Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Nasolabial Folds--What's Worked and How Long Did It Take?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:54 am      Reply with quote
Many people have nl folds, but it’s a label that’s often misused at times to describe a variety of things in the NL area, but folds themselves can be many things.

Rest is essential, particularly when it comes to facial exercises and its often something that many people in the beginning overdo without realizing. For example they may want to target the NL area and so do an NL exercise throughout their day (usually overdoing the recommended reps etc) and what generally happens is that when they focus on the problem area they overbuild the upper area of the NLs, and the area beneath the NL which has been neglected from exercise looks strange in comparison. At other times the NL line can be where the cheeks begin lifting up and out, and a line is exposed. Other times it can be where the connective tissue and skin itself to some degree has been compromised.

I kind of ask my students nowadays to just as Claudietta says, to work out their facial muscles 5 days of the week and then allow themselves 2 rest days of nothing, simply as that extra recuperation time can really be a time for the body to heal up and its not uncommon sometimes for greater gains to be made when the body rests because it goes into overdrive repairing the muscles etc. I tend not to follow Runge’s suggestion of exercising for a month, but think her book is great for what it is and was legendary in its time, but perhaps the information in it is a little out of date for our modern society in its goals/aims are quite dated. I do love her style and writing – and always find myself amused looking at the photos of the model demonstrating how to cleanse etc.
claudietta wrote:
Henrytnk wrote:
First of all, sorry for any mistakes in my English since it's not my primary language. Also, sorry for bringing back an old thread but it's a really urgent matter. I've searched everywhere on the internet but couldn't find any answers, so this forum is my last hope!

I'm only 16-years old and already have big nasolabial folds on my face. Here's my story: since I was a child I always had big chubby cheeks on my face, witch really annoyed me. Last year I did some research about those chubby cheeks and how to remove them, and I ended up finding a website saying I could reduce them by doing "facial exercises". I started doing them the same day and when I woke up the next morning I saw some "lines" forming on my face, right on the nasolabial area. I thought it was a sign that the exercises were working indeed, so I kept doing them. I did these exercises for about one year, when the lines in my face had become really big. That's when I realized how stupid I was. My cheeks hadn't reduced at all and instead there was a big nasolabial fold area in my face.

I found some exercises that supposedly would reduce the NL area, but they just got worse. I stopped doing the exercises for about 3 months now, but the fold stays there...

Please, is there anyone who can help me?! These Nasolabial folds REALLY annoy me. I can't even look to other people anymore!!! Here are some photos (open and click to enlarge):
[img]img190.imageshack.us/img190/9610/imagem0121e.jpg [img]
[img]img834.imageshack.us/img834/3792/imagem0125n.jpg[img]
[img]img689.imageshack.us/img689/9044/imagem0130b.jpg[img]

I don't even care about my cheeks anymore, all I want is my face to be back as it was before, when I hadn't these lines! Someone help me please!! I'm DESPERATE!!

hey sorry for my english too (:
l went throw your same experience! what l've understand is not facial exercize to make the NLF but how did you make it...
is not important only what you do for the face, but it is very important also ,what you do not do for it,for instance, if you make check exercises pushing from the lip corner , you will built NL fold, it is natural!
you have to learn to isolate the single muscle, it keep u some week to do it correctly, cause u have to cancel the old body memory,if you keep doing exercise by lip corner you'll make thing worse, l do know this cause l had your same experience, and the only thing who is helping me is to do exercise keeping my lip relax (it is really difficult at the first time , but mind body connection will help you soon)...also during the day you have to control your face, is a sort of meditation, u have to keep attention if your corner lip are relaxed, l'm sure that they are not...check it right now!
it is also very important to stop facial work for 2 days every 5 days, also one month about every 3- 4 month
l've done many different facial exercise, every body respond in a different way, for me what did really the difference was the S.Maria Rounge exercise, l've start only since a month , but l've seen a different since first week, before to start to do this exercise is very, very important to read and to understand completely the first part of the book, cause like l've said it is how you do and what you do not do with your facial muscle, if you will handle S.M: rounge exesercize with out the right mind body connection , you will do things worse...try the preliminary exercises for 2- 3 week and see what will happen
l'm doing this work too and l'm really happy cause it is the first time l can see a difference...l hope it will help U
here in the blog there are person with great experience who will help in a good way, better than me
ps
you would ask to a dentist how he think about to dress on your mouth a relaxing bite, specially when you are practicing some kind of sport, or you are studying or sleeping... but also only to start to relax your mouth muscle, this is the most important thing, the first thing to do before to built facial muscle in the right way
you are young , if you will change your muscle attitude , your face will come back great more than before, you do not have age sign , NL fold are only expression sign, you can improve it so much, don't worry cause u'll be stressed and the line will be worse(:
l cannot see the pictures, but l do know you will work out and will come back so beautiful again!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:58 am      Reply with quote
Alice sadly its no longer available, but you know (and this is of course a biased opinion) you might want to save up for the 3rd edition - as not only does the dvd demonstrate every exercise, but you get a much more fuller edition of the book (with much more information). The exercises from the 2nd dvd are still in the 3rd edition, although their names are a little different - but I know a couple of people have asked me for the 2nd edition, and I've advised them to go for the 3rd and they've given me feedback that this was perfect for them and their requirements!
alice54 wrote:
Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to find the second edition of Flex Effect. I just purchased the DVD (closeout), but the book seems to be unavailable. I've tried Amazon and EBay. I would really like to get my hands on the book if possible.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:08 am      Reply with quote
Just wanted to touch in here with this ABB (hope you don’t mind), but with protein, if a person’s protein supplies have been underpar, it takes time for the body to readjust to getting supplies of protein, and I tend to advise my clients to not expect immediate results – although these can occur and do, but to give it a timeframe similar to supplements for at least 3 months. The reason being is that often if a person hasn’t been consuming sufficient protein, their digestive enzymes and acids reduce as its not needed, and so when protein starts getting consumed again, the body needs to start reproducing them, and this takes time for the body to become readjusted.

Weight loss – even if done healthily can sometimes be a challenge to the body. Even if its done correctly be say reducing carbs, the body or perhaps more accurately the brain registers that the supply has been reduced and so starts going into survival mode (which it does to protect itself and its organs). This is why when I have a client, who has lost weight, I often ask them about their weight loss methods, to determine if there is perhaps a challenge that may impact a persons progress, as if a body is in shock or trauma, then you can bet building muscle isn’t going to be high on its priorities list, its instead going to focus on survival.

The 3rd edition though it has to be said isn’t as time consuming as the previous, there is the option of working out the face within 12 minutes with the exercises, and that’s a lot more manageable for most people. Also when a person has achieved their goals, maintenance is even more simplier, and you often find that people only have to work out once or twice a week to maintain their results.

But for what its worth, I worked with numerous people with NL issues, of all ages (and I don’t consider age to be a major factor as a result) and my clients whose age ranges from 20-80 have all had remarkable successes (for which I wish I could take credit – but they worked hard with these issues) so really want to say please don’t distress if you do have these issue, you can certainly overcome it, but its about finding out whats best for your own body (and face) and taking it from there – but there’s always a way without doubt!
ABB wrote:
I usually only read this thread, but since I have experienced some improvement in the last couple of weeks in this area, so maybe this will help someone...
I've just turned 27 and I have developed pretty noticeable NL folds a year ago. I believe these were caused by the sudden weight loss I had at that time (I've dropped 5-6 kg in less than a month). I've tried everything since then, from expensive Shiseido and La Mer cosmetics, vitamin supplements, massages and face exercises. I've even considered some fillers, but their expiration period has discouraged me. Finally, 3 things have helped me eventually: exercises, single needle dermarolling (although it's not rolling any more Smile )and protein intake.
I've been doing Ageless cheek and neck exercises for a month and I'm amazed with results! I've tried FE before, but the program was too time consuming, so I have focused only on the area of interest, which did not result with any improvements (that infamous spot training:)). However, FE eye exercises I like better, so in the future I plan to alternate these two programs. Also, I finish my exercises with Tanaka massage which also helps me relax after a "workout" Smile.

Although my cheeks have lifted, I was still left with one ugly smile line on my left side (my right side didn't sag as much as the left, so there was no line present). Last Friday I've pricked this line with the 2.5 mm single needle I ordered from owndoc. After just one treatment, I can really see smoothing of the line! I didn't even prick that much since it hurt a lot, and I was too tired to hassle with emla cream. I couldn't believe that this much can be accomplished with just one treatment!

Finally, Sean from FE kindly suggested me to try to incease my protein portions, since these seemed to be rather low based on my daily diet, so I started eating more eggs (I couldn't find any suitable protein supplement in this student town that I'm living). I don't know if this had any effect, but I've introduced this dietary change together with other things at the same time...

I hope this might help some of you who are below thirty and have this problem. I used to be so devastated reading in the literature that this problem appear only after age of 35, and I have started developing them almost 10 years in advance.
I must admit that now I'm kinda grateful for this NL problem Smile. Since then I have introduced so many positive changes in my daily routine (suncream for start Smile) and learned so much about skin and how to prevent some aging problems in time Smile.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the answers everyone, especially you Claudietta! However, I really don't want to do these exercises anymore. My English is very poor, so I'm afraid to understand and do the exercises/massage the wrong way, and end up worsen even more my situation.

Isn't there any other way? Is surgery acceptable at my age? 'Cause I really want to get rid of them no matter what!
claudietta
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
Henrytnk wrote:
Thanks for the answers everyone, especially you Claudietta! However, I really don't want to do these exercises anymore. My English is very poor, so I'm afraid to understand and do the exercises/massage the wrong way, and end up worsen even more my situation.

Isn't there any other way? Is surgery acceptable at my age? 'Cause I really want to get rid of them no matter what!

henrytnk!
take a break! do not worry so much, you'll will work out! you are so young, l want to tell you a thing, 5 years ago l was in a very happy stage of my life,because my job and because love, but also if l was happy, maybe it were to much, so l was super stressed with out to be conscious to be stressed, and right in that moment, l've start to have my super deep NL fold, they lasted for one year, in a way that persons who knew me asked if l was ill!!!

the good thing of this story is that , with the time my nasal fold become few noticeable, without do nothing special, only to relax my mouth...asck for a bite to a dentist, especially if u are studying or having sport or u frown in the night...by the way
right now l'm 40 and l'm really better and l'm looking more young that 5 years ago! maybe u are stressed too, take a break,than you'll be able to decide how to fight this problem
mini lifting is good for this problem , but l do not think is the better way to handle this problem, l'm sure that to start to relax mouth corner , and relax your self will help u, remember that l was really ugly 5 years ago , and right now l'm only improving...
bex
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
I used Juvederm for N/L folds. I liked it. It was suppose to last about 9 months, it lasted about 6 months. It could have lasted longer, but I was constantly looking in the mirror just waiting for them to return. I'm so vain! It was nice not having full N/L folds.
helenjean
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:44 am      Reply with quote
hi all
I hope this thread isn't too old for me to get a response.
I am doing flexeffect and waiting for the new ageless if you dare.
I have been doing flex effect for 3 weeks, and once I have ageless I can then decide which exercises I prefer for my problem areas.
Mine are toning the jawline, nasol folds and filling out cheeks oh and eyes.
I have a question I have been doing a exercise where I hold down just above my lip with cotton gloves, and flex my cheek muscles, when I flex and hold I can see the muscle , Is this a good exercise to add to my arsenal of face exercises.
I hope it wont make thinks worse?
helen Exclamation
havana8

Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
helenjean wrote:
hi all
I have been doing flex effect for 3 weeks, and once I have ageless I can then decide which exercises I prefer for my problem areas.
I have a question I have been doing a exercise where I hold down just above my lip with cotton gloves, and flex my cheek muscles, when I flex and hold I can see the muscle , Is this a good exercise to add to my arsenal of face exercises.
helen Exclamation

Hi helenjean, Not sure if you've seen this thread but you may want to post your question there as there are many experienced FlexEffect users subscribed to that thread:

The New Edition of FlexEffect is Here!
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=36819
zina
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:55 am      Reply with quote
I am 24 and I have nasolabial fold on my right cheek from overtraining the muscle as a result of smiling (more from the right side)..
So face exercise is a big no-no for me..
Are fillers the only way to smooth NL ?I am thinking of getting them when I reach 30s but I am afraid of unnatural and very plumped look..Isn't there a natural way?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:31 am      Reply with quote
zina wrote:
I am 24 and I have nasolabial fold on my right cheek from overtraining the muscle as a result of smiling (more from the right side)..
Are fillers the only way to smooth NL ?I am thinking of getting them when I reach 30s but I am afraid of unnatural and very plumped look..Isn't there a natural way?

To have some nasolabial fold is completely normal and natural. If yours are the result of smiling, I wouldn't worry about it (especially at your age). It's when you lose volume in the face and the cheeks sag causing a deep nasolabial trough making you look tired and angry when action is called for.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:44 am      Reply with quote
Might actually be more reason for them to be for you! Laughing
zina wrote:
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
Mine are a result from smiling too, the left side has really really bothered me for years. The good news is that if they are from smiling, they don't really get any worse... I've been watching mine for almost fifteen years now expecting to need filler any day now.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
helenjean wrote:
hi all
helen Exclamation

Hi Helen - I do something like this almost everyday. It's great for cheeks and NL folds. I put my thumbs inside the upper lip and my pointer fingers fold across the outside touching each other at the philtrum and then I pull down on lip (Actually pulling out the NL lines) while I "lift" my face trying to use the center muscles (I focus on center of eye area both sides).

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:02 am      Reply with quote
Hi
I knew there was somthing in it Very Happy
I have been doing flex effect, (not the lower facial exercises, as theses made my problem areas look worse) flex effect neck and under jaw.
ageless exercises (although I am only following her video demo, as I cant get the book or proper program yet) so I guess it is 20 of each exercise Exclamation . and facial flex because I have low cheek fat that I am trying to get rid off and this apparently gets rid of fat.Oh and lots of massage. I have 2 days off a week.
I have been doing this for 1 month and have just taken photos and there is a slight difference, my fatty cheeks have lessoned slightly and look more toned and my nasalfold have faded slightly. so I am very excited, I didnt expect much after one month, and was told I maybe doing too much, because I though I had the uglies one day. But I have kept going. although I do value any comments and advise people give me.
I have orderd the light stim and tua viso to add to my program.
with facial exercises they say give it one year to see tangible results, I have noticed the negative comments on the tua visa are normally from people that have only given it a couple of months, do you think the facial exercises are the same as the machine and its best to give the tua viso up to one year?
My god I have waffeled on.

helen

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:40 am      Reply with quote
Helen - You should try the Tanaka massage - this helps with lymph drainage which might help with the cheeks you're trying to work on. I love Tanaka - very restful and only takes 3 minutes. I'll get the link and attach.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:43 am      Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrceQS7qdaI&feature=PlayList&p=3E2EE7549E97F563&index=0

First part of Tanaka in English. The other parts will follow - you can click on them. The demo will take some time but once you have it you can zip through on your own. Well worth it Helen.
Best of luck. Sis

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:10 am      Reply with quote
thankyou sis,
i have done this , but it didnt feel like it would do much, i have a chi machine which i use for lymph drainage, this makes me feel energised, and im hoping it is anti-aging as well, it gets the oxygen moving round the body.
i will try the massage again, maybe i want doing it properly.
helen

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:29 am      Reply with quote
zina wrote:

Hi Zina,

You might want to check and make sure that you are not squashing your face into your pillow at night, too. Also, NL folds have a variety of sources, but yes, facial exercise can help and have help reduce these folds in people. For example, if you are lacking fullness in the upper check, the skin can fold into the NL area, creating folds. The answer to "isn't there a natural way" is in part to find the cause (e.g., poor sleeping position, muscle imbalance, not enough hydration) and then to address it. Smile

HTH Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
Great answer CM~ it is so true that sleeping on one side of your face can deepen nasal labial lines. Sleeping on your face will also create imbalance in the face because when you sleep on your face all night the skin becomes swollen and stretched. I have seen prominent dermatolgists say they can tell which side their patient sleeps because that side of the face will be more wrinkled. Recently, the American Academy of Dermatology even tecommended back sleeping to avoid nighttime wrinkles. Makes a lot of sense. It certainly should be easier for someone in their twenties to eliminate NL's by sleeping on their back, drinking plenty of water and eating a healthy diet. Aprile
zina
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:48 am      Reply with quote
well it is true that I sleep from one side -the more wrinkled one- but I just realised that I have broken vessels that create a shadow-hyperpigmentation at the NL fold making the problem more apparent..any recommendations about them?I read that laser doesn't work..
demi001
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:56 am      Reply with quote
jeanleemarquis wrote:
For anyone who's still following this thread-- I've been doing the Tanaka massage posted by critic in the Bone facial massage thread for about 2 weeks. I have to say, it's working!!!! There's this mirror in a dark hallway of my house with horrible lighting. I can't help it-- every time I go past, I have to check & see how the lines are doing, holding my chin down to make them the shadows look as bad as possible. Where are the lines? Where did they go? They are about 75% gone, I would say. My husband claims he can't see them at all-- I see room for just a little more improvement! Critic, thank you!!!! Very Happy

Hi there, would you please paste the link to the Tanaka massage post, I can't seem to find it. I really want to try the massage as my NL folds are quite prominent for my age (and I absolutely despise them!) and topicals do not seem to work.

Also, I'm thinking on getting the Tua Viso, has anyone used it with success on the NL folds?
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:07 am      Reply with quote
demi001 wrote:

Hi there, would you please paste the link to the Tanaka massage post, I can't seem to find it. I really want to try the massage as my NL folds are quite prominent for my age (and I absolutely despise them!) and topicals do not seem to work.

Also, I'm thinking on getting the Tua Viso, has anyone used it with success on the NL folds?

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=6404175&highlight=tanaka#6404175

for Tanaka.

Don't waste your money on a Tua Viso - you don't mention how old you are but personally for me, it was the most useless gadget I bought. I've used everything else regularly/occasionally except this.
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:23 am      Reply with quote
For me too...useless.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:31 am      Reply with quote
Thank you This is Miranda and Antonia for your inputs. I'm glad that I didn't buy the Tua Viso before asking. Also, thank you for posting the link to the Tanaka massage thread, I'll defninitely read it and give it a go!
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:12 am      Reply with quote
You are welcome demi...always trust a post from Miranda. She's a woman obsessed, in the nicest possible way, and very helpful. Oh yes, and it's her birthday tomorrow. Happy, happy birthday, Miranda! Very Happy

Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:56 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |