Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Calling SisterSweets - Waterpik
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
Would love your expert opinion on the water pik for dental care.

My dentist recommended one... and I've been using it for about 3 weeks. (It's actually a Hydrofloss unit) Anyhow... I was blown away at what a wimp I was at first. I could NOT use the highest pressure,(it actually hurt in a few areas, AND caused some bleeding just like floss) But now, 3 weeks later I'm almost up to the highest level of pressure.

Can this actually replace flossing (cause it's sooooo much easier?) And I've actually been adding my mouth rinse to the water...

Anyone else use one of these? Thoughts????

Yes, the counter is full of gadgets...

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE,

Wow is this ever taking me back, as a teenager I had the full metal mouth braces, which made flossing impossible! The orthodontist recommended the water pik and I have used it (well not the same unit) ever since! 3 & 1/2 years with braces and I don't want to think what would have happened to my gums in that time without it. The only thing I use besides that is a good electric tooth brush. All four kids grew up using it and my only dental bill was for impacted wisdom teeth, and regular wisdom teeth extractions. (regular dental check ups of course) I also like adding a bit of mouthwash in the water!
Sis may have more than I to say on the subject, I can only tell you it did wonders for me and my family! I never got back in the habit of flossing, it seemed redundant!

HTH
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:26 am      Reply with quote
Oh. A topic dear to my heart Very Happy

Waterpik was popular decades ago and fell out of favor for a long time. In dental circles it is definitely BACK and has many fans and for good reason.

Oral irrigation (the hydrofloss Claudia uses for example) is a great adjunct to brushing (and flossing). My boyfriend has one also.

It is very helpful to decrease gingivitis (the infection of the gingiva) and also reduce bleeding of gums. Studies have found that using water or listerine (type products) are similar in results over time, but I do advise using a full strength antimicrobial in the unit once in a while for the bacteriacidal properties.

Oral irrigation is great for flushing out around crowns, dental implants and along the gingival margin. It will not cure or decrease pocket depths but can reduce your risk for getting them.
You should take care when using an irrigator full blast. Many units are too powerful at the highest setting to be used directly at the gumline and could cause damage. Most studies tell us that around implants for example - a low setting should be used. Also the variable pulse is a possible benefit in general.

Flossing is still needed to get the bacteria that sits directly on the tooth surface (for anti-decay as well as periodontal benefits). The action of a waterpik is not going to have that same mechanical effect as flossing.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that you can probably floss less (I would never tell my dental or dental hygiene students this!) by using the oral irrigator daily. It is certainly better than not flossing and not irrigating.

A toothbrush only reaches at most 2/3's of your teeth and the mechanical action (of floss) is very important ....plaque biofilm is so tenacious - just like the slippery scum that sits on rocks in a creek (if you've ever seen such things or tried to walk on them in the water you'll know what I'm talking about). Think about trying to scrub the film off the rock and and you can see how important mechanical action would be.

DM- the waterpik is a great tool for flushing around orthodontic bands. Also used in the proximal (in between) surfaces of the teeth the oral irrigator would be helpful or okay at highest setting - just be careful of aiming at the gums or into the gums as the highest setting. Some of the units are like mini power-washers.

I think Claudia mentioned that she uses one of these also: I highly recommend power toothbrushes above all other mouth gadgets!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:42 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Sis,

I knew I would learn when you chimed in! Guess it is time to get back to flossing, have to let the adult kids know as well hmm OH BOY!
I have always been careful about the setting and gum line as it seems it could be harmful if one isn't careful. I suppose we have been lucky genetically as far as decay goes, plus all the apples and hard fruits and vegetables we all munched away at didn't hurt either. Very Happy

Tanks again,
DM

PS Love the power washer analogy!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks! I'm really liking it...

AND, I'll mention as a total side note... that If you use this thing after meals with the mouthwash... one is less inclined to go eat more! LOL! with that minty mouth! It's like a diet tool...Ok... brushing your teeth would do the same thing... but this is more fun (for now).

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE,
I couldn't agree more on both counts! It isn't often we find a multitasking gadget that is good for us and fun to use as well!

Very Happy
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
If it's getting you into a state of optimal dental health then I'm all for it. Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:48 am      Reply with quote
Sonicare toothbrush and waterpik have really brought my dental hygiene up a notch. Often I'll either floss or waterpik on alternate nights, and sometimes if I'm feeling particularly motivated, both. It's amazing what the waterpik will blast out, even after brushing and flossing.

BTW, my husband just recently had a sinus infection that the netipot just wasn't helping. I'd read about people using a salt solution in the waterpik on a low setting, as the pulsing motion can really cleanse the sinuses effectively. Within days he was rid of it! Of course I ran vinegar through the unit each time to keep it free of microbes.

Next I felt a cold coming on and woke up one morning with some congestion and used it a number of times a day for a couple of days. Well, the cold never held. I think it's possible to shorten the duration or lessen the intensity of a cold if you rinse those little microbes out as they're trying to set up shop in your sinuses (and gargle for the throat).

I'll definitely do it again if I feel something coming on. Also, it was far less like being drowned than using a netipot. much more controllable.
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
I was actually looking to buy a Waterpik. I recently got a dental crown in my mouth, and don't want debris building up by the crown margin, which can eventally lead to decay. BUT, upon reading several reviews on Amazon about Waterpik's oral irrigators, I've heard A LOT of bad stuff. Such as: the hoses leaking, reservoir leaking, messy use, and just simply that it wasn't worth the price (cheap, poor design).

Today I stumbled upon another sort of oral irrigator that you simply connect to your bathroom faucet. No plug in, no batteries. It uses the pressure from your sink, along with 4 different levels of pressure on the unit. I ordered it. Under $20 (including shipping). It's called the "ProFloss Dental Water Jet"... LINK -- http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/176-9637098-9279712?ASIN=B001MUBL50&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B001MUBL50|ProFloss_Dental_Waterjet&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B001MUBL50&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

That particular link is if you wan't to buy it from Target. They are actually out of stock, but the place that I purchased from, FeelGoodStore.com ... sells it for under $20 including shipping, AND it's in stock. These units are NOT in stock on Amazon either.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to inform you guys that the Waterpik brands aren't necessarily the best oral irrigator to buy.

I cannot wait to get it and start using it... I'll let you guys know how it goes, and if it's worth buying.
MaryClaire
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hi EC,

I'm curious to know if you like the oral irrigator you purchased?

I'm interested in buying one if you think it does a good job. It looks like you could stick it in a drawer and not have it out all the time.

TIA,
Mary
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
An oral irrigator is only as good as the technique that is used.

Whatever brand you buy I'd recommend a variable setting, pulsing action and the ability to use a medicament in it (like Listerine - great antibacterial activity - can't get that with water).

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:22 am      Reply with quote
MaryClaire wrote:
Hi EC,

I'm interested in buying one if you think it does a good job. It looks like you could stick it in a drawer and not have it out all the time.

TIA,
Mary

Mary, it's great. I've used it several times. Not only is it easy to set up, but using it is simple, and the pressure levels feel perfect. Not too soft, not too hard. The first time I had used it, mind you I had brushed and flossed before hand, the waterjet dislodged tiny pieces of food that were stuck in my back molars! Not only that but it feels good and makes your gums tingle.

Sister, I don't think it really matters if it has pulsing or not, or lets you use Listerine, I'll just do a Listerine rinse afterward.

Plus, I heard that putting Listerine, or any other liquid besides water in a Waterpik machine genuinely cuts down the life of the Waterpik.

Like I said, I was going to purchase the Waterpik Ultra for $60... but on Amazon, there were A LOT of negative reviews claiming the product didn't last long, and that it simply disappointed them. (A lot of people said Waterpiks of the past were better.)

For under 20 bucks, the Profloss is awesome!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:47 am      Reply with quote
EC413,

I think like so much these days prices go up and quality goes down, sad really!
The water pic my parents bought was built like a tank and lasted forever! When I moved out on my own and purchased mine it has been over 30 years and still working like a dream!
Thanks for cluing me and everyone interested about the huge drop in quality! If and when I have to replace mine I will look at the alternatives!
Thanks again for the review!

DM

EC413 wrote:
MaryClaire wrote:
Hi EC,

TIA,
Mary

Mary, it's great. I've used it several times. Not only is it easy to set up, but using it is simple, and the pressure levels feel perfect. Not too soft, not too hard. The first time I had used it, mind you I had brushed and flossed before hand, the waterjet dislodged tiny pieces of food that were stuck in my back molars! Not only that but it feels good and makes your gums tingle.

Sister, I don't think it really matters if it has pulsing or not, or lets you use Listerine, I'll just do a Listerine rinse afterward.

Plus, I heard that putting Listerine, or any other liquid besides water in a Waterpik machine genuinely cuts down the life of the Waterpik.

Like I said, I was going to purchase the Waterpik Ultra for $60... but on Amazon, there were A LOT of negative reviews claiming the product didn't last long, and that it simply disappointed them. (A lot of people said Waterpiks of the past were better.)

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
EC413,

I think like so much these days prices go up and quality goes down, sad really!
The water pic my parents bought was built like a tank and lasted forever! When I moved out on my own and purchased mine it has been over 30 years and still working like a dream!
Thanks for cluing me and everyone interested about the huge drop in quality! If and when I have to replace mine I will look at the alternatives!
Thanks again for the review!

DM

EC413 wrote:
MaryClaire wrote:
Hi EC,

TIA,
Mary

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

You're welcome for the review DarkMoon.

Yes it is unfortunate that the quality has dropped. I know that Waterpik was basically the leader in oral irrigators but after hearing SEVERAL people on Amazon claiming that the model's they make now don't compare to the older units both in quality, durability and use, I decided to steer clear! I am all about researching stuff and making sure I get the biggest bang for my buck! For under $20, I couldn't resist getting the ProFloss. It takes up virtually NO counter space and connects in a snap. Plus, like I mentioned, it has 4 different strengths, and it comes with 2 separate picks if you are sharing it. I love it though, I am new to oral irrigators and I love how it feels like I just got out of the dentist's chair.

Oh, and it's now in stock at Amazon. ($18 including shipping) Would make a nice stocking stuffer, or even a nice little gift for yourself!

Here's to a happier mouth! Razz
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
Trigger... OMG... i had not thought of using in my nose.. (funny, I was thinking you MIGHT be able to use in your ear? They feel so plugged... but decided against that)

so... Does he just use the same sideways head position so it spills out the other side of the nose???

Lowest setting???

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE,

Don't laugh but years ago when my kids were little the pediatrician used one to remove packed in wax! If they were so loaded with all that wax the doc's in the office couldn't see if there was an ear infection going on! My first reaction was You have got to be kidding me! It worked like a charm though! I think I'd buy separate heads if using it for this purpose!

DM
Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hmmm... perhaps we should change the name of the thread...

101 uses for your water pik!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:

Um, EC413, I think you might have hit a wrong button or something on your amazon review section, as in the mysterious 'show me only negative reviews' button Laughing

The truth is, I bought one because it was the mostly highly reviewed products I'd ever seen on amazon (and I spend far too much time reading reviews there!!). There are just over 1000 reviews, 969 of them are four or (mostly)five star reviews! Those figures are phenomenal.

Of course when you get up to that many people reviewing a product, there will be some haters, for sure. But more than %90 of buyers were VERY happy with the waterpik, which is about as high a result as I've ever seen, and even more notable for the amount of reviews.

Also, Sister Sweets works in dentistry, so she's probably likely to know more about the pulsating aspect than the rest of us. There are definitely reasons they designed it with that feature.

That said, I think it's wonderful there's a product out there for people who don't have the money to spare, or simply want to try out an oral irrigator without too much expense.

I'm sure (as you found when you saw stuff coming out after flossing and brushing) any extra care is better than none at all!

I must say though, the waterpik rocks, particularly with a great antibacterial solution added. The reason for this is it really gets blasted into areas a good gargle, swish or rinse just won't reach. I use a powerful herbal concoction from my dentist. My oral hygiene has really gone up another notch.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="trigger"]
Quote:

I must say though, the waterpik rocks, particularly with a great antibacterial solution added. The reason for this is it really gets blasted into areas a good gargle, swish or rinse just won't reach. I use a powerful herbal concoction from my dentist. My oral hygiene has really gone up another notch.

Absolutely right Trigger. And I love the herbals.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:32 am      Reply with quote
Trigger, I appreciate the input, but I still believe that Waterpik's today aren't what they used to be. I was even at Target when I was thinking about buying the Waterpik Ultra, and was turned off by the display. It honestly seemed very cheap for how much you're paying. And even if there were more good reviews outweighing the bad, ALL the bad reviews said that it eventually, over time, starting leaking... some people even said the motor eventually gave out after a year. To me, that's not worth it...regardless of how many people it happened to.

And the pulsating MIGHT be better at dislodging food and debris from tough to reach spaces, but it's not necessary in a waterjet device.

But of course, any oral irrigator is beneficial for the health of your mouth and teeth! I suppose I just suggested the ProFloss because it IS a lot cheaper, and does the job. It's almost like buying a car. People would rather have the Mercedes than the Toyota, LOL.
trigger
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I've had mine for over a year and there is not the slightest issue. Obviously there will be the odd defective device when produced at those numbers, but I understand the company is good with replacing.

I agree with you about the car comp. I'm more of a 'prestige vehicle' kind of lass Smile and can say I far prefer the ride Laughing

Hey also, I think I bought mine for forty or so bucks, so didn't think of it as an enormous outlay. But sure, for people who don't know whether it's something they're really going to want to do, or who have their money committed elsewhere, it's a fantastic option.

Really glad to hear you think it's great!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
Hmmm... perhaps we should change the name of the thread...

101 uses for your water pik!

Don't you just love multitasking gadgets! LOL

DM Very Happy

I know mine has lasted amazingly well, and the ones I purchased for the "kids"
as they moved out are all running strong!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:46 am      Reply with quote
I've always had good luck with the Hydrofloss units, been using them for over 15 years - probably have replaced them 3 times over that time span.

I use a variety of antimicrobials - usually grapefruit seed extract.

BF
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:07 am      Reply with quote
Well I've had the same waterpick for over 20
years and my oldest has had hers for 10 years and they are working like champs!
All my kids and I have them of varying ages and none have had any problems at all! My experience with the brand for 30+ years has been all
positive!

HTH
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:12 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
I've always had good luck with the Hydrofloss units, been using them for over 15 years - probably have replaced them 3 times over that time span.

I use a variety of antimicrobials - usually grapefruit seed extract.

BF

My BF has a hydrofloss and loves it. I've had the same waterpik forever also and no problems. I have several demo units of various products at the college and seem to prefer the Waterpik but there are many good options.

The best option is the one that works for you. Very Happy

Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:38 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |