Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Retin-A, and lightning in skin color
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
marw

Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:45 am      Reply with quote
Hi!

I've read that Retin-A, can make your skin color more lighter, and decrease the formulation of melanin in the skin. Is this true?

Have any of you experienced a change in your face color after using it?

I'm also a bit concerned about its thinning effect to the skin. Will this happen only when you're using it, or is this permanent (even after stopping the treatment)?
DuckDuck
5% products discount

Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
Marw

Retin A doesn't really lighten my skin, at MAC I'm a NC30. I would say that it makes a slight difference, but not SO great that I would call it a lightening cream. It just gets rid of acne scars, and kind of balances your own natural skin tone, and makes you glow a bit. So I suppose it could SEEM lighter, but doesn't lighten...for me at least.

Remember, your skin gets worse before it gets better (or so I've been told), so peeling, etc, is expected, and then 6 months later, wala! beautiful skin. I'm on month 2 right now... and excited/scared.

I had dark discoloration, lightly, around my lips and it has faded somewhat. I suppose I should wait the 6 months and then I'll know for sure... hmm...

I used to use Retin A years ago, and I stopped because I couldn't handle the peeling. I just put on a lot of moisturizer and my skin got back to normal. As for the thinning, I don't know if it got back to normal, because I don't remember my skin really thinning for that matter....not so much that I would notice at least.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
This is from dermadoctor:

Tretinoin and Retinol

The active agent found in such medications as Retin A, Avita and Renova, tretinoin increases cellular turnover, expediting the exfoliation process, thus eliminating pigment already pooled in the epidermis. By increasing the rate of cellular turnover, melanocytes have less time to be able to pass melanosomes on to keratinocytes

And Beta carotene, which is also a form of Vitamin A:

Beta Carotene

This photoprotection constituent of carrot oil reduces pigment formation by blocking tyrosinase receptors on the melanocyte. In doing so, the enzyme tyrosinase can't "turn on" the melanocyte to produce melanin.

http://www.dermadoctor.com/article_Skin-Bleaching_79.html
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, it's true. By my own personal experience, my skin is lightening. The spots are there still but getting a bit lighter. Hope that they'll all be gone one day.
MarieIG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't noticed any lightening, but mixed with Obagi Blender now, that was a different story.

5% products discount

Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Marw

I've found that my skin is lighter than it used to be. Not necessarily because the Retin-A is lightening it, but because of all the cell renewal/turnover that Retin-A stimulates. I can't seem to hold a tan on my face,let alone get tanned and love being tanned:O( I also started using a strong sunscreen daily since using Retin-A (20% zinc oxide), and this has definitely contributed to my paleness. Naturally, using fake tanner on my face doesn't work since Retin-A just gets in the way of it so I now just fake a tan with a tinted moisturiser or bronzer.

If you're really concerned about becoming lighter, just make sure you don't use your Retin-A in combo with hydroquinone and you should be OK.
marw

Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:41 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the informative inputs!!

gb00, interesting read! Btw, I originally got prescribed Retin-A with Obagi Blender (hydroquinone). Glad I checked up about that.

DuckDuck, good luck on your treatment! Excellent to hear that it can get rid of acne scars as well. And as you mentioned, I've seen some pics of people using Retin A - and their face definitely glow more (even look a bit oily to me). Could the balancing in skin tone cause such tanning "problems"?

Still a bit concerned.. as I'm pretty satisfied with my skin color as it is, and I'm getting a nice tan easily. (Not something I want to sacrifice) - But I guess I'm worrying way too much here.. Razz
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:51 am      Reply with quote
I'm not sure it would make the skin lighter, but it will increase its sensitivity to sunlight, UVA and UVB's which is why its often recommended that a good sunscreen be used in conjunction with it.

Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:59 am      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:
I'm not sure it would make the skin lighter, but it will increase its sensitivity to sunlight, UVA and UVB's which is why its often recommended that a good sunscreen be used in conjunction with it.

But this is only DURING treatment, right? Should be back to normal after finishing?
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:13 am      Reply with quote
I guess so, but I would think sun protection (UVA and UVB) is something that people should be doing to protect their skin even if they don't use Retin A or retinoids. Sundamage doesn't always show up right away, because the rays can penerate deep into the derma and sometimes takes many years to make its presence known.

I'm not sure that once Retin A is stopped that it immediately returns to its previous state, I think it takes a little while to readjust, however the long term benefits of Retin A really only come from its long term usage - the original studies were all done over a year and more of nightly applications. I think nightly applications can be a waste of product, but using it every other night allows you to supply the resources to the skin and tissue.

Sean
marw wrote:
SeanySeanUK wrote:

But this is only DURING treatment, right? Should be back to normal after finishing?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:34 am      Reply with quote
Hi Marw,

My experience has been the same as DuckDucks, Retin-A didn't lighten my skin but evened out my skin tone after some time and gave me more of a glow. I would say it improved my color.

I found Vit. C serums lighten my skin much more than Retin-A. I also agree with SeanySean that Retin-a's benefits come from longer term use and you really need to use a sunscreen at all times when outdoors.

I don't think I would want to be trying to get a tan while on Retin-A but maybe use some bronzer instead to get some color. That's what I do anyways. Hope this helps.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:39 am      Reply with quote
I have had some overall lightening effects from using retin A, but it is subtle. I used to be more olive skin toned back in the days when I would indulge myself in getting a tan. Now that I avoid the sun, my skin tone is less olive, and probably lighter (less yellow) than my natural, untanned state. Retin A's definitely eliminated the terrible sun damage hyperpigmentation I had when I first started using it, altho' it took a year or more. I think if you stop using it, your skin WILL NOT continue to "thin."

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:38 am      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:
the original studies were all done over a year and more of nightly applications. I think nightly applications can be a waste of product, but using it every other night allows you to supply the resources to the skin and tissue.

This is interesting, Sean. Why do you feel that nightly applications of RA are a waste of the product (especially considering the studies were done utilizing nightly application)? (This was a reply I received from Dr. Fernandes of Environ regarding Retin A. "please remember that retinoic acid (Retin-A) cannot be stored so whatever you put on your skin and is absorbed, if it cannot be absorbed into the cells becomes an irritant and so on the nights when you not using it your levels are dropping. "

I am very interested in your thoughts on this.
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:48 am      Reply with quote
I partly think this because of other studies I have read. I remember another study (although not done for the same length of time as the others was for 8 months in total) indicated that using it every other night compromised the body’s ability to utilize it and ultimately used more product than was actually required by the participants in the study. They also came to the conclusion that using it every other night provided the body with adequate supply of the topical, but the days rest allowed signs of iritation to settle, and that the same benefits were derived compared with people using it nightly, in fact it showed that the every other night had less signs of iritation than those using it every night. I think there have been a couple of studies suggesting similar.

I do like Dr Fernandes, and suppose if someone was using the Environ products (which don’t require a prescription and thus are much weaker than prescription Retin A), then nightly use is fine. But I still doubt that applying it nightly benefits the skin, as I think that most topical penetrate throughout the night. Take for instance the Retin A Microgel. Its time released, so you don’t get the immediate hit of the 0.1% all at once, it releases from the gel based throughout the night delivering 0.1% in parts rather than all at once.

Sean
rileygirl wrote:
SeanySeanUK wrote:
the original studies were all done over a year and more of nightly applications. I think nightly applications can be a waste of product, but using it every other night allows you to supply the resources to the skin and tissue.

This is interesting, Sean. Why do you feel that nightly applications of RA are a waste of the product (especially considering the studies were done utilizing nightly application)? (This was a reply I received from Dr. Fernandes of Environ regarding Retin A. "please remember that retinoic acid (Retin-A) cannot be stored so whatever you put on your skin and is absorbed, if it cannot be absorbed into the cells becomes an irritant and so on the nights when you not using it your levels are dropping. "

I am very interested in your thoughts on this.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:35 am      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:
I partly think this because of other studies I have read. I remember another study (although not done for the same length of time as the others was for 8 months in total) indicated that using it every other night compromised the body’s ability to utilize it and ultimately used more product than was actually required by the participants in the study. They also came to the conclusion that using it every other night provided the body with adequate supply of the topical, but the days rest allowed signs of iritation to settle, and that the same benefits were derived compared with people using it nightly, in fact it showed that the every other night had less signs of iritation than those using it every night. I think there have been a couple of studies suggesting similar.

Thanks so much, Sean. This has been a question in my mind for a long time, if daily use of RA is truly needed or not. If you happen to have any of those studies that you have read, could you provide links?
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:18 am      Reply with quote
Although I don't have any studies to hand, the best place for studies re Retin A is Pubmed, they have hundreds and the search facility there is really good!
rileygirl wrote:
SeanySeanUK wrote:

Thanks so much, Sean. This has been a question in my mind for a long time, if daily use of RA is truly needed or not. If you happen to have any of those studies that you have read, could you provide links?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
While I was on accutane, I noticed a great deal of lightening. It completely evened out my skin tone to the point where I needed zero makeup...and it was permanent...until I thoroughly messed up my skin with other products.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
Coconut wrote:
While I was on accutane, I noticed a great deal of lightening. It completely evened out my skin tone to the point where I needed zero makeup...and it was permanent...until I thoroughly messed up my skin with other products.

Coconut, what other products do you feel messed up your skin?
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Coconut wrote:

Coconut, what other products do you feel messed up your skin?

Hydroquinone was the main culprit (glytone cream I believe it was). My skin was nearly perfect, save for a small patch of pigmentation around my mouth that you couldn't really see unless I tilted my head at certain angles, but I thought that my results could only get better if I used hydroquinone...nope, I was dead wrong! It lead to an extraordinary amount of rebound pigmentation that I haven't been able to get rid of to this day (which I think is in part because I drove it into the dermis by using so many irritating products to try and reverse the damage)
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, Coconut. I am very sorry to hear what happened to your skin after using HQ. I love HQ and it worked really well for my skin, but I cannot stay on it long, so no sense in using it at all!
janegd
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:03 am      Reply with quote
Coconut wrote:

how long were you with accutane, coconut,and was there any irritation or things like with obagi? it seems to be very interesting...
marw

Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks a lot for all the replies! Very Happy

- I guess I can conclude with, that Retin-A, shouldn't decrease my pigmentation to the point that it would look more lighten.

- Its thinning effect would be permanent.

- And in some cases the skin can become a bit more sensitive, also after finishing the treatment.
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
janegd wrote:
Coconut wrote:

how long were you with accutane, coconut,and was there any irritation or things like with obagi? it seems to be very interesting...

Hello,
I was on accutane for 3 months. My skin was quite dry, and it was constantly sloughing off (which is likely where the lightening effect comes from), but there was no irritation, it was just like dead on skin coming off.
jacloo11
5% products discount

Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:53 am      Reply with quote
Retin A causes light peeling, which may be the reason why you see skin lightening effect. Sunscreen is advised to protect the skin from damages from the UV rays.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:45 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |