Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
thick coarse hair like straw
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
oranges
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
I have thick course hair that is almost straw like. I read somewhere that moisturizing shampoos and conditioners are the best for this hair type although I have yet to find one that makes my hair soft and bouncy. It always feels a little dry too. Is there a S&C that will help or with my hair type am I just destined for straw?
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
oranges have you tried a DIY home treatment? Argan oil is supposed to be great for dry hair.

I have a similar problem and the S&C I have the best luck with is Redken Extreme in the dark blue bottles.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
My sister has really thick hair and uses Redkin I think the all soft or all smooth the heavier one anyway. Also ojon restorative hair treatment and has noticed a huge improvement.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
Oranges,

I am agreeing with Alley a good oil like Argan has been raved about here! Also hot oil at home treatments are great, olive oil coconut avocado ect. Really any good fruit or nut oil with very moisturizing properties left on for 1 hour once or twice a week really helps dry hair! One other suggestion is frequent trimming, not cutting inches off but frequent trimming keeps the split ends away! This prevents hair from splitting further and further up the hair shaft.
If you can add heat as you deep condition all the better!
I also use straight Shea butter, just a tiny amount rubbed between the palms and use it especially on the ends before styling. My hair isn't overly dry but where I live frizzies are a year round issue, and mine is color treated regularly!
HTH
DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies. I thought I found my HG with Giovanni Smooth as Silk but after using it everyday for about a week it made it worse. The first time my hair was so light and bouncy even my mom commented on it but then it quit working.
oranges
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
Forgot-do you use morraccan oil with argan? or where do you purchase straight argan oil? Do you put it on like morracan oil?
Blaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
I also have thick, coarse hair and the Moroccan Oil was just okay. I suggest Redken's Smooth Down shampoo and conditioner. Then use Redken's Butter Treat once a week. It has done wonders for my very dry hair. Good luck.
kareni
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:51 am      Reply with quote
I am with Pal on both. Redken's all soft (with avacado oil) is really nice and I am also a big fan of Ojon products.
Determined
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:22 am      Reply with quote
May I suggest that whatever oil you choose rub it into the scalp to treat & moisturize the root of the problem (pun intended) An intense overnight treatment like this has helped my hair a lot. It has more shine and is less wirey. HTH
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:20 am      Reply with quote
Have you tried Kassy's Hair Gloss/ Conditioner? I've gone through 3 batches of it and it's great! Sometimes I leave it in for hours if I'm staying home all day and it makes my hair all smooth and shiny. You can find the recipe for it in the Home Spa thread over in the DIY forum. Good luck!

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
Since you already use Giovanni, try the Magnetic Power Treatment on wet or very damp hair but ignore the directions and DON'T RINSE IT OUT! I can't get over how much healthier and softer my hair is when I use it. Of course, if you use it like that day after day, it builds up and weights the hair down..Just try it once and let me know!

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
I have the driest, straw like hair on earth and the only stuff that helped was qhemet biologics hair care products.
Songbird
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
Since you already use Giovanni, try the Magnetic Power Treatment on wet or very damp hair but ignore the directions and DON'T RINSE IT OUT! I can't get over how much healthier and softer my hair is when I use it. Of course, if you use it like that day after day, it builds up and weights the hair down..Just try it once and let me know!

Hi Mountaingirl,

This sounds great, I'm gonna try. I was wondering though if you've tried the Magnetic Styling Gel or any of the other Magnetic products. Thanks.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
uh oh...CORRECTION! The product I leave in my hair is the Magnetic Restructuring Conditioner. Sorry about that! I was at work when I wrote that last post and thought that was the name of it. Its the only "magnetic" Giovanni products I've used, however I've loved every Giovanni hair product I've tried. (50/50 shampoo, Smooth as Silk Shampoo and Leave-In Conditioner) Here's a tip, I've been finding Giovanni hair products at least half off retail price, at TJ Maxx and Marshall's!

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
oranges
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:32 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the tips. Maybe I should dig the Giovanni out and try again. I loved it at first, I mean LOVED it, and then about after 7 days of use in a row my hair felt gunky and iky like it wasn't all washing out. I was on vacation too so maybe it was the water or shower. Maybe I shall try again.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |