Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Does Obagi make skin thicker or thinner?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
evansmama
5% products discount

Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
I have been reading on line that Retin-A helps make the skin thicker. I was told today by an esthetician that I shouldn't be using Retin-A everyday with Obagi because it is making my skin thin Confused Is the thinning skin because of Obagi? It can't be the Retin-A can it? I've only been using Obagi for 5 weeks now and am loving the way my skin is looking. It does look thinner but I thought it was just the Obagi process that I have to go through?
I thought Obagi didn't really work without some type of Retin-A. I am so confused. Can anyone help me? Sad
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:22 pm      Reply with quote
Are you using the hydrocortisone cream that it comes with? I think it is called tolerene. It can thin the skin (as can any topical steroid, even the weak ones like 1% hydrocortisone). Retin A mitigates this somewhat but not completely. That is why they always say to use topical steroids for short term "emergency" situations only, like when you have an allergic reaction to a product for example. Also when you start with retin A it makes the first layer of the skin thinner initially. I did find that Obagi was too harsh for me, and when I was on it my dentist commented that my skin looked very sensitive and thin. I would lay off the exfoderm too, which I think can exfoliate too much when your skin is already exfoliated from the Retin A. I never understood why they would have us use Retin A plus AHAs, that is a big no-no, unless you have very resistant skin. But hey, it seems to work for some people! Not me though.

I can tell you that Retin A does make the skin thicker over time, but it can take months. There have been studies to show this.
evansmama
5% products discount

Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:52 am      Reply with quote
No. I have never used Tolereen! I have been using Renova for years too! I did step up from .05 to 1.0 and maybe that is it? Should I go back to .05? I'm very confused.
Thanks for any and all advise!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:14 am      Reply with quote
evansmama wrote:
No. I have never used Tolereen! I have been using Renova for years too! I did step up from .05 to 1.0 and maybe that is it? Should I go back to .05? I'm very confused.
Thanks for any and all advise!

Hi Evansmama,
I think you should look at your skin for the answer. If your skin is improving with Obagi and you are pleased with the results, then you must be doing something right! The Nuderm system is designed for daily usage of retin a mixed with Blender for a full 18 weeks. It is a harsh program but one that can yield great results. I personally stayed with 0.25% retin a and occasionally use 0.50% during maintenance. It's true that retin a will initially thin the top layer of your skin but thickens the deeper levels. Did you see the thread Rileygirl started on retin a? She included a link to a very informational article.

You're still in the beginning stages of Nuderm and if you're pleased with results thus far, I think you'll be very happy in the long term.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
evansmama, you are right, Obagi does not work without the Retin A. I 2nd and 3rd amonavis and kims, Retin A will thin the top layer, but thicken the deeper levels.

What do you mean when you say your skin looks thinner?
evansmama
5% products discount

Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you everyone. I would name individuals but when I press "post a reply", everything goes away(and my memory!)
I went to an open house at a Dermatologist office yesterday and was asking about fillers for the parenthesis around my mouth. An esthetician happened to walk up and look at my skin and said that I should stop the retin-a with Obagi because it is thinning my skin and the fillers wouldn't do that good of a job on my parenthesis. She said when you tug on your face and still see some wrinkles, the skin is too thin (which is what she did to me). I have been wanting fillers for the sides of my mouth for about 6 years now and just never let someone look at them and tell me what I need to do. I am going to continue with Obagi hoping that I will get rid of all my freckles and age spots and then maybe try to get rid of the parenthesis on my face.
It's amazing to go to an open house like that and see so many people without a single line or wrinkle on their face. I can only dream...
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:50 am      Reply with quote
evansmama wrote:
Thank you everyone. I would name individuals but when I press "post a reply", everything goes away(and my memory!)
I went to an open house at a Dermatologist office yesterday and was asking about fillers for the parenthesis around my mouth. An esthetician happened to walk up and look at my skin and said that I should stop the retin-a with Obagi because it is thinning my skin

Well, I can't say I have ever heard that before! Whatever you decide, good luck, and you aren't alone - most of us are trying to diminish wrinkles! Very Happy
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Evansmama,
Can you explain the "tug on your face and still see the wrinkles" approach? Where and how did she tug?? Just curious... Thanks!

5% products discount

Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
kims, she tugged on my cheek to pull the skin taut near the nasal labial fold (I don't really have those deep wrinkles there precisely, just small wrinkles near my mouth that I call parenthesis that make me look old. You can't them them if I smile all the time but who can do that?)and when she tugged, she said the skin is so thin that even with a filler the line(wrinkle) would still show unless my skin were thicker. Sad I really do want to use a filler there but not until I finish Obagi and get my skin thicker!
evansmama
5% products discount

Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
Does what I said make any sense? If you pull your face back a little and the wrinkle goes away, a filler will help nicely but if you pull back your skin where there's a wrinkle and you still see a wrinkle, filler won't work...so she says Think
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
evansmama wrote:
Does what I said make any sense? If you pull your face back a little and the wrinkle goes away, a filler will help nicely but if you pull back your skin where there's a wrinkle and you still see a wrinkle, filler won't work...so she says Think

She seems to be testing static vs dynamic wrinkling and/or deep vs superficial wrinkles. Wrinkles are superficial if when you pull the skin taut, you don't have any visible sign of the wrinkle, and deep if the wrinkle is still visible with the skin pulled taut. She isn't making any sense though to say your skin is thin (at least to me!).

http://byebyewrinkles.com/types.html

http://www.infoplasticsurgery.com/facial/wrinkletreatment/
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:30 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Evansmama and Rileygirl! Now I understand what you're talking about. Actually, I thought filler would work better on deeper wrinkles rather than superficial ones?? But, I'm definitely not sure!

5% products discount

Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:42 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Rileygirl for the info. I guess my wrinkles are static and that's what I hate. Also, I hate that the corners of my mouth turn down Sad Maybe a filler would help that too!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:33 am      Reply with quote
evansmama wrote:
Thanks Rileygirl for the info. I guess my wrinkles are static and that's what I hate. Also, I hate that the corners of my mouth turn down Sad Maybe a filler would help that too!

A filler might help with the turned down corners of your mouth. I have my plastic surgeon inject juvederm along the top of my upper lip -- as an outline only. It really provides structure to the lips. My mouth doesn't turn down any longer and I think it keeps "lines" at bay on the area between your upper lip and nose. It's definitely worth it to me!

5% products discount

Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:44 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Kims, I will definitely check into that..I've never had anything done to my face (only because of lack of money!) but one day I'll be able to get fillers where needed Wink
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:28 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |