Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Nasolabial Folds--What's Worked and How Long Did It Take?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Pasithea

Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, Pasithea here. Thought I'de introduce myself. I'm bran new to web forums. I've read a couple of EDS threads on facial exercising and massage and found them very helpful. Glad to join the group. You all seem like a great bunch.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:39 am      Reply with quote
Pasithea wrote:
Has anyone seen Nasolabial folds improve by using Ageless If You Dare? I'm considering buying Lou Lou's book. Thanks!

Hi Pasithea, thank you for joining our thread!
My mouth lines got worse after 3months of ageless. All the cheek exercises need the orbi oris engaged (circular muscle round the mouth) and I ended up building my mouth up too much (the chimpy look). I cannot disengage my mouth to lift cheeks. By building up my mouth and not cheeks, I had more of a trench than before! I stopped Ageless and all went back to normal. There are a few people that have this problem - be aware if you may be one of them. Those I spoke to, all tend to have strong mouths pre-Ageless.
I do however continue with the Ageless eye exercise which is brilliant and I am a believer in facial exercise in general - but be aware of the adage of going through the uglies. Sometimes it's not a passing phase. Ageless is a very potent facial program so always keep tabs (photos perhap) on what you are doing.
murray28
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:24 am      Reply with quote
This is Miranda wrote:
I stopped Ageless and all went back to normal. There are a few people that have this problem - be aware if you may be one of them. Those I spoke to, all tend to have strong mouths pre-Ageless.
I do however continue with the Ageless eye exercise which is brilliant and I am a believer in facial exercise in general - but be aware of the adage of going through the uglies. Sometimes it's not a passing phase. Ageless is a very potent facial program so always keep tabs (photos perhap) on what you are doing.

Miranda - can you describe the eye exercise? I've been doing the Facercise program and, while there's some moves that I like (the nose shortner, for instance), I do not care for her eye exercises because I just don't really "feel" them where I'm supposed to be (mainly, I just feel like my "11" is getting bigger along with the muscles that form it). I'm shopping around for a new program - but it would mainly be for the eyes.

I mean, I don't know ... is this okay, to ask for a description of an exercise? I don't want to be crossing any lines here ...
JLM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:38 am      Reply with quote
Pasithea wrote:
Hi everyone, Pasithea here. Thought I'de introduce myself. I'm bran new to web forums. I've read a couple of EDS threads on facial exercising and massage and found them very helpful. Glad to join the group. You all seem like a great bunch.

Hi Pasithea,

Well, from my experience, while I *love* the facial resistance exercises from FE (Flex Effect) and Ageless, I don't think that they have completely diminished my NLs by themselves. I have been doing these exercises for 5 1/2 months. I do believe that they have contributed to an overall lifting & filling out of my flattish, narrow face.

I have seen some improvement, but not a complete erasing of the NLs (that is, since I've stopped Tanaka).

I am beginning to believe that in order to work on the NL's, it's quite an additive process-- that is, you have to do a *lot* of little things, each of which has *some* effect & build upon each other. In other words, facial resistance exercise helps a lot, but it's not a magic bullet (at least in my case.)

Hope this helps!
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:55 am      Reply with quote
murray28 wrote:
This is Miranda wrote:
I stopped Ageless and all went back to normal. There are a few people that have this problem - be aware if you may be one of them. Those I spoke to, all tend to have strong mouths pre-Ageless.

Miranda - can you describe the eye exercise? I've been doing the Facercise program and, while there's some moves that I like (the nose shortner, for instance), I do not care for her eye exercises because I just don't really "feel" them where I'm supposed to be (mainly, I just feel like my "11" is getting bigger along with the muscles that form it). I'm shopping around for a new program - but it would mainly be for the eyes.

I mean, I don't know ... is this okay, to ask for a description of an exercise? I don't want to be crossing any lines here ...

Actually I do two exercises for my eyes - both IMO very effective and don't engage the 11 muscles. There are two Ageless eye exercises but I only do the one that concentrates on pinching the flesh on the outer sides of the eyes and blinking with eyes closing tightly for 20-40 times (Ageless suggests 20, I do 40).
The other is the Eva Fraser one which is brilliant for opening the eye. Her exercises are more gentle than FE and Ageless as only two of them involve resistance.
You can find an example of her eye exercise on her home page ( http://www.evafraser.com/ ). The picture on the top right is Eva holding her eyebrows up. You then close your eyes whilst holding for a count of 6 secs and repeat six times. You should feel the stretch on your eyelid muscles. When you release your fingers from eyebrows, try to hold the position and let your brows drop down slowly. The Ageless one gives a nice almond shape and the Eva lifts your brow.
JLM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
You know, I'm starting to think that having a deviated septum might be part of the reason for my NL's-- especially on my left side, which is the side I cannot breathe through. I think this might be one of the reasons why the Tanaka massage was so effective for me in erasing the NL's (combined with everything else that I'm doing.) I'm thinking that if there's some sort of nasal/ sinus blockage there, it would probably respond well massage & my face would appear less saggy. (Perhaps this might also explain the zits as well? Toxins in the area?) Any ideas anyone?
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
JLM wrote:
You know, I'm starting to think that having a deviated septum might be part of the reason for my NL's-- especially on my left side, which is the side I cannot breathe through. I think this might be one of the reasons why the Tanaka massage was so effective for me in erasing the NL's (combined with everything else that I'm doing.) I'm thinking that if there's some sort of nasal/ sinus blockage there, it would probably respond well massage & my face would appear less saggy. (Perhaps this might also explain the zits as well? Toxins in the area?) Any ideas anyone?

Sorry to have to rain on this one but I have a deviated septum and cannot breathe on my right and my left NL is the worse side. I think it's generally felt that most (maybe right-handed) people age faster on the left. I read somewhere that we show our emotions more on the left side hence....
Note to self: Anti-ageing strategy - be less emotional Laughing
aprile
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
I would say that more than likely, the side of your face that you sleep on, will age more quickly. I have noticed that since I sleep more on the right side, that side of my face has more fine lines and/or creases. Carole Maggio touts sleeping on your back which I know is best for the face for many reasons. I just bought myself the Save my Face pillow to give that a whirl. I have been a stomach sleeper most of my life and then a side sleeper. Tough habit to break. But, my nasal labial area is not a problem since using the Facercise program, irregardless of the fact that I continued to side sleep. I am curious to see if this new pillow helps!
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
aprile wrote:
I would say that more than likely, the side of your face that you sleep on, will age more quickly. I have noticed that since I sleep more on the right side, that side of my face has more fine lines and/or creases. Carole Maggio touts sleeping on your back which I know is best for the face for many reasons. I just bought myself the Save my Face pillow to give that a whirl. I have been a stomach sleeper most of my life and then a side sleeper. Tough habit to break. But, my nasal labial area is not a problem since using the Facercise program, irregardless of the fact that I continued to side sleep. I am curious to see if this new pillow helps!

I disagree with this Aprile. I've always slept on my back but noticed from my mid-20's, my left side would develop ageing signs 12-18 mths before my right. There was a discussion many moons ago somewhere on EDS about this, and the majority who took part also aged more on the left but not necessarily slept on their left side.
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
Aprile, I have wondered if the save your face pillow would work. Please post your opinion when you try it. I use a contour pillow that hasn't decreased the stress on my face. I wake up in the night with my face contorted into the pillow. That can't be good. I switch back and forth throughout the night, so I don't think it is the cause of my left side aging more quickly than the right.

Miranda, I have always thought that I aged more on the left side of my face than the right because the sun shines on the left side of my face while I'm driving. You just blew that theory. You live in London! The sun shines on the right side of your face when you drive. Laughing

This is Miranda wrote:
aprile wrote:

I disagree with this Aprile. I've always slept on my back but noticed from my mid-20's, my left side would develop ageing signs 12-18 mths before my right. There was a discussion many moons ago somewhere on EDS about this, and the majority who took part also aged more on the left but not necessarily slept on their left side.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia,

I just used the pillow last night and it was tough getting used to it. I am not certain I will be able to lay on it correctly for side sleeping either. You know, staying in the correct position all night long. My goal is to used it folded over as more of a neck roll that will prevent my head from turning from side to side smashing into the pillow. My skin is on the thin side and it shows when I wake with sleep lines. Unfortunately, some of those lines have become permanent. (Although I will be working on them with Carole's Maggio's new retinol cream once its released.) Even if you think you are turning and laying on each side "evenly" so to speak, that may not be entirely possible. It's hard to control what we do while in the sleep state! I really think back sleeping is the key, if only we can stay there all night! (That's where the pillow comes into play.) When fluids pool on one side of the face, it can stretch the skin and pull on that side of the face creating more sag or crevices one side than the other. I will keep you posted!! Take care, Aprile
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
I try to stay on my back but it never works. I wake up with the lines on my face that you mentioned. I'm not sure how much damage it's doing, but it can't be good. If the new pillow helps you to stay on your back, please let us know. Carole suggests sleeping with a pillow under your knees. I've tried that but the pillow keeps me awake and inevitably ends up flying across the room at some point during the night.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
Will let you know. I think it will take some getting used to. I cannot sleep with the pillow beneath my knees as she recommends either. I usually bend my one leg at the knee and keep the other straight. My husband uses the pillow beneath his knees when he sleeps on his back, but then he snores! Oh the trade-offs! Aprile
JLM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I thought I had hit upon the grand unifying theory of NL's response to Tanaka (in my case at least)... but perhaps not. I think I'm still going to get surgery to correct the septum, however. I'd like to be able to breathe through both nostrils, for once!

I'm really liking CM's NL exercise. It's a very nice complement to FE's & Ageless NL exercises. Whereas FE & Ageless have you draw the caninus muscle *up* into a sneer, CM has you stretch the muscle *down*. Interesting on the differing approaches to work the muscle.
aprile
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
JLM ~ Yes I guess you could say different strokes for different folks. I find Carole's nasal labial smoother exercise works really fast. It is the position of the long narrow "O" combined with the visualization of energy technique that really makes you feel the burn.
Peggotty
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
JLM wrote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I thought I had hit upon the grand unifying theory of NL's response to Tanaka (in my case at least)... but perhaps not. I think I'm still going to get surgery to correct the septum, however. I'd like to be able to breathe through both nostrils, for once!

I'm really liking CM's NL exercise. It's a very nice complement to FE's & Ageless NL exercises. Whereas FE & Ageless have you draw the caninus muscle *up* into a sneer, CM has you stretch the muscle *down*. Interesting on the differing approaches to work the muscle.

Hi JLM, was the steps to the CM "down" exercise posted anywhere? I think I missed it in this mega thread! Very Happy
JLM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Peggotty,

No, no, Aprile explained it all a couple of posts ago. It was just that I was noting that whereas FE & Ageless exercises have you draw the upper lip into a sneer to contract the caninus muscle (to work on the NL's), CM has you stretch out your mouth into a long, oval thus drawing the muscle down into a stretch. It seems that by working the caninus muscle in these two ways, you'd really get a good workout in the area!
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:33 am      Reply with quote
Antonia on another thread brought up the subject of Angel Lift Dermastrips

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/?brand=Angellift&ref_=bl_sr_hpc&node=3760931

http://www.bebeautiful.com/angellift-dermastrip.html

A genius product or another useless gimmick?
I read through the Angel Lift thread but no one had used it for very long to give a true summary (the results weren't immediate by the sounds of it).

I hold alot of tension in my mouth area so I'm thinking this may work for me.

BTW the second link mentions something interesting about fillers...

"Angellift and Botox work on similar theories of muscle memory. Muscle memory is responsible for most facial wrinkles. Botox paralyzes the muscle to remove its memory and the Angellift device restricts the muscle, removing muscle memory. Because Angellift restricts the muscle without paralyzing, it can be used around the mouth. Injectable fillers can also be used around the mouth as they fill the space between the skin and the muscle, temporarily removing the wrinkle. Ironically, the same way they remove the wrinkle they increase the muscle memory. This increased muscle memory will cause larger and deeper facial wrinkles once the filler dissipates. Injectable fillers act like temporary spacers between your skin and muscle. These spacers force the muscle to contract even further, causing even deeper wrinkles when the spacer is removed."

Any views?
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
I think it would work. I read the whole Angel Lift thread a while back and was surprised that noone saw any positive results. It didn't occur to me that they didn't use it long enough to see results.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Aprile, I have tried your suggestions for the NL exercise. I still don't feel a good burn, but just as an experiment, I decided to do the exercise every day anyway. Well, I think it's working! My NL's are starting to look better even without the burn. I have only been doing the exercise once per day. I'm going to try doing it twice per day to see if I can get an even bigger improvement. Maybe the burn doesn't matter and it's really the stretching that does it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
"Angellift and Botox work on similar theories of muscle memory. Muscle memory is responsible for most facial wrinkles. Botox paralyzes the muscle to remove its memory and the Angellift device restricts the muscle, removing muscle memory. Because Angellift restricts the muscle without paralyzing, it can be used around the mouth. Injectable fillers can also be used around the mouth as they fill the space between the skin and the muscle, temporarily removing the wrinkle. Ironically, the same way they remove the wrinkle they increase the muscle memory. This increased muscle memory will cause larger and deeper facial wrinkles once the filler dissipates. Injectable fillers act like temporary spacers between your skin and muscle. These spacers force the muscle to contract even further, causing even deeper wrinkles when the spacer is removed."

I don't know Miranda, it seems a stretch to me. I'm picking mine up on Friday so I'll keep everyone updated.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
aprile wrote:
Antonia & Tonia,

Antonia ~ Yes, the long narrow "O" or oval position creates tension, tracing the lines and using the mind/muscle connection to visualize energy running up and down the nasal labial lines from the mouth corners to the nose, creates a burn. Tonia ~ I believe if you are trying to make a long narrow "O" by using your chin muscles, you are engaging the wrong muscles. I would suggest try raising your cheek muscles while you are making the long narrow "O" with your mouth. At the same time, you should keep your upper lip pressed firmly down against your teeth. That way, you will be using your upper lip pressing down against your teeth to HOLD the long "O" position, instead of your chin. Can you now feel the burn along the nasal labial lines? Let me know if that helps! Take care, Aprile Smile

Hi. I finally found where you explained this exercise! But I am a bit confused. This may be a silly question but I cannot for the life of me make an O without using my chin. Is this more like an "oh" sound or "ooooh" sound? And I cannot press my upper teeth against my upper lip without ALSO pressing my bottom teeth against my bottom lip! I don't know how you ladies get your faces to engage all these muscles but I must say you ladies are super talented! Very Happy
JLM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:30 am      Reply with quote
This is Miranda wrote:
Antonia on another thread brought up the subject of Angel Lift Dermastrips

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/?brand=Angellift&ref_=bl_sr_hpc&node=3760931

http://www.bebeautiful.com/angellift-dermastrip.html

A genius product or another useless gimmick?
I read through the Angel Lift thread but no one had used it for very long to give a true summary (the results weren't immediate by the sounds of it).

I hold alot of tension in my mouth area so I'm thinking this may work for me.

BTW the second link mentions something interesting about fillers...

Any views?

The idea sounds plausible, but I wonder which muscles the Angellift are trying to restrict. It seems that most of the facial exercises work on building *up* the caninus muscle. Also, how does this device work? Do you just stick it in your mouth, on top of your teeth?
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:03 am      Reply with quote
I have the hunch this is going to be relegated to my useless gadget drawer. However, I am intrigued by its modus operandi and will post about it as soon as I pick it up.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:23 am      Reply with quote
Sorry to highjack this thread but I've been using the save my face pillow (the petit model) for a year now and I love that thing. It does take some getting used to but it got rid of the puckering I used to get near my eyes on the side of my face and I also believe it has relieved pressure off my NL's so my fillers have lasted longer (my last NL filler was a year ago this month) So I now wake without a pucker line on my face every morning...also, I just got Juvederm in my cheeks and this pillow was awesome in keeping pressure off that area....

I find after prolonged use, that I usually always stay on it properly and quite honestly cannot sleep without it anymore....it was definitely worth the money spent! HTH

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:45 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |