Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Aldara? (Basal Cell Carcinoma)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I got my first BCC diagnosis today and fortuantely it was superficial. I've long expected this after all of my years tanning when I was younger. Thankfully I've learned my lesson but unfortunately that damage can't be reversed. Anyways, the derm is treating me with Aldara and I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this treatment. To be honest, I'm more scared of the treatment than of the actual BCC after looking at some treatment pics on the Aldara site. The doc's office said it shouldn't be painful but I don't see how it wouldn't!

Thanks in advance and please let this be a reminder to everyone to wear your sunscreen!
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl,

I had my first (and hopefully last) BCC removed this summer. It was on my arm. My derm treated it with Aldara, too. It did get red and kind of crusty on one side which is where the derm said there must have been something left, but it wasn't bad at all. The most unpleasant part of it in the end was the cost.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
TAMgirl,

I had my first (and hopefully last) BCC removed this summer. It was on my arm. My derm treated it with Aldara, too. It did get red and kind of crusty on one side which is where the derm said there must have been something left, but it wasn't bad at all. The most unpleasant part of it in the end was the cost.

Thanks for the comforting words Skippie! It's funny because I keep reading a lot of complaints about cost, but my copay was $35 which I thought was very reasonable. Guess it depends on your insurance and where people live. Did you use it for the full 6 weeks? And do you recall any side effects at all? I'm terrified after reading some of the reviews and warnings out there. I just hope I'm not one of the rare patients that have these terrible effects.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
I did use it for the full 6 weeks. I had a headache for a couple of days which is very unusual for me. I'm not prone to headaches so I figured it must be the Aldara. I hope you'll be ok, but you will probably know pretty quickly if you're going to have problems. My derm wanted to treat my chest area with Aldara but I balked because of the cost. So, she gave me a prescription to Renova instead.
Charmed1
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:48 am      Reply with quote
I used Aldara on a superficial basal cell carcinoma ~ I think it is great. Yes, my nose was a sad sight during treatment, turned very red and crusty. BUT, it has been about 5 years since treatment and you cannot even find the spot on my nose and the best part is that the skin cancer did not return in that spot!!!

I am very happy with the results.

P.S. I had no short - term or long - term reactions to treatment except the redness and itching during treatment, all confined to the site of treatment. As a matter of fact every year - I treat my nose or other areas designated by my dermatologist for 12 weeks three times a week. I used it during initial treatment for six weeks every day with no days off.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:00 am      Reply with quote
Today I've had an awful headache, but headaches in general are very common for me. I have terrible sinuses and TMJ so essentially I'm doomed when it comes to that. Laughing However, I don't usually have to take anything for my headaches other than my daily claritin-d, but today was an exception due to the level of pain. Hopefully it was just a coincidence and not something I'll have to deal with over the next 6 weeks!

Charmed1 - Was there anything you could do for the itching? I ask because I didn't notice a bit of that last night and am afraid of what's to come. I don't deal well with itchiness!

My derm also mentioned a cream I could use to help bring these spots out so I'm going to do that all over after my treatment. It wasn't Aldara though but something else that I think started with a "C".

Anyways, thanks to you both for your input. It always helps to know others who have been there before you. Very Happy
Charmed1
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
For the itching ~ it was just a little spot on my nose so I tolerated it PLUS the pictures of people who had MOHS surgery kept me on track. I personally thought anything was better than surgery. That was just my opinion.
I am not aware of anything that would stop the itching.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:58 am      Reply with quote
I just wanted to update everyone on my experience with this, heaven forbid any of you ever have to deal with skin cancer yourselves. I used Aldara on my biopsied BCC area for 6 weeks (5 days on, 2 days off) and nothing happened. My derm told me that since it was superficial BCC, they could have gotten all of it with the first biopsy but to be sure, she wanted to freeze the area and try the Aldara for another two weeks. Freezing the area allows it to open up and let the Aldara penetrate deeper.

So, I started round 2. Within a week, I had a very strong reaction. I decided to continue for the full 6 weeks since the first round obviously did nothing. At 5 weeks I had to stop treatment because the area became so open and painful I couldn't handle putting Aldara on it anymore. At the 6 week mark I went back and she said I was done with the treatment and gave me a topical steroid to use for 2 weeks to help it heal. At the next appointment, things were almost completely healed and she said the scarring would go away in time.

Now, I'm probably an overly paranoid person when it comes to skin cancer since I'm extremely high risk and have numerous dysplastic nevi (abnormal moles). So I began doing some further research and came across a product called Black Salve which contains a plant-based ingredient called bloodroot. I read and read and read on this stuff and when I found that it had also been discussed on EDS before by some members I have a lot of respect for, I decided to give it a go. I bought some not only to double check my BCC spot, but to start checking all of my atypical moles as well. I'm not a fan of the practice of "watch and wait for them to change" hence turning into a larger cancer.

When I got the black salve, I applied it the first night to my BCC area. Sure enough, SEVERAL tiny spots reacted and after a few days are now coming off. I've also tested three dark pigmented moles and finally had a small 1mm spot above my lip react this morning. That is one I probably never would have suspected and obviously neither did my derm. Needless to say, I will continue with the BS treatment for that. I'm sure given the coloring of it that it's a small melanoma. BS doesn't react to normal skin, only cancerous cells.

I definitely prefer going the natural route when possible, and it seems like I may have found my own little miracle in this product. At least it will now give me peace of mind when I have a spot that looks suspicious and the derm prefers to wait and see if it changes. I like having a way to test these on my own and eliminate them in the early stages, instead of waiting until it spreads. I know not everyone agrees with these types of alternative treatments, but I wanted to share my experience for anyone else that may have to deal with this in the future, particularly since Aldara did NOT work for my BCC.

Please, please, please let my story be a warning to everyone to wear your sunscreen! I haven't been in the sun in over 5 years now but I'm paying for it from all of my teenage years of tanning.
Songbird
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl, thank you so much for sharing your story. I too spent way too much time in the sun and in tanning beds and am now "watching" to see if anything changes over the next 6 mos. I've heard just a little about the Black Salve and it peaked my interest. Perhaps I need to do some more research on this. I truly hope things go well for you.

BTW: where did you purchase your BS? Thanks Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
Songbird wrote:
TAMgirl, thank you so much for sharing your story. I too spent way too much time in the sun and in tanning beds and am now "watching" to see if anything changes over the next 6 mos. I've heard just a little about the Black Salve and it peaked my interest. Perhaps I need to do some more research on this. I truly hope things go well for you.

BTW: where did you purchase your BS? Thanks Smile

Bumping that Songbird,
I have never had any diagnosed, but also baked in the sun when younger. I would like to know where to buy the BS too? Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/eschar.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
Lacy53 wrote:
http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/eschar.html

It never fails that this site always comes up when discussing BS. I too read this and until I understood more about who runs this website I was also hesitant. However, there are many MORE sites, studies, testimonials, etc. that disprove this so-called article whose only purpose that I can see is to scare anyone from investigating it further, thus protecting the pharmaceutical companies. Here is one such example. Unfortunately, the one I wanted to reference seems to be down at the moment:

http://www.cleansingtimepro.com/blank?pageid=7&catstart=0&prodstart=0

And this site lists several peer reviewed articles on it:

http://www.cancerx.org/Peer-Reviewed-Apoptosis.html

What's really scary is what the FDA does approve for use of skin cancer, or really any kind of cancer for that matter. If you want to read some scary stories, check out these sites on Aldara:

http://www.doctorsaredangerous.com/aldara.htm

and

http://www.naturalnews.com/019906.html

DarkMoon/Songbird - I purchased mine from a company called Alpha Omega Labs and I also purchased the body wash through Best On Earth. I actually read about that one here on EDS which is what lead me to investigate Black Salve even further. Just make sure you do a lot of research first before you decide to try it. There is also a lot of talk about it on curezone.com as well. HTH!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99,

Thank you for the information, much appreciated. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Tamgirl, glad you caught this and were treated for it. I was diagnosed with BCC a few years ago... a tiny growth on my eyelid was BCC... Had to get that one whacked off with a laser. Scary stuff, hearing the Big C word but once I settled down and realized that BCC won't spread as melanoma does, I was eventually able to lightly tell people that if you DO get cancer, basal cell carcinoma is the way to go.

I haven't laid out in the sun to tan for years, but I did in my youth and it finally caught up with me. I'm a freak about sunscreen too.

Interested in hearing about this treatment, I suppose that wasn't an option given the location of my growth. Didn't realize Renova has a role in this, how does it treat this?

Thanks again for posting!

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
Interested in hearing about this treatment, I suppose that wasn't an option given the location of my growth. Didn't realize Renova has a role in this, how does it treat this?

Skippie is the one that mentioned Renova so hopefully she'll chime in. I'm interested to know more about that myself!
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:14 am      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
athena123 wrote:

Skippie is the one that mentioned Renova so hopefully she'll chime in. I'm interested to know more about that myself!

I don't actually have any BCC's on my chest - just sun damage. My derm wanted to get rid of it with Aldara but gave me a prescription to Renova instead which she said would help. I was more concerned about the sun damage on the back of my neck which is always exposed because I have short hair, but she didn't even say anything about it.

As far as retinoids are concerned, I did find this:

Quote:
Two types of skin cancer, squamous cell cancer and basal cell cancer, are major sequelae of sun exposure combined with host factors. The development of cancer in the skin, as elsewhere, involves a loss of normal cellular differentiation, which translates into orderly cell growth and death, so-called apoptosis. Retinoids improve cytodifferentiation; so it is thought they may have a role in cancer prevention. Indeed, continual tretinoin use inhibits the development of precancerous skin lesions such as actinic keratoses. In this arena the best use of tretinoin targets individuals at high risk: those who have a history heavy solar exposure and previous sun-related lesions removed from their skin.

http://www.sfsu.edu/~shs/PDF_Files/SHS_Handouts/retin_A.pdf
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:16 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the info Skippie! I think I will start using my retin-a on my chest area as well. Now that I think about it, it has done wonders for keeping actinic keratosis away on my face so I don't know why I didn't think of trying it on my chest as well. DUH! Laughing
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:23 am      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
Thanks for the info Skippie! I think I will start using my retin-a on my chest area as well. Now that I think about it, it has done wonders for keeping actinic keratosis away on my face so I don't know why I didn't think of trying it on my chest as well. DUH! Laughing

I guess I need to start using it on my chest, too, TAMgirl, since that's why my derm prescribed it. I got so excited about using it for wrinkles on my face, I never did get around to putting it on my chest. I'm no longer using it on my face, though.
Charmed1
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:50 am      Reply with quote
Just wanted to add ~ still good results from my Aldara use on the basal cell carcinoma on my nose.

I use Aldara about every two years on my nose and cheeks as a preventative measure. My dermatologist recommends this 3 times a week for twelve weeks.

So far, no recurrence of the one "Aldara - treated" skin cancer and only one very small new skin cancer which was also treated with Aldara.

I also use Avage (tazarotene) as a preventative just on my nose 5 days a week. It has the same reviews as the tretinoin above in its ability to prevent skin cancers,etc.

My skin is super sensitive, but, I can use these two in the intervals suggested.

Of course, I don't use Avage and Aldara together.

Everyone has their own sensitivities and reactions, but, I had no trouble with Aldara and was very appreciative of its effectiveness as I really did not want surgery on my nose.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:46 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing your experience Charmed1. I didn't post those sites or even my experience to say anything negative against Aldara, just to show that even approved pharmaceuticals have their naysayers as well.

To be honest, I'm not sure at this point how I feel about it. I think in my case perhaps surgery (MOHS) would have been a better option for me, only because the underlying cancer was a LOT bigger than we thought. I also wanted to try the BS as sort of a second confirmation that the Aldara had completed it's job, since I had to stop it a week short. Even with the BS reaction I still worry a bit about whether or not it's all gone. But right now BCC is the least of my worries, particularly when I've had two other spots come back as pre-melanoma and just found another suspicious spot that seems to have popped up overnight. UGH!
Charmed1
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:13 am      Reply with quote
I am so sorry to hear about your pre - melanoma! I will be thinking about you!

I did not take your views about Aldara as negative ~ many people have serious side effects with Aldara, particularly the triggering of immune system disorders. I was just lucky as Aldara did appear to work for me without any side effects.

I think that many drugs are approved and prescribed with the negative side effects seriously suppressed or maybe the research was not adequate or long enough in duration. We have all seen drugs recalled due to the prevalence of serious side effects after they have been prescribed to hundreds of thousands of people.

I wish the best to you! Smile
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:13 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Charmed1! Unfortunately, I found yet another very suspicious spot on the back of my calf just below my knee this weekend. It seems to have popped up out of nowhere and I actually thought I had something on my skin so I scratched at it to try and get it off. Confused Fortunately, it's small, around 1mm, but black as can be. Needless to say I will be calling first thing tomorrow to get this one biopsied. It never seems to end! Fingers crossed for this one. I swear over the last year it's like I've just been waiting to hear them say "it's melanoma" as I've had SO many tested. Fortunately, most have only been in the "pre" phase so far. BCC is really the least of my worries!

By the way, the two pre-melanoma spots were successfully excised with clear margins, so hopefully no need to worry about those again. Very Happy
gator-dan

Wed May 16, 2018 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
TAMgirl99,

Thank you for the information, much appreciated. Smile

Your post is dangerous. Ignoring science and fact and suggesting people use dangerous products without science based support like "Black Salve" can result in serious bodily harm to unsuspecting users. Your link to Cleansing Time Pro products, for example, is a site that has been shut down for selling dangerous products and making unsubstantiated claims. There is a Federal order against its owner. As a new user, I cannot post the web address, so please copy and search for this:

In the Matter of
HOLLY A. BACON,
doing business as Cleansing Time Pro.
DOCKET NO. C-4238
DECISION AND
ORDER

Please read carefully before promoting products. Just because something says it is a scientific study, does not prove that it is. Black Salve is not a cancer fighter, it burns your skin. Please, Please, Please do not use this substance.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:17 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |