Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Nasolabial Folds--What's Worked and How Long Did It Take?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:38 am      Reply with quote
I don’t think you realise how harshly you come across sometimes when you say certain things, and for what it is worth I don’t agree with everything CM says either, but when I look at the photos I have to say that to me the first thought of it was about lighting and angles for sure. Re puffy eyes, well to be honest you have said in the past this was undone, but with puffy eyes (and my dear hubby has these all the times) it can be related to hundreds of things, from lack of sleep to even allergies (which he has a lot), so I’m just thinking aloud here did you have anything like that going on at the time?

Whats obvious to me is that many times you have spoken about FE and it seems like you are on a mission to put as many people off that product based on your past experience with them which was ages ago before the 3rd edition. Whats also interesting to me personally is that whilst you seem to despise that program, it didn’t stop you looking at things like cross stretching etc – why on earth would you do that if you hated it so? Just doesn’t add up to me personally.

I have to hold my hands up and say I don’t follow any one particular program completely and do chop and change, but I know that for a fact many others have spoken about doing similar and even program creators seem to be constantly developing their programs and taking it to new levels. But to me, anyone who says they follow one particular program consistently and still gets good results doesn’t add up to me. Otherwise we could do the same exercises over and over again for the body – and as we all know the body starts second guessing us and stops responding – so the face ain’t gonna be no different. So even when I hear people sing praises of such programs, I know they’ve got to be changing things up otherwise they would no doubt stop getting results.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:52 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
I don’t think you realise how harshly you come across sometimes when you say certain things, and for what it is worth I don’t agree with everything CM says either, but when I look at the photos I have to say that to me the first thought of it was about lighting and angles for sure. Re puffy eyes, well to be honest you have said in the past this was undone, but with puffy eyes (and my dear hubby has these all the times) it can be related to hundreds of things, from lack of sleep to even allergies (which he has a lot), so I’m just thinking aloud here did you have anything like that going on at the time?

Of course puffy eyes can be caused by a number of things. But when all things stay constant and only one thing changes, then that NEW thing has to be the only cause. And BTW, the reason I come off harshly is coz I hate it when people try to imply I'm lying or trying to pull wool over their eyes. I am particularly fed up with you TheresaMary and CM5597 who seem unable to accept the fact that FE does ruin faces and it did ruin mine and many of those who no longer do the program and are doing other programs. Every time anyone tries to share anything negative about that program, you jump on them to try to tear their posts apart, and after one's had to put up with this nonsense as often as I have, one's patience wears thin. So yes, I'm sick and tired of CM constantly trying to make it look like I make a big deal out of nothing. Then she tries to turn it around and make it look like my observations of the truth and my sharing of them is "unfair...and it fuels more people to be more harshly critical of themselves". Her clumsy psychology doesn't work on me. She points out the cup being half full alright, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but don't stop there. Do let everyone know that the cup was 100% full just before your favorite program came into the mix.

Quote:
Whats obvious to me is that many times you have spoken about FE and it seems like you are on a mission to put as many people off that product based on your past experience with them which was ages ago before the 3rd edition. Whats also interesting to me personally is that whilst you seem to despise that program, it didn’t stop you looking at things like cross stretching etc – why on earth would you do that if you hated it so? Just doesn’t add up to me personally.

Why do I still look at the FE program? Because I happen to live in America the land of the free and I can do whatever the heck I want. Because people don't like to see blood shed but it doesn't stop them staring at a train wreck. Because I love face exercises and have always been interested in anything to do with them, which is why I own more books than just the 2 programs I do. Because after I heard 3rd Edition was new and improved, I was curious to see what it is that I missed out on...but found it's the same ol' stuff with a few new additions. I am not on a mission to destroy FE. In fact, I only bring up FE, when a discussion that happens to require its mention, as in this topic, comes up. The topic is about N/L lines. I never had the aging sort that I would want to change with Eva and I don't have them with CFF...but I did get them with FE. What good am I to those who have them unless I share with them the part of my life that involved removing them. And it just so happens FE was responsible for me getting them so that I'd then need to remove them. I know you, TheresaMary would love for me to bury this under the carpet but unfortunately it's now part of my life. A part of my life that has given others hope because they know that they too can lift their faces even if they already have aging N/L lines. I would not be to give hope if I didn't have a before and after that showed "now you see pronounced lines and now you don't". I am not on a mission to destroy FE. I think FE by stubbornly not improving its program is doing it all by itself by messing up more faces and driving more people away. You must mistake me for someone who gives that program some thought when a topic doesn't revolve around things relevant to me and it. Now you on the other hand, your obvious animosity to Carolyn is amusing. If you're not picking her apart or saying something she has done is an imitation of something someone else is doing and usually erroneously, you are listing gurus who look good and Carolyn is always missed out. LOL Also when TheresaCats has shared about the damage from CFF, you don't see any CFFers saying she's on a mission to destroy CFF. Why are y'all so paranoid? Is it because for years you scared so many to silence so the fact that there's someone who is unafraid to shout it from the rooftops what y'all did to her face you can't stand it? Girl, please!

Quote:
I have to hold my hands up and say I don’t follow any one particular program completely and do chop and change, but I know that for a fact many others have spoken about doing similar and even program creators seem to be constantly developing their programs and taking it to new levels. But to me, anyone who says they follow one particular program consistently and still gets good results doesn’t add up to me. Otherwise we could do the same exercises over and over again for the body – and as we all know the body starts second guessing us and stops responding – so the face ain’t gonna be no different. So even when I hear people sing praises of such programs, I know they’ve got to be changing things up otherwise they would no doubt stop getting results.

You are too funny. You of course have never had as good a trainer as I did in Eva Fraser (and I never met the woman!) yet 15 years of her program ALONE gave me awesome results. And now in my 7th year of doing Carolyn's and Tom's ONLY I'm still having great results. You make me laugh at "they've got to be changing things up otherwise they would no doubt stop getting results". Well, this is what makes CFF the bomb dot com! It's dynamic. Carolyn's latest videos are examples of what I mean. She's always adding something new as her newsletters also showed. Plus she's good at her job and understands the face so well and from what I've heard from others, she has customized their workout to address their problems so if the basic workout stopped working for me, you can bet your bottom dollar I'd be calling/emailing Carolyn. And guess what, I'd still be doing CFF with whatever bonus exercises she gives me. And when I did Eva's program, after doing each section for so many months and moving on to Advanced, there were the bonus exercises to add to the mix.

It's just like life, until you find the one who fulfils you, you will probably get to date a few guys and may always be that sort of girl if you never find one who meets all your needs. Very Happy
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:32 am      Reply with quote
Wow pressed your buttons there I guessed. The truth is blatantly obvious for everyone to read, I’m not going to engage in an endless mind battle with you on this.
cna

Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:10 am      Reply with quote
I agree with everyone who said the Tanaka massage diminishes nasolabial lines/folds. I honestly didn't expect to see any results, but after doing the massage once or twice a day for 3 weeks, I can already see a difference. And this is coming from a 22-year-old who has always had some degree of these lines. It works for sure.

Also, as always, don't forget to use sunscreen daily, get all the necessary vitamins/minerals (especially Vit C and E), stay hydrated, and get enough sleep! Exercise also helps tremendously.
Irena

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:39 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone! These are the steps I take to reduce nl folds:

* prescription retinoid every night
* greens smoothies
* Tanaka massage 2x daily
* high spf zinc oxide sunblock
* reduce excessive smiling (tough to do)
* gets LOTS of sleep

However, the above steps have little effect if I skip this one crucial step- applying Neutrogena ion2biomineral concentrate 2x daily. (At night, I apply it after retinoid.) I have used this product under different names and brands (Aveeno used to have one that was d/c). It doesn't work for everyone (I've read some negative reviews). But, it works for me. If I stop using it for more than a week, I will develops deep nl troughs, punctuated by emphatic creases. Sometimes, I stop using this product to try a more expensive product. My creases always return when I do this.
I don't know why it works, and I can't say that it will work for anyone else. But, for me, it completely changes my face for the better.

For reference, I am 35. I started to have problems with nl lines @ age 29.

Roc has a similar product as well. I have to switch to the Roc product, because the Neutrogena product is now d/c too. These brands are all under Johnson and Johnson. It is basically the same product. The Roc product is a 2-step "retexturizing" product that contains a OTC retinol as step 1. I will use my Rx retinoid instead. I don't remember the name of the Roc product, but it claims to use "e-pulse" technology, if that helps.
Irena

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:48 am      Reply with quote
I just spot treat with the product I mentioned.
Bellastella
5% products discount

Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hello to all of you, first of all I wanna say thank you for all the information you have posted here, I am reading this whole thread, however I am only on page 7...and I dont intend to skip a page Smile
I am 37 and , although I complain a lot about crows feet and some forehead lines (just started pure retin A 0.025, ready to step up to 0.05) I always thought I am lucky with nasolabial folds, cos I have (or had!) a bit of a pouty, puffy mouth. NOW, what have I done wrong?? all of a sudden I am seeing deep lines...more like sagging of the cheeks. All I can think of is that I have turned vegetarian, since two months ago. Not that I loved red meat, I hardly ever had any, plus I eat very health, mostly fish. But now I can say I ve cut chicken etc. I only eat wheat twice a week cos else I feel bloated, and I also cut down on milk cos I thought maybe the folds are lactose problem...
I recently had a moisturiser with hexapeptide-8, which is the argireline, and I imagined that it was the problem, although I wonder how much it includes in it . I really dont know what to do....and I have started eating chicken again, as I think its all the fat that I ve lost. The cushioning on my face is gone...I actually plan to start eating like I was, meat and all.

Any ideas on what I should do, which exercise or which massage to follow? I started trying the facercise last week, only to target one or two areas, but it seems like I was rubbing my folds and I was ending up with two red lines...almost looked worse...so now I do not want to rub them again.

I would really appreciate if someone would give me an insight about whether it is the actual fact thats i ve turned vegetarian, and also whether my face can go back to how it was. I do lost weight from my face, I can say. Strangely enough, from nowhere else.

Thank you and please guide me and post a reply.

Cheers
Stella
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:20 am      Reply with quote
Bellastella,

It seems like the most likely culprit is the retin A that you started. This is a common pattern that some people initially have. You may need to back off for a while. Though it sounds like you have changed several things at the same time. In the future, it's helpful to change only one thing at a time: i.e., do the diet change, wait a few weeks, then do retin A, etc. That way, you can know what the culprit is Smile

Other things to consider are: Have you lost any weight or changed any of your other habits recently?

Regarding diet, vegetarianism is fantastic. However, you can be healthy or not healthy on a vegetarian diet; it all depends on what you personally eat. I highly recommend the books "Becoming Vegetarian" and "Becoming Vegan". The most common pitfalls are not eating enough calories, too many refined/processed foods, too much dairy, too much soy, gluten (for some people), and too many nuts and seeds or vegetable oils (imbalances omega-3 to omega-6 ratio). In sum, the general advice given to vegetarians to be healthy is to focus on eating lots of fruits and vegetables, beans/grains (depending on how certain ones agree with your digestion), and smaller amounts of nuts/seeds, dairy, and soy. A source of omega-3 fatty acids (flax, chia) is also key for your skin.

Take care xx

5% products discount

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:05 am      Reply with quote
CM, I am so sad. I dont use retin A anywhere else other than my forehead! Nowhere else. And its only 0.025. And i have no reacton to it, no redness or flakiness.

I cant beleive I have created this!!! My face was always round, I always had that roundness around my mouth, nice and puffy and pouty...now I ve created nasolabials! Overnight!

I never really eaten a lot of red meat, so I dont know how turning into a vegetarian has created this....Now i just started eating everything again! I did start to have the green smoothies and they are delicious, but I noticed that I wasnt getting hungry so I was skipping meals, and I dont want to lose any more weight or fat from my face! So I have to stop that too.

What could also be is that, the time I have cut meat, I was also in a 6 week period where I was working so hard (I work on a yacht and we had guests on board for 6 whole weeks). That means working 16 to 18 hour days...so instead of eating more I was eating less..and not much rest too...

I really do need help Sad I think since I never had them before, the best solution would be eating normally again, (I was even cutting down on wheat and only eating wheat on the fourth day of the week, then again doing 3 days without it) and I ve also cut down milk cos someone here said that they had experience great results by cutting milk and wheat. In my case I was losing more fat from my face, cos obvously i ws eating less calories.

I also noticed now that, in the last 3 weeks, I have also lost weight overall...(which is great!) even though I didnt really need to. But I look good. I also do cardio four times a week..

I take supplements: Omega 3, Multi Daily vitamin, Vitamin C 1000mg, Collagen tablets 3 a day before bed time, Vitamin E supplent and a B 12.

I use a vit C Serum in the morning all over my face and Retin A 0.025 ONLY on forehead at night.

any help would be greatly greatly appreciated! I will be posting some pics later.

Also, would facial exercise help me?

cheers everybody, thanks

Bella
agatha
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Bellastella,

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. It is always the worst when we believe that we ourselves caused some problem which now we don't know how to undo it! Sad

Although I'm not a very knowledgeable in the field of nutrition, I really don't believe that turning vegetarian would cause these NL folds to appear. I have many friends that are vegetarians, many of them have a wonderful skin. I myself am not a vegetarian, but I still have problem in NL area.
What potentially could be the problem is that you didn't substitute all nutrients that you've been receiving through meat with the new food choices. I know that protein is quite often quoted here as one of the culprits for lacking in facial fat, so make sure that you are getting enough of that (especially if you exercise 4 times a week!). My NLs first appeared after a crash diet (at that time I was also exercising a lot and didn't pay attention to my diet - I too rarely feel hungry Smile).

And don't be too hard on yourself Smile. Many of us here did something to ourselves that we are now trying to fix it Smile.

Bellastella wrote:

I cant beleive I have created this!!! My face was always round, I always had that roundness around my mouth, nice and puffy and pouty...now I ve created nasolabials! Overnight!

I never really eaten a lot of red meat, so I dont know how turning into a vegetarian has created this....Now i just started eating everything again! I did start to have the green smoothies and they are delicious, but I noticed that I wasnt getting hungry so I was skipping meals, and I dont want to lose any more weight or fat from my face! So I have to stop that too.

What could also be is that, the time I have cut meat, I was also in a 6 week period where I was working so hard (I work on a yacht and we had guests on board for 6 whole weeks). That means working 16 to 18 hour days...so instead of eating more I was eating less..and not much rest too...

I really do need help Sad I think since I never had them before, the best solution would be eating normally again, (I was even cutting down on wheat and only eating wheat on the fourth day of the week, then again doing 3 days without it) and I ve also cut down milk cos someone here said that they had experience great results by cutting milk and wheat. In my case I was losing more fat from my face, cos obvously i ws eating less calories.

I also noticed now that, in the last 3 weeks, I have also lost weight overall...(which is great!) even though I didnt really need to. But I look good. I also do cardio four times a week..

I take supplements: Omega 3, Multi Daily vitamin, Vitamin C 1000mg, Collagen tablets 3 a day before bed time, Vitamin E supplent and a B 12.

I use a vit C Serum in the morning all over my face and Retin A 0.025 ONLY on forehead at night.

any help would be greatly greatly appreciated! I will be posting some pics later.

Also, would facial exercise help me?

cheers everybody, thanks

Bella
Bellastella
5% products discount

Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
Agatha

Thats basically what I did, isnt it? A crash diet. I am always doing some sort of diet...whenever my clothes feel a bit tight, i cut down on food a bit....but I think what happened this time, I cut down on a LOT of food (wheeat, lactose, meat) just when I needed it most....as I said I had guests on board for 6 weeks, I hardly had time to eat...but I did snack a lot. Obviously on fruit, veggies, and nuts. And pasta once or twice a week...

I do feel sad cos I go see my family soon and my mum is gonna go 'What the .....did you do???' (My mu's name is Agatha like you Smile

I feel that my cheeks have gone flat and my mouth lost its roundness...I hope i can built it up again since I started eating a bit of chicken now..(which i miss), and I did eat some red meat last week.

I really hope I can start some exercises too...I felt that the Facercise, whilst doing it I felt like i was rubbing them with my fingers and they were getting more and more pronounced. any idea whether the Flex Effect would be beneficial for me?

thank you all for the support!

Stella
agatha
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
I think you really need to give it some time for your body (and face) to adjust to those rapid diet changes (both the negative and the positive ones that you are just introducing). If you feel better when you consume meat, then maybe that's what you should do know. If you'd like to eventually go vegetarian, you can take this time to educate yourself about how this transition should be made, what you should pay attention to and what you may be lacking if you just cut out meat from your meals and don't substitute it accordingly. As I said before, I'm not a vegetarian, but I would imagine it is more than just deciding one day that you'll stop to eat meat. So I would give my body time to heal from the crash diet, adjust to new food regime and then slowly start introducing some changes.

Regarding facial exercises, I'm somewhat scared to offer you any advice on this subject (they are commonly linked to heated discussions here on the board).
My opinion is that they do work (to some extent), but they can also cause more harm than good. These exercises target very small, delicate muscles (compared to the ones you train in the gym) and if one has a great control over them and can isolate them, then great. However, until you do gain this control you may go through awkward phases, overbuilding some muscles and end up looking worse than before. That happened to me. And then I started getting all those lovely questions from my mother that you fear too Smile. And since some muscles sucked in, I looked like I've lost a lot of weight in my face (and people kept telling me that I looked so skinny, which made me feel even worse!). In spite of everything, I still believe that you can get some benefit from these exercises, just be very careful! They did reduce the appearance of my NL lines, but the overall face looked so tired and skinny, so I wished my former cheeks and NL lines were back Smile. If I were you, I would first change my diet, let some time pass and then start trying out new things, but it's up to you!

Good luck!!!

Bellastella wrote:
Agatha

Thats basically what I did, isnt it? A crash diet. I am always doing some sort of diet...whenever my clothes feel a bit tight, i cut down on food a bit....but I think what happened this time, I cut down on a LOT of food (wheeat, lactose, meat) just when I needed it most....as I said I had guests on board for 6 weeks, I hardly had time to eat...but I did snack a lot. Obviously on fruit, veggies, and nuts. And pasta once or twice a week...

I do feel sad cos I go see my family soon and my mum is gonna go 'What the .....did you do???' (My mu's name is Agatha like you Smile

I feel that my cheeks have gone flat and my mouth lost its roundness...I hope i can built it up again since I started eating a bit of chicken now..(which i miss), and I did eat some red meat last week.

I really hope I can start some exercises too...I felt that the Facercise, whilst doing it I felt like i was rubbing them with my fingers and they were getting more and more pronounced. any idea whether the Flex Effect would be beneficial for me?

thank you all for the support!

Stella
Bellastella
5% products discount

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
Agatha, thank you so much and I really appreciate your time to reply.

Thats what I basically did...I woke up one morning and said I am gonna be a vegetarian...(whilst I was working hard for those 6 weeks in a row MOnday to sunday). First thing I noticed was I was getting very white, probably also due to tiredness, apart from lack of nutrients..

Last friday it was the first time i ve eaten some red meat, yesterday was the second. As I said I am not a huge fan but once in a while its ok. after all, in the evening, otherwise I would end up eating a lot pasta or rice, which I feel goes in the wrong areas. ~Sometimes after a gym session or a cardio , vegetables and tuna is not enough.

I have noticed though that my face is getting better, strangely enough ! I ve started chicken two weeks ago though...and now red meat maybe once a week. I drink normal milk full fat now(I heard its good for face fat! Someone said if you drink half a litre of milk everyday you will see great results to build fat in your face, but half a litre is a bit too much for me Laughing )

I am also trying out the Tanaka massage as it seems like its good for overall face. I only just started.

Thanks for your opinion about the facial exercises. I think I should wait a bit before I start something now. However my search to smooth out forehead lines and crows feet will continue! Any magic product out there? I guess I will have to post in another thread.

Will keep you all posted and will let you know when my nasolabial disappear!
redforhire

Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:04 am      Reply with quote
what do you guys think about shiseido claim that naso lines are only caused by gylcation and can be healed with green tea or "Rubus suavissimus"
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:47 am      Reply with quote
redforhire wrote:
what do you guys think about shiseido claim that naso lines are only caused by gylcation and can be healed with green tea or "Rubus suavissimus"

I'd love to try the rubus suavissimus - so far I havent found a vendor. Anyone tried it or know how to get some?
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:51 am      Reply with quote
Bellastella wrote:
However my search to smooth out forehead lines and crows feet will continue! Any magic product out there? I guess I will have to post in another thread.

This thread addresses the forehead issues with the Safetox device and my before and after photos are on this page....maybe this will give you an avenue to search.
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29913&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=safetox&start=50

5% products discount

Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:34 am      Reply with quote
Toby, thank you so much SmileI PM'd you. Also, anybody thinks that pure hyaluronic acid can improve any folds? I have been using it before my moisturiser for a while, but I finished it a couple of weeks ago, and I guess that was helping plumping the face especially around the mouth area...
Stella
agatha
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:

This thread addresses the forehead issues with the Safetox device and my before and after photos are on this page....maybe this will give you an avenue to search.
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29913&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=safetox&start=50

Toby, your results are beyond fabulous! Did you perhaps have any success with safetox in NL or eye area as well?
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
There is nothing that excites me like microcurrent. The safetox opened up my eye area,
lifted the upper eye lids and opened up the upper face. I didn't see change with the n/l area with the Safetox but I did have success with that area using microcurrent treatments done with the nuface and also my professional microcurrent machine.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
Toby, amen! I've lifted many a client's NL folds with microcurrent. I show my cheek lifting method in lots of my microcurrent tutorial videos. But I just wanted to chime in and say that microcurrent ABSOLUTELY lifts this area.

Cheers,
Christine Byer
Master Esthetician

My vids in case you're interested:
http://www.youtube.com/user/christinebyer/videos?flow=grid&view=0

Licensed Esthetician 19+ years - Specializing in microcurrent facial toning, NeoGenesis Skincare, Jade Microcurrent (Pro Use), Clareblend Mini (Home use) https://ChristineByer.com • www.youtube.com/user/christinebyer/videos
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
I'm 42 and have no nasolabial folds. I use CP, eat a diet that is almost totally free of unsaturated oils (no fish oil, olive oil, vegetable oil and also few grains and vegetables), scrub with a Clarisonic, use sunscreen and avoid sun, do not do labor intensive exercise (no jogging), use a Nuface once in a while and do yearly TCA peels. Once in a while I do a lactic acid peel. I use progesterone cream the 2nd half of my cycle and eat a lot of coconut oil. I also put no vegetable or unsaturated oils on my face.
morocha
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
Irena wrote:
Hi everyone! These are the steps I take to reduce nl folds:

* prescription retinoid every night
* greens smoothies
* Tanaka massage 2x daily
* high spf zinc oxide sunblock
* reduce excessive smiling (tough to do)
* gets LOTS of sleep

However, the above steps have little effect if I skip this one crucial step- applying Neutrogena ion2biomineral concentrate 2x daily. (At night, I apply it after retinoid.) I have used this product under different names and brands (Aveeno used to have one that was d/c). It doesn't work for everyone (I've read some negative reviews). But, it works for me. If I stop using it for more than a week, I will develops deep nl troughs, punctuated by emphatic creases. Sometimes, I stop using this product to try a more expensive product. My creases always return when I do this.
I don't know why it works, and I can't say that it will work for anyone else. But, for me, it completely changes my face for the better.

For reference, I am 35. I started to have problems with nl lines @ age 29.

Roc has a similar product as well. I have to switch to the Roc product, because the Neutrogena product is now d/c too. These brands are all under Johnson and Johnson. It is basically the same product. The Roc product is a 2-step "retexturizing" product that contains a OTC retinol as step 1. I will use my Rx retinoid instead. I don't remember the name of the Roc product, but it claims to use "e-pulse" technology, if that helps.

This sounds really promising!
jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:24 am      Reply with quote
Never limit how much you smile! Smiling builds cheek muscles that lift your whole face, including the NL area. Your skin health from the inside out is what determines how well your skin snaps backs after smiling.

Besides, smiling is good for your soul and creates a light within you that is way more youthful than a line-less face.

Otherwise, I think all the advice in this thread is great! Smile

Almost 40! with sensitive/responsive skin, using facial exercises very lightly. Derminator or prof micropen just a few times a year. AQ eye serum (great for lash growth too) on occasion. Otherwise natural skin care products.
morocha
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
jenp7 wrote:
Never limit how much you smile! Smiling builds cheek muscles that lift your whole face, including the NL area. Your skin health from the inside out is what determines how well your skin snaps backs after smiling.

Besides, smiling is good for your soul and creates a light within you that is way more youthful than a line-less face.

Otherwise, I think all the advice in this thread is great! Smile

I thought smiling creates nasolabial lines?
Could you please clarify this to me?
jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
Smiling doesn't necessarily cause NL lines because children smile all the time with no lines. Additionally there are plenty of adults with great skin who smile often and do not have heavy NL lines.

I think that area could form lines because of creasing the skin through talking, yawning, smiling, eating, etc, but if your skin and body are in good health (and I also believe in facial massage of the area) you do not necessarily have to develop these lines. Also, building up of muscle around the mouth (think "kissing the ceiling" exercises) help to plump up the area on either side of your mouth.

I think not smiling is more responsible for NL folds..because cheek muscle atrophy and sagging probably account for a lot of the "folding" going on in the NL area. Your "apples" on your cheeks are formed in part by smiling. This fullness lifts the skin in your lower face, including the skin that would fold over the NL area. This is why smiling in part would possibly help prevent NL folds (as would appropriate cheek exercises).

I would think the depressing nature of not smiling would do more bad to your face than good. Ayurvedic medicine suggests that people smile more to balance their bodies doshas and increase "ojas", which is the youthful "light" you can see in someone's face... something you cannot get out of any bottle.

Also, very light lines in that area are on people of all ages... I don't think they are as aging as NL folds.

Almost 40! with sensitive/responsive skin, using facial exercises very lightly. Derminator or prof micropen just a few times a year. AQ eye serum (great for lash growth too) on occasion. Otherwise natural skin care products.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:31 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |