Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Shall we use Obagi with Hydroquinone or without Hydroquinone
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
janegd
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
Shall we use Obagi with Hydroquinone or without Hydroquinone?

I just realized Obagi has two versions, one is with 4%Hydroquinone, which is excatly what I am using now. And the other one is without Hydroquinone . I unserstand Hydroquinone is bleach and I suppose it can not be used for long. but I wonder if the one set without Hydroquinone can achieve the same results. Has anyone used the one without Hydroquinone? And how do you like it? Is it as effective? thanks a lot!!!
Dee28
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Janegd,

I've used both versions. The Non-HQ version works just fine for me and personally can't tell the difference....both creams look, smell and work the same way.

At the moment I continue to use the Non-HQ Blend-Fx Cream with Arbutin and do not plan to go back to the HQ Blender any time soon.

If you can avoid HQ (especially for the long term) then it's less risk of complications.

Of course there are not as many studies on the (possible adverse) effects of arbutin, but it is a natural bleaching agent that comes from the bearberry plant. So far it appears to be effective and safe.

Hope this helps,

Dee
janegd
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Dee, thank you very much indeed. I guess I should explore more on the non-HQ ones since it seems that it is a indeed long run battle for the skin...so, i hope can get something safer for long term use.
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
I would avoid hydroquinone if you can, it destroyed my skin. I just feel there are safer alternatives to hydroquinone out there.
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
Copied from Paula's Choice article on Skin Lightening, which can be seen here:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/skin-care-facts-skin-lightening-brown-ashen-pigmentation-freckling-discoloration.aspx

Hydroquinone is a strong inhibitor of melanin production (Source: Journal of Dermatological Science, August, 2001, supplemental, pages 68-75), meaning that it prevents skin from making the substance responsible for skin color. Hydroquinone does not bleach the skin, which is why calling it a bleaching agent is a misnomer as it can't remove pigment from the skin cell. Hydroquinone can only disrupt the synthesis and production of melanin hyperpigmentation, which is actually true of any skin-lightening ingredient. When you prevent melanin from being generated, as new skin cells are formed and move to the skin's surface, they do not contain the excess pigment (melanin), therefore reducing or eliminating these darkened areas.

Hydroquinone can be an unstable ingredient in cosmetic formulations. When exposed to air or sunlight it can turn a strange shade of brown. Therefore, when you are considering a hydroquinone product, it is essential to make sure it is packaged in a non-transparent container that doesn't let light in and minimizes air exposure. Hydroquinone products packaged in jars are not recommended because they become ineffective shortly after opening.

Alternatives to Hydroquinone:

It is interesting to point out that some of these alternative ingredients are, ironically, derivatives of hydroquinone. They include Mitracarpus scaber extract, Uva ursi (bearberry) extract, Morus bombycis (mulberry), Morus alba (white mulberry), and Broussonetia papyrifera (paper mulberry)—all of which contain arbutin (more technically known as hydroquinone-beta-D-glucoside)—which can inhibit melanin production. Pure forms of arbutin are considered more potent for affecting skin lightening (alpha-arbutin, beta-arbutin, and deoxy-arbutin).

A bit more information on arbutin is warranted. As mentioned above, arbutin contains a form of hydroquinone derived from the leaves of bearberry, cranberry, mulberry or blueberry shrubs, and also is present in most types of pears. Because of arbutin's hydroquinone content it can have melanin-inhibiting properties (Source: The Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, February 1996, pages 765-769). Although the research describing arbutin's effectiveness is persuasive (even if most of the research has been done in vitro), concentration protocols have not been established. That means we don't know how much arbutin it takes to lighten skin when it is added to a cosmetic formulation. Moreover, most cosmetics companies don't use "arbutin" in their products because there are patents controlling its use for skin lightening. To get around this problem many cosmetics companies use plant extracts that contain arbutin. Unfortunately, there is little to no research showing the plant extract source of arbutin as having any impact on skin, especially not in the tiny amounts used in cosmetics.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
thanks, Cconut and Lacy53, I understand everything may have double sides but more research is definitely important.I guess I should search more information before the next order.
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
Im sure I have heard this is now banned in Australia, please correct me if I wrong. If correct thats saying something because things are pretty pathetic here.
Dee28
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
janegd wrote:
Hi, Dee, thank you very much indeed. I guess I should explore more on the non-HQ ones since it seems that it is a indeed long run battle for the skin...so, i hope can get something safer for long term use.

Well you could always use the HQ Blender for the initial 6-24 weeks (correction phase) and then switch to Blend-Fx with Arbutin for maintenance?

Both products have exactly the same composition of ingredients, except they switched hydroquinone for arbutin.

Dee
janegd
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
i will see and consult with my dermologist, but i doubt if she indeed knows that since according to some further search, it seems to be debating among researchers themslves Sad it is always not easy
Hasnaa
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:44 am      Reply with quote
I had nice skin. I used obagi 2 years ago and it made my skin flawless. but it took that nice natural tan away. 6 months after I stopped it I started having acne, skin color in my face is darker than my body and my neck is a lot darker than body and face. I'm spending money on peels and dermabrasions but nothing. I think I'm going back to obagi but could it be the hydroquinon that gave me the discoloration?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
has wrote:
I had nice skin. I used obagi 2 years ago and it made my skin flawless. but it took that nice natural tan away. 6 months after I stopped it I started having acne, skin color in my face is darker than my body and my neck is a lot darker than body and face. I'm spending money on peels and dermabrasions but nothing. I think I'm going back to obagi but could it be the hydroquinon that gave me the discoloration?

Did you use a sunscreen after you stopped Obagi? Your face may be darker just because you stopped the products.
Hasnaa
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:54 am      Reply with quote
Yes I never go out without sunscreen even before using obagi.
Hasnaa
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:57 am      Reply with quote
one more question did anyone use the fx blender and clear? how were the results??
and does the obagi tretinoin antiaging work for acne as well or should I get the acne one? I have adult acne.(also reverse the question will the tretinoin for acne take care of some lines around my eyes?)
thank you for your help
MamaBurr

Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:27 am      Reply with quote
Hasnaa wrote:
one more question did anyone use the fx blender and clear? how were the results??
and does the obagi tretinoin antiaging work for acne as well or should I get the acne one? I have adult acne.(also reverse the question will the tretinoin for acne take care of some lines around my eyes?)
thank you for your help

Hasnaa

I just started on the Obagi Nu Derm mainly for acne and acne marks. This is what the plastic surgeon recommended due to to the fact that the tretinoin helps both acne and wrinkles. I am 45 and wrinkling is not my main concern ( thanks to good genes) but adult acne is what I'm battling with. A little history about my skin I just had laser resurfacing (CO2) a week and a half prior to starting Obagi and I'm not peeling like everyone else is since I already have fresh skin. Hope this helps.
Angelcat47
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hasnaa,If you want to continue your conversation on this subject,you might want to find a more current thread(see date of last post prior to yours).HTH
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:56 pm      Reply with quote
I was looking for this answer. Thanks .
I will order fx nuderm.
Also it is really hard to find online website selling HQ products. Even EDS dosent carry HQ nuderm anymore

quote="Dee28"]Hi Janegd,

I've used both versions. The Non-HQ version works just fine for me and personally can't tell the difference....both creams look, smell and work the same way.

At the moment I continue to use the Non-HQ Blend-Fx Cream with Arbutin and do not plan to go back to the HQ Blender any time soon.

If you can avoid HQ (especially for the long term) then it's less risk of complications.

Of course there are not as many studies on the (possible adverse) effects of arbutin, but it is a natural bleaching agent that comes from the bearberry plant. So far it appears to be effective and safe.

Hope this helps,

Dee[/quote]
Eserison

Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:23 am      Reply with quote
If you don't want to lighten your skin or if you don't have hyperpigmentation
don't use HQ

these are safe whitening ingredients
Arbutin
Alpha-Arbutin
Magnesium ascorbyl phosphate
Kojic acid
Retin A/Tretinoin
Liquorice extract/Licorice extract
Mulberry extract
Azelaic acid
Niacinamide
Salicylic acid
Undecylenoyl phenylalanine

I found the list in a website

I cant post the link

well I recommend Niacinamide, Arbutin, Alpha-Arbutin
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
I use both Obagi with HQ and the FX version because you can't use HQ for more than six months at a time. The HQ version is much more effective for hyperpigmentation so I use it in the Fall-Spring time to reduce the pigmentation from the summer.

Dry skin but not many wrinkles; 50s and Asian; Topicals: Vit C, tretinoin, hydroquinone & azaleic acid for melasma; Likes: SK-II, Shiseido, Shu Uemura, Skinceuticals, Obagi, P50, Sunday Riley, Hada Labo, facial oils
jeanengs

Sat May 20, 2017 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
Is there a difference between the Obagi NuDerm sold in the clinics vs Obagi NuDerm sold on Ebay? I was told $475 at the clinic and I see what looks like the same sets (minus the retin a) on Ebay for around $200. Thank you.
bigsmilebigdreams
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2017 6:10 am      Reply with quote
Hydroquinone is bad for you and banned in many countries.
GraceGreen

Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
I Googled for Obagi Nu-Derm Clear 4% Hydroquinone but most of them carry the one without the Hydroquinone or the FX kind. I am interested in the one with Hydroquinone.

Thanks for your help.

Grace
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
bigsmilebigdreams wrote:

Yes, these days I can find OBAGI Nuderm FX from Walmart, amazon, ebay and everywhere as well. Are these authentic? How do I tell? But I hardly can find seller of HQ Nuderm?

I am still hesitating whether buying HQ or Non HQ. I can't decide...

I have freckles. I used HQ Nu derm three times before and I stopped using Nu derm for a while (it has been couple of years). But my freckles came back. I want to use Nu derm again but I don't know Non HQ works or not . PLease share your experience with Nuderm FX products.
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
I can't find either. All of them are Non HQ Even EDS site here.
azumma wrote:
bigsmilebigdreams wrote:

Yes, these days I can find OBAGI Nuderm FX from Walmart, amazon, ebay and everywhere as well. Are these authentic? How do I tell? But I hardly can find seller of HQ Nuderm?

I am still hesitating whether buying HQ or Non HQ. I can't decide...

I have freckles. I used HQ Nu derm three times before and I stopped using Nu derm for a while (it has been couple of years). But my freckles came back. I want to use Nu derm again but I don't know Non HQ works or not . PLease share your experience with Nuderm FX products.
missbabypaw
5% products discount

Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
It is true that HQ is banned in many countries. As a result, research shifted to alternative ingredients that are similarly effective as well as safer. Alpha-Arbutin is currently leading the pack, as it were, when it comes to alternatives as it shows promise for being as effective as HQ without the safety concerns.

So we're beginning to see more and more products containing Alpha-Arbutin as a result of that research and because consumers have become more wary about using HQ. I would not be surprised if HQ at some point gets mostly if not completely phased out, even if it is not ever directly banned for use here in the States.

I would try the non-HQ version and see how it works for you. Especially as I believe we may see a general movement away from HQ in the coming years.
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much missbabypaw. Do you think I can buy Non HQ from Amazon or Walmart? it is cheaper there.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:19 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |