Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Help...needing a good forehead exercise
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
krystiluv
5% products discount

Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:52 am      Reply with quote
I am new to facial exercising. I purchased Ageless since so many rave about it. But I really need to work on my forehead and Lou Lou doesn't seem to really work this area. Is there good forehead exercise out there that someone could recommend to me? Or will Lou Lou's occasional exercise eventually get my forehead in shape?
moonstone
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:38 am      Reply with quote
hi krystiluv , I've been doing Ageless since Jan and really like it. Ageless doesn't really have any exercise for the forehead. And I recently combine another facial exercise program "Faceworks" with Ageless. Faceworks has some great exercises for the forehead (it makes my forehead really smoooooth!!!) as well as the lower face which seem to be a nice compliment to Ageless.

You can also check out the following link for a free forehead exercise.

http://www.shapeyourface.com/exercise_five.htm

Some people find it works well for their foreheads.

Good Luck!
krystiluv
5% products discount

Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:19 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Moonstone. That is a very interesting exercise. I was also considering trying another program to go along with Ageless. You really like Faceworks? I was thinking about getting the new one by Carol Maggio. Anyway, thanks again for your reply.
moonstone
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
You are welcome,krystiluv. I've tried Facercise last years for a few months and didn't really notice much changes from it. For me, both Ageless and Faceworks deliver much better results than Facercise. But as some of the members have nice results with Facercise, perhaps you can try out the new version to see if it works for you! Good luck!

Btw, other popular treatment for forehead lines are applying frownies directly on the forehead. You can check out this link for more info:

http://www.frownies.com/

Some also use surgical tape for home-made version of "frownies". Here is a link with pictures to show you how!

http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/tvb8queenie/article?mid=57290
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
Other than the info Moonstone has given you, I would also suggest that you become aware of your facial expressions. Many times people without realising are constantly raising their brows and this impacts the tissue there as a result.

I work my forehead out daily (but I'm a FlexEffect teacher and always tell people to aim for daily workouts when possible) with a particular exercise called Scalp Flex, which is similar but different to Toms. I do love Tom Haggerty's scalp exercise (the shapeyourface.com link that Moonstone gave you above) and have often suggested that to beginners because it really is a powerful one that works the whole scalp (nor just the forehead) and so will help your hair, scalp and forehead. Its not an easy one, but it can be learned.

Also do mini massages on your forehead also.

Sean
krystiluv wrote:
I am new to facial exercising. I purchased Ageless since so many rave about it. But I really need to work on my forehead and Lou Lou doesn't seem to really work this area. Is there good forehead exercise out there that someone could recommend to me? Or will Lou Lou's occasional exercise eventually get my forehead in shape?

5% products discount

Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:45 pm      Reply with quote
OK I think I'm getting the scalp exercise. So you contract the frontalis and the occipitalis muscle and then release and that's one rep? Do you really have to do it for 5 mins to get results? And does it take 6-8 months to see them?
krystiluv
5% products discount

Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
I wanted to bump this up in hopes that Moon or Seany (or anyone) would reply to my last questions and also add that I believe that one side is stronger then the other and I'm wondering if this would lead it getting lifted higher then the other. Wink
Songbird
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
krystiluv wrote:
I wanted to bump this up in hopes that Moon or Seany (or anyone) would reply to my last questions and also add that I believe that one side is stronger then the other and I'm wondering if this would lead it getting lifted higher then the other. Wink

Hi Krystiluv,

I am interested in this also. I've been attempting the scalp exercise by Tom Haggerty since this was posted. At first I couldn't feel anything, but I think I'm beginning to get the hang of it. It's interesting though what you said about one side being stronger than the other because I too am feeling that my left side is stronger than the right. Perhaps it's just a matter of time & practice to get both sides to work the same. I'm also finding that the back/sides of my neck feel really strained while I'm doing the exercise. Is this normal?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
I wonder if you do scalp flex from FlexEffect for awhile if it would make the tom exercises easier to do?
I really love Scalp Flex. It is not an exercise we talk about much on here but it feels so good to do and I believe it has the effect of a subtle lifting of the entire face structure. That is how it feels to me.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:49 am      Reply with quote
krystiluv wrote:

I remember that LL had answered a similar question. If you have one side stronger than the other, just focus on the weaker side. (i.e. think about that side when you do the exercise. )
And you do not consciously need to work harder or do more reps on the weaker side.

Btw, some members like Sistersweets get nice results from the forehead exercise from Flexeffect, although it doesn't have much effect on me. If you would like to check it out, there is a very similar exercise at the following link:

http://www.indiavisitinformation.com/indian-fashion/face-exercise.shtml
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:15 am      Reply with quote
Hi krystiluv

Sorry only just noticed your post.

You contract the frontlis first by raising your brows, and then you focus on engaging and contracting the occipialis, and you should see a small minute movement. 5-10 minutes is a good time to try to do it, and you can of course do it throughout your day rather than all at once if you prefer.

It depends on the person concerned and their health and state of muscles as to when resuls show up, but you can usually see things in that timeframe, but sometimes it needs a little longer.

Re one side being stronger than the other, its not uncommon at all. We all usually have one side thats stronger, and its very common among sports people too. I'm kind of against and have always been against the old do more reps on the weaker side which used to be advised to people by many experts simply because I think it just exhausts the already weaker muscle. The weaker side isn't so much about physicality but about the mind/muscle connection and so that needs to be built up.

I have often told people to use their imaginations to expand any and all sensation they experience in the weaker side to build up that mind/muscle connection. It might feel fake and silly when you first do it, but over time it builds the connection up and it really does result in a much more harmonious look which evens out.

Songbird, with your neck, it might be your posture when you do the exercises etc. Look to see if your tensing your neck when your doing them.

Sister - ScalpFlex is one of my personal favourites, simply because it works so much on the whole head, occipitalis, scalp and the forehead, and many people alternate between Tom's and Scalp Flex and report that its given them healthier hair. Moon, if it doesn't have much effect on you, then I would guess something isn't quite right as its impact is usually immediately felt, you can really feel the tension draining out of the scalp and it adds colour to the face.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:10 am      Reply with quote
Moonstone, how long does Faceworks take you and how many exercises are there in total? I remember seeing your photos before, and I would have never have thought you had any forehead issues?
moonstone wrote:
hi krystiluv , I've been doing Ageless since Jan and really like it. Ageless doesn't really have any exercise for the forehead. And I recently combine another facial exercise program "Faceworks" with Ageless. Faceworks has some great exercises for the forehead (it makes my forehead really smoooooth!!!) as well as the lower face which seem to be a nice compliment to Ageless.

You can also check out the following link for a free forehead exercise.

http://www.shapeyourface.com/exercise_five.htm

Some people find it works well for their foreheads.

Good Luck!
moonstone
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:39 am      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:

Moon, if it doesn't have much effect on you, then I would guess something isn't quite right as its impact is usually immediately felt, you can really feel the tension draining out of the scalp and it adds colour to the face.

Sean, I've actually found that the lines on my forehead more pronounced after doing the forehead exercises from Flexeffect. So I'm not too sure if that was the right choice for me.

TheresaMary wrote:
Moonstone, how long does Faceworks take you and how many exercises are there in total? I remember seeing your photos before, and I would have never have thought you had any forehead issues?

Theresa, there are 12 exercises in Faceworks which takes approx. 20 mins to finish the whole program. I do them five times per week.

Yes, my fine lines at forehead are barely noticeable in the photo, but I can definitely see them in the mirror. I guess it's easier to get rid of them now than when they become really obvious.
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:55 am      Reply with quote
It might be a variety of factors, but I suspect something was wrong with the technique if the lines were more obvious or pronounced after the exercises, although I have seen that on a couple of people who are very expressionate with their eyebrows and the remedy for this was to do a little short massage straight after. I used to have many lines on my forehead, now I barely have one - which I only get if I’m constantly raising my brows, but its gone within a short time after making it, or if I need to do a photo, I can literally rub it out. I have also seen people who have neglected the frontalis segment after they have engaged occipitalis mastery and many people focus solely on that which is also worth trying and playing with.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:56 am      Reply with quote
Also another point that your on target with scalp flex after a while jumped into my memory - which I'll put here which was words from Deb:

"Before you ever started training, raising your eyebrows would form lines on the brow that were thin and very close together (tight closed fan). Now that you've built the forehead, raising your brows will now show lines that are more like thick rolls (I know this doesn't sound attractive but it will be in the long run) Once the muscle has thickened it will no longer be able to squeeze the skin down to nothing Deb "

This of course doesn't happen overnight, but its one of those encouraging signals that unless mentioned can be very scary!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
On the Shape Your Face website, Tom recommends doing his exercise while laying down. I have found that doing this is easier for me. By resting my head on a pillow I can "feel" the occipitalis muscles more and I don't feel the tension in my neck either. I will still continue trying them without laying down also, but for now the pillow method works best. HTH someone.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
I have been doing that exercise ever since it was posted. Amazing, but I never realized I could work those muscles, and I have felt significant improvement in control in just a week. Whether there will be long-term positive results reflected in my forehead (moderate lines), I don't know, but just getting control over those muscles feels like a victory.
decent
5% products discount

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:00 am      Reply with quote
Hello guys. I would like to ask you if you could explain to me how to exactly perform the scalp exercise by Tom Hagerty. Do you use your hands to pull your ears back? Thanks a lot in advance for any replies, and please do reply.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:59 am      Reply with quote
With Tom’s exercise, you don’t use your hands, but the muscles at the back of the head to pull back the ears. I can’t work that muscle at all no matter how hard I try it just is so stubborn and so I’m thinking of Safetox instead, however I think with the advanced exercise Tom does, he has you grab the hair and make the same movements using the muscle to stimulate the hair. I think he says though that 2/3 of women can’t move them (and I’m one of those lucky ones I’m convinced).
decent wrote:
Hello guys. I would like to ask you if you could explain to me how to exactly perform the scalp exercise by Tom Hagerty. Do you use your hands to pull your ears back? Thanks a lot in advance for any replies, and please do reply.
YB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hi decent,

I am on a mission to make it work since this Christmas Smile)
Many times i think i feel some muscle tension, but so far nothing moves visually.

Right now i am trying to invent a method of stimulating this muscle with micro-current device.

Any other ideas?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
decent wrote:

decent, on Tom's forum (and the archives) many people share tips on mastering the scalp exercises. You should take a look. Perhaps one of the suggestions will make sense to you and help. But for many, they don't realize they are doing it until the muscles get stronger. So try the suggestions and keep working at it. It'll come to you eventually.
decent
5% products discount

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:53 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for all your replies. I did some reading on Tom Hagerty's forums, but I admit it I am having a hard time understanding what the people are saying. It just seems vague maybe because I'm not really fluent in the language. Do they control them using their mind only Question

@Nonie: I would read about you since 2010 here on topic about droopy eyelid/lifting eyebrows. Do you think you can suggest me any tips or exercises to lift my right eyebrow bone? When I touch both of my eyebrow bones, I feel the left is more protruding. Also, the left has the higher eyebrow and the more open eye. I avoid buying videos as I believe it's not illegal to pass on the knowledge for the benefit of other people especially if the intention is to just help, and I badly need your help. I can send you my photo if you think you need to see it.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
decent wrote:
Thanks for all your replies. I did some reading on Tom Hagerty's forums, but I admit it I am having a hard time understanding what the people are saying. It just seems vague maybe because I'm not really fluent in the language. Do they control them using their mind only Question

@Nonie: I would read about you since 2010 here on topic about droopy eyelid/lifting eyebrows. Do you think you can suggest me any tips or exercises to lift my right eyebrow bone? When I touch both of my eyebrow bones, I feel the left is more protruding. Also, the left has the higher eyebrow and the more open eye. I avoid buying videos as I believe it's not illegal to pass on the knowledge for the benefit of other people especially if the intention is to just help, and I badly need your help. I can send you my photo if you think you need to see it.

decent unfortunately, I am not a trainer and have no knowledge on what one would need to fix anything. That's why I fully depend on the author of whatever program I am doing. I don't even bother learning face muscles or figuring out why a certain combo of exercises seems to work and not another. This is why I am not a fan of spot training because even with over 20 years experience in face exercises, I still don't know how to ID what muscles one needs to exercise to fix a problem--because it may not be the muscle directly under the problem that needs work since they are interconnected.

I have shared a few times that when I started doing CFF, I tried to guess that doing the exercises for a certain area would improve that area and tried to double up in the exercises for the areas that bothered me most, but this didn't fix my problem. In fact, Carolyn, the author told me not to do that, because she knew what I needed. Her suggestion was to do her program exactly as she directed it. I was nervous so I took lots of photos over the time I did as she said and sent them to her to make sure things were going as she expected them to go when I did what she said. To my surprise, everything fell into line in due time. I don't know how or why, but clearly Carolyn knew what she was talking about. She doesn't tell everyone to do the program as directed from what I understand. She gives some people bonus exercises depending on their needs. That is something I would not have a clue about but trust an author of a program would know.

And your case seems even more complicated because you are referring to bone protrusion. I think looking at your childhood photos and maybe other family members can give you a realistic idea of what's possible, because not everyone has a symmetrical face and sometimes we can be so hard on ourselves. If you can see yourself at a younger age, then maybe that's about what will be easiest to achieve. Doesn't mean you can't go beyond that, but you'll get better perspective.

Next contact the authors of face exercise programs and ask them questions. Perhaps send photos so they can have a better idea of what you hope to fix. They, IMO, would be the best people to answer your question. The other people who can give you an idea would be people who have had the issues you have who can share their own experiences. You may find such people on a forum like this or maybe an instructor can introduce you to someone who can share her/his experience to give you an idea of what you can expect.

Because I haven't walked in your shoes, I really am clueless on what you can do. But the professionals who understand face anatomy may know what is possible so don't hesitate to contact them. Don't just go to one, research all the programs and ask questions until you find one that speaks to you and gives you hope. Ask for pics too so you can make sure that what you hope for yourself has actually happened to others coz talk is cheap. People are usually OK to email photos even if they won't post them on a forum, so if you find a post where someone shares success, maybe send them a private message to ask. Tom Hagerty is very matter-of-fact and he is a good person to ask. Posting on his forum this question may also get you more responses as he always answers and maybe someone else will see your post and chime in too.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:18 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |