Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Antibiotics for acne
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
LisaV
5% products discount

Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
I just recently started on minocycline and I was reading that it's suggested that those on antibiotics take probiotics as well.

Are there any recommendations as to...what brand, which probiotics, refrigerated vs. non-refrigerated?

Also, are there certain foods I should stay away from while on antibiotics? Any foods that I should eat a lot of? (specific foods, not just what 'foods rich in ___' please!)

Thanks Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:15 pm      Reply with quote
Garden of wisdom makes a very good probiotic, one a doctor recommended for son with gastric disease are FloraQ. There are a lot at the drug store but the FloraQ is usually behind in the pharmacy, not rx OTC. Foods to avoid depend on the antibiotic, anything to be avoided will be on the label! Some will recommend take with food, or drink plenty of water.

HTH
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:40 am      Reply with quote
I like Nature's Way Primadophilus Probifia Pearls because they don't have to be refrigerated and it contains a blend.

I get them at vitacost:
http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Way-Primadophilus-Probifia-Pearls-60-Pearls

Yogurt can also be helpful.

Your Rx bottle should state any foods to avoid. For example some times you have to avoid dairy 2 hrs before or after you take antibiotics.

I also just want to comment, sorry cant help myself here, that hopefully the plan for you to be on oral antibiotics is short term. I personally would not use for more then 3 months. Particularly with mino as it builds up in the body.
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:03 am      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
I also just want to comment, sorry cant help myself here, that hopefully the plan for you to be on oral antibiotics is short term. I personally would not use for more then 3 months. Particularly with mino as it builds up in the body.

Ok you got me curious here. Minocycline builds up in the body? What would that lead to?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:41 am      Reply with quote
circus wrote:

Ok you got me curious here. Minocycline builds up in the body? What would that lead to?

Minocycline has a longer half life then other tetracycline's, which mean the levels stay in your system longer, so each time you take one it builds up more in your body.

As it builds up in the body it can cause pigmentation issues on the skin that look like bruises. These pigmentation issues will eventually clear up once mino is stopped but it takes a long time. This can happen with long term usage.
LisaV
5% products discount

Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
^ Yikes that doesn't sound so good. I think I have a fairly low prescription (50mg once a day) so hopefully I won't get any pigmentation (I'm also fairly fair-skinned). My doctor said to try it out for a month, but I do have a 3 month prescription for it.

My bottle actually doesn't state what foods to avoid =/. From what I've read though, dairy and other supplements (calcium, iron, etc) should not to be taken with it, but I guess I'm looking for specific examples?

Thanks all!
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
Minocycline can also cause pigmentation issues on the teeth (a low % see this happen, but it happened to me). Do not use long term to avoid this situation (longer than 6 mos)

My son got C-diff (Clostridium difficile) when on an antibiotic and the doctor prescribed probiotics for him We used Nature's Bounty and also had him eat yogurt w/ live cultures (in smoothies). The NB does need to be refrigerated.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
LisaV wrote:
...... My doctor said to try it out for a month, but I do have a 3 month prescription for it.

My bottle actually doesn't state what foods to avoid =/. From what I've read though, dairy and other supplements (calcium, iron, etc) should not to be taken with it, but I guess I'm looking for specific examples?

I think 3 months is fine. Keep in mind it could take a good 4 weeks before you really start to notice an improvement.

Regarding side effects, it's just good to be aware of what could happen. If you haven't already google it so you know the common side effects that can happen. Derm's do like to use oral antibiotics and they are effective for most people but only effective while you take them so its good to have another plan in the works while you are them like some topicals. Hopefully he also gave you some topicals?

As far as foods to avoid, I would not take vitamins and avoid dairy 2 hrs before/after. Things like milk, ice cream, yogurt.
LisaV
5% products discount

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
Do you think oatmeal would okay? I was kind of hesitant about that 'cause on the box it says ~40% (under the nutrition facts), but I'm not even sure how much that means.

He had given me topicals before, but they never worked, which is why I'm on antibiotics now. I am using a topical though (PC BHA) and it's been working fairly well.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:03 am      Reply with quote
I wouldnt worry about oatmeal unless you make it with milk.

Just remember, antibiotics do work well for most people but they only work while you take them. So.... you could get great results and then start breaking out when you go off them.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:43 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |