Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
sanitary makeup application
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mex0050
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
I know makeup artists are all about keeping brushes clean and free of bacteria...but I can't help noticing that most makeup comes in some type of device that in itself is very unsanitary.

Even if your face and brushes are clean (and I mean who cleans/dries their brushes every day) if you use a lot of makeup the way it is presented (think pressed powders) you're still going to get some bacteria buildup, won't you? If it's a long lasing makeup, I bet this can get pretty nasty. Maybe nasty enough to be a source of acne that seems to be coming from no where.

Do any of you break up your pressed powders that don't come in a loose powder option? Like Benefit Hoola...and pour the stuff on a makeup plate that can be cleaned?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
I use MMU so I have more than a few sets of brushes, I have some that come in pressed form for take along. I do clean my brushes quite often so while one set is drying I use another.
If you have a Salley,s beauty supply they sell moist towelettes in a pack that you can use to clean on the go or anytime you just don't want to wash brushes! They are quick drying and do a great job of cleaning/sanitizing brushes.

HTH
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
I recently heard about this brand for cleaning the makeup itself. I haven't tried it but want to. If you live in Canada they sell it at Murale if you have one in your area.

http://www.beautysoclean.com/home.html
mex0050
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:50 am      Reply with quote
oh wow, I never thought to look for anything like that. Thanks!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:25 am      Reply with quote
The actual makeup cleaner looks great, I just don't know how I would use it with MMU?
But I do have a few pressed MMU's so it might just be worth a shot!
Bacteria Pictures EEWWWWW!

DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:22 am      Reply with quote
I am afraid bacterias are everywhere. There is not a place on your body inside or out and face that is not covered with bacteria. Most are beneficial! A combination of natural skin oils and bacteria can make makeup and makeup application tools stink after a while. I just hate the way my pressed powder becomes after some use. It does not come off on a powder puff like when it is new. I use Jane Iredale products and they are not cheap so throwing the makeup away is not an option. I will have to look into the makeup cleaner! What a great idea!
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:43 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
I use MMU so I have more than a few sets of brushes, I have some that come in pressed form for take along. I do clean my brushes quite often so while one set is drying I use another.
If you have a Salley,s beauty supply they sell moist towelettes in a pack that you can use to clean on the go or anytime you just don't want to wash brushes! They are quick drying and do a great job of cleaning/sanitizing brushes.

HTH
DM

I also use mostly MMU. I have backups of brushes. I wipe off excess powder on a fibre optic cloth and wash weekly with a gentle diluted baby wash. I also use brush guards so my brushes have the proper form.

DM
What pressed MMU do you use on the go? I have Physican's Formula as a finishing powder and a small container of MMU concealer at work. I have a kabuki and a lip/concealer retractable brush.

Just curious if you found a good pressed mineral...
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:43 am      Reply with quote
LOL I know we have them every where, just joking about the pics of them growing on makeup!
That is why I use brushes I even have small travel size (fit in small purse) to use for touch ups and I clean all of my brushes religiously, I never had the pressed MMU go off or smell I don't know if it is because of my obsession of cleaning brushes or the makeup?
But this still appeals to me as we can't see the little bugs with the naked eye!
I hate sponges and and powder puffs, just me!

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:52 am      Reply with quote
I use loose mineral foundation as well. I have a small glass dish that I pour a little foundation to and then dip my brush into the dish to apply. Much cleaner than dipping the brush into the pot of minerals.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:03 am      Reply with quote
Autumn1995,
Sorry I missed your post, I use Pur Minerals pressed compact to take along for touch ups! They have pressed blush eye shadows and bronzers ect. I use Aromaleigh for my at home application.

Pur Minerals:

http://www.purminerals.com

I just got an email from them and they are having a special, if I recall gift with purchase right now. I get so many makeup skincare emails can't remember for sure what the special is!
Sorry!

HTH
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
I don't want to click the link and see scary pictures that will burn into my mind forever, haha. But for what it's worth, I often just scrape a layer away from all my pressed powder makeups from time to time. (This includes shadows and blushes too.)

But I don't sweat it too much, I just try and keep my brushes clean. I think the concern is much more valid for skincare, and for makeup items that contain a lot of moisture, you know?

Plus, I know I used to buy a lot more natural makeups, and the oils in things like lipsticks would go rancid faster. You could tell because the texture would get all weird and gummy.

So oddly, even though I'm sure there are a zillion benefits to more natural products, my move away from natural cosmetics has actually meant my stuff stayed nice longer and didn't get all gross with time. I've never really thought about that before -- kind of a nice consolation prize! Laughing

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
Songbird
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
I just got an email from them and they are having a special, if I recall gift with purchase right now. I get so many makeup skincare emails can't remember for sure what the special is!

DM,

I tried to place an order with them, but didn't see a special offer. Do you think maybe you have to use a specific link to get it?

Thanks

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
OK Told you I get to many it is a kit for 55$ with purchase I will copy email here but on iPhone pic's don't copy!

Limited-Time Kit Ends Soon! Trouble viewing email?
Please add purminerals@enewsletter.purminerals.com to your address book to ensure delivery.

Limited-Time All About the Eyes Kit Ends Soon!

This kit features a collection of eye and beauty essentials
PLUS qualifies for a FREE Beauty in Numbers Eye Palette and gift bag!

Kit Includes:
4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Makeup in the shade of your choice
and the Chisel Brush - your secret to a flawless complexion
Eye Shadow Brush - shade and blend shadows with ease
Eye Defining Pencil in Chocolate Mica - waterproof eyeliner
Mineral Brow Perfection and Brow Brush - sculpt picture perfect brows
Pout Plumping Lip Gloss in Rose Opal - luscious lip shimmer
Triple Impact Mascara - for longer, thicker, fuller lashes
Mineral Melt - nourishing eye and face makeup remover

This kit also qualifies for Free Standard Shipping!

Only $55 ($183 value)
SHOP NOW

Pür Minerals Mineral Makeup
3715 Northside Parkway NW, Building 200, Suite 200 Atlanta, GA 30327 USA
© 2009 Pür Minerals. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy

The Free Silver Drawstring Gift Bag and Beauty in Numbers Eye Palette with any kit purchase offer is only
available through October 31, 2009 at PürMinerals.com. Offer valid only on items listed within the
Kits section of the PurMinerals.com website. This offer cannot be combined with any other
Pür Minerals offer or promotion. Pür Minerals reserves the right to discontinue or modify this
offer at any time. Not valid on prior purchases. One free gift per order.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
The four in one is the pressed compact MMU foundation, conceler, finishing powder don't remember the fourth LOL
The Chisel brush is AWESOME!

HTH
DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
Embarassed Oh My! So sorry DM. Embarassed I thought you meant the special was for Aromaleigh. No wonder I couldn't find it.

Well, now I'm off to check out Pur Minerals. Hopefully some others will take advantage of this.

Sorry again for the misunderstanding. I read too quick. Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
Shock
Songbird,
No problem! I was trying to answer about the pressed MMU, for taking with you! This is my second favorite brand, they have loose as well as pressed! Love theirs for carrying with me to touch up!
Their products are great, the mineral melt works like a OCM but washable! Really great cleanser.
The kit would tempt me but I have too much already!
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
LOL
DM
It still may tempt me the day's not over yet!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, DM so I go to Aromaleigh to place an order thinking I'm getting a special gift w/purchase only to find out I'm at the wrong place hmm for the special. So what do I have to do? I have to check out Pur Minerals to see what the special "really" is. Well, thanks to you Miss DM I am out another $55 Wink

Wow, what a great deal. I only wanted to try the compact, but the kit looked too good to pass up. My wallet is not happy with me at the moment Shame on you but I just couldn't resist.

Wink What will become of my bank account with DM posting on this forum? Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
I am sorry Songbird!
Did you place orders from both? I think you will love all, might hate me.....slinking off to hide now before Songbird hunts me down and kicks my poor old butt!
Shock

DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
LOL, DM. I had to blame someone Wink

Just kidding though. I hope I like everything too and no I didn't order anything from Aromaleigh yet. I ordered their samples a few weeks back and do like them quite well. Although I'm still on the fence about whether I like them more than BE. I just love theirs so much.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
Songbird,
You had me worried LOL Thought I cost you a minor fortune!
I know about getting used to one brand, sort of I own so many! But I ordered the kit too just couldn't pass up that deal!
GLAD I CAN COME OUT TO PLAY AGAIN!
Very Happy
DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

Yes, DM. Your time-out is over.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
Songbird wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

Yes, DM. Your time-out is over.

Thanks, I won't do it again I promise!

Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:36 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |