Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What Products are on your No-No List?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
amber_utah

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
My no-no list Smile

1.PROACTIVE!
2.Clinique
3.Mary Kay-uggh!
4.Perricone
5.Murad
6.Boscia
7.Philosophy's Miracle Worker set-guess what? No Miracles.
8.Dermalogica-my friend tried many products on me and I had plenty of samples and kits I purchased from her-this by far did the most damage.
9. and finally REN.-my skin was terrible after two weeks-TERRIBLE!
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with most of your list. For me, when a product costs a lot of money, it is more disappointing becasue I have high expectations because I've paid so much. I laugh at myself thinking back to the Perricone days. I won't pay crazy money for a product anymore. I think so many of things we discuss here that are cost efficient do a better job.
syndi222
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
Nerostrata -- too drying and broke me out badly!
Burt's bees cream -- gave me too many bumps!
Neutrogena face wash -- clogged my pores like there's no tomorrow!
Philosophy's Hope in a jar -- greased up my face!
Philosophy's Purity made simple -- broke me out as well!
Shishedo's pureness line -- one of the most horrible lines I've ever used!
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:57 am      Reply with quote
I dislike anything with mineral oil in it.
abmiller

Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
Maybelline great lash mascara. It always pops up in beauty magazines. I always comeback to it after a few years thinking I must be wrong. it's garbage. The brush and formula are both so old fashioned. there are so many better mascaras out there now.

Neturogena Acne face washes. I got a terrible rash that took weeks to get rid of.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
abmiller wrote:
Maybelline great lash mascara. It always pops up in beauty magazines. I always comeback to it after a few years thinking I must be wrong. it's garbage. The brush and formula are both so old fashioned. there are so many better mascaras out there now.

Neturogena Acne face washes. I got a terrible rash that took weeks to get rid of.

For me "Great Lash" makes my eyes irritated and red..it is clumpy...
Willy von Whompers

Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:45 am      Reply with quote
but not new to the world of trying to save my skin from the ravages of time...

No no products for me - anything by Avon that goes on your skin.

Body Shop lipsticks...like wax and their body butters are nice but way overpriced

Suzanne Sommers facial thingee that zaps you..in a weak moment I bought one off the Shopping Channel, used it religiously for a few months, and it did nothing. It's collecting dustballs under the bed now. It's good at that.

Cheers and hello to everyone
mogulicious
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
Creme de la Mer clogged pores, huge waste of $$

5% products discount

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
definitely the clinique 123 step.
When i stopped my skin was red, oversensitive and ichy.
Non recommended!
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
My "bad boy" list:

Anything with EGF (epidermal growth factor) as the only cytokine ... there is a reason they use this to take the wool off sheep.

Anything with Teprenone(so called DNA cream)... anti-ulcer drug that induces heat shock proteins. You want your face covefred in mucous like the lining of your stomach?

I have more. Great thread.
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
DrJ wrote:
My "bad boy" list:

Anything with EGF (epidermal growth factor) as the only cytokine ... there is a reason they use this to take the wool off sheep.

Anything with Teprenone(so called DNA cream)... anti-ulcer drug that induces heat shock proteins. You want your face covefred in mucous like the lining of your stomach?

What other ingredients are cytokines?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
DrJ wrote:
My "bad boy" list:

Good question jom.......I found this but how do we identify what to look for in skincare?

http://www.news-medical.net/health/What-are-Cytokines.aspx

Cytokines (Greek ''cyto-'', cell; and ''-kinos'', movement) are any of a number of substances that are secreted by specific cells of the immune system which carry signals locally between cells, and thus have an effect on other cells. They are a category of signaling molecules that are used extensively in cellular communication. They are proteins, peptides, or glycoproteins. The term cytokine encompasses a large and diverse family of polypeptide regulators that are produced widely throughout the body by cells of diverse embryological origin.

Basically, the term "cytokine" has been used to refer to the immunomodulating agents (interleukins, interferons, etc.). Conflicting data exists about what is termed a cytokine and what is termed a hormone. Anatomic and structural distinctions between cytokines and classic hormones are fading as we learn more about each. Classic protein hormones circulate in nanomolar (10) concentrations that usually vary by less than one order of magnitude. In contrast, some cytokines (such as IL-6) circulate in picomolar (10) concentrations that can increase up to 1,000-fold during trauma or infection. The widespread distribution of cellular sources for cytokines may be a feature that differentiates them from hormones. Virtually all nucleated cells, but especially endo/epithelial cells and resident macrophages (many near the interface with the external environment) are potent producers of IL-1, IL-6, and TNF-α. In contrast, classic hormones, such as insulin, are secreted from discrete glands (e.g., the pancreas). As of 2008, the current terminology refers to cytokines as immunomodulating agents. However, more research is needed in this area of defining cytokines and hormones.

The action of cytokines may be autocrine or paracrine, but not endocrine. The reason for them not being endocrine signals is that the signal must be released in the general region of the pathogen-infected cells, so other immune molecules which follow the signal will arrive at that site (where this signal is released). Cytokines are critical to the development and functioning of both the innate and adaptive immune response, although they are not limited to the immune system. They are often secreted by immune cells that have encountered a pathogen, thereby activating and recruiting further immune cells to increase the system's response to the pathogen. Cytokines are also involved in several developmental processes during embryogenesis.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:38 am      Reply with quote
I too have re-tried Maybelline's Great Lash Mascara because it keeps getting rave reviews from so many sources. I just don't get it. It's clumpy and chunky and there are so many better mascaras out there.

I avoid products with parabens, sulfates, and artificial fragrance. I've also started checking out products on EWG's cosmetic safety list, and I won't using anything in the "red" zone.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:17 am      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
DrJ wrote:
My "bad boy" list:

Hi jom,

Cytokines are the natural chemical molecular signals that human skin cells use to talk with one another. They are also called "signal transduction molecules" which means the same thing. They include many different families. Some are involved with stimulation to divide and make new cells and are called growth factors. Others are involved with inflammation, mopping up damage. There are hundreds of different ones. Cell-to-cell communications are at the very core of responding to damage (e.g. from UV rays), which has to be a coordinated process, not just one cell type. It involves stem cells, fibroblasts, and epithelial cells. These same cytokines are also altering the expression of many cell proteins, including enzymes, etc. The whole regenerative process is mediated by these chemicals. They are also, therefore, intimately tied up with aging (and therefore also with strategies for anti-aging, especially skin).

Now, EGF is a growth factor, and thus a cytokine. If you apply it to skin it will cause proliferation (growth, "plumping" & thickening of skin. But when you give it alone, it is not physiologic, which means it doesn't work like nature intended. Instead it is pharmacologic in action, and can have untoward effects. Whereas if you give it in a cocktail of cytokines (see thread here on ISCO product, which is a bit more physiologic), there are checks and balances.

Pure EGF is used in the sheep industry as a way to take wool off - easier than shearing. How does that work? You give enough, the skin puffs up and pores are choked off, which causes the hair to fall out.

We have several articles on cytokines, as well as on EGF at barefacedtruth. (somebody else will have to provide the link)
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:21 am      Reply with quote
Oh, and all the products that say they contain "conditioned media" (e.g. from fibroblasts, like Skinmedica's TNS, or from stem cells) ... well the active ingredients really are a host of cytokines. There are some other things in there (some sugar, some proteins) but these are just by products, and not the active or working ingredients.
theanginator

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
Origins Checks and Balances Frothy Face Wash - this stuff will strip your skin dry leaving it parched and tight.

Paula Begoun's RESIST Weekly Resurfacing treatment with 10% AHA - this turned my face beet red the next morning after only one application and it took weeks for the redness and dryness to subside.
firefly111

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:21 pm      Reply with quote
CLINIQUE SKIN CARE...DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR ME.
ketchup
5% products discount

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
Paula Begoun's skin care line has done absolutely nothing for me other than irritate my skin and cause breakouts. Some products smell just terrible while others leave my skin with a film or tacky feeling. I've tried many products from the resist line to her AHA's and BHA's.

Proactiv for sure.
theanginator

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
"Paula Begoun's skin care line has done absolutely nothing for me other than irritate my skin and cause breakouts"

No kidding! I visit Paula's website a lot for reviews but as far as her own skin care products go, they just dry the heck out of my skin. I am currently recovering from an AHA nightmare caused by her 10% glycolic. Would not recommend.
Emelle

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:07 pm      Reply with quote
Somme A bomb, did nothing but waste my money, make my face red and rough and me mad.
Strivectin, made my skin pucker and dry out.
Lancome Juicy Tubes, lovely, but too thick and made a huge millia lump on my upper lip.
Anything by Philosophy. over rated, horrible cs and products just don't work.
jadkin
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:25 am      Reply with quote
I echo everyone with Clinique! I just don't find it effective.

Olay is too heavy for my oily skin. Proactive actually killed me several years ago!
ketchup
5% products discount

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:46 am      Reply with quote
jadkin wrote:
I echo everyone with Clinique! I just don't find it effective.

Olay is too heavy for my oily skin. Proactive actually killed me several years ago!

Proactive is a joke in my opinion. I mean no offensive to anyone that it has worked on, but you have like super tough skin to be able to tolerate it. Everything about it made my skin worse even though it would somewhat work I couldn't stand the many flakes I would get along with irritation that would make me look like a blotchy tomato. Just terrible.

Olay is to heavy for you? Thats kinda got me scared.I have more normal skin with a tendency to be oily though.
I was about to try Olay's Regenerist Night Resurfacing Elixir. It looked like a light treatment; something to alternate retin a with or cp's (trying to ween off retin a).
Shadowvenuz
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
No no to Shisheido facial product line.
My friend was using it and it broke her out.
Then I tried it, and it broke me out within days.

So I'm staying away from that.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
Products containing benzoyl peroxoide
liuliameng
5% products discount

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:12 pm      Reply with quote
1 lamer
2 product from Japan
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:31 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |