Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
What Products are on your No-No List?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
kim@ifeelpretty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
My no-no list:
- Clinique
- Estee Lauder (except the cream concealer)
- Cetaphil
- Any cleanser with a pH higher than 5.5
- Anything containing witch hazel, peppermint, cinnamon, menthol, or camphor
- Toners

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
kim@ifeelpretty wrote:
My no-no list:
- Clinique
- Estee Lauder (except the cream concealer)
- Cetaphil
- Any cleanser with a pH higher than 5.5
- Anything containing witch hazel, peppermint, cinnamon, menthol, or camphor
- Toners

Hello Kim,
I am just wondering why Cetaphil is bad for you?
Cat

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
Cetaphil leaves a film on the skin, and can cause clogged pores for some. The pH is close to 7, which is too high to be able to apply BHA/AHA right away.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
I heard about this claim of "leaving a film on the skin" but I never felt that way though... Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
I'm sure some people love Cetaphil - and if it works for them, that's great! Smile

That's why it's good that there are so many different products out there - because not all oily-skinned, acne-prone people get good results with the same products.

But hey, if we could - it would make the search for out HG products shorter - and a lot less expensive, LOL! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
kim@ifeelpretty wrote:
I'm sure some people love Cetaphil - and if it works for them, that's great! Smile

That's why it's good that there are so many different products out there - because not all oily-skinned, acne-prone people get good results with the same products.

But hey, if we could - it would make the search for out HG products shorter - and a lot less expensive, LOL! Laughing

Yes Kim,
But now you make me worry about what you said the PH is too high for AHA/BHA products...hmm...but I still think my IS Clinical Active Serum has no problem to work...
So is the PH thing absolute?
Thanks,
Wild Cat

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
If you apply a BHA/AHA product too soon after using a product with a pH higher than 5.5, you are going to lose a lot of the effectiveness of the BHA/AHA - because it changes the pH of the BHA/AHA, which needs to be in a certain range in order to exfoliate to it's maximum potential.

If you use a cleanser with a higher pH, but you wait 20-30 minutes before applying the BHA/AHA, then you have allowed the pH of your skin to lower enough for the BHA/AHA to be effective.

It will still work to a certain extent if applied right after a high pH product, but it will only be a fraction of what it COULD be doing.

Same goes for a BHA product that has a pH of higher than 3.4 - it's not going to have much exfoliating power at all. And the lower the pH, the more acid is available to the skin. So a 2% BHA with a pH of 1.9 has a lot more available acid than a 2% BHA with a pH of 3.4.

I think Tangal addressed this in a post about ph/wait times. Diana Yvonne also has info about it on her site.

So yes, you may still be getting some 'action' from your products - but it's probably not the maximum you COULD get. If you're happy with your results, then that's all that matters. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
Kim,
I always apply PSF's O2 Rescue Serum before IS Clinical's Active Serum. Do you think the ph level would have changed in some way? O2 serum supposedly enhance the absorption of actives.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know anything about the rescue serum (what it's for or it's pH) - but I do know that BHA/AHA works best when applied on freshly cleansed skin - no other products on the skin before the BHA/AHA - unless it's something like ACV to bring down the pH. If what you apply doesn't evaporate (meaning if it's a serum or a thicker product), then you're going to lose a lot of the action of your BHA/AHA product.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
I looked up the O2 Rescue Serum...

I really don't like to diss products that people like - but I do not believe that oxygen is good for the skin. Skin cannot absorb oxygen, so applying it in a liquid form doesn't offer any benefits - and oxygen applied on the surface of the skin will increase free radical damage. And we all know what that does...

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
Kim,
I am not sure if you saw this thread or not, so I am posting it anyway,
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=9260&highlight=psf+oxygen+serum

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
Scaly measured the ph:
Quote:
I just tested PSF's O2 and it was 6.25 Ph

found here: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=16821&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=zenbiotic+journal+ongoing+review&start=25

hth

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the link. How can I say this diplomatically? I think that most manufacturers have a main goal of trying to sell their products. And I understand this as a business owner. However, just because someone tells me that their product is the best - or that it defies all other data out there - or is just totally different - doesn't mean I'm going to believe it. It may or may not be true (and I'm not saying either way about this product - just talking in general).

I normally disagree with Paula - but in this case, I agree with her. Smile

All of that aside - if the pH of the product is 6.25, then it's too high to apply your BHA/AHA right away & get maximum benefits.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
I guess tomorrow night I will try on the active serum without O2 and see if something different happens... Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
It's not something that you're going to 'see' or 'feel' with just one time. It's something that would show over time.

5% products discount

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:24 am      Reply with quote
No-No List??
ummm...neutrogena mask....I have many pimples after using it...and it waste me many time and money to solve it!! Horrible!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:06 am      Reply with quote
SK-II (unsafe component)
Clinique (because it's suitable for youger oily skin)
Lancom (foundation))
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:24 am      Reply with quote
kim@ifeelpretty wrote:
It's not something that you're going to 'see' or 'feel' with just one time. It's something that would show over time.

Hello Kim,
I just want to compare the absorption rate of the active serum when used with/without O2 Rescue Serum. My skin had the tendency to look more dull when I tried to eliminate O2 serum from my routine. Also, my skin is completely not sensitive and my skin response to actives really fast.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:37 am      Reply with quote
Idea Back to No-No list:

Elemis
Avon
H2O

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
Shez wrote:
MakeupDiva:

could you please share some info on the ABBA shampoo line?

Hi, sorry, I just saw your question.

I really like my shampoo and conditioner from ABBA. I am using the Nourishing Shampoo and Creme Mask Conditioner. My shampoo is sulfate and paraben free. I really like the results I get with using them. My hair is clean, soft, and not weighed down (I have fine long hair).

Here is their website: http://www.abbahaircare.com/nourishing_shampoo.html
IMing88

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
Anything from Clinique's skin care line is a no-no for me. It sucks big, big time!!!!
daydreamingda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:19 am      Reply with quote
Clinique
and ALL chanel's eye products!
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:59 am      Reply with quote
I love all the reality checks on that terrible line Clinique. IMO it's an example of how a huge company can spend huge bucks on slick advertising to promote crap products to a huge market with what appears like a determined effort to gouge it out of even huger bucks that it pockets for itself. Almost criminal, almost third world even (& that may be an insult to the 3rd world cuz this could only happen in the 1st or developed world). Skincare industry a perfect tool for ripoffs & just happens that market is mostly women. How sweet...(couldn't resist the hint of sarcasm but to my mind the link tween the ripoffs in the industry & the market is no coincidence).

I've never used the shite but know people who have. Not pretty...

Caveat emptor big time.
VoltesV
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
Anything with petrolatum.
existential lady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
Just once, just one night, I put Estee Lauder Renutrive Cream over my whole face, as it was supposed to be "the best" and next morning ended up with 3 milia under my eye right in the crease where it's closest to the nose and is often purple anyway. How is anybody going to get those out for me? I thought the cream felt like whipped plastic, turns out it probably was. Mad That was way before I found EDS, a collection of women's wisdom, I must say, from which we all benefit.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:53 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |