green clay mask because I thought it would help ease some blackheads out...nope! It completely tore up my skin with tons of peeling and burning. My skin is all clogged and ruddy now. I've really got to be more careful with my skin, I feel like I totally abuse it sometimes.

Oooooh, that doesn't sound too good. I decided to wax once on Retin A...yeah you can just imagine. Masks can be SO tempting. So I gave all mine to a friend and stopped buying them.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:47 am      Reply with quote
When I started using Renova around my eyes they did look a bit worse before they got much better and then the major improvements started but not until at least month 6.

You can avoid the older wrinkly look while using Retin-A or Renova under your eyes by going very slowly. Start with only twice a week and stick with that for a few months, then add another day, say 3 times a week for another 3 months, Keep doing this slowly and you can avoid having your eye area look worse before it gets better.

It's also best to start out with the lower strength Retin-A or Renova, .025%.

Using Renova or Retin-A under the eyes gave me so much improvement to the eye area that no other product ever has. I will never be without Renova or Retin-A around my eyes. The skin around my eyes is used to it now and I can use any strength I want around them. I choose to stick with .05% Renova

I think many people are in such a rush to see improvements that they over do it, thinking if they use it more often or use the highest strength they will get faster better results. Not true with Retin-A and Renova. If you go to strong or too fast all you'll do is hate the way your skin looks and swear off never using the most beneficial product you could ever use on your skin, Retin-A or Renova.

Take your time and start with a lower strength. It will take months for some skins to get used to Retin-A. Using it twice a week is better than not using it at all because you over did it and now you think the stuff is terrible for your skin because "look what it did" It made my skin dry, tight, irritated, crepey and wrinkly looking. It wasn't the product, it was the user of the product not taking it slow and safe. Retin-A and Renova are prescription products.

Sorry I don't mean to sound preachy, but your posts may scare off others who could really benefit from using Retin-A or Renova around the eyes.

To me it was the best decision I ever made involving skincare. !!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:49 am      Reply with quote
keli13 wrote:
When I started using Renova around my eyes they did look a bit worse before they got much better and then the major improvements started but not until at least month 6.

You can avoid the older wrinkly look while using Retin-A or Renova under your eyes by going very slowly. Start with only twice a week and stick with that for a few months, then add another day, say 3 times a week for another 3 months, Keep doing this slowly and you can avoid having your eye area look worse before it gets better.

It's also best to start out with the lower strength Retin-A or Renova, .025%.

Using Renova or Retin-A under the eyes gave me so much improvement to the eye area that no other product ever has. I will never be without Renova or Retin-A around my eyes. The skin around my eyes is used to it now and I can use any strength I want around them. I choose to stick with .05% Renova

I think many people are in such a rush to see improvements that they over do it, thinking if they use it more often or use the highest strength they will get faster better results. Not true with Retin-A and Renova. If you go to strong or too fast all you'll do is hate the way your skin looks and swear off never using the most beneficial product you could ever use on your skin, Retin-A or Renova.

Take your time and start with a lower strength. It will take months for some skins to get used to Retin-A. Using it twice a week is better than not using it at all because you over did it and now you think the stuff is terrible for your skin because "look what it did" It made my skin dry, tight, irritated, crepey and wrinkly looking. It wasn't the product, it was the user of the product not taking it slow and safe. Retin-A and Renova are prescription products.

Sorry I don't mean to sound preachy, but your posts may scare off others who could really benefit from using Retin-A or Renova around the eyes.

To me it was the best decision I ever made involving skincare. !!

Can I ask how near the eye I can go with the gel?
I've just started with the low % tretinoin gel i my face, now I tolerate the gel every evening. Thought I could begin to apply it under my eyes as well, but I'm not sure how near I can go - the gel "travels"?
Should I even start up with a Retin A eye cream instead?

Sara, 36 Swedish. Brunette, brown eyes. Fair sensitive reactive skin, no wrinkles(yet), enlarged pores, some broken caps and get easily sunspots. Oily but dry skin. Ten months with Tretionin 0,025% gel PM, Vita C AM - SC Phloratin and Freulic. Use DeCleor and Dr H right now.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:33 pm      Reply with quote
I was wondering why you are using the highest strength? I started on 0.025%. After one tube, I increased to 0.05% Your skin has to build up tolerance. Maybe you can try to go back to the lowest strength. I don't get the dry burning eyes from using the meds.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:58 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |