Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dermarolling for Product Penetration ONLY
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia wrote:
Unbelievable!!! DM, thank you for posting that. I will definitely be more careful now.

I have been using alcohol. I put it in a spray bottle and spritz the roller before and after use. I thought alcohol was the strongest disinfectant. JJ, you mentioned switching to 1/2 water and 1/2 bleach. Is that better?

The place where your sister works looks divine.

Tonia, bleach is phenomenal for getting rid of bacteria. I've emailed Sherry (my sis) and she'll get back to me as soon as she checks her email.

Isn't that a lovely place? She lives in the mountains on the border of Georgia and North Carolina, lots of resorts there, so quite a few spas as well for such a rural area. Waterfall, where she works, is a private country club and those ladies do love their spa treatments!

Re bleach, I just found this:

Chlorine bleach is another accepted liquid sterilizing agent. Household bleach consists of 5.25% sodium hypochlorite. It is usually diluted to 1/10 immediately before use; however to kill Mycobacterium tuberculosis it should be diluted only 1/5, and 1/2.5 (1 part bleach and 1.5 parts water) to inactivate prions. The dilution factor must take into account the volume of any liquid waste that it is being used to sterilize. Bleach will kill many organisms immediately, but for full sterilization it should be allowed to react for 20 minutes. Bleach will kill many, but not all spores. It is highly corrosive and may corrode even stainless steel surgical instruments.

Bleach decomposes over time when exposed to air, so fresh solutions should be made daily.

I probably will not use the 1/2 water, 1/2 bleach formula, because that would be so corrosive, especially if you are letting the roller sit for 20 minutes. I think I'll dilute mine a bit more, and I am only going to clean the one I use for deep rolling this way (my 0.5mm). The 0.2mm I am going to continue cleaning with alcohol, but I do let mine sit in alcohol for five minutes, then hold under hot running water and let it air-dry. ~JJ

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, just got a reply from my sister about sterilization:

You guys need to get a disinfectant like "Cavicide" or even "Barbicide", & leave the tool in it for 20 minutes....this is after you have washed it with ANTI-BACTERIAL SOAP & WATER. The disinfectant we use MUST be a virucide, bacteriacide, fungicide, & tubercularcide. Can buy a spray bottle at Massage Warehouse, or any place that carries spa stuff, facial stuff, etc. An autoclave would probably be inappropriate as it would more than likely ruin the tool.

We use High Frequency on the skin to kill bacteria post extraction, NOT microcurrent!!! (Or, the BLUE LED will kill bacteria.)

Hope this helps!

ETA: I saw a documentary about MRSA recently, and they were using bleach to wipe down all surfaces in their home, wash clothing, etc.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
JJ
Is your sister talking about tools that are used on different people? Surely a dermaroller would only be used once on a client then discarded? They wouldn't use the same roller on different clients would they?

Is it clear that we are talking about implements that are for personal use only?
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
I work in a long term care facility where there has been cases of MRSA and bleach was used for all cleaning because it's the only thing apparently that's effective for killing MRSA. But it is very corrosive.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
jj and all,

I want to tell you a true occurance that happened to my ex.
While at work helping unpack supplies he was bitten by a tiny spider, he just happened to see the little bugger, within 2 days he had a very sore red bump between his cuticle and top knuckle. The following day he called me from
work to say it (really his whole arm) felt like somebody had put their knee on it and beared down all force, I called our family doctor who had me call my ex and get his butt home immediately while our doc called the local orthopedic surgeon (telling me if he wasn't available he would call 4-5 others in the surrounding area). It turned out that tiny little spider and the minuscule fangs (we couldn't see any breaks in the skin and no blood was drawn) caused an infection between the lining of the muscle (think that tough membrane on a beef roast) and the muscle itself, a staff infection. He was rushed in to surgery for I&D and IV antibiotics, or he could have lost his hand or worse his entire arm! Now a statistic 1 in 3 people carry regular staff and the resistant strain is becoming more and more common! My ex had his nail removed below the cuticle along with a good of skin and was in the hospital for 24 hours on high dose antibiotics and home on a double dose of oral antibiotics for 3 weeks and he lucked out! I am
not trying to be an alarmist but even those tiny needles are at least as long as a very small spiders fangs and must break the skin enough that you need to respect how sanitary you need to keep things! jj you asked me at one point what I roll with well I don't I am allergic to 3 major families of broad spectrum antibiotics, penicillin and all man made of the same, all sulfa Bactrim nearly killed me and all cephalasporans, so even though I don't feel the need personally at this time almost 56 I for me wouldn't risk it, I hope you can see why. Any information I have posted is out of concern for those who already do and those who are considering starting to do so!
I hope that clears everything up about my interest in the subject.
Please be careful all!
Smile
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
jj- my OOPS! on the type of machine a Derma Wand is. It is microfrequency, not microcurrent. Glad your sis is on top of things!

Quote:
We use High Frequency on the skin to kill bacteria post extraction, NOT microcurrent!!! (Or, the BLUE LED will kill bacteria.)

Do you know any place we can get one of the cleansers your sister mentioned? A cavacide or barbacide? (Need to look those up).

Quote:
The disinfectant we use MUST be a virucide, bacteriacide, fungicide, & tubercularcide.

Doesn't Tea Tree Oil fit in this category? Maybe a little TTOil in w/ the cleanser or alcohol would fit this bill. JMHO

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
foxe,

Barbucide is avalible at any beauty supply store including Sally's it's that blue liquid (diluted) salons and barber shops are required to soak brushes and combs in between uses!

HTH
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
Now that I've looked up a CaviCide and barbicide, I can see that those were excellent suggestions from your sister, jj.

Why has no one mentioned those before!?

While the barbicide is rather retro looking, I don't think I'd want one on my bathroom counter, so I may look into the CaviCide instead. Still would like to find a local place to get one. And - I'm thinking that the tea tree oil might fit in until I find some CaviCide. After all - TTO is a fungicide, antiseptic, anti-bacterial and anti viral

Thanks again jj. Your sister rocks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
This is Miranda wrote:
JJ
Is your sister talking about tools that are used on different people? Surely a dermaroller would only be used once on a client then discarded? They wouldn't use the same roller on different clients would they?

Is it clear that we are talking about implements that are for personal use only?

The reason the dermarollers used by professionals are discarded after use is because an autoclave would destroy the needles, most surgical instruments are sterilized in one and reused, otherwise the cost would become prohibitive! They are made of surgical stainless steal unlike the needles!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
The Barbicide can be purchased in a bottle and used in any attractive sterile glass container of your choice! Those units they are showing are the standard old fashioned Barber shop models!

HTH
DM Smile

foxe wrote:
Now that I've looked up a CaviCide and barbicide, I can see that those were excellent suggestions from your sister, jj.

While the barbicide is rather retro looking, I don't think I'd want one on my bathroom counter, so I may look into the CaviCide instead. Still would like to find a local place to get one. And - I'm thinking that the tea tree oil might fit in until I find some CaviCide. After all - TTO is a fungicide, antiseptic, anti-bacterial and anti viral

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
This is Miranda wrote:
JJ

Hi, Miranda. This sentence is discussing general sterilization of tools for spas and clinics in the state of Georgia:

The disinfectant we use MUST be a virucide, bacteriacide, fungicide, & tubercularcide.

They do not do dermarolling at this spa nor at any spa she has worked at. She was speaking about general requirements for sterilization only.

She does have a 0.25mm dermaroller for her personal use at home. And yes, she knows that we have all our own personal rollers. She was saying that if we are concerned about alcohol not being enough to protect us, a 20 minute soak in Barbicide and/or Cavicide would be sufficient to sterilize these rollers, after washing them with antibacterial soap and water.

However, she was addressing my concerns about MRSA, which DM brought to my attention. I have rolled for over two months with no problems, as have many of us, and I clean my rollers with alcohol, which is a disinfectant rather than a sterilization solution. My 0.5mm roller makes my face react with redness and swelling, although with absolutely no bleeding, so I swipe my face with alcohol before rolling with it and clean the roller after each roll by letting it soak in alcohol for 5 minutes. I also let it air-dry before putting it back in its case. I think this is adequate, but I may start cleaning it with a 1/10 bleach/water solution. ~ JJ

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
brierrose wrote:
I work in a long term care facility where there has been cases of MRSA and bleach was used for all cleaning because it's the only thing apparently that's effective for killing MRSA. But it is very corrosive.

Brierrose, I just saw a documentary about MRSA and bleach was all they used to clean their home, laundry and personal items. Yes, it is highly corrosive, but I am hopeful that a 1/10 bleach/water mixture, which is the normal mix, would be adequate. Do you think that ratio would be adequate, or can you tell us what ratio is used where you work? Thanks ~ JJ

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
jj and all,

I want to tell you a true occurance that happened to my ex.
While at work helping unpack supplies he was bitten by a tiny spider, he just happened to see the little bugger, within 2 days he had a very sore red bump between his cuticle and top knuckle. The following day he called me from
work to say it (really his whole arm) felt like somebody had put their knee on it and beared down all force, I called our family doctor who had me call my ex and get his butt home immediately while our doc called the local orthopedic surgeon (telling me if he wasn't available he would call 4-5 others in the surrounding area). It turned out that tiny little spider and the minuscule fangs (we couldn't see any breaks in the skin and no blood was drawn) caused an infection between the lining of the muscle (think that tough membrane on a beef roast) and the muscle itself, a staff infection. He was rushed in to surgery for I&D and IV antibiotics, or he could have lost his hand or worse his entire arm! Now a statistic 1 in 3 people carry regular staff and the resistant strain is becoming more and more common! My ex had his nail removed below the cuticle along with a good of skin and was in the hospital for 24 hours on high dose antibiotics and home on a double dose of oral antibiotics for 3 weeks and he lucked out! I am
not trying to be an alarmist but even those tiny needles are at least as long as a very small spiders fangs and must break the skin enough that you need to respect how sanitary you need to keep things! jj you asked me at one point what I roll with well I don't I am allergic to 3 major families of broad spectrum antibiotics, penicillin and all man made of the same, all sulfa Bactrim nearly killed me and all cephalasporans, so even though I don't feel the need personally at this time almost 56 I for me wouldn't risk it, I hope you can see why. Any information I have posted is out of concern for those who already do and those who are considering starting to do so!
I hope that clears everything up about my interest in the subject.
Please be careful all!
Smile
DM

DM, that is a horrible story about what happened to your ex! I have always believed that as people continue to take antibiotics, and as newer and stronger antibiotics are developed, there are many more antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria evolving. I completely understand that you don't want to take a chance on rolling. I believe that's everyone's decision for himself/herself. I myself am allergic to penicillin, so I know what you're saying. I think your post was a very good reminder to maintain extremely sanitary conditions if you are going to roll. I believe it's imperative, and we need to be very aware of this. We're all so careful about not putting our fingers into jars of creams, etc. so as not to contaminate and we need to remember that this is an invasive procedure that we are doing and proceed accordingly. ~ JJ

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
jj- my OOPS! on the type of machine a Derma Wand is. It is microfrequency, not microcurrent. Glad your sis is on top of things!

Quote:

Do you know any place we can get one of the cleansers your sister mentioned? A cavacide or barbacide? (Need to look those up).

Quote:

Doesn't Tea Tree Oil fit in this category? Maybe a little TTOil in w/ the cleanser or alcohol would fit this bill. JMHO

Foxe, that is a super idea about TTO. There are several oils and extracts that are antiviral and antibacterial. Grapefruit seed extract comes to mind.

As far as Barbicide, isn't that the blue stuff you see combs in at the hairdresser? I would think that any spa product company would sell Cavicide or Barbicide. ~ JJ

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
foxe,

Barbucide is avalible at any beauty supply store including Sally's it's that blue liquid (diluted) salons and barber shops are required to soak brushes and combs in between uses!

HTH
DM

Ooops, missed this before posting. That's great that it's at Sally's!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
If the rollers are cleaned with alcohol and then thoroughly dried, seems as though you'd be relatively safe. Most viruses, bacteria, and fungi can't survive very long without moisture...or so I have always understood. But who wants to take chances?

Looks as though Staples carries the various -cides; those seem like a better choice than bleach. I hate the stuff; no matter how careful I am, it always seems to ruin something. Anyone know if the cavicide/barbicide destroy fabrics?
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:

Isn't it wild that we just now found out about these? My sister is an excellent esthetician and does know her business. And I think she rocks too! I'll have to tell her this - she will laugh out loud. Laughing ~ JJ

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hermosa wrote:
If the rollers are cleaned with alcohol and then thoroughly dried, seems as though you'd be relatively safe. Most viruses, bacteria, and fungi can't survive very long without moisture...or so I have always understood. But who wants to take chances?

Looks as though Staples carries the various -cides; those seem like a better choice than bleach. I hate the stuff; no matter how careful I am, it always seems to ruin something. Anyone know if the cavicide/barbicide destroy fabrics?

Hermosa, I hate bleach too. Just the smell of it makes me ill. I'll be going to Sally's to get some barbicide as soon as our ice storm has passed. Rolling Eyes And I don't know about what the 'cides do to fabric. ~ JJ

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
I only have experience with Barbicide as that's what was the "standard" for many years, it is completly safe on clothing, any fabric really!

The scary thing about what happened with the ex is that was a normal strain of Staff, not the med resistant strain!

HTH
DM

jjbeacham wrote:
Hermosa wrote:

Hermosa, I hate bleach too. Just the smell of it makes me ill. I'll be going to Sally's to get some barbicide as soon as our ice storm has passed. Rolling Eyes And I don't know about what the 'cides do to fabric. ~ JJ

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
I'm going to switch to the barbecide too. It's not worth the risk. We have to have something thats antifungal, antiviral, antiseptic and antibacterial. Good grief! I'm glad someone knew we needed to kill all of that and could name a product to do the job. I would have never figured that out. JJ, please tell your sis we all said thanks.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
jjbeacham wrote:
brierrose wrote:

Brierrose, I just saw a documentary about MRSA and bleach was all they used to clean their home, laundry and personal items. Yes, it is highly corrosive, but I am hopeful that a 1/10 bleach/water mixture, which is the normal mix, would be adequate. Do you think that ratio would be adequate, or can you tell us what ratio is used where you work? Thanks ~ JJ

JJ, I don't know what ratio the cleaning staff used in their solution but I can certainly try to find out.
Even though bleach is used for cleaning of rooms etc. there's probably other methods of sterilizing smaller items that would be adequate. I'm certainly no authority in any of this but was just sharing the little bit I knew. With puncturing the skin & the possibility of staph infections & superbugs that are around now I think it is wise to take every precaution to protect yourselves.

I hope I don't sound preachy Smile I for one would love to try the dermaroller but because of where I work I don't want to take the risk.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
jjbeacham wrote:
I am hopeful that a 1/10 bleach/water mixture, which is the normal mix, would be adequate.

JJ, do you think bleach would be fine to use on the needles? I would think it might corrode them?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
jjbeacham wrote:
I am hopeful that a 1/10 bleach/water mixture, which is the normal mix, would be adequate.

JJ, do you think bleach would be fine to use on the needles? I would think it might corrode them?

Riley,
Alien posted just that on the CP thread, it's highly corrosive and would rust the needles, another thing you don't want to puncture your skin with!

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
rileygirl wrote:
jjbeacham wrote:

Riley,
Alien posted just that on the CP thread, it's highly corrosive and would rust the needles, another thing you don't want to puncture your skin with!

DM

Oops, sorry. I am only following this thread, so did not know this concern had been voiced! Very Happy
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
Riley,

I think it's actually a great thing you mentioned that concern here, this is the thread it should be on after all! Smile

DM

rileygirl wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
rileygirl wrote:
jjbeacham wrote:

Riley,

DM

Oops, sorry. I am only following this thread, so did not know this concern had been voiced! Very Happy

Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:37 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |