Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

can you reverse elastin/collagen damage from over treatment?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sunlit
5% products discount

Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
Im 29 and in the last 2 years have had a fear of aging meltdown!! I've done refirme twice, retin a, green cream and facial exercises overboard. My once perfect skin except for a couple of forehead lines now looks 6 years older. I have lost elasticity next to my nose and skin drapes like a nasolabial fold about a cm long on each side. My cheeks have lost there plumpness and my skin sags under my eye in my cheek area - elephant eyes. only today my husband told me I was destroying my face and looked years older Sad . Do you think my skin could bounce back and heal if I leave it alone and just use retin-a? Being younger do you think it could regain some plumpness and elasticity or have I permanently destroyed my skin? advice?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
Are you making sure to use a good quality sunscreen with all the stuff you are using and have done? This is very important.

My own opinion is your skin will probably be fine once you leave it alone for a while. Sometimes less is more! What were you trying to correct at only 29?
sunlit
5% products discount

Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
I always use invisbile zink - physical sunscreen here in Australia. I had the beginnings of crows feet, wrinkles on my forehead and parenthesis type lines around my mouth were bgining to develop. Trying to fix these with facial exercises caused more problems which i tried to fix with more exercises and now I just want to go back in time. You live and learn!!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
sunlit wrote:
You live and learn!!

That is the truth! Good that you are using a good sunscreen. Have you seen a derm for your skin concerns? Good luck to you!
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:45 pm      Reply with quote
If I was you I would def. stop everything for a little while and see if anything changes! It certainly can't hurt. You are very young and your skin should bounce back. Most of my life I have not done very much to my skin other than clean, moisturize and stay out of the sun. I am glad that I did not use Retin-a or anything harsh on my skin at an earlier age. Being close to 50 I have started using Renova every other night. As said earlier sometimes less is more.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:46 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Starlight. I think the less you do at a younger age, the better off your skin will be in the long run. I also like the advice Starlight and Riley have given you. Back off and I bet your skin will become what it once was.
tikiandbabu
5% products discount

Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:24 am      Reply with quote
I completely agree with all the above posts, adding just one thought...if you are taking weight loss/diet supplements be careful. Some of my friends, myself included, went overboard with Formula 1 about 15 years ago and that really aged my skin. But the good news is, it has reversed and gone back to it's old self (which was really good). It did take proper nutrition and lots of water added to the mix! Good luck. Very Happy
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:23 am      Reply with quote
Perhaps you should opt for a good sunscreen and antioxidant topicals, such as vitamin C and peptides. Both will help with collagen production. Also, hyaluronic acid will help plump up your skin.

My opinion? Stay away from Retin A. You don't need it yet, or shouldn't.

Here is an article from the daily mail:

'...it's when young women use creams that have high concentrations of ingredients such as retinoids (derivatives of retinol, a form of vitamin A) and AHAs (alpha hydoxy acid compounds like glycolic acid and lactic acid) that the problems really start, according to dermatologist, Dr Nick Lowe.

'These compounds are included in anti-ageing products because they basically break down the top layer of your skin, increasing the rate at which skin renews itself,' he explains.

In older skin, the benefits of inflicting deliberate damage to the outer layer of the skin outweigh the negatives, as it helps to speed up cell turnover, a process that slows with age, and evens out uneven skin tone.

But with younger skin, which is less resilient, you're corrupting the skin's natural water-retaining protective function for no good reason. 'Younger skin, especially the skin on the cheeks, can be more sensitive than older skin, so it's more prone to react badly to these active ingredients.

That can result in irritation - redness, itching, flaking and so on.

'If these teenagers are lucky, when they stop using the cream, these symptoms will go away. If they don't, they probably need to spend more money on creams to try and get their skin back to normal.'

However, more worrying than simple irritation is the long-term damage that could result from uninformed use of retinoids and AHAs.

'Because these compounds damage the outer layer of the skin, they increase skin photosensitivity, leaving skin far more susceptible to sun damage,' explains Dr Lowe.

'Anyone who uses a product that contains any significant concentration of these is advised to ensure that they use sun protection every day. If you don't religiously apply an SPF when using products like these, not only are you more susceptible to sunburn, but, ironically, you can actually cause many of the problems that you're trying to avoid - age spots, uneven pigmentation and even wrinkles.'

So, if you're a teen worried about ageing, what do the experts suggest?

'Simple,' says Dr Lowe. 'Don't use sunbeds, don't smoke and do use an SPF15 sunscreen that also contains proven UVA protection every single day.

'That's going to be infinitely more effective than using products meant for women three times your age.'
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:32 am      Reply with quote
I also agree with the other posters- stop everything for a while. slap on a sunscreen with proven UVA protection, and a *simple* moisturizer- thats no AHA, vitamin A's, retinols etc. Also I wouldn't exfoliate.

It will bounce back, you're only 29!
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:38 am      Reply with quote
Whats caused this melt down - do you know/think?

Melt downs don't usually happen at your age, unless there are other factors involved.

First thing that occurs to me is that your doing some quite heavy and aggressive things to your skin that might have overchallenged/overwhelmed it somewhat. Losing elasticity though is something that I’m curious about, as to how you know you have actually lost it. If its exhausted muscles or overworked skin, then that isn’t so much about loss of elasticity, in that it hasn’t been lost, but the skin and muscles are bulked up or sagging so I would imagine with rest and leaving your skin alone you could get it back to its former state and then reintroduce one or two things slowly. Using Retin A depends on your skin type, the strength your using and if your able to use it consistently for long term results. Although I have read that article before in the daily mail it fails to take into account the long term studies done on Retin A for its ability to repair the skin but they are long term studies.

Sean
sunlit wrote:
Im 29 and in the last 2 years have had a fear of aging meltdown!! I've done refirme twice, retin a, green cream and facial exercises overboard. My once perfect skin except for a couple of forehead lines now looks 6 years older. I have lost elasticity next to my nose and skin drapes like a nasolabial fold about a cm long on each side. My cheeks have lost there plumpness and my skin sags under my eye in my cheek area - elephant eyes. only today my husband told me I was destroying my face and looked years older Sad . Do you think my skin could bounce back and heal if I leave it alone and just use retin-a? Being younger do you think it could regain some plumpness and elasticity or have I permanently destroyed my skin? advice?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:03 am      Reply with quote
People saying not to use creams like Retin A at a younger age, I think it all depends on the condition of your skin. If you have sundamage you will need to start these treatments earlier than if you always stayed out of the sun.

I'm 28 and started with antiageing treatments at 18! My skin is suffering the results of premature ageing (mostly caused by sunbeds about 12 years ago) and now stress.

Just because someone is under 30 doesn't mean their skin will automatically bounce back, especially if it is already damaged by tanning, smoking, etc.

Dee
Dee28
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:06 am      Reply with quote
Also I have read that loss of elastin starts after age 25 and it is much more rapid than collagen degradation which is more of a gradual decline.

For those who are genetically blessed and always avoid environmental agressors may not see the effects of elastin depletion for some time, others may see it overnight.....

Dee
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:34 am      Reply with quote
Dee28 wrote:
People saying not to use creams like Retin A at a younger age, I think it all depends on the condition of your skin. If you have sundamage you will need to start these treatments earlier than if you always stayed out of the sun.

Just because someone is under 30 doesn't mean their skin will automatically bounce back, especially if it is already damaged by tanning, smoking, etc.

Dee

I agree, Dee. I think if a younger person has overall good skin and is healthy, then the products shouldn't be used until one is much older. However, if one has the sun damage, and an unhealthy lifestyle, they are going to see premature aging and I think the RA would benefit those types of skin.
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
Well, retin-A is originally an acne treatment though, so there will always be young people using it. I do feel that using it around my eye area when I was a teenager did cause a lot of premature wrinkling.
Dee28
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:

I agree, Dee. I think if a younger person has overall good skin and is healthy, then the products shouldn't be used until one is much older.

Of course, if a 20 year old has typical 20 year old skin they shouldn't be using any aggressive treatments. Sunblock and an antioxidant product is probably all that is needed to keep their skin looking young and healthy.

rileygirl wrote:

However, if one has the sun damage, and an unhealthy lifestyle, they are going to see premature aging and I think the RA would benefit those types of skin.

Exactly. And probably the majority of under 30's using aggressive skin care do so because they already have sun damage or lead an unhealthy lifestyle.

They see changes early and don't want to wait until 40+ to start fixing the damage. I certainly wouldn't have started on a regime like Obagi at 20 otherwise.

Dee
sunlit
5% products discount

Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for all your replys. I believe it was all the pulling and tugging of facial exercise that made my skin get loose. The good news is that only after 3 days of not doing it it's coming back already. I still have a bit of looseness next to my nose though so I have my fingers crossed it will all bounce back. I don't know if it's elasticity breaking down or just stressed skin - let's hope for the latter Smile

I was a beauty Therapist (before my kids) and worked with a plastic surgeon and never forget the surgeon telling me the best thing you can do for your skin is retin a and sunscreen. That's one thing I'll keep up. I am from Ausralia and spent the majority of my childhood at the beach and in the sun and most often with sunburnt cheeks and nose so the benefits are worth it for me. I have no irritation from it at all and followed the surgeons instructions and I'm an avid sunscreen user.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
sunlit wrote:
Thanks for all your replys. I believe it was all the pulling and tugging of facial exercise that made my skin get loose. The good news is that only after 3 days of not doing it it's coming back already. I still have a bit of looseness next to my nose though so I have my fingers crossed it will all bounce back. I don't know if it's elasticity breaking down or just stressed skin - let's hope for the latter Smile

I was a beauty Therapist (before my kids) and worked with a plastic surgeon and never forget the surgeon telling me the best thing you can do for your skin is retin a and sunscreen. That's one thing I'll keep up. I am from Ausralia and spent the majority of my childhood at the beach and in the sun and most often with sunburnt cheeks and nose so the benefits are worth it for me. I have no irritation from it at all and followed the surgeons instructions and I'm an avid sunscreen user.

sunlit, you seem to be on the right track! It probably was just stressed skin and not an actual loss of elasticity. I know there are many who believe in the facial exercises on this board and some have had great results, but not everything works for every body. I don't believe in them myself, but that is just me. Could it be you were seeing the "uglies" as I think the exercisers call it - the bad before it gets good?
sunlit
5% products discount

Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:21 pm      Reply with quote
I think for some people they would work but not for me at this point in time. They seem to be focused on "young features" that make up what a young person looks like (nose webbing was a big one) I started paying attention and saw this nose webbing on 12 year olds but not 25 year old women. Confused

I will say though that when I smiled i had really huge cheeks and looked much younger (even though I never had big cheeks like that when I was younger) but when I wasn't smiling I had folds of skin over my mouth and loose skin. It was after noticing that and going through before and after photos that the most radical changes and the 'guru's' of the facial exercise never had normal front face photos without smiling - mostly side/angled view photos with smiles which is everyones best angle. Those smiles hide the hideous nasolabial folds which the message boards are full of.....

I don't know and that makes me need more evidence and convincing. I may go back to it in 10 years!! Who knows Rolling Eyes In the meantime I will retin-a at night and I think see a derm if things aren't better in a month or so and I WILL NOT be pulling on my skin!!

Thanks for all the advice and listening!! If this is me turning 30 imagine my post when I turn 40??? Stay tuned for that one Laughing
Dee28
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:21 am      Reply with quote
sunlit wrote:
Thanks for all your replys. I believe it was all the pulling and tugging of exercise that made my skin get loose. The good news is that only after 3 days of not doing it it's coming back already. I still have a bit of looseness next to my nose though so I have my fingers crossed it will all bounce back. I don't know if it's elasticity breaking down or just stressed skin - let's hope for the latter Smile

Hey sunlit,

I have used antiageing products and done facial exercise for 10 years and never had any problem with skin elasticity until the last year.

So I don't think the facial exercises or aggressive treatments are to blame, but if your skin has suffered a loss of elasticity due to sun damage, stress, etc it may just be that the exercises could (temporarily) make the skin look worse due to it not being as resilient right now.

So perhaps just be more gentle with the exercises but don't give up altogether. This is what I'm doing until (hopefully) I can get the skin elasticity problems under control.

Dee
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:52 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |