Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Nasolabial Folds--What's Worked and How Long Did It Take?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
morocha
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
jenp7 wrote:
Smiling doesn't necessarily cause NL lines because children smile all the time with no lines. Additionally there are plenty of adults with great skin who smile often and do not have heavy NL lines.

I think that area could form lines because of creasing the skin through talking, yawning, smiling, eating, etc, but if your skin and body are in good health (and I also believe in facial massage of the area) you do not necessarily have to develop these lines. Also, building up of muscle around the mouth (think "kissing the ceiling" exercises) help to plump up the area on either side of your mouth.

I think not smiling is more responsible for NL folds..because cheek muscle atrophy and sagging probably account for a lot of the "folding" going on in the NL area. Your "apples" on your cheeks are formed in part by smiling. This fullness lifts the skin in your lower face, including the skin that would fold over the NL area. This is why smiling in part would possibly help prevent NL folds (as would appropriate cheek exercises).

I would think the depressing nature of not smiling would do more bad to your face than good. Ayurvedic medicine suggests that people smile more to balance their bodies doshas and increase "ojas", which is the youthful "light" you can see in someone's face... something you cannot get out of any bottle.

Also, very light lines in that area are on people of all ages... I don't think they are as aging as NL folds.

Wow! Kissing the Ceiling! It's the first time I hear from that exercise! I started doing it and it really feels like it's working your overall cheek and neck area! Thank You for that info, lets see how it helps prevent NL!
agatha
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
I did have success with that area using microcurrent treatments done with the nuface and also my professional microcurrent machine.

gretchen wrote:
use a Nuface once in a while

Wow, I didn't know that even Nuface would be effective in this area (I've always thought that some "big guns" are needed to fix NLs). My NL problem is more of plumping than lifting, do you think Nuface could help with that as well? I've had a feeling that general feelings towards Nuface on this board are rather lukewarm, but this is very interesting, thanks for the info!
Tiaraleeann

Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
So I'm new here Smile You all seem to know what your talking about so I wanted to ask a few questions. Well first and foremost I would like to get some advice on what to do about my NL "shadows" as I call them. There isn't a defined crease there yet from what I can see, but you can see indentation in my face in that area even when I'm not smiling. It's not very drastic but it *really* bothers me. They just go from the bottom of my nose to my top lip pretty much but it's ALWAYS there. I feel like I have full cheeks, when I smile I have huge dents in my face. I can live with that, I just don't like them being there when I'm not smiling. I had a child not too long ago ad I'm still about 15-20lbs overweight for my height so I'm feeling like if my face thins out a bit it may minimize them as they used to be. I've recently just been noticing them. Could be me being over critical of myself and partly because I'm dreading my 25th birthday. Lol but they are there and I would love any suggestions. I also seen something in the earlier postings that you have to determine whats causing it in order to get the correct procedure to minimize/take it away? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. As well as my eye area. I keep constant bags and I'm only 24 Sad
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:06 pm      Reply with quote
Tiaraleeann wrote:
So I'm new here Smile You all seem to know what your talking about so I wanted to ask a few questions. Well first and foremost I would like to get some advice on what to do about my NL "shadows" as I call them. There isn't a defined crease there yet from what I can see, but you can see indentation in my face in that area even when I'm not smiling. It's not very drastic but it *really* bothers me. They just go from the bottom of my nose to my top lip pretty much but it's ALWAYS there. I feel like I have full cheeks, when I smile I have huge dents in my face. I can live with that, I just don't like them being there when I'm not smiling. I had a child not too long ago ad I'm still about 15-20lbs overweight for my height so I'm feeling like if my face thins out a bit it may minimize them as they used to be. I've recently just been noticing them. Could be me being over critical of myself and partly because I'm dreading my 25th birthday. Lol but they are there and I would love any suggestions. I also seen something in the earlier postings that you have to determine whats causing it in order to get the correct procedure to minimize/take it away? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. As well as my eye area. I keep constant bags and I'm only 24 Sad

Tiaraleeann as you can see from the length of this thread, everyone has a different idea of what it takes to get rid of N/L lines so I doubt you will get a consensus on what is best to do. So if you cannot read the whole thread to find out what suggestions are given maybe just read a few pages selected at random and then maybe do a search for those suggestions and see what feedback people who have done that gave. It could be a topical product or a gadget or face exercises. But knowing what others have said so far can give you direction to do more research on your own.

Asking this question in such a long discussion will probably not get you a lot of response because a lot of it has already been discussed and so you may miss out on something that could work for you.

Another thing you can do is, maybe contact the sources of the products you are considering and interview them on the success of their product, whether it's a gadget, an exercises product, a facial lotion/cream/serum. Ask for photo evidence. You may just find that you really have nothing to worry about and that your issue is fixable overnight. Once you get some info, then you can ask specific questions like "I heard X cream works. Has anyone tried it? Do you still use it?" Those questions are easier to get and you will get better direction if you start off by looking at what's been offered first.

I also don't think it's easy for most people to know what caused their problem in the first place. It could just be normal aging, bad diet, health issues...and unless you are a pro in those fields, you can't really know what caused your issues. So I think turning to people who deal with this may be a better way of finding help. Sharing what happened before you got those issues with a pro will probably be useful too in helping them help you.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
egyptianpharmacist
5% products discount

Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
One thing that has been improving my nasolabial folds is using Perricone's acyl glutathione lid serum on them. It makes them look significantly smaller, but by no means completely erases them. I liked the way this serum tightened my upper lids so I thought I'd slap some of the excess onto my nasolabial folds and voila! They instantly looked reduced, and hopefully will get even better with time. I realized that putting makeup (especially powder concealer from bareminerals) on top of my nasolabials in attempt to hide them actually looks worse and makes me look older. Concealer tends to settle into them unless I use a liquid concealer painted on with a brush and a very light hand. Less is more! I am also doing a facial exercise program called Facial Magic by Cynthia Rowland, and that is helping them also, by lifting my downward-sliding cheek pads back into place.

Eventually I will probably go the filler route to completely get rid of them, but for now I am happy with my home-care efforts Smile
swedishfish

Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
I did one round of juvaderm in the NL folds and had mixed feelings about the results. They puffed out nicely but my smile felt off. I realized belatedly that I have more of the shadow issue than the wrinkles in that area (so far!)
lanadelslay
5% products discount

Fri May 18, 2018 10:19 am      Reply with quote
Does it happen to anyone when you wake up in the morning and your nasolabial folds seem to get super worse?

I have a problem with my left nasolabial fold that just looks worse and worse each day, I been using retinol, I'm only 24 but it's very prominent trust me. I wasn't like that before, should I start facial exercise?
maggie_p
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2018 5:16 am      Reply with quote
lanadelslay wrote:
Does it happen to anyone when you wake up in the morning and your nasolabial folds seem to get super worse?

I have a problem with my left nasolabial fold that just looks worse and worse each day, I been using retinol, I'm only 24 but it's very prominent trust me. I wasn't like that before, should I start facial exercise?

I guess you are a side sleeper and you sleep on left side? If yes, perhaps try sleeping on your back or find a different pillow/pillowcase? Cotton pillowcases draw moisture out of skin and hair. Silk pillowcases make my skin a lot less wrinkled in the morning.
If the skin is not bouncing quickly the issue could also be lack of moisture, either in your body or in your home. You can check your water intake, check supplements with HA or find topical products with HA. If it is your home, some humidifier in your bedroom (not too much, you don't want mould on walls).
I wouldn't go down the route of exercises in your age, your muscles are at full strength, but would do some facial massage, for example Tanaka, to wake up facial muscles so they quickly return to their resting position.
And lastly, always remember that we are our own worst critics, other people likely didn't notice this.
Take care!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |