Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
dry hair and breakages - is it hormonal or is it shampoo?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
I keep changing shampoo. When I thought I might find The One, then 2 uses later, back to the same old same old. Now I wonder could it be hormonal? How do I get my hair health back?
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
Im not a huge help, however I have a hormone imbalance PCOS and was finding my hair was snapping and falling from the root. I stick to shampoos that are hydrating and free from any form of SLS's. Also I have used nioxin in the past with great results this shampoo has SLS but is the only exception as I this reduces hair fall out.
Also I have been on adiet recently that lacked good fats and my hair fell out in clumps. I now am sure to take fish oils aswell as include a decent portion of good fats back in my diet including olive oil, avocados and nuts. I only wash my hair every 3-4 days and do a treatment atleast once a week.
Hope you can pull something from that:)
pleiades
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:18 am      Reply with quote
I'm afraid I'm not the biggest help, either, but I switched up conditioners (changed from Pantene), and added MSM (up to 6000mg per day) to my diet. I'm going to guess it's the addition of MSM which truly made the difference.
HTH Smile
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:39 am      Reply with quote
I found biotin made a big difference for my hair. I take between 2,500-3,000 mcg daily.

Hormones/thyroid can cause issues with your hair. If you have some other symptoms, I'd check with your dr.

Is your hair chemically treated at all? Do you use any styling tools daily?

You might try switching to a SLS free shampoo, there is a recent someone where here with lots of suggestions. Or consider doing Condition Only wash.

Also make sure your hair is not getting too much protein, this is can be really drying.

You might want to consider a water filter. hard water can make your hair feel awful.
photoqueen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:47 am      Reply with quote
Bira wrote:
I keep changing shampoo. When I thought I might find The One, then 2 uses later, back to the same old same old. Now I wonder could it be hormonal? How do I get my hair health back?

Breakage can be related to a hormone imbalance, the other reasons that are hair related rather diet or hormonal relate to the structure of the hair and the products you are using.

The test the condition of your hair, you need to do a strand test:
Wash your hair
Take about tiny bundle of hairs - 3/4 hairs and stretch the hair until you feel resistance
If the hair breaks then you have a lack of protein in the hair shaft, if the hair stretches and does not return to the original length you have a moisture imbalance in the hair structure.
If the hair springs back on stretch on the hair is balanced.

Things to correct a lack of protein, use protein enriched products, lots on the market, if the hair requires moisture, use moisture enriched, but don't confuse with oil back treatment packs, these don't address these issues.

The key element that damages the hair is if the the product in not acid balanced - for example baby shampoo has a PH of 7.0 to 7.3 so is neutral, the PH of the hair and skin is 5.5 so the hair is damaged by the neutral PH product, so in a nutshell make sure you using products that maintain the acid mantle of the skin and hair.

If your hair is still breaking, go and see a trichologist - details at:
http://www.trichologists.org.uk/

I studied the course but didn't take the exam so go and see a qualified person and they will help you fix your hair.

PQ

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:49 am      Reply with quote
I have used this range of products to repair hair so they do work in my experience:

http://www.mastey.net/category.php?c=3

PQ

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
pal wrote:
Im not a huge help, however I have a hormone imbalance PCOS and was finding my hair was snapping and falling from the root. I stick to shampoos that are hydrating and free from any form of SLS's. Also I have used nioxin in the past with great results this shampoo has SLS but is the only exception as I this reduces hair fall out.
Also I have been on adiet recently that lacked good fats and my hair fell out in clumps. I now am sure to take fish oils aswell as include a decent portion of good fats back in my diet including olive oil, avocados and nuts. I only wash my hair every 3-4 days and do a treatment atleast once a week.
Hope you can pull something from that:)

Hello, thank you. You are a big help. Any help is appreciated as I'm running out of ideas. LOL I was taking fish oil but can't stand the fishy taste, so I'm drinking chia seeds which are supposed to have good omega 3. I wash my hair every 3-4 days, too. I'm not doing any treatment right now though. Maybe I should.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
pleiades wrote:
I'm afraid I'm not the biggest help, either, but I switched up conditioners (changed from Pantene), and added MSM (up to 6000mg per day) to my diet. I'm going to guess it's the addition of MSM which truly made the difference.
HTH Smile

Hello, pleiades, i was wondering how do you take MSM 6000 mg per day? Is it in powder form? Right now I'm taking 1000 mg a day. It's powder and very bitter. If you take powder, do you split it up like 6 times a day? If so, I think I can handle that.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
I found biotin made a big difference for my hair. I take between 2,500-3,000 mcg daily.

Hormones/thyroid can cause issues with your hair. If you have some other symptoms, I'd check with your dr.

Is your hair chemically treated at all? Do you use any styling tools daily?

You might try switching to a SLS free shampoo, there is a recent someone where here with lots of suggestions. Or consider doing Condition Only wash.

Also make sure your hair is not getting too much protein, this is can be really drying.

You might want to consider a water filter. hard water can make your hair feel awful.

Hi GG,

No, my hair is not chemically treated since I'm too scared it'd worse the problems.

Oh you read my mind! I was just thinking to install water softener for my whole house. I wonder how expensive that would be. My skin is dry, too. I think it has to do with the chemicals in the water.

By the way, do you take pure biotin, or do you take the one that comes with other skin hair nail vitamins?
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
photoqueen wrote:
Bira wrote:

Breakage can be related to a hormone imbalance, the other reasons that are hair related rather diet or hormonal relate to the structure of the hair and the products you are using.

The test the condition of your hair, you need to do a strand test:
Wash your hair
Take about tiny bundle of hairs - 3/4 hairs and stretch the hair until you feel resistance
If the hair breaks then you have a lack of protein in the hair shaft, if the hair stretches and does not return to the original length you have a moisture imbalance in the hair structure.
If the hair springs back on stretch on the hair is balanced.

Things to correct a lack of protein, use protein enriched products, lots on the market, if the hair requires moisture, use moisture enriched, but don't confuse with oil back treatment packs, these don't address these issues.

The key element that damages the hair is if the the product in not acid balanced - for example baby shampoo has a PH of 7.0 to 7.3 so is neutral, the PH of the hair and skin is 5.5 so the hair is damaged by the neutral PH product, so in a nutshell make sure you using products that maintain the acid mantle of the skin and hair.

If your hair is still breaking, go and see a trichologist - details at:
http://www.trichologists.org.uk/

I studied the course but didn't take the exam so go and see a qualified person and they will help you fix your hair.

PQ

Wow, PQ, thanks for the info. I heard about a place where I can send my hair for them to analyze. I have been wanting to do that. They promise that if your hair will benefit from the treatment (like shampoo I think), it will help regrow hair that was lost. I have not yet seen thinning issue, but so much is lost each wash. It is scaring me.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
photoqueen wrote:
I have used this range of products to repair hair so they do work in my experience:

http://www.mastey.net/category.php?c=3

PQ

I really appreciate the link! Will they ship to the USA? OH, never mind. lol They're in the US. I thought the name Paris meant they're in France. LOL
pleiades
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:52 am      Reply with quote
Bira wrote:
pleiades wrote:
HTH Smile

Hello, pleiades, i was wondering how do you take MSM 6000 mg per day? Is it in powder form? Right now I'm taking 1000 mg a day. It's powder and very bitter. If you take powder, do you split it up like 6 times a day? If so, I think I can handle that.

Hi Bira! I take MSM in 1000mg capsules; 3 caps in the morning and 3 caps 12 hours later. Here's a link which has been posted previously by another member: http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-MSM-Methyl-sulfonylmethane Very economical, so I order my supply from them. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |